• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Jab Combo

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I mess around with Mario on the side. What do people think of his jab combo? I noticed you can mash it out pretty fast, and the final hit covers pretty high and yet comes from below him. I've also gotten dair'ed by my friend's Falcon trying to mash it out lol. So yeah what's up with his jabs? Would neutral ever be a good time to use them, in y'all's opinion?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried it more on floatier characters? I'm a Doc main but mess with Mario a bit, I can definetly see it being easily punishable on fast fallers. Its pretty fast though, not sure if you'd be able to react on time to SDI completely out

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried it more on floatier characters? I'm a Doc main but mess with Mario a bit, I can definetly see it being easily punishable on fast fallers. Its pretty fast though, not sure if you'd be able to react on time to SDI completely out
Yeah that's just it, even if a fastfaller CC's it or someone SDI's out of it, Mario has a good close-range game (aside from his grab range). That's really what convinces me that his jabs are worth using, it's just that I don't know particularly WHEN to use them yet haha. Obviously not while a Falcon is halfway across the map, for sure.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well you can't really react to Mario's 1-2-3, it's all too fast and it has about the same ending time as a gentleman combo from Falcon. But if you do it too much they will read the crap out of you easily and CC, smash through it, or shield then punish (if they are super fast OoS of you have bad spacing).

It's actually very similar to Falcon's 1-2-3, but faster and way easier to do (at the cost of less knock-back and Falcon's ability to follow up afterward)

All three hits have good disjoint and range but of course bad priority since they are jabs that lose to stronger grounded moves.

I notice A rookie now opts to throw them out preemptively in neutral and it works, I guess you can think of it as being similar to how samus' use their tilts and jabs to space. Mario has a similar wave dash and his final jab hit is faster to end and has more disjoint than a Samus Ftilt...I'm a fan of his Jabs, definitely one of the best if not the best Jab enders amongst the cast (Docs has more KB, less speed).

j3ly

Smash Champion
generally jab -> grab is a better option with higher payoff.

I'm not 100% when it knocks spacies down, but at the early knockdown percents (75+?), they'll often miss a tech and you can wavedash in and punish the missed tech with a smash, (jab reset works but they'll roll), or if they tend to roll into center when pressured, it sets up a punish

If you have the center, it's our lowest knockback option, so knocking somebody down into the corner can setup tech chase on reaction situation - pay off could be utilt onto a platform, fsmash, throw off stage.

Jab jab kick is safe on shield sometimes, mixup with double jab -> dair, double jab -> fsmash/2x fsmash, double jab -> late uair, double jab -> grab

You can use it just outside an opponents effective range, and if they try to punish it, try to punish them - maybe WD back fsmash

It flows into grab before knockdown percents, the earlier the better (within reason), I have in past opted to do jab jab kick again which isn't optimal, but is really easy to pull off. Watch schlimm shady VS jolteon for an example of the 123 into chaingrabs

Last edited:

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Something I noticed a few days ago while messing around: since Mario's dashdance window is small, he can crouch earlier out of his dash which means he can get out dash -> crouch -> jab about as fast as he can WD->jab, but it covers more distance than a WD. Using a tilt instead, like Dash -> crouch -> utilt, is rad, but WD -> utilt or ftilt is safer and easier to do as fast as he possibly can. Aside from smashes and grabbing, Mario's jab out of his dash attack seems like a good option against people dashing around. Just Dash -> flick down -> mash A as fast as you can. I like it a lot so far.

Top Bottom