• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Best and Worst Matchups?

Felancius

Smash Cadet
So I've been starting to main Mario after ditching Doctor Mario, and I want to know what matchups are considered good and bad against him, and what could be good options for secondaries for such matchups in you guy's opinions, and why?

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I'm not a Mario genius or anything but he struggles a lot against characters with disjointed attacks/high ranged attacks. This includes characters like :ultbowser::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdk::ultike::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultsimon::ultrichter:. He also struggles against characters who have better frame data or movement speed than him like :ultluigi::ultsheik::ultsonic:. Other than that, I think that he struggles quite a bit against :ultpeach: and may lose against :ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultchrom:.

Some notable matchups that Mario wins (against characters better than him in my opinion) are :ultinkling::ultfalco::ultfox::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultyounglink::ultpalutena::ulttoonlink::ultgreninja::ultrob::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultwolf::ultsnake: among others. I don't think he wins a lot of these by a significant amount but he still does decent against these characters in my opinion.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
I'm not a Mario genius or anything but he struggles a lot against characters with disjointed attacks/high ranged attacks. This includes characters like :ultbowser::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdk::ultike::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultsimon::ultrichter:. He also struggles against characters who have better frame data or movement speed than him like :ultluigi::ultsheik::ultsonic:. Other than that, I think that he struggles quite a bit against :ultpeach: and may lose against :ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultchrom:.

Some notable matchups that Mario wins (against characters better than him in my opinion) are :ultinkling::ultfalco::ultfox::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultyounglink::ultpalutena::ulttoonlink::ultgreninja::ultrob::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultwolf::ultsnake: among others. I don't think he wins a lot of these by a significant amount but he still does decent against these characters in my opinion.
You should probably not post anything about Mario for a while until you gather some proper info, because practically everything you said is completely wrong.

The only thing you got right is that he loses to swordies, but even then you included Bowser, DK, and the Belmonts for some weird reason, meanwhile Mario beats them easy.

THEN you go on to say Mario beats the likes of Pika/Pichu, Palutena, Wolf, and Snake, all of which are very difficult for him due to un-capeable zoning and superior neutral.

Just a complete mess.

TheLMan4

Smash Rookie
I feel as if Mario loses to most of the swordies in the game, including, :ultcloud::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultswordfighter::ultroy::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultmetaknight: He also has a bad match-up against :ultchrom:, but all Mario has to do is take his jump off-stage, then use F.L.U.D.D. That could be difficult, because of his sword spacing you out, but as long as you read his moves, one you hit him off-stage just make the most of the situation. Other bad Mario match-ups are, :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultivysaur::ultcorrin::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultsnake:.

I feel that Mario does best against heavies, because his up-air strings just beat all of them, such as, :ultbowser::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultdk::ultpiranha::ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultcharizard:.

Match-ups like :ultryu::ultken::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultvillager::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsonic::ultjigglypuff::ultisabelle: could go both ways.

Top Bottom