• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Weekly Training #1

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
-Before you read this note that you do NOT have to do this, this is for the people who can and really have the dedication to become a better mario.-

Ok so I have come up for an idea that we all should focus on becoming better Marios.
The thing is we're not amazing players yes I know. We know Mario and we
understand how to use him well but we need to step it up. Yes I am talking to all of
us when I say this. First, accept your not an amazing player. Second, accept your
character has weaknesses. Nobody is perfect, and neither is a videogame character.
But if you truly have the dedication and want to pursuit the road that I lay then great..

Objectice:platform Canceling

This is something that can be very useful if you know how to do it.
Take Smashville as an example. The scrolling platform the moves back and forth you are able to do a Platform Cancel. What you do is jump, make sure you Dair right before your on top of the platform and ta-da! You did it great right?

Goal:

I want you to try to do this as much as you can from June 27th - July 3rd.

I want at least 5 PEOPLE to do this. If you are busy then thats fine
like I said you don't have to do this. You can upload a video proving you did this or
just let me know, but if you lie to me then thats your
lose not mine you are the one who is missing out on improving.
I will do this too. Make sure you do this at least 3 days this
week! You can preform this on Smashville and Lylat.

Make sure you do 75 each time.

People who have completed this:

Video:Comming soon, or today at least.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
HARD MODE UNLOCKED: Do 75 in a row!!
Such a funny mario troll. LOL

This is something good for the mario newbs.
I'm pretty sure all the veteran marios (Even me) knows this.

But what a way to help out on the mario boards. I knew you'll like Sboards more. :)

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Well this is just the first week so Im starting out easy, and I don't think Ill be able to make any videos for a little while, my laptop broke down so Im forced to use my sister's...

steep

Smash Lord
I'm gonna do this. Starting today i will practice doing platform cancelling more reliably. And trying to implement it into my playstyle. can we not do it on BF?

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Yes Jimmy is correct. Oh and everybody should do this even if you are a so called "pro" and
"veteran". Brawl is a perishable skill, if you don't practice all of the things Mario can do
You could miss a big opportunity [A kill,spike,etc.] Just because you think you already know this and
mastered it doesn't mean you shouldn't re-visit it. I would like anybody who can do this and step it up.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
lol. This is pretty gay. The way to get better is experience and playing actual people, not repeating something 75 times in a row. This game doesn't take much in the field of execution, especially not Mario. Practice this in a real match to get a feel for it and see if it is actually useful to you. Honestly, there are better ways to spend your time.

Messing around against level 3 computers seems like a better idea than this. :/ It's essentially training mode anyway with a stage hazard.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I dunno, I think TEB's got something here. A lot of the little things like wavebouncing fireballs (all directions) and jab cancelling properly can be perfected just through repetition.

Yeah, real matches help too, but the repetition and muscle memory is what makes it stick best. After all, that's how M2K practices.

:phone:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I think the practice should be performing them in actual matches, and if left to no other option then against CPU opponents. If you do it without an opponent you can't really see the practical uses of it firsthand. If they are having trouble inputting it then maybe they should practice it a few times but not 75 times. This isn't Street Fighter with extremely technical play, and I don't recall anything Mario can do being excruciatingly difficult, or even difficult for that matter.

Also I find the OP to be offensive because it's telling me I'm not amazing. I ****ing killed M2K with Up-B.
In a casual doubles match

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Why is Mario so garbage? Played him at a smashfest for 7-8 hours today, I kind of lost the motivation to play this game anymore thanks to him.

steep

Smash Lord
Why is Mario so garbage? Played him at a smashfest for 7-8 hours today, I kind of lost the motivation to play this game anymore thanks to him.
I understand what you mean. Playing Mario is like giving yourself a handicap a lot of times and it's hard to get past that handicap. Don't give up though! It's really cool to win with him. Especially since noone else (as in people who see that you main Mario and think he's garbage) thinks you can do it. ;)

P.S. - WE still think you can do it, though. :p

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
only 1 mk in your region -______________________________-
So you're saying you'd place with Mario over here?

You forget that our region has the best Lucas, D3, Samus, Luigi/Mario, Lucario (debatable, i guess) as well as a top 3 Oli, Marth, and Wolf... AND we're neighbors with the best region in the US (NY/NJ) who comes down here all the time.

You're also forgetting that our attendance is low, so instead of a few free players every tourney to get you a not-dead-last placing, you get matched up with someone good/PR'd EVERY TOURNEY cuz there's only like 16 of us. As opposed to Socal...Pools like every tourney and a bunch of free MKs mixed in with a few good ones that would place consistently well with damn near any character.

C'mon son...even if it's harder there, it's not easy anywhere to main Mario. Not by a long shot.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd place in MD/VA with Mario. We've got Boss, myself, Inferno, 2Fast and Famous trying already (I'm forgetting someone -_-). You think you're THAT much better than we are? If at all?

I swear, you WC Marios are so cocky for none of you actually maining him. Dory, Tc1, Viviff, you...da eff...

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
lol. This is pretty gay. The way to get better is experience and playing actual people, not repeating something 75 times in a row. This game doesn't take much in the field of execution, especially not Mario. Practice this in a real match to get a feel for it and see if it is actually useful to you. Honestly, there are better ways to spend your time.

Messing around against level 3 computers seems like a better idea than this. :/ It's essentially training mode anyway with a stage hazard.
Lol Maybe you don't understand a word I said. Do this if you WANT. If you WANT to do
this in a real match be my guest I honestly don't care. And I know this is a horrible Idea :(

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
You forget that our region has the best Lucas, D3, Samus, Luigi/Mario
I live nowhere near your region good sir.

And I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, you're just doing it in a horrible way. :/ Saying "hey guys know what would be fun? playing barwl by yourself is!", it's just not something people are really going to care to do. It's also not the most practical thing in the world. What we SHOULD be telling Marios to do is to get out and play with actual people, be it at tournament or not. When I actually played I would practice 3-4 days out of the week with my practice partner because that's when we enjoyed playing the game. I wouldn't ever spend time playing it by myself unless I was extremely bored. Hell, I stopped messing around with WiFi as soon as I realized how terrible it was.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
I live nowhere near your region good sir.

And I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, you're just doing it in a horrible way. :/ Saying "hey guys know what would be fun? playing barwl by yourself is!", it's just not something people are really going to care to do. It's also not the most practical thing in the world. What we SHOULD be telling Marios to do is to get out and play with actual people, be it at tournament or not. When I actually played I would practice 3-4 days out of the week with my practice partner because that's when we enjoyed playing the game. I wouldn't ever spend time playing it by myself unless I was extremely bored. Hell, I stopped messing around with WiFi as soon as I realized how terrible it was.
I think thats something that you should do for yourself. I shouldn't have to tell you to do that.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
No, but you are misleading people into thinking that improving may come from these sub-par "training" methods. You need a disclaimer that says "****ING GET OUT AND PLAY PEOPLE"

And I don't need to play this game on a consistent basis anymore. I'm good enough as it is.

vato_break

Smash Master

You forget that our region has the best Lucas, D3, Samus, Luigi/Mario, Lucario (debatable, i guess) as well as a top 3 Oli, Marth, and Wolf... AND we're neighbors with the best region in the US (NY/NJ) who comes down here all the time.

You're also forgetting that our attendance is low, so instead of a few free players every tourney to get you a not-dead-last placing, you get matched up with someone good/PR'd EVERY TOURNEY cuz there's only like 16 of us. As opposed to Socal...Pools like every tourney and a bunch of free MKs mixed in with a few good ones that would place consistently well with damn near any character.

C'mon son...even if it's harder there, it's not easy anywhere to main Mario. Not by a long shot.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd place in MD/VA with Mario. We've got Boss, myself, Inferno, 2Fast and Famous trying already (I'm forgetting someone -_-). You think you're THAT much better than we are? If at all?

I swear, you WC Marios are so cocky for none of you actually maining him. Dory, Tc1, Viviff, you...da eff...

Don't put words in my mouth i never said i'd place with mario! heck i droped the character because he's garbage. I just seem to see a lot of low tiered characters placing in your region, like game and watches, DDDs, luigis..it just makes me jealous, wish i had the luxiory of getting to fight low tiered characters, theres nothing wrong with that, thats pretty coolsies. and Daaaaaang you seem to know so much about socal...oh wait you don't! just because we have pools doesnt mean we have large numbers, we have like 20-ish people every tournament and 10 WORLD class S/A Tier players that main TOP tiers, thats nice that you have the best jigglypuffs and samuses and ect low tiers, good job bros! it is easier to main mario in many places, MD/VA is one of those places! dunno why your so saaaalty its the truth..

and for the record, im not cocky WC mario main, im a cocky WC player, i dont like limiting myself. :)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Whatevs, Vato...I'll never be cool with you ****ting on my region...like, wtf.

You act like our low/mid tier character mains haven't taken matches off of M2K, or beaten some of your top players at one time or another.

It's hard for Mario everywhere...even if it's harder in SoCal over MD/VA, it's still ungodly difficult.

vato_break

Smash Master
Doubt that its hard in Arizona..or New Mexico..or in Missouri. Lets be realistic, it's not exactly hard everywhere. Some regions will be significantly easier than others and some will be harder but, the point is, when you main mario in a top region against top tier characters, its pointless

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well, yeah. Of course I was referring to real, recognized, established regions.

I also still think it's doable, not pointless...

Yoshis have done it, Ness has done it, Sonic has done it, Ike has done it...I think Mario's good enough to get respectable results in a good region, despite it being hard.

I just think our overall player skill isn't up to par with what's required. Be it execution of ATs like what TEB's trying to improve here, or reading/mindgames...

I think we're getting there, though.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Wow matador, chill broskie. *Gives matador a cup of cold water* xD

I had that vibe of vato being a cocky dude long ago.
But overall, he's a good player.

Placing with mario is hard ANYWERE in the world.
But i feel that mario has the chance to become the character that everyone will respect very soon.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
So much spirit in the Mario Boards!

Makes me never wanna stop trying.. ... .. .. .

Top Bottom