• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs. Marth Matchup

LetsDuet

Smash Rookie
Hi Mario mains,

As a fellow mario main myself, I'm having problems against Marth in the matchup. I've just joined the competitive scene as of recent and I've started grinding quite often. At my university's smash club, there are so many marth mains and I can't seem to think of many good approaches. Marth outranges Mario in so many aspects and in the neutral I'm having problems trying to start something. Most of the time, I end up getting grabbed and thrown offstage, and simply D-Tilted off the stage and it's impossible to recover after getting hit off 2 or 3 times. Any suggestions for approaches on Marth?

Edit: Short-hop to F-air (fast fall) is one way, and another way I find is just by dash-dancing and finding a hole in Marth's movement before I can do anything (like falling up-air or grab). Anything else?

Last edited:

Diraga

Smash Cadet
I'm having the same problem. I find that a bad Marth is easy to toss around and combo, but if they focus on spacing I can't even get in. Fireballs help but also create openings for them to run in and grab or forward air. And once I'm off the stage it might as well be a stock.

urbes

Smash Rookie
When you fight a Marth you wait for an opening. Mario is not someone that you can jut go in and win.
For example you need to wait until Marth makes a mistake or you are able to predict what he's going to do, when he does and if he does then you go in for a grab or something that can string attacks together. Mario is someone who cannot rush into the battle. space your opponent out until you can punish him for something.
Also Mario's fireballs are great you just need to use them wisely. Don't just throw them out because you think you have time.
Marth can easily take a hit then tipper you
Fireballs are great when you force him in a spot that you know you will hit him or you are trying to control where he goes.

Don't forget that Mario is bad so you will really need to try in this. work on punish game and spacing.
SO to face marth you need REALLY good spacing.
One last thing Mario recovery. use the up-B wall jump you will really need to practice this but the reward can be saving your stock. I cant count how many times it helped me out.

This post may not help much or doesnt make to much sense but i hope it helped

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
In addition to what the others have said, wavedashing out of sheild is a must. It allows you to punish badly spaced fsmashes and ftilts. Even when you can't get a hit out of it, it gets you in close for a shieldgrab, or a nair or up air oos.

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Yea wavedash oos is a must in this mu, otherwise marth can get away with a lot of unsafe stuff. Another thing: As you may know, marth is really good when his opponent is above him, esp if they are stuck on a platform. It's easier for faster characters like fox or falco to get out of a situation like that. While mario is pretty fast, he doesn't really compare with characters like that, so it's a really bad situation for him. Try your hardest not to get in situations like that, and also practice different ways of getting on and off platforms: Shield-dropping, running shield drop, wavelanding on and off platform, wavelanding immediately after falling off a platform, etc.

It's hard to get in on Marth; you often have to wait for him to make a mistake or find a great opportunity. I like fullhop dair because of its big range and high priority, it can also lead to combos. Doing a wavedash jump bair also seems decent if you can cross up. The most important part is that once you do get in on marth, you can't let him go at all. Keep the pressure up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom