• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I noticed there wasn't a thread for this, and since I'd put together this thread already on another site for the info... or lack within there of that we have for this game, I'd put it here too

Release date is Nov 20, this will be the fourth game in the Mario Tennis series and the 3rd new Console entry, along with the first console entry in 11 years. Developed by Camelot, and always has some really good looking character animations, and the ultra active and moving support crews are a cool touch as well
Gameplay Modes: As of yet little is known, beyond there being normal tennis, and a giant mushroom mode, although it's unknown whether or not Giant Shroom mode is in fact part of a more diverse item mode.
  1. Standard
  2. Giant Mushroom (makes the player grow to giant sizes)
Courses:
As of right now one course has been shown, being the standard tournament stadium, however the most recent trailer has shown a new feature that may be applicable to all stadiums. That is optional attributes, unlike previous Mario Tennis that limited each stadium to having one primary course physics attribute(slippery ice, standard court, sticky ground, etc), it now appears that you can select a custom modifier for each court, allowing greater diversity for all courts in the game. For Example, want to play the artic stadium that has ice and wind effects as defaults? now you can enjoy the wind effects without the slippery courts. Or say the Luigi's Mansion stage returns, now you can deal not only with ghosts, but add in slippery ice physics as well. This may also indicate other features you can deactivate. However at this point this is all conjecture

Playable Characters: As of right now there are 8 revealed characters, however New characters have been promised, and if recent trends are an indicator Rosalina, Nabbit, and the Koopalings are extremely likely, and Tennis tends not to drop characters. Also I'd say Egad is likely as well... now if only we could get Captain Syrup and K.Rool

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Peach
  • Waluigi
  • Toad
  • Boo
  • Daisy
  • Yoshi(just confirmed via site)
Newest trailer(that seems as if a majority of it was likely made around E3)

Honestly, feels like we're due in for a mini-direct for this one yet, we haven't had a new demo since E3, and that video is the most info we've gotten since then. We are 4 weeks out from release, and we know nothing about the game modes themselves, nor have we gotten any of the new promised characters, although we could chalk up some of that to Nintendo's recent radio silence. If Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Splatoon are any indicator we are a week or two out from blanket ad marketing on the web and on children's channel. Personally I think info release is about to ratchet up, and that they'll start doing preview sessions in a week with various news outlets, and when things start flowing, they'll really flow

So any thoughts, speculation, hopes? Lets get some discussion going
Edit: Site page is up, however Full site is not yet completed
http://mariotennis.nintendo.com/ultra-smash/ , same info for the most part, but a silhouette confirms Yoshi, and we have control reconfirmation
Between the lines
Control your character’s every movement on the court, choosing the correct shot and timing it just right to outwit your opponent.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Good to hear there's finally some more information about this game. Comes out the day after my birthday, so I will be picking this up alongside Falco amiibo

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I-I-I-I had no interest in this before but I might have to get it now.

Also the Amiibo compatibility is just like Smash Bros which is really cool, and it even works online.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also I took a screenshot of the character screen, and honestly I think those blocks are just a general indicator not a precise one, or since a key part of tennis is doubles, what if each block contains a pair?

That would bring us up to at least 8, and they promised new characterS not just a single one. going off colors Nabbit and Diddy Kong are possible, but then again colors could mean nothing. Characters with existing HD models are likely if they don't require outfits, for example the Koopalings. Heh, if I wanted to be optimistic Well, what if Diddy is in the red one, and as a Newcomer the Green one is K.Rool, and matter of fact there is no other obvious NEW Green character(though if we go by partners could be Piranha Petey as a returning)
Of course until we see the actual character select who knows
XD

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This game looks so bland compared to the likes of Power Tennis. And they couldn't even add Diddy after he was unceremoniously kicked out of MK8? I wasn't going to get it anyway, but I'm disappointed in Camelot. Make a new Golden Sun already.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think the expansion in the default stadiums court types, is actually pretty cool, since traditionally you had standard/rough/grass type courts, but now you have Standard(blue)/Sand/Ice/Rough(red)/Grass/?(Mushroom texture, bouncy maybe?)/?(pink color), which means that you have at least 7 court types on the standard/non-gimmick course compared to the traditional 3. Of course, that's without counting Character stadiums, which while not yet confirmed, are traditionally unlockable, so it's quite possible that them and the mini-game mode are both under wraps for now, which is possible, as they weren't present in MT64's marketing either

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The bad thing is that once again, a Mario game sacrifices characters so that they can justify the mediocre gameplay. Sticker Star, Paper Jam, Mario Kart 8, and now Ultra Smash.
And the game's gonna be released in a month, correct?

If they're taking their sweet *** time to confirm good stuff, that's idiotic

If this is all we're getting... it's still idiotic but at least they announced stuff on time. lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Mario Kart 8
>Mediocre gameplay

You got that wrong. The content was lacking (DLC helped mitigate it though), but the gameplay is easily the best in the series. Certainly better than the drivel of MKWii.

It looks to be the same case here. You have options to basically make this game play like any previous Mario Tennis, but the content is lacking so far.

However, I think they have more to reveal. There can't be only 5 generic courts and nothing else.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
>Mario Kart 8
>Mediocre gameplay

You got that wrong. The content was lacking (DLC helped mitigate it though), but the gameplay is easily the best in the series. Certainly better than the drivel of MKWii.

It looks to be the same case here. You have options to basically make this game play like any previous Mario Tennis, but the content is lacking so far.

However, I think they have more to reveal. There can't be only 5 generic courts and nothing else.
You're on to something here. It seems that Nintendo post-Wii era seems to be going back to their own roots, by instead focusing on what you said - gameplay over the amount of content available at the launch of the game. DLC is then added to gradually add meat into their own published games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dry Bowser is an unlockable character...

That means I need to get this game

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To this day, I even wonder what went on their minds when they've though a playable Sprixie was a good idea. But then again, we did get Luma in Open Tour and Donkey Kong Jr. in the original.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To this day, I even wonder what went on their minds when they've though a playable Sprixie was a good idea. But then again, we did get Luma in Open Tour and Donkey Kong Jr. in the original.
Luma was in the 3DS Tennis game because they intended to put Rosalina into the game, but they ran into technical limitations with the 3DS and couldn't come up with a satisfactory compromise for whatever they were trying to do, so they put in Luma instead.

Looking at what they did with her in Ultra Smash, I can see why Rosalina may have caused some problems on 3DS. She has a lot of dynamic physics objects on her and she has the most complex animations due to the floating and all the powers they are letting her use.

That being said, Luma needs to be a playable mainstay in these kinds of games. He should be in the Tennis games going forward at least, as Rosalina's partner character.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Eh, It's pretty par per course when it comes to Roster size, while it has less minion picks, overall it literally has no clones other than Dry Bowser, and he may in fact be unique, which is more than the previous titles... I would have preferred Dry Bones or the return of DK Jr though

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Smash Bros, once again, proving that it's a poison to Nintendo franchises. Why is Bowser Jr in that damn Koopa Clown Car?

RIP Jr.'s Legs: 2002 - 2014

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Jr. has been stuck in his car since long before Smash. It started with NSMB games and Galaxy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Jr. has been stuck in his car since long before Smash. It started with NSMB games and Galaxy.
It's still quite stupid and lazy when you consider that Bowser Jr. didn't even need the Koopa Clown Car in Mario Power Tennis, AND Mario Tennis Open. He might as well be classified as a Defense character if he's relying on a flying bowl to do all of his dirty work now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really see a problem with it. It's something he has become iconic for, and plenty of other characters "cheat". Mainly the ones who fly around the court. Rosalina has a pair of very fit looking legs yet she ain't using them, not to mention she levitates the ball. But it's fine, as she is iconic for floating around and using magic and being godly. Just like how Bowser Jr. is iconic for the clown car and his gadgets.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly the clown car is very fitting of Jr's personality, he's the spoiled son of a king, do you really expect him to play fairly?
Well, Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush has been known to cause chaos for his opponents on multiple occasions, AND it's the tool that he used the most when he made his first debut.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Eh I'm not sure what to say. I love the Mario Tennis games as well as tennis in general, though this game is looking... eh. I don't mind the new characters though I absolutely hate that you're always stuck in that giant stadium. Some of the new modes are nice but not enough for me to pay $50 for it.

Unless something amazing is revealed soon, I'll probably skip this one.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
The game looks great so far, but not as good as Mario Power Tennis though. I'll pick it up in the winter season.

I'm not sure why they choose to put Bowser jr in a cart on Ultra Tennis when he can play without it on Power Tennis. That makes no sense. Hopefully, we can get something interesting on DLC like on MK8. Like characters from different franchises, and more courts. Like :4ness: as an all-around &:4lucas:as a tricky character; :4zss: with her as a defensive or speed character. :4kirby: as a Tricky or Technical character. :4pit: as an all-around and :4palutena:as a Technical, defensive, or Tricky character. :4link: as an defensive character, :4zelda: as an Technical character, and :4ganondorf: as an power character. This is how I predict their style if these characters from different franchise come out on the DLC.
I rather not see Metal Mario, Metal Peach, or any other clone(No offend) unless its :4drmario: even though I've enjoy Tanooki Mario in MK8 because the roster in there was just slapped in to me.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The game looks great so far, but not as good as Mario Power Tennis though. I'll pick it up in the winter season.

I'm not sure why they choose to put Bowser jr in a cart on Ultra Tennis when he can play without it on Power Tennis. That makes no sense. Hopefully, we can get something interesting on DLC like on MK8. Like characters from different franchises, and more courts. Like :4ness: as an all-around &:4lucas:as a tricky character; :4zss: with her as a defensive or speed character. :4kirby: as a Tricky or Technical character. :4pit: as an all-around and :4palutena:as a Technical, defensive, or Tricky character. :4link: as an defensive character, :4zelda: as an Technical character, and :4ganondorf: as an power character. This is how I predict their style if these characters from different franchise come out on the DLC.
I rather not see Metal Mario, Metal Peach, or any other clone(No offend) unless its :4drmario: even though I've enjoy Tanooki Mario in MK8 because the roster in there was just slapped in to me.
I'd also like to see Nintendo extend the mario spin-offs to include other franchises, they've already begun with MK8 but they could go even further

We could have:
Mario - All-around
Luigi - All-Around
Peach - Technical
Bowser - Power
Rosalina - Power
Bowser Jr - Defensive
Toad - Speed
Yoshi - Speed
Wario - Power
DK - Power
Diddy - Speed
Dixie - Technical
Link - Defensive
Zelda - Technical
Ganondorf - Power
Samus - Tricky/Technical
Dark Samus - Power
Pit - All-Around
Palutena - Technical/Defensive
Kirby - All-Around
Meta Knight - Speed
King Dedede - Defensive
Marth - Speed
Ike - Power
Fox - Speed
Falco - Tricky
Pikachu - Speed
Charizard - Power
Mewtwo - Tricky
Lucario - Technical
Ness - Technical
Lucas - Tricky
Little Mac - Speed
Falcon - Power/Speed??
Villager - All-Around
Isabelle - All-Around
Olimar - Technical
Inkling - Tricky

Each series could have a stadium each
Mario - Mushroom Kingdom/Peach's Castle
DK - DK Jungle
Zelda - Hyrule Castle
Metroid - Planet Zebes
Kirby - Green Greens
Kid Icarus - Palutena's Temple
Fire Emblem - Arena Ferox
Star Fox - Corneria
Pokemon - Any city/Pokemon Stadium
Earthbound - Magicant
Little Mac - Boxing Ring
F-Zero - Mute City/Big Blue
Pikmin - Distant Planet
Animal Crossing - Generic Town (I couldn't think of any other name)
Splatoon - Inkopolis

It could be super fun

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'd also like to see Nintendo extend the mario spin-offs to include other franchises, they've already begun with MK8 but they could go even further

We could have:
Mario - All-around
Luigi - All-Around
Peach - Technical
Bowser - Power
Rosalina - Power
Bowser Jr - Defensive
Toad - Speed
Yoshi - Speed
Wario - Power
DK - Power
Diddy - Speed
Dixie - Technical
Link - Defensive
Zelda - Technical
Ganondorf - Power
Samus - Tricky/Technical
Dark Samus - Power
Pit - All-Around
Kirby - All-Around
Meta Knight - Speed
King Dedede - Defensive
Marth - Speed
Ike - Power
Fox - Speed
Falco - Tricky
Pikachu - Speed
Charizard - Power
Mewtwo - Tricky
Lucario - Technical
Ness - Technical
Lucas - Tricky
Little Mac - Speed
Falcon - Power/Speed??
Villager - All-Around
Isabelle - All-Around
Olimar - Technical
Inkling - Tricky

DK - DK Jungle
Zelda - Hyrule Castle
Metroid - Planet Zebes
Kirby - Green Greens
Star Fox - Corneria
Earthbound - Magicant
Little Mac - Boxing Ring
F-Zero - ???
Pikmin - Distant Planet
Splatoon - Inkopolis

It could be super fun
I doubt Nintendo will put Pokemon in tennis; As so as Little Mac, Marth, and Ike, but good picks on the characters stats and the stages, too.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Looking at a few of the reviews for this game, I'm really glad I chose Mario Tennis 64 on the VC over this. It's a shame because this game probably would have been a lot more fun if they had more characters, different courts, and more modes. I honestly have no idea what Nintendo was thinking when they made this.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
At Wal-Mart right now, but surprisingly enough, I can't find this game at all. And it doesn't look like the store ever even had the game to begin with, as all of the spots for the WiiU section have been filled up. Strange.

:094:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

We could have:
Mario - All-around
Luigi - All-Around
Peach - Technical
Bowser - Power
Rosalina - Power
Bowser Jr - Defensive
Toad - Speed
Yoshi - Speed
Wario - Power
DK - Power
Diddy - Speed
Dixie - Technical
Link - Defensive
Zelda - Technical
Ganondorf - Power
Samus - Tricky/Technical
Dark Samus - Power
Pit - All-Around
Kirby - All-Around
Meta Knight - Speed
King Dedede - Defensive
Marth - Speed
Ike - Power
Fox - Speed
Falco - Tricky
Pikachu - Speed
Charizard - Power
Mewtwo - Tricky
Lucario - Technical
Ness - Technical
Lucas - Tricky
Little Mac - Speed
Falcon - Power/Speed??
Villager - All-Around
Isabelle - All-Around
Olimar - Technical
Inkling - Tricky

DK - DK Jungle
Zelda - Hyrule Castle
Metroid - Planet Zebes
Kirby - Green Greens
Star Fox - Corneria
Earthbound - Magicant
Little Mac - Boxing Ring
F-Zero - Mute City/Big Blue
Pikmin - Distant Planet
Splatoon - Inkopolis

It could be super fun
Nah, I would still like to play as characters who are made for these types of games, like Daisy and Toadette....

It would be a sad day for me if they got shafted in favour of outside franchise characters, rendering them useless.

D

Deleted member

Hey, guys. I don't give a single flip what kind of content this game lacks at the moment, just tell me one thing very simply as someone who's interested.

Is the game fun? All I wanna know is if the core game itself is fun. I'll pick it up if so. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Hey, guys. I don't give a single flip what kind of content this game lacks at the moment, just tell me one thing very simply as someone who's interested.

Is the game fun? All I wanna know is if the core game itself is fun. I'll pick it up if so. Thanks!
If you are intrested in core gameplay, pick up Mario Tennis N64 on the cheap, or Power Tennis on GCN (Wii has messed up motion controls!)

Ultra Smash has an AWFUL tendency to make you charge shots automatically, and you don't have as many control or sound options as the older games. It also has a tendency to make you lunge for the ball AUTOMATICALLY no matter what - I've lost many rallies because of this. And that's not even covering how broken and unbalanced the mega mushroom mechanic is.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
It's still quite stupid and lazy when you consider that Bowser Jr. didn't even need the Koopa Clown Car in Mario Power Tennis, AND Mario Tennis Open. He might as well be classified as a Defense character if he's relying on a flying bowl to do all of his dirty work now.
What's the problem with making a character unique compared to other characters? You're calling it lazy; I'm calling it genius.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Maybe because Bowser Jr. was never tied down by a Koopa Clown Car when he made his debut in Super Mario Sunshine.
So what? Everyone in that game plays tennis using their arms and feet, everyone in Smash uses their hands or weapons to fight, why not actually make someone unique and make them fight/play in a car? That argument doesn't apply.

Also an fyi. Sunshine came out 15 years ago. Current New Super Mario games include Bowser Jr. in a clown car so that it could represent that series. Are you seriously complaining to the fact that Bowser Jr. is in a clown car?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also an fyi. Sunshine came out 15 years ago. Current New Super Mario games include Bowser Jr. in a clown car so that it could represent that series. Are you seriously complaining to the fact that Bowser Jr. is in a clown car?
Pretty much. I liked how Bowser Jr. could use his magic paintbrush to try to mess up other players, but seeing him get stuck in a Koopa Clown Car for the spin-offs makes me think that he's turning lazy on us; even a generic enemy could've been made to operate the Koopa Clown Car.

I even think that the only reason why Bowser Jr. was given the Koopa Clown Car for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U was so that the Koopalings could be shoehorned into the game.

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. I liked how Bowser Jr. could use his magic paintbrush to try to mess up other players, but seeing him get stuck in a Koopa Clown Car for the spin-offs makes me think that he's turning lazy on us; even a generic enemy could've been made to operate the Koopa Clown Car.

I even think that the only reason why Bowser Jr. was given the Koopa Clown Car for Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U was so that the Koopalings could be shoehorned into the game.
I won't deny that Jr.'s magic would've been a nifty tool as a move in some form. According to the Mario wiki, Jr. is supposedly lazy, so you might be right with that statement, lol. It also does state that he is spoiled (which is quite evident in his personality), so I assume that Bowser would often spoil his son with all these toys and shenanigans in attempts to slow Mario down in his rescue missions. Personally, I think the clown car and Bowser Jr.'s spoiled nature fit together well, but yeah, it would be cool if Bowser Jr. utilized his paintbrush in some other way than his Final Smash. Referring to your statement concerning the Koopalings, I personally found wonderful that they'd included them as alts. It created a broader roster of characters (even if they're alts, they're still considered individual characters in the game) and represented an iconic group of spoiled brats into the mix that you would otherwise been unable to imagine if Bowser Jr. didn't fight with his clown car. And I, personally, LOVE the Koopa Kids, despite everyone having different opinions. I love Ludwig Von Koopa; not only is he my favorite Koopaling, he's also one of my favorite enemies overall in my book.

Top Bottom