• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Social Thread

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
I am just a beginner mario main, but personally prefer mario versus fast fallers just because of his uptilt.

Mario's fsmash is really good for wavedash tech reads versus characters with long tech rolls like sheik and falco. Mario's more horizontal fireball is really good for hitting spacie side-b to set up for a cape.

I feel most of the statements your going to get are going to be more preference-oriented because doc simply does slightly better in almost every matchup. But mario definitely does have a better matchup versus falcon, because of his uptilt's ability to nullify nair approaches if used correctly while also setting up for huge followups because it always hits upwards, imo.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Sup, doods. Just stopping in to say hi, introduce myself, and get reacquainted with the Mario boards. I have been a Mario main since about 2003, but outside of the Alabama Thread/regional boards, I have never been very active on Smashboards. I'm kind of a late bloomer in terms of skill and keeping up with the metagame, and it has taken time to adopt good habits and get rid of bad habits (even pre-competitive habits). Melee came out my first semester of college and I always knew it had potential, but it wasn't until 2007 that I started bumping into the competitive community. Add to that the uncertainty of the game's future in the 2008/2010 timeframe, and maybe it's not that surprising that my dedication to "keeping up" has fluctuated. But it's 2015, the game is as healthy as ever, and the tools for consuming and exchanging information have never been better. I am constantly amazed at the way new players approach Melee, compared to ten years ago.

I'm here to learn.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hey SK8orDIE SK8orDIE ! I was actually at an Alabama tournament a couple weeks ago and won that. Played against Ragnarok and Rice in the Finals. I'm also a Mario main(hence the pic lol), but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully I can help you with some stuff.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So if I'm going full out Mario how would I deal with Marth?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Turns out mario's up and down throws are slightly weaker than doc's, meaning his chaingrabs last longer. I'll make a table like the magus doc one for you guys real soon

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
Turns out mario's up and down throws are slightly weaker than doc's, meaning his chaingrabs last longer. I'll make a table like the magus doc one for you guys real soon
YES! I feel there's so many differences between doc and mario that are not documented anywhere. Like things such as doc's triple jab cycle being slower. If there is information like this anywhere, I haven't been able to find it yet.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I thought the triple jab cycle was common knowledge.

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I just never played doc until recently lol. It would just be nice to have all the subtle differences all in one place.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yeah. I just never played doc until recently lol. It would just be nice to have all the subtle differences all in one place.
I had been considering making a video of these differences (and one for YL and Link)
I also wanted to one on a general overview of all moves and their similarities b/n characters (like a family move tree)

But It is almost all out there by now, just spread out sort of (including the throw data)

- In SDM's frame data spreadsheets
- The hitbox threads
- The Masterhand tool, and even easier is the spreadsheet created from all the compiled BK, KG, WBK data
- The tech/getup data in the eponymous thread

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Ah, Mario. The first character I picked up in the first Smash game I played. If I ever go to a Melee tournament, I will choose Mario. After all, I grew up with his franchise and don't see him a lot in Melee tournaments.

BTW, his star KO in Melee was my childhood. Well, what he says when he is Star KO'ED.

cornandbeans

Smash Cadet
Ah, Mario. The first character I picked up in the first Smash game I played. If I ever go to a Melee tournament, I will choose Mario. After all, I grew up with his franchise and don't see him a lot in Melee tournaments
I think it is sad you don't see Mario very often in tournament. I mean, to anybody whose watched Mario greats like Mang0 (may not be a mario main, but he plays a damn good mario) or the few matches Brown Mario has online, or the modern mario greats such as a rookie, you'd know he has potential. I have been playing the character for quite a while now and he is so much fun to play as. His movement just feels so fluent, and it's fairly easy to rack up combos with the character, his only down fall (and the only one that prohibits him from being 'tournament viable') is his lack of KO power. Having played the character for so long, I normally don't KO my opponent until I have them at 100% damage. But still, despite his flaws, he's my favorite character in the game, and he's going to be my main from here on end. :p

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I don' know what's so sad about it....Mario sucks against floaties and most mid weights...he does not have a good combo game or KO setups on anyone that isn't a FFer.

If you play Mario at a high level you understand how frustrating and unequal those MUs are and that his lack of KO power is the least of his problems. This game at a high level is still played because you want to have fun using a character, Mario stops being fun at the top levels of Melee.

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
Pretty vague question, but I like to pick Yoshi's and practice wavedash, ledge dashes, wavelands, autocancels, shield drops etc. I also turn game music off and SFX on max so I can hear when I'm fast falling.
Thanks dood! Also should I be dash dancing with Mario or just jumping around? Right now I just kind of go back and forth without much thought, and I KNOW you're supposed to vary lengths of dashes to confuse your opponent but I don't know how useful it is with Mario

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Thanks dood! Also should I be dash dancing with Mario or just jumping around? Right now I just kind of go back and forth without much thought, and I KNOW you're supposed to vary lengths of dashes to confuse your opponent but I don't know how useful it is with Mario
Mario's most universal movement option for all his match ups is wavedash. Try to get max distance on your WD's in practice. Of course you also have to combine wavedash with dash dancing, just like with every character, but in mario's case he relies more on wavedash. Try to practice max distance dash dances as well. You have to mess around with it to get a feel how of long his dash dance range is. Practice wd oos as well, very important tool for mario.

A really awesome technique to speed up your mario quickly is auto cancel upair. If you input uair very early in your short hop then you will be able to autocancel it even with a fast fall. So: Shot hop -> uair as soon as possible -> fast fall as soon as possible -> auto cancel. This uair is super good for combos since it has almost no lag and is done in a short hop. It's also a good move to punish whiffs with because it can hit standing opponents. (Try to hit a grounded fox with your AC upair). It's also a great shield pressure mix up. I've seen n0ne do an AC uair to cross up their shield and then turnaround and start jab pressure.

Last edited:

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
I think it is sad you don't see Mario very often in tournament. I mean, to anybody whose watched Mario greats like Mang0 (may not be a mario main, but he plays a damn good mario) or the few matches Brown Mario has online, or the modern mario greats such as a rookie, you'd know he has potential. I have been playing the character for quite a while now and he is so much fun to play as. His movement just feels so fluent, and it's fairly easy to rack up combos with the character, his only down fall (and the only one that prohibits him from being 'tournament viable') is his lack of KO power. Having played the character for so long, I normally don't KO my opponent until I have them at 100% damage. But still, despite his flaws, he's my favorite character in the game, and he's going to be my main from here on end. :p
That's really good that you have character loyalty. and I will always love bowser no matter how much I lose, but the problem is his under representation in the current meta, some top players have a pocket mario, but the best mario doesn't have a really good showing at majors.

Which is not an insult, in fact it leads me to this

We need to work like hell, mario used to be high tier, and this character has some ridiculous strengths, I'm looking to pick him up, so who else is with me. A Rookie, I think, being our best, or at least one of the best, you could be top 100 someday, and mario could I least be higher than even MY secondary (ganon)

20KB

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new here. New to melee and to smashboards but I love Mario in smash, I read the posts in this thread and thought the concept of walljumping after up b was amazing! Then I struggled with it for quite a while and discovered how much either hugging or not hugging the wall when you up b makes a difference so I labbed quite a bit and decided to make a youtube video for what I think should be called Hug Jumping (and the Max Distance up b wall jump Max Jumping) this is it if you want to look at it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5F-UFThrGI

I'm sure most people don't really care, but as I was trying to learn this I couldn't really figure out why sometimes it was working and sometimes it felt like I could NEVER get it to work, I think distinguishing the two types of walljump after up b would be really helpful for players like me that are just plain new to the game, or players that are new to this Mario specific tech.

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Hey guys, do you guys have a Mario discord? He is one of my secondaries and I think I'm gonna get more into him. Also How is everyone? Who are the good Marios now? (Ya know, besides Everyone's favorite Wario from Pensacola)

Top Bottom