• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i just wanted to let you know you can vote a Mario RPG character if you want to have it playable in Smash Crusade
Geno is already playable however if you would like Mallow, Fawful, Dimentio or anyone you can go ahead and vote

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
After a little over two months of putting it off, I've finally been able to consistently make progress in this game. There's a good chance I'll beat it today.

I'm having fun, and my desire to see Geno in Smash has been solidified.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
i just wanted to let you know you can vote a Mario RPG character if you want to have it playable in Smash Crusade
Geno is already playable however if you would like Mallow, Fawful, Dimentio or anyone you can go ahead and vote

This is a really good find. Crusade was always a neat game. Glad to see it still going strong!

I also updated the OP for this thread to include images of the fan projects. Does this make the OP feel more full of content or does it just look more cluttered and messy? I just fear I'm hiding content behind spoiler tags that most will probably skim by.

Edit: My two votes went to TF2 Soldier and Mallow

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
We've come full circle.
Shadow and Geno melancholy.png

"...I just really, really want to grant more wishes, Shadow. Something just always gets in the way. Y'know?"

"I understand. But you know, we have to trust people to grant their own wishes, sometimes. They're stronger than we think. Stronger than they believe, themselves."

"I want to help them."

"...We do what we can. The rest is up to them."

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sean Hicks has been making some really nest looking Stickers/Emojis for Mario Party Superstars. They look extremely official! I've seen Fawful and the Red Axem Ranger so far but he mentioned he might get a chance to work on more.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
When I mentioned that hypothetical Christmas tour, it got me thinking what Geno could actually be like, if he were to come to the game.

Given how most highlight racers are in these tours, he'd probably be High End, and for his Special Item, I couldn't think of anything better than his ultimate special attack.

Attachments

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Is it weird that when I come to these boards, every single time, I am sort of hit with nostalgia for speculation.

My brain has already accepted that getting characters is over. I don’t have any thoughts it who might be getting in or isn’t. I don’t have this feeling that there will be another character. I just feel, not empty, just wistful.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So.. Y'know my girlfriend Mimi from Super Paper Mario? I've been wondering how exactly to best translate her design properly into a non-flat space. I mean I did a doodle ages ago, but it was eh. Do you keep her head square, or round it out like flesh? I've seen plenty of artists give her a sort of Beanish look, with squishy green skin and humanlike hair. I've also seen some go full on humanoid, with brown skin tones and a nose and all.

..But, see, Mimi is weird. We don't even actually know what she is. The game itself offers multiple choices for a backstory - that she was related to the Pixls, or that she was a failed magic experiment - but they're just presented as rumors. Mimi's true form raises even more questions, with all of the neck-snapping and having the same text box as the Shadow Queen. Also...

Flip into 3D while engaged with her true form, and you'll see gears and machinery in her head, which is another odd point. How would that function in a non-Paper Mario aesthetic?

MattX20

Smash Hero
So.. Y'know my girlfriend Mimi from Super Paper Mario? I've been wondering how exactly to best translate her design properly into a non-flat space. I mean I did a doodle ages ago, but it was eh. Do you keep her head square, or round it out like flesh? I've seen plenty of artists give her a sort of Beanish look, with squishy green skin and humanlike hair. I've also seen some go full on humanoid, with brown skin tones and a nose and all.

..But, see, Mimi is weird. We don't even actually know what she is. The game itself offers multiple choices for a backstory - that she was related to the Pixls, or that she was a failed magic experiment - but they're just presented as rumors. Mimi's true form raises even more questions, with all of the neck-snapping and having the same text box as the Shadow Queen. Also...

Flip into 3D while engaged with her true form, and you'll see gears and machinery in her head, which is another odd point. How would that function in a non-Paper Mario aesthetic?
Good question. I suppose her body would be fully 3 dimensional for the effect?

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised it's even gotten to this point honestly, didn't a test demo like this from before get a strike from Nintendo a while back?

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'd buy ten of a SMRPG remake. Or just a straight SNES port, y'know. The fact that Nintendo/Square-Enix/whoever else won't give me anything I want even if I pay them is just the norm these days, though. Like it's normal for ants to bite you.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
An old concept for a mario and luigi sequel to branch out and use extra characters. In retrospect, I should have thrown in Bowser (with Bowser's Inside Story) controls.

We start mario 1 style for dungeon the first is like many mario rpg offerings, Bowser's castle. Bowser has kidnapped the princess and the brothers must go to his castle and defeat Bowser (after a brief stop in toad town with a hammer bros based mini boss, where you can even learn your first bros attack) to return Peach to safety.

From there some official reason is made to go to Sarasaland, where the players find Daisy at the entrance and that's where we realize unlike most mario and Luigi games, you're going to have a four man party throughout the game. Area 2 and the first fully sized area is Sarasaland as you go through the bosses (and lands) of super Mario land to fight tatanga. For this area you have Peach on the X Button and Daisy on Y. Peach and Daisy have their own bros attacks called princess attacks. And also everyone gets a 'Best Friend Attacks' or BF attacks menu which also uses FP. For these attacks characters that use the X button team with Mario and the A button, and characters using the y button will team with Luigi and the B button. True to the series humor, they will almost call these Boyfriend attacks, but Luigi acts like too much of a goofball.

Which is a good thing because after this world Daisy leaves the party and mario gets some well deserved sleep. However Tatanga, now also beaten by the brother commiserated with Bowser and Kamek shows them technology from Dream Team and Kamek unleashes a horde of villainy on Mario's dream in the form of Mouser, Hothead, Triclyde, and Wart and their armies of minions. E. Gadd realizes Mario is under attack and sends Luigi, Peach and Toad in to help. Toad becomes your Y button character and gets some BF attacks with Luigi. You beat Mario's bad dream to realize it was all a diversion tactic.

Airships captained by Bowser's Koopa Kid generals have dethroned every king of the mushroom kingdom and turned them into animals. Toad remarks that things feel eerily familiar and that they've done this before. At this point Tatanga's armies, led by a new mechawario general join in as spaceships fly side by side with the airships.

Daisy arrives on one of the magic carpets from a mini game in area 3 and no one knows how she got it since they could have sworn they were just in Mario's dream, players must choose either Toad or Daisy for their Y button character and go through a couple of dungeons and bosses that are made in homage to Mario 3, and save the day again.

Huzzah. But our bad guys are beaten but not done yet. Wart and his troops have somehow also escaped Mario's dream and have conspired with Kamek to open time itself and attack when the brothers are at their weakest, when they were babies briefly dropped on dinosaur island by the stork on their way to Brooklyn. Unfortunately Peach, Daisy, and Toad were not able to make it.

So for area 4, dinosaur island the brothers will team up with Yoshi or the baby versions of themselves, depending on the part of the story. Players go through mario and Luigi areas and bosses designed in homage to Mario world 1 and 2. Yoshi has BF attacks that work like Trio attacks and like paper mario and Bowser use both the x and y buttons. When using Yoshi you don't have a fourth character. And the babies use x and y buttons like partners in time and change the blocking and attacking mechanics similarly.

But of course this is a mario and Luigi game, and the babies had a mario and Luigi adventure before. Until the continued losing and familiarity of events of thwarting the Bowser Tatanga alliance has force Tatanga to go for outer space reinforcements who also hate the baby Mario bros... and that's how we have shroobs joining the villainous alliance led by princess shroob as the seeming final boss of this world. The battle with her is cataclysmic and the bros are sent back to the future (as well as the important villains) where they crash land in the beanbean kingdom.

Where it seems the shroobs have flourished since they changed the past and the Beanbean kingdom is overrun. The villains rejoice at their apparent victory until shroobs begin to possess and overtake them. Mario and Luigi do battle with a shroob possessed Mechawario and upon winning the shroobs realize Wart, Kamek, Bowser, and Tatanga need beefing up. Our five villains are taken back to the mothership at Cackletta's castle when it seems an army of shroobs will still overtake the brothers unless they have backup.

And they do. Peasley shows up with an unexpected ally who wishes to conquer the beanbean kingdom for himself and rescue Cackletta from her current fate as Princess Shroobletta.

And boy, does he have Fury. So there's your x and y buttons (Peasley and Fawful) as mario and Luigi tribute their own franchise and go through a retread with a twist of the beanbean kingdom.

Shroobletta gets defeated, the source of her power gets exposed.

And Fawful seizes that. Fawful seizes that but good. And he recaptures control of all the villains as well as every previous world and sends them to conquer dinosaur island (Kamek and wart), the mushroom kingdom (bowser), Sarasaland (Tatanga and MechaShroobWario TM) and the Beanbean kingdom (Fawful and now subservient Shroobletta) once more but now in Fawful's name. The bros and peasley are rescued in the nick of time by E Gadd, Toad and the Princesses to reconvene in safety.

As the players recapture the worlds of the game, they can choose their x button to be Peach or Peasley and their y button to be Daisy or Toad. Or choose to have Yoshi be the X and Y buttons. And change their pick at save points.

Beat the bosses, save the worlds, save the day.

In New Game Plus players can choose whatever X or Y button combinations of allies they wish, including babies and Fawful, at any point of the game.

DLC for the game comes with its own story mode sized area comparable to the other areas in the game and their own allies.

DLC world and allies set one: Super Mario RPG. Allies Geno (x) and Mallow (y).

DLC world and allies set two: Princess Partners in Time. The only allies that cannot be played in any other part of the game, even on new game plus baby Peach (a) and baby Daisy (b)

Also comes with a bonus world where you play as Yoshi and Baby Daisy/Baby Peach

DLC and allies set three: donkey Kong country. Donkey Kong (x) and Diddy Kong (Y)

DLC and allies set four: New Super Mario brothers. Toad (x). Giving an x button toad that can team up with Mario where none existed before. And Nabbit (y).

DLC and allies set five: Paper Mario. Paper Mario is an X and Y button character.

Also comes with a side story where for whatever reason paper mario and baby Daisy/baby Peach have to save the day.

All X and Y button characters have moves with their respective BF attack brother. As well as a set with every other Y button character (if they're an x button character) and every other X button character (if they're a y button character). Exceptions are Yoshi and Paper Mario who have Trio attacks with the brothers and the baby princesses.

Beating any DLC world makes that character chooseable at any time in the regular game on new game plus.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Speaking of Mallow, whenever I can actually find anyone to help me with my Switch, I'm gonna stick Mallow into Ultimate as a part of my overhaul.. over Lucas. Yeah, seems weird at first glance, but hear me out: Almost all of Lucas' moves match up eerily well with Mallow's specials from SMRPG. Thunderbolt with PK Thunder, Shocker with PK Fire, HP Rain with PSI Magnet, Snowy with PK Freeze... and Star Rain, Mallow's strongest attack, with Lucas' final smash, PK Starstorm. We could even replace the cameos in PK Starstorm with Frogfucious and one of the tadpoles. Even Lucas' floaty nature is fitting for Mallow, as a cloud, and Lucas' side smash with that stick is the equivalent of Mallow's Froggiestick attack.

..Now, I know what you're saying. Lucas has a torso with a head on top, and Mallow is a blobby kirby thingy. Yeah, but who says we have to see Lucas' head? Turn his torso into Mallow's head-body-thing and simply make Lucas' head invisible while retaining the hitbox and not altering his skeleton. Sure, Mallow's limbs might clip through him just a tad, but.. he's a fluffy cloud boy. I think that's acceptable.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here is a fun question if you had to pick 12 characters for a Mario RPGs (SMRPG, M&L, Paper Mario, Mario+Rabbid) fighting game roster who would you pick?
mine would be
Main Mario series: :ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach:
SMRPG: Geno, Smithy
Paper Mario: Paper Mario, Vivian, Dimentio
M&L: Fawful, Princess Shroob, Dreamy:ultluigi:
Mario+Rabbid: Rabbid Peach

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
here is a fun question if you had to pick 12 characters for a Mario RPGs (SMRPG, M&L, Paper Mario, Mario+Rabbid) fighting game roster who would you pick?
mine would be
Only 12... Okay

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Geno
6) Mallow
7) Fawful
8) Paper Mario
9) Vivian
10) Mr. L
11) Phantom of the Opera Rabbid
12) Starlow

MattX20

Smash Hero
mine would be
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Rosalina, Geno, Mallow, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Fawful, and Paper Mario

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Paper Mario has a release date for the NSO Service. While it is expansion pack exclusive, it is nice to see one of the better Mario RPG games see the light of day again. Paper Mario 64 is probably my second favorite behind Super Mario RPG and last year I spent my time playing this 100%. It's a real solid game if you get a chance to play it.

If you choose to not get set up with the NSO Expansion Pack, I definitely understand but it's totally worth it if you have the Expansion service. Already a tough game to really get a chance to properly play since emulating it can be a nightmare so I'm curious to see how this game will run on the service.

(Still holding out for Super Mario RPG to hit the SNES Service. I really want everyone who hasn't had a chance to play it check it out.)

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
mine would be
Main series: :ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach:
Smrpg: geno and mallow
Paper mario: Paper Mario, Mr l, count bleck
M&L: fawful, Prince peasley
Mario + rabbids: rabbid peach, rabbid cranky

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have an update on that Geno overhaul mod?
The most recent update that comes to mind was on October 21st, where a proper Rocket Punch was created, and that an update would come to that when it's fully functional in game, but nothing's come up since then.

Dan

Smash Lord
I can't wait for Paper Mario 64 on Switch... I've been meaning to replay it recently through various means (repro cart and Wii U) but haven't been able to stick to it; Switch provides the perfect avenue. I personally prefer this game to TTYD. I'm pretty much in total disagreement with the general public as well as I think the NSO Expansion is worth it.

I'm gonna take this moment to show some of my various Mario RPG custom figure displays:

Basically I was able to find some really talented people online who made these possible.

Speaking of Mallow, whenever I can actually find anyone to help me with my Switch, I'm gonna stick Mallow into Ultimate as a part of my overhaul.. over Lucas. Yeah, seems weird at first glance, but hear me out: Almost all of Lucas' moves match up eerily well with Mallow's specials from SMRPG. Thunderbolt with PK Thunder, Shocker with PK Fire, HP Rain with PSI Magnet, Snowy with PK Freeze... and Star Rain, Mallow's strongest attack, with Lucas' final smash, PK Starstorm. We could even replace the cameos in PK Starstorm with Frogfucious and one of the tadpoles. Even Lucas' floaty nature is fitting for Mallow, as a cloud, and Lucas' side smash with that stick is the equivalent of Mallow's Froggiestick attack.

..Now, I know what you're saying. Lucas has a torso with a head on top, and Mallow is a blobby kirby thingy. Yeah, but who says we have to see Lucas' head? Turn his torso into Mallow's head-body-thing and simply make Lucas' head invisible while retaining the hitbox and not altering his skeleton. Sure, Mallow's limbs might clip through him just a tad, but.. he's a fluffy cloud boy. I think that's acceptable.
Mallow over Lucas immediately makes perfect sense to me.

Now, I'm actually pretty upset Mallow just wasn't a Lucas clone. I'm sure there's some areas where it wouldn't work, but he could definitely be a semi-clone.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I can't wait for Paper Mario 64 on Switch... I've been meaning to replay it recently through various means (repro cart and Wii U) but haven't been able to stick to it; Switch provides the perfect avenue. I personally prefer this game to TTYD. I'm pretty much in total disagreement with the general public as well as I think the NSO Expansion is worth it.

I'm gonna take this moment to show some of my various Mario RPG custom figure displays:

Basically I was able to find some really talented people online who made these possible.

Now, I'm actually pretty upset Mallow just wasn't a Lucas clone. I'm sure there's some areas where it wouldn't work, but he could definitely be a semi-clone.
I think this Spongebob over Lucas mod I just found pretty much confirms that my idea is possible, given that both Spongebob and Mallow have that combined-head-torso thing. It's apparently even wifi-safe, which seems to also confirm my opinion of not needing to alter Lucas' skeleton. https://gamebanana.com/mods/328234

Griselda

Smash Lord
Personally? At this point, I don't believe there will be another Smash, and I'm kinda glad. If I was never going to be given anything I ever asked for, then there was no point in waiting and hoping for another however many cycles. Ultimate is the perfect Smash for modding, given the large roster and costumes and all. Whenever I figure out Switch modding, I'll have more than enough resources to make the game I wanted, even if it's just aesthetic swaps so everyone has weird movesets and only looks like themselves. (because, lets be honest - especially the further back you go, Smash has always been hit and miss on how canon accurate the movesets have been).

But, also honestly? I think you guys should all keep campaigning to get Geno, Shadow, whoever into a hypothetical next Smash anyways, because the last thing we need is the stupid situation where the next game rolls around and all the businessmen go "Oh, well, support for these characters was pretty high 2019-2021, but then they got quiet so we guess they don't want them anymore".

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
There is also still the demand for these characters to appear in other titles. Just as many people want Geno and Mallow to show up in something like Mario Kart of a remaster of Super Mario RPG. The Smash Community tends to gas light every single request for Geno because to most of their fans, most of them find a niche, smaller pick to be an abnormality. Has to always be character that debuted title post Brawl release.

But I digress, I do think support for these characters like Geno or Mallow will continue and hopefully at some point enough people take notice and make the notion to put them in something like Mario Kart or an actual new Mario Adventure.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I saw earlier that progress on the Goku full moveset mod is progressing pretty nicely, and looks pretty promising so far. The Geno Mii Gunner overhaul mod is pretty good, but maybe it won't be too long relatively until we have a full Geno mod with an original moveset, too. Heck, the Goku mod's kamehameha looks about how I'd expect a Geno Beam would work as a neutral special.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is also still the demand for these characters to appear in other titles. Just as many people want Geno and Mallow to show up in something like Mario Kart of a remaster of Super Mario RPG. The Smash Community tends to gas light every single request for Geno because to most of their fans, most of them find a niche, smaller pick to be an abnormality. Has to always be character that debuted title post Brawl release.

But I digress, I do think support for these characters like Geno or Mallow will continue and hopefully at some point enough people take notice and make the notion to put them in something like Mario Kart or an actual new Mario Adventure.
I think it’s funny how the smash community currently thinks that every character has to be Master cheif or Crash bandicoot type of characters in order to be regarded as worthly inclusion but tend to forget that smash is still also Nintendo’s all star
I saw earlier that progress on the Goku full moveset mod is progressing pretty nicely, and looks pretty promising so far. The Geno Mii Gunner overhaul mod is pretty good, but maybe it won't be too long relatively until we have a full Geno mod with an original moveset, too. Heck, the Goku mod's kamehameha looks about how I'd expect a Geno Beam would work as a neutral special.
somone is working on a Geno mod actually that replaces mii gunner but it’s gonna be a while until we reach brawl modded Geno moveset as it would also would also require the timed hit functions on his moveset

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
But, also honestly? I think you guys should all keep campaigning to get Geno, Shadow, whoever into a hypothetical next Smash anyways, because the last thing we need is the stupid situation where the next game rolls around and all the businessmen go "Oh, well, support for these characters was pretty high 2019-2021, but then they got quiet so we guess they don't want them anymore".
The problem is that rn, we need goals. Goals that we can realistic achieveas a community to keep us occupied til the next instalment so we won't completely die off. We already faced losses during Ultimate run being a shell of our former selves

It would be a shame to this to be actually be a fad.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Those are very well sculpted

Griselda

Smash Lord
The problem is that rn, we need goals. Goals that we can realistic achieveas a community to keep us occupied til the next instalment so we won't completely die off. We already faced losses during Ultimate run being a shell of our former selves

It would be a shame to this to be actually be a fad.
At present, I'd say we're a shell of a shell, at least. As far as community goals that are actually achievable, I dunno what to suggest beyond mods for Smash, Mario Party/Kart/whatever. It's not as if there's some official Mario game or project that's 'small enough' that we could successfully campaign to get SMRPG stuff put into. They don't want the property used, period, and I dunno how much money (if any) could convince them otherwise, so just trying to show them that the property could still be financially rewarding probably wouldn't work, either.

I think, in the case of all Mario RPG fans, this is going to be more of a 'make the content yourself, because nobody else will' kind of deal, moving forward. I could be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why all this doom and gloom? I mean, this seems like a perfect time to really be pushing hard for a SMRPG remake. Square is making so many classic SNES RPG remakes now for Switch, why shouldn't the number one collaboration between them not be one of their next projects ? You could at least feasibly push for SMRPG on the SNES app... I'd like to play it officially, the game never reached Europe (I also think I'd be too young to understand RPGs at that age, English isn't my first language).

Also, since Paper Mario basically went their own route and isn't much of a RPG anymore, and Alpha Dream being bankrupt so no more Mario & Luigi RPG, a good claim could be made to bring back SMRPG to have a good old Mario RPG game again.

I mean hey, I get the sentiment, Geno didn't make it, but there's a good fight to be fought. Remember all these fan campaigns for Xenoblade? Majora's Mask? Just get behind it !

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
At present, I'd say we're a shell of a shell, at least. As far as community goals that are actually achievable, I dunno what to suggest beyond mods for Smash, Mario Party/Kart/whatever. It's not as if there's some official Mario game or project that's 'small enough' that we could successfully campaign to get SMRPG stuff put into. They don't want the property used, period, and I dunno how much money (if any) could convince them otherwise, so just trying to show them that the property could still be financially rewarding probably wouldn't work, either.

I think, in the case of all Mario RPG fans, this is going to be more of a 'make the content yourself, because nobody else will' kind of deal, moving forward. I could be proven wrong, but I doubt it.
So glad you asked you asked. I was waiting for something to do that. One of the things we can do right now as a community is to take a page out of the Shantae Community and start advocating figures like Nendroid. That one way to push demand and relevance for the puppet boi.

Top Bottom