• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

ZacSc

Smash Rookie
Yeah I thought about this myself!!! I love his content and I know he said he was sick or something. I think it's coming. Maybe I'll tweet at him or something because I'm curious too.

I also hope Mar10 Day brings a decent discount for Mario RPG to give the people who didn't want to buy it at full price a chance to get it. They were around 3.14M as of December 31st. I still want to see it hit 5M. I think if they hit 5M, there is no way they don't make a sequel.

EDIT Also I found it fascinating looking at Mario vs. DK's first week sales in Japan. It sold 61,930 copies in Japan (physicals). Mario RPG sold 301,334 physical copies. Not that I think Mario vs. DK is on the same level, but both were remakes of old games. Mario RPG sold almost five times more. I think this is pretty substantial. Mario vs. DK was never going to sell as much as Mario RPG. But I think it's a testament how well Mario RPG's first week sales were. I think the Peach game will be an interesting comparison. I tend to think it'll be somewhere between Mario vs. DK and Mario RPG.
Mario RPG turned out to be very good, a lot of people liked it. I don't think the price drop will bring a lot of sales since all fans bought it a long time ago.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Yeah I thought about this myself!!! I love his content and I know he said he was sick or something. I think it's coming. Maybe I'll tweet at him or something because I'm curious too.

I also hope Mar10 Day brings a decent discount for Mario RPG to give the people who didn't want to buy it at full price a chance to get it. They were around 3.14M as of December 31st. I still want to see it hit 5M. I think if they hit 5M, there is no way they don't make a sequel.

EDIT Also I found it fascinating looking at Mario vs. DK's first week sales in Japan. It sold 61,930 copies in Japan (physicals). Mario RPG sold 301,334 physical copies. Not that I think Mario vs. DK is on the same level, but both were remakes of old games. Mario RPG sold almost five times more. I think this is pretty substantial. Mario vs. DK was never going to sell as much as Mario RPG. But I think it's a testament how well Mario RPG's first week sales were. I think the Peach game will be an interesting comparison. I tend to think it'll be somewhere between Mario vs. DK and Mario RPG.

Thank you for reaching out to him!

TBone06

Smash Ace
Mario RPG turned out to be very good, a lot of people liked it. I don't think the price drop will bring a lot of sales since all fans bought it a long time ago.
That's possible. But there were a LOT of people who didn't buy it because they were waiting for a price drop. So I wouldn't be surprised for a mini surge of sales. MAR10 Day always brings decent discounts (assuming they do it again).

TBone06

Smash Ace
It makes me so proud to see Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario 2 included in this montage, with Paper Mario as the last game too.

I haven't seen this until now! This was a fun video!

Well I am a little bummed they didn't discount Mario RPG, but it's possible they are still seeing what they feel are decent sales and don't feel the need to. Or they just didn't want to discount a newer game, which is totally possible. I did finally bite the bullet and picked up Mario Kart 8 for MAR10 Day and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well. I would have picked up New Super Bros U Deluxe if they discounted it. But they didn't. I still want to see Mario RPG hit 5 million in sales. I think TTYD will do at least the same amount as Mario RPG if not more. It'll be fun to see!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo's put out a survey asking about Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi, and Paper Mario

Given that we've had strong success with the Mario RPG remake, and Thousand Year Door's looking pretty solid commercially, it could be that Nintendo's testing the waters for what fans want from the sub-franchises.
Holy s*** I need to participate in this! I remember they used those survey results from Super Paper Mario saying people didn't like the story as an excuse to strip Sticker Star of everything that made Paper Mario memorable, and this could be the chance to turn things around completely!

But how? I have a Nintendo account, yet I didn't get any email...

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Just finished replaying Paper Mario 64! Truly one of the finest games I've played, it's aged beautifully and just as good when I played it the first time. Now that I've finished both the Super Mario RPG remake and this, very excited to replay the GCN remake.

The first 3 Paper Marios have a special place in my heart, really wish I could participate in that survey... if anyone still knows a way to find it?

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, I finally got my hands on Princess Peach: Showtime! the other day. I haven't made it very far, yet, but...

...it's definitely not exactly the same, and it's also got that distinct Modern Mario flavor.. but for some reason, I'm getting major Wario World vibes from it.
Anyone else know what I mean? Or am I just crazy?

zeldaisitjustme.jpeg

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I hope SPM gets a good HD remake on the Switch 2. It's the last of the console Mario RPG's that could use a good visual polish, and there's plenty of little OoL improvements and features to really make a new version the ideal way to play it.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Despite the gameplay maybe not being as good as the first 2 games, I really love the story, world design, music, and characters, the plot was very heartwarming and emotional and I remember finishing the game as a kid and feeling incredibly sentimental, far more than anything in the Sticker Star games.

Top Bottom