• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario matchup

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Hi there,

I wanted to write a Diddy Kong vs. Mario matchup guide, so I came here to ask for strategies Diddy Kong can use to his advantage against Mario and other information about his side of the match. One thing that I've seen and heard is that by not using the banana at all, Mario can't take it, which means he can't use it to start doing Mario things. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. Why is this post formatted like a letter? :p

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I know this post is kinda old but i feel like replying anyway.

It isnt necessarily better to not use a banana at all, its really just preference. That being said, its starting to seem like its technically more optimal to use the banana at least a little bit (especially for ledge pressure and maintaining advantage state)

The easiest way to beat mario is to avoid getting grabbed at low percent and use pivot grabs/fair to shut down approaches. Avoid using dtilt till midpercent when it gains guaranteed followups. At high percent avoid using SH Fair because mario's Usmash OoS destroys it. Getting the kill is easy for diddy if you wait for mario to throw a smash attack and hit him with the banana.

Also knowing how to escape his combos is a huge part of the MU, and always beware of mario nair breaking your combos

Last edited:
Top Bottom