• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Nearly Extinct

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It's almost ironic that the most popular character in the game sees some of the least play in Smash. In 64 he had a good amount, and Melee was kinda men due to many shifting to the better doctor incarnation. But in Brawl what hurt was the unnecessary nerfs he got and the move set reboot that made prior users(yours truly included) have a very hard time adopting to the changes. Only place he sees much use now is P:M, where all his traits were combined to create the Ultimate Mario.

I might try picking him up again in 4 personally, but the way it's looking Rosa will be my top pick for main unless they give him some major buffs.

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
I personally used Doctor Mario more than Mario in both Melee and PM. He and Mario are so underrated. And yes, I will be trying out Rosaluma too.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I"m a Mario main. Hard to find good YouTube vids of top Mario players.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
That's because it's hard to place well as Mario, and higher level matches are more often recorded.

That being said, I'm gonna try out Mario for a while in Smash 4. I'm done with Brawl for the most part though.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Well, I get a bit sad when I see Mario in this situation...

I guess Boss is pretty much the only famous Mario main who still plays Brawl, and as everyone should know, he's not a pure Mario main...

Luigi is his true main (thank God) , and I'm almost sure that he uses Mr. Game & Watch more than Mario...

And unfortunately he already said that he doesn't play as much as before due to his work...

Although Mario received some disgusting nerfs, I guess the only thing that kept me away from him on Brawl was the replacement of his Mario Tornado by the F.L.U.D.D...

F.L.U.D.D has some uses and I like to see it because of Super Mario Sunshine, but that was a bad decision...

Seriously, it made his recovery, his mobility and his ground game worse, and I really enjoy moves like Mario Tornado and Luigi Cyclone...

If it wasn't for that, he would probably be my secundary...

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I took off for a couple years because I was stationed in the Marshall Islands, a 3rd world island nation in the Pacific. I would try to play still but I have other obligations in my life now upon my return to America, not saying everyone else doesn't but the level of interest in the game itself and general priorities is different among individuals. I'm not even sure I'll have time or the money to receive and play the new game and console.

But as far as I can see, there's no point in trying to resurrect the Brawl Mario. Many people will return for the new game, and many new people who may not even be part of this community right now may be the next top players. We never know what the future has in store. I hope Mario's capacity in Smash 4 allows for him to excel.

Finally, 100th post. Lol.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Since when none mario mains start caring about us? I mean we have other things to do in life then just sit around
and try to be the best mario of our capabilities. Things like jobs, education, GFs, family and pursuit of career steps in our way most of the time to the point where we don't have the time.

Sorry if I sound rude, but i'm speaking the honest truth.

We'll see how good mario will be in smash 4.

:pow:

Last edited:

-Nintendope-

Smash Rookie
Come on guys, I just got here on these boards only too see that everybody is giving up!

My new goal is to avenge the Meta-game by making Mario look godlike.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Come on guys, I just got here on these boards only too see that everybody is giving up!

My new goal is to avenge the Meta-game by making Mario look godlike.
It's 2014 late on trying to make mario look "godlike" in an unbalanced game, we all tried to make
it work. Most of the brawl marios are now playing Project M, he's top-tier in that game.

-Nintendope-

Smash Rookie
It's 2014 late on trying to make mario look "godlike" in an unbalanced game, we all tried to make
it work. Most of the brawl marios are now playing Project M, he's top-tier in that game.

Oh :c but yeah he is pretty much the Ultimate Mario in PM.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I know, I know, it's somewhat unfortunate that the mario boards isn't as alive as it once was
to continue the hopeful possibility of putting our low-tier king on mars. Maybe you can send mario to mars.

Welcome to the boards, Nintendodope. I'm sorry, i find your username very funny. lol

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Smash 4 will be the game where Mario shines, I bet my right arm and left leg on it.
And welcome to le smashboards Nin, it seems that we share a love for dope (lol)

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Smash 4 will be the game where Mario shines, I bet my right arm and left leg on it.
And welcome to le smashboards Nin, it seems that we share a love for dope (lol)

Wake me up when that happens, okay? I hear that the game will be more balance, so there's a chance.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I like FLUDD. I don't understand why people are complaining about it.
Xero, i know we had our difference in the past,
but me and you both just need to stop trying to educate the
ones who still lack the learning ability on how the FLUDD works, and how it can help mario.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I can't imagine they're just going to keep it as is though. I'm almost positive it'll have more push to it this time, considering the move was so unused even in casual play.

And yeah, it totally had uses even in competitive play. I don't recall Mario tornado making certain matchups significantly easier by killing them at near 0%.

-Nintendope-

Smash Rookie
I would pick FLUDD over Tornado anyways, the only time I ever used the tornado was recovery but FLUDD's push helps with that + Mario Cape Stall.

Also does anybody play the Brown/Black Mario?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I use the black Mario from time to time. Fireball Mario is the one I use the most. Same with Luigi.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Well I can't believe people think Mario is completely dead which he's not actually. I own a Skype group with like 30 Mario mains, lol. Half play offline they're just unknown. Also black mario all the way, although I do respect coolwhip

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Well I can't believe people think Mario is completely dead which he's not actually. I own a Skype group with like 30 Mario mains, lol. Half play offline they're just unknown. Also black mario all the way, although I do respect coolwhip
Hey there fellow Mario Main. Do you have a Wii U? Be great to add you and maybe train together sometime in the new Smash?

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Hello! We can train and all but you can just add me on brawl. FC: 2881-1238-1390. I don't have a wii u quite yet. But I'll add you on brawl, if you wanna join the Skype group just add me @ t25xl.erick

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
This thread is a little old but I thought I'd add a little since I've recently gotten back into brawl and even after trying out different characters and practicing all of them, Mario is still my main. I don't do too bad considering both my character choice and how little I've been playing the game. The brawl players that I've played with have been playing the game for a long time and they say they're impressed with how I'm doing. I think a reason why I'm doing as well as I am is because I'm looking at Brawl as more practice for my fundamentals and neutral game instead of super serious I want to win so i don't really feel the same pressure as when I play Melee. The only difference between now and the last time I played Brawl competitevly is that I now have 3 "secondaries" just in case I don't feel comfortable with Mario. But ya... there's still more Mario mains out there... they're just really hard to find.

Last edited:
Top Bottom