• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario made me better

nuev0_

Pocket Mario Monster
After getting depressed about my mains and switching to Mario as, admittedly, somewhat of a joke, I developed a much better neutral game and implemented some of his moves into my Falco. My playstyle used to strictly consist of "move forward," which often got me absolutely bopped/shield grabbed/cc'd, etc etc. After playing Mario and seeing results in simply having good effective movement, I decided to switch back to Falco seriously, and to REALLY positive results.

One thing I started doing that I picked up from Mario, and this is something that a lot of players ignore for some reason, is that platform tech chases are SO EFFECTIVE. Holy ****. Instead of settling for a bair, or a dair, or whatever is "teh most powerfull" option, I can now combo off of an upthrow, which will get me something hopefully to death. I have no idea why I never implemented that a lot before, but good lord is it nice. It's quick and stylish too.

Another thing he taught me is that it's okay play safe. Playing wreckless opens YOU up, not them, no matter how flashy you are. Good defense leads to good offense. You can dictate the pace, just because you're playing against Fox doesn't mean you have to match his speed.

I'm not even ****ing kidding, Mario has shown me the way. I know I sound stupid and probably don't make ANY sense right now, but he solidified fundamentals and helped my mindset a ton. Idk what made me pick him up, but I'm glad I did and will def keep repping.

Last edited:

rrob1487

Smash Rookie
I completely agree. I picked up Mario as a joke in a weekly to flag some spacies recovery. But because I have started playing him more and more my tech skill and neutral has switched from just eh to more than passible. Using him makes me think a lot more about the game as a chess match, instead of a combo fest. Quick note: its great that his nair beats out foxes upthrow up air.

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
Playing Mario has made my reads, combos, movement, and spacing tighter because you really need it and you really feel the negative results fast when you lack in any of those areas. And Mario's nair will very rerely beat Fox's upthrow upair if they do it correctly (fast enough). There are some pretty consistent percents to try it at if you know the fox will be several frames late on the upair though.

rrob1487

Smash Rookie
True, but a lot of foxes will try to get it when the percent is too high. So when they upthrow then wait to see if u jump out of it you can bait them into the nair instead of wasting a jump trying to get away.

TheBoat

Smash Cadet
The thing is, if the Fox spaces the upair properly, it will just completely out-disjoint the nair. It's actually pretty easy to do. Against a good fox player, it's generally way too risky to try to nair out of upthrow upair. If they execute it properly at lower percents, you can get upair'd many more times afterwards and if they just space it properly at high percents, well, you're dead at 85% or so lol.

Edit: But if you notice that the fox isn't executing fast enough or spacing well enough, go to town! Trying to nair out at later percents is still really bad though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom