• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Shog

Smash Ace
Why is there no thread for this?! It looks amazing! Best of both worlds, especially the M&L games!!

What do you guys think?

I'm quite excited as well, both Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario (except Sticker Star) are my favorite RPG series after Pokemon, and it's a great idea to have a crossover between them.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
The Mario & Luigi games would be more fun if they had more "game" in them. They're really fun to play, but too much of the time I'm not actually playing. Instead it's reading dialogue/tutorials or watching a cutscene. With how bad this problem was in Dream Team, my expectations are set at "cautious".

Also disappointed that apparently Paper Luigi isn't going to be a party member, for the Partners In Time style "Use all four face buttons".

Shog

Smash Ace
The Mario & Luigi games would be more fun if they had more "game" in them. They're really fun to play, but too much of the time I'm not actually playing. Instead it's reading dialogue/tutorials or watching a cutscene. With how bad this problem was in Dream Team, my expectations are set at "cautious".
Oh...yeah I know that. That was my main gripe with Dream Team too. I like the dialogue in the game, tutorials are a bit to plenty I agree with you.

(Again: We need Skip Button people! Why doesn't games do that?)

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Also disappointed that apparently Paper Luigi isn't going to be a party member, for the Partners In Time style "Use all four face buttons".
My hope is that through some series of events, he falls back into his Mr L persona and becomes an arc villain or recurring rival, ending in a Brobot Papercraft battle.

While it may not be likely, I'd also love to see Dimentio and Fawful come back and get into an argument. Engrish Sandwich Metaphor vs. Magically Poetic Similes FTW!

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Looks good! I love the Paper Mario Series. I like the Mario and Luigi Series just fine - but I actually REALLY enjoyed Dream Team... so I think combining these two kinda centralizes the Mario RPG series. There's a lot of potential for this title - let's hope they use it! Super Mario RPG will always be my favorite, but the fact that the game has spun off two game series just shows how good it was IMO.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Looks like they just recycled a bunch of assets from Dream Team and Sticker Star and slapped them together. Not impressed.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Looks like they just recycled a bunch of assets from Dream Team and Sticker Star and slapped them together. Not impressed.
In Dream Team's defense, those assets look amazing and probably took forever and a day to make, what with each sprite having 16 sides, so it would be a shame to limit those to only one game.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Interesting, but no Paper Luigi involved at all which disappoints me alot.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mario & Luigi is my favorite RPG series, so naturally I am excited for this. Can't wait to listen to the whole glorious Yoko Shimomura-composed OST!

UcheD914

Smash Cadet
I am not a fan of the Paper Mario series, but for Mario & Luigi, I'll give it a shot.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Am I just crazy, or does the combat seem to be getting slower and sloower and slooower every new game?
I'm referring to everything including animation speed, pacing of action commands, and ESPECIALLY bros. attacks.
It's like every time a bros attack is used, the battle turns into a Mario Party minigame.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Am I just crazy, or does the combat seem to be getting slower and sloower and slooower every new game?
I'm referring to everything including animation speed, pacing of action commands, and ESPECIALLY bros. attacks.
It's like every time a bros attack is used, the battle turns into a Mario Party minigame.
The only game in the series that had fast combat was Superstar Saga. The battle system got slower in Partners in Time and haven't changed since.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Toadette, Bowser Jr. and Paper Bowser Jr

So far the only original RPG character confirmed is Starlow and I don't know how to feel about that... oh wait I know exactly how to feel about that.

I FEEL THAT IT'S ****ING BS!

Really? A M&L/PM crossover game where none of the PM characters and only one M&L character (and she's just the proxy character) is in it? What on Earth is Nintendo smoking? Because I want a hit of that.

Seriously this might as well be New Super Mario Bros RPG: With Paper And Stuff. Apparently Nintendo doesn't understand that people like crossovers primary because of characters from one IP interacting with characters from another IP.

And I swear if any Miyamoto bootlicker comes in and say "Itz teh gamepl@y that truly matterz" I'm gonna scream.The gameplay itself is slow*** and so far you just rescure Toads and... paper Toads.

Last edited:

So far the only original RPG character confirmed is Starlow and I don't know how to feel about that... oh wait I know exactly how to feel about that.

Really? A M&L/PM crossover game where none of the PM characters and only one M&L character (and she's just the proxy character) is in it? What on Earth is Nintendo smoking? Because I want a hit of that.

Seriously this might as well be New Super Mario Bros RPG: With Paper And Stuff. Apparently Nintendo doesn't understand that people like crossovers primary because of characters from one IP interacting with characters from another IP.

And I swear if any Miyamoto bootlicker comes in and say "Itz teh gamepl@y that truly matterz" I'm gonna scream.The gameplay itself is slow*** and so far you just rescure Toads and... paper Toads.
(Kamek and Paper Kamek as well)

Maybe Miyamoto interfered again? I mean, there were no original PM characters (other than abomination known as Kersti) in Sticker Star because of him.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
(Kamek and Paper Kamek as well)

Maybe Miyamoto interfered again? I mean, there were no original PM characters (other than abomination known as Kersti) in Sticker Star because of him.
All things considered, I thought Kamek was the best part of Sticker Store due to his trolling nature. However, I hope they add more creative elements from other games, such as good NPC's of species from Bowser's Army (Goombas, Koopas, etc). As well as Papercraft Brobot.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64

I agree with this post. GameFAQs is making me even more pissed off, most of the people on the Paper Jam board there are actively against any original characters from Mario RPGs and some of them are even saying they hope Starlow is the "last of their kind."

I made a "petition" for Nintendo and Alpha Dream to add some original characters or bring back some old favorites from the series. You can find it here: http://goo.gl/forms/i5r8QsUYTY

Also, here's my general opinion on the recent updates on this game:

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
I really like the idea of having two rpg series combine especially if it is under one franchise. If it sells well, then hopefully it will convince Nintendo to make a proper console Paper Mario game.

Shog

Smash Ace
I really like the idea of having two rpg series combine especially if it is under one franchise. If it sells well, then hopefully it will convince Nintendo to make a proper console Paper Mario game.
Mario and Luigi games always sell well. They are simply GREATLY designed games. Fun Fact: I enjoy the battle system out of these games so much that I nearly was LEVEL 99 in Dream Team. But wait, that's not all. Not only is the gameplay great, the story is too.

(They only need that damn skip button for veteran players :D )

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
Mario and Luigi games always sell well. They are simply GREATLY designed games. Fun Fact: I enjoy the battle system out of these games so much that I nearly was LEVEL 99 in Dream Team. But wait, that's not all. Not only is the gameplay great, the story is too.

(They only need that damn skip button for veteran players :D )
You can't forget the soundtrack! The soundtrack for all the Mario and Luigi games are among my favorite soundtracks of all time with my favorites being all the final boss fights especially for Dream Team and Bowser's Inside Story, Oho Oasis, Beanbean fields, Stardust fields, and Somnom Woods just to name a few. The Mario and Luigi soundtrack was composed by the same person who did the Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts and Street Fighter soundtrack.

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
Apparently Nintendo doesn't understand that people like crossovers primary because of characters from one IP interacting with characters from another IP.

For the crossover part, there is Smash Brothers, which combines Nintendo franchises to each other and occasionally other franchises. Other than Smash, there's also a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover coming soon. For the last part the rescuing Toads part is likely gonna be some segment explaining controls, and remember, we haven't seen the full game yet and the rescuing Toads part is likely gonna be one really small part of a huge game.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
For the crossover part, there is Smash Brothers, which combines Nintendo franchises to each other and occasionally other franchises. Other than Smash, there's also a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover coming soon. For the last part the rescuing Toads part is likely gonna be some segment explaining controls, and remember, we haven't seen the full game yet and the rescuing Toads part is likely gonna be one really small part of a huge game.
I'd like to think of the Toad finding to be akin to the Pi'illo Stones in the previous game, where you get the ultimate weapon for all of them, but only need a certain few to progress.

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
I'd like to think of the Toad finding to be akin to the Pi'illo Stones in the previous game, where you get the ultimate weapon for all of them, but only need a certain few to progress.
There's also the part where you have to find berries to give to the Yoshi's in Superstar Saga.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Nabbit and Tower Power Pokey are confirmed.... *sigh*

A NSMB character who was never in an RPG and ANOTHER SS character... what joy :|

Look, even the Royal Stickers are back.

Shog

Smash Ace
**** SPOILERS.
Argh thanks GreenKirby :(

I should probably turn off notifications

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Spoilers in a RPG implies that there's gonna be a plot. If they're going the Sticker Star route, and I'm 95% sure that they are, there's no plot beyond Bowsers kidnap Peaches. Therefore, it's not spoilers. :p

Shog

Smash Ace
Spoilers in a RPG implies that there's gonna be a plot. If they're going the Sticker Star route, and I'm 95% sure that they are, there's no plot beyond Bowsers kidnap Peaches. Therefore, it's not spoilers. :p
Good for you, still gonna turn of notifications

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Koopalings, King Bob-Omb, Papercraft Luigi confirmed

Oh joy, as if the Koopalings already didn't worn out their welcome long ass time ago. And of course, the plot is, as I predicted, Bowsers kidnapping Peaches with no added creativity whatsoever.

Even Giant Luigi and the Bros Moves from Dream Team are copied and pasted into this game. And so far, the main gameplay seem to be just rescuing ****ing Toads. So once again, even the gameplay suffers lol

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I'm really happy the Koopalings are back! The only characterization they get is in manuals and gameplay so I am excited to see how each are treated here. Also the Normal/Paper Team up battles look really complex, so that's a plus for me. I just hope Fawful, Dimentio, and Mr L get shoehorned in as Super Bosses like the Shroobs, Bowser X, and Bowser Jr before the

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Even Giant Luigi and the Bros Moves from Dream Team are copied and pasted into this game.
Okay so I never bought Dream Team (only tried the demo.) Is this actually true? Because that would be hilarious.
I'm really happy the Koopalings are back! The only characterization they get is in manuals and gameplay so I am excited to see how each are treated here.
They will have no dialogue and do exactly what they did in Superstar Saga; act as a miniboss rush at the end of Bowser's Castle. Please don't let this happen.

Koopalings, King Bob-Omb, Papercraft Luigi confirmed

Oh joy, as if the Koopalings already didn't worn out their welcome long *** time ago. And of course, the plot is, as I predicted, Bowsers kidnapping Peaches with no added creativity whatsoever.

Even Giant Luigi and the Bros Moves from Dream Team are copied and pasted into this game. And so far, the main gameplay seem to be just rescuing ****ing Toads. So once again, even the gameplay suffers lol
Oh, great... :glare: Did Miyamoto interfere again? It looks like there won't be any new characters or enemies in this game either...

Getting it for Christmas, and I really, really hope I don't end up regretting it (like with Sticker Star).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I predict that all 7 Koopalings will be fought at the same time in a manner akin to the Elite Trio (defeating them all within 2 turns of each other or else they all get healed). I would really want that to happen. The lack of OC's is a bit worry some but I have faith that some curveball non-Toad characters will be put in.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

It's the gameplay that truly matters.

I'm probably going to withhold judgment on it until it comes out and I hear the consensus on it. Right now my opinion on it isn't too positive because of the lack of Paper Luigi. It doesn't feel complete without him. Unless either he or Dimentio appear, I just might skip out on it.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
It's the gameplay that truly matters.
I agree. The plus side here as opposed to Sticker Store is that the by game layout, battles will actually have a purpose to them, that being EXP execution points, and boss battles won't require Monado levels of foresight for weakness placement.

I'm sure the humor will still be in place, but it would be a shame to not have silly OC's working off each other. As long as it doesn't go into "de-burrito" levels of humor, I should like the game just fine.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I agree. The plus side here as opposed to Sticker Store is that the by game layout, battles will actually have a purpose to them, that being EXP execution points, and boss battles won't require Monado levels of foresight for weakness placement.

I'm sure the humor will still be in place, but it would be a shame to not have silly OC's working off each other. As long as it doesn't go into "de-burrito" levels of humor, I should like the game just fine.
It can only be a step up from Sticker Star... I pray to Sakurai they learned from that tragedy.

There's no doubt in my mind that the humor will still be there, but nonetheless it's still not the same without Paper Luigi, especially considering that Mario & Luigi Luigi doesn't talk. That essentially means we'll be devoid of Luigi for the entire game, and I don't know if I can deal with that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Admittedly the only game I've really played is Super Paper Mario, but I do intend to playthrough both the M&L and Paper Mario games some time.

However, this one looks bland. It's like, the barest essence of M&L, with a few Paper Mario assets thrown in for no real reason. I don't know why they are advertising it as a big crossover when it really isn't. It's like if they made an RPG crossover with Sonic where the only difference to a normal M&L game is that Sonic is an extra party member and Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman happen to be in the game somewhere, and it's all still set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played a Mario and Luigi game since Superstar Saga but looking forward to Paper Jam. Won't be getting it but it should be fun.

Top Bottom