• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm far more excited for N64 Yoshi Valley than anything else. I loved that track back in the day, especially since I knew the fastest route. Little annoyed we have N64 RR instead of Wario Stadium, the N64 RR just bores me to death.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone brought up that N64 Rainbow Road has been reduced to having only three sections, instead of three laps. The reasoning for that may have to do with the game's online features.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
It is true that N64 Rainbow Road is only one lap this time. Kind of disappointing, but I can overlook it. :p

Now that I think about it, this is the third time this track has been playable. It was in F-Zero X, too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah I do find that to be disappointing as well, but I don't think Nintendo wants players to have to endure an online race that takes longer than three minutes to finish.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Okay anyone saying anything negative about this game are unimpressed sad grumps and need a slap in the face.
This game looks GORGEOUS!
People need to stop complaining about the retro courses chosen. Moo Moo Meadows is easily the most visually beautiful track.
I could care less about Metal Mario's return, but i'd be a lying son of a ***** if I wasn't in awh with the detailed shine in his character.
And the music...

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
No lie, I saw two dudes jump all over a guy because they thought he was taking about Moo Moo Farms. I guess "Wii" Moo Moo Meadows means nothing. :p

But yes, Moo Moo Meadows looks great. Hell, all of the retro tracks look great. Even Donut Plains got a slick coat of paint.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I like the Koopalings addition! Im going to be using Larry mostly (Along my other favorite racers: Mario/Mii) I also like the Boomerang item, and I think the Piranha Plant is going to be a powerful item. It can attack foes and grab items?! Whats not to like?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like the Koopalings addition! Im going to be using Larry mostly (Along my other favorite racers: Mario/Mii) I also like the Boomerang item, and I think the Piranha Plant is going to be a powerful item. It can attack foes and grab items?! Whats not to like?
If the Potted Piranha Plant touches someone who's invincible, however, odds are, it's as good as dead.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I always use Mario. When I take a break from him I like using Luigi and Bowser. Really looking forward to Roy and Morton.

Shök

Smash Champion
This game keeps getting better and better! Ha ha.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The idea of an item that eats/counters Bullet Bills is too glorious for words.
I don't know. The Bullet Bill could still make the player immune to all items until its effects wear off. I mean, it even countered the Mega Mushroom's effects.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

Pipe frame confirmed:

Also, throwing this in there:

This is a blown up, extremely pixelated picture of a flight times chart on the track Sunshine Airport. It lists several tracks already confirmed such as Dry Dry Dunes and Cheep Cheep Beach; but if you can make it out, it also displays N64 Yoshi Valley and what looks to be GCN Sherbet Land. I feel it's safe enough to assume that those 2 tracks are now confirmed. Thus making us at 28 confirmed tracks now! Only 4 to go.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see the N64 part of Yoshi Valley though, so who's to say that it's an all-new track? Then again, the track names are probably ordered by their cup placement.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Pipe frame confirmed:

Also, throwing this in there:

This is a blown up, extremely pixelated picture of a flight times chart on the track Sunshine Airport. It lists several tracks already confirmed such as Dry Dry Dunes and Cheep Cheep Beach; but if you can make it out, it also displays N64 Yoshi Valley and what looks to be GCN Sherbet Land. I feel it's safe enough to assume that those 2 tracks are now confirmed. Thus making us at 28 confirmed tracks now! Only 4 to go.
Wait, whats the track with Lakitu?

D

Deleted member

Pipe frame confirmed:

YES!
I loved it when it was seen once again in Mario Kart 7! Mario Kart 64 was a game from my childhood; I had a burst of nostalgia when I saw the Pipe Frame was a Kart!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So here is my wish roster for MarioKart 8 (or any MarioKart game for that matter).
And yes, I know it's pretty unrealistic.

MarioKart 8 Wish Roster.png

*The question mark icon is for Baby Waluigi. If they can get away with making Baby Daisy for MarioKart, they can make Baby Waluigi a real thing!

So any thoughts on this?

Gatlin

Mario Kart 8 Q&A:

Things to note:

*The map seems to only be available on the Wii U gamepad; and is not visible on the TV screen itself. Therefore if you are not using the gamepad as your controller, you do not have a map.

*You no longer lose your item by falling off the track. I also saw in the video the person get hit with a bill and still keep their item. So it seems pretty much impossible to lose your item without actually using it.

*You can no longer manually activate a wheelie on a motorcycle for additional speed boost.

*Inside drift is not returning for MK8.

*Even though this is already known, triple banana's no longer trail behind you, but rather circle around the racer. As is the same with any triple shells and mushrooms.​

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
If you go to the Eshop, Mario Kart 8 is listed and shows the following being compatible:

Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Pro Controller
Wii Remote Plus
Wii Remote
Wii Remote plus + Nunchuk
Wii Remote + Classic Controller Pro
Also confirms leaderboards.

Last edited:

UberMario

Smash Master
Something tells me that, assuming it actually is N64 Yoshi Valley (can't imagine them reusing that name), that they'll be making the long path antigravity against the sides of the peaks, make the bridge path also be antigravity and make the long bridge a flight section.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Something tells me that, assuming it actually is N64 Yoshi Valley (can't imagine them reusing that name), that they'll be making the long path antigravity against the sides of the peaks, make the bridge path also be antigravity and make the long bridge a flight section.
N64 Yoshi Valley is probably still unforgiving for the fact that of all the multiple routes there are to take on that track, some of them are very detrimental to your racing position. Why Nintendo would plan on bringing that track back over Wario Stadium is beyond me.

D

Deleted member

N64 Yoshi Valley is probably still unforgiving for the fact that of all the multiple routes there are to take on that track, some of them are very detrimental to your racing position. Why Nintendo would plan on bringing that track back over Wario Stadium is beyond me.
I miss Wario Stadium. That was a fun track.
I hope that in future Mario Karts, they will bring back retro courses that they have already used. GCN Luigi Circuit could have been fun to race on in this game.

kylexv

Smash Master
I will take a guess on the 4 remaining tracks and put them all into cups:

Mushroom Cup

Mario Kart Stadium (Luigi) (This course is similar to Luigi Circuit)
Water Park (Waluigi) (There is a Waluigi Sea Bed in the Course)
Sweet Sweet Canyon (Baby Peach) (Wanted Peach or Daisy. They were taken)
Thwomp Ruins (Morton Koopa Jr.) (Had Layer Cake Desert in New Super Mario Bros U)

Flower Cup

Mario Circuit (Mario) (Has his name in it)
Toad Harbor (Toadette) (Toad was already in Toad's Turnpike)
Twisted Mansion (King Boo) (Mansions=Boos)
Shy Guy Falls (Shy Guy) (Has his name in it)

Star Cup

Dolphin Shoals (Birdo) (Only Character left)
Sunshine Airport (Bowser Jr.) (Only Character left that appeared in Super Mario Sunshine)
Electrodome (Larry Koopa) (Larry Lights advertisements)
Bone Dry Dunes (Dry Bowser) (Bone structure resembling him)

Special Cup

Cloudtop Cruise (Lakitu) (Clouds=Lakitu)
DK's Tropical Freeze (Donkey Kong) (Has his name in it)
Bowser Castle (Bowser) (Has his name in it)
Rainbow Road (Rosalina) (Had Rainbow Road in Mario Kart Wii and 7)

Shell Cup

Wii Moo Moo Meadows (Baby Daisy) (Had the course in Mario Kart Wii)
DS Cheep Cheep Beach (Lemmy Koopa) (Had World 3 in New Super Mario Bros Wii)
GBA Mario Circuit (Baby Mario) (Old Mario Circuits are usually owned by him)
N64 Toad's Turnpike (Toad) (Has his name in it)

Banana Cup

GCN Dry Dry Desert (Iggy Koopa) (Had World 2 in New Super Mario Bros 2)
SNES Donut Plains 3 (Baby Luigi) (SNES courses have almost always been owned by babies)
N64 Royal Raceway (Peach) (Course was originally designed for her)
3DS DK Jungle (Diddy Kong) (DK already had the Tropical Freeze track)

Leaf Cup

GCN Sherbet Land (Wendy O. Koopa) (New Super Mario Bros U art. Nuff said)
3DS Music Park (Daisy) (Rosalina had it in 7, but she already has Rainbow Road)
Wii Wario's Gold Mine (Wario) (Has his name in it)
N64 Yoshi Valley (Yoshi) (Has his name in it)

Lightning Cup

3DS Piranha Plant Slide (Koopa Troopa) (Remeber Koopa Cape? This course is similar to it)
Wii Grumble Volcano (Roy Koopa) (Wanted a Koopaling to have this. Roy was the only one left)
DS Tick Tock Clock (Metal Mario) (Clocks=Metal. Metal=Metal Mario)
N64 Rainbow Road (Ludwig von Koopa) (Wanted the "Boss" of the Koopalings to own this track)

EDIT 4/6/14: Added predictions to what character each course is assigned to in Time Trials in a 32 Character Roster. Also added why I put them there.

Last edited:

Gatlin

I don't know about this one. I remember seeing some type of inside drifting in some of the videos.
Yeah, I remember watching some video of a Mario on a bike and it looked very inside-drifty to me. Not quite Mach Bike standard, but more like the drift from a Sneakster. The guy in the video did mention that inside drift wasn't returning based on what he played; but I still hope to see from future videos and/or playing the game myself just how the drifting works. I haven't seen a video yet that displays a decent amount of bike usage, most of the time they are playing in a kart, or it only shows a bike for a brief moment.

-

Also new video, longer than the last Q&A one. Gives more explanations and interesting information about the game, tracks, items, etc.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
So here is my wish roster for MarioKart 8 (or any MarioKart game for that matter).
And yes, I know it's pretty unrealistic.

View attachment 11402

*The question mark icon is for Baby Waluigi. If they can get away with making Baby Daisy for MarioKart, they can make Baby Waluigi a real thing!

So any thoughts on this?
thats a pretty cool roster, but where is koopa? and the 7 koopalings. I think it could also benefit from having kamek and nabbit aswell

Gatlin

Okay guys I got 4 new vids for you displaying the Mushroom, Flower, Shell, and Banana Cup's tracks in actual full-on gameplay.

Things to note:

* 0:28 - In case you do not know yet, Lakitu respawn no longer displays a black screen before placing you on the track; but rather Lakitu simply grabs you while you are falling and places you back on the track. It is also slightly faster than MKW's respawn.

* 0:51 - Bob-ombs will now walk a few steps before exploding, rather than staying in a stationary position after landing.

* 2:47 - You no longer get squashed by Thwomps but rather spin out, you, again, still keep your item.

* Shy Guy Falls looks incredible and I am certain it's going to be a crowd favorite for sure.

* 4:38 - The Piranha Plant definitely attacks other racers much faster than I initially thought. I thought it may just attack every other racer that is near you; but as displayed in the video, this thing relentlessly takes out both Yoshi and Peach and gives the player 3 boosts total in a period of 2 seconds. If activated in a tight pack, this is going to be a very, very strong item.

Not too much to note on this one, just more general gameplay~

* 0:51 - Item boxes have a much faster respawn than in MKW. Very, very nice upgrade.

* 1:01 - The great misfortunes of playing as a lightweight character.

* 3:02 - Even though Bob-ombs now walk a few steps before exploding, they still of course will instantly explode when in close proximity to another player.

Shök

Smash Champion
The game was still in development during that time though. Any signs of inside drifting are most likely removed by now.
I'm talking about recent videos. Ha ha.

Yeah, I remember watching some video of a Mario on a bike and it looked very inside-drifty to me. Not quite Mach Bike standard, but more like the drift from a Sneakster. The guy in the video did mention that inside drift wasn't returning based on what he played; but I still hope to see from future videos and/or playing the game myself just how the drifting works. I haven't seen a video yet that displays a decent amount of bike usage, most of the time they are playing in a kart, or it only shows a bike for a brief moment..
I agree. That's one thing I keep specifying. It's not an inside drift along the lines of the Mach Bike or Flame Runner. It's a little similar to the Spear/Sneakster.

You can kinda tell from Metal Mario. They might have "better" bikes that have more of an inside drift, but who knows. Just my 2 cents.

Edit:

Last edited:

Gatlin

Lol I was just about to post that gif. This game is looking so nice, the cloud entrance out of the cannon is just wow.

And based on that gif actually, the drifting Mario is doing reminds me a lot of how you would drift on like Sherbet Land in MKW. It does look like inside drift, just mixed a tiny bit with outside drift in a way, like it looks like he's sliding just a little bit.

Shök

Smash Champion
Lol I was just about to post that gif. This game is looking so nice, the cloud entrance out of the cannon is just wow.

And based on that gif actually, the drifting Mario is doing reminds me a lot of how you would drift on like Sherbet Land in MKW. It does look like inside drift, just mixed a tiny bit with outside drift in a way, like it looks like he's sliding just a little bit.
It really does look amazing. Lol.

And I agree. It does look like a sliding inside drift. I'm assuming that this is gonna be considered the game's "inside drift". I don't think Nintendo is ever gonna use inside drifts like the Mach Bike and Flame Runner again. X)

Last edited:
Top Bottom