• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mario Kart SGP

Who should be added next?

• Birdo

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Wart

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GolisoPower

Smash Master
New:
1) Dry Bowser Galaxy Reactor
2) S.T.E.A.M.
3) Stanley's Greenhouse

Rework:
Broken Pier

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
New:
1. Stanley’s Greenhouse
2. Funky Seaside Jungle
3. Galoomba Golf Course

Retro:
1. Broken Pier

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
New:
1. STEAM
2. Stanley's Greenhouse
3. Funky Seaside Jungle

Retro:
1. Shroom Ridge

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
cashregister9 cashregister9
Just one quick question before I vote; with this being a course based on a character "not currently included", will this stage select have any bearing on if they're included at a later date?

I know the Koopalings are up in the air, but what about others?

For example voting for Galoomba's Golf Course will prevent Galoomba from joining the race?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
cashregister9 cashregister9
Just one quick question before I vote; with this being a course based on a character not currently included, will this stage select have any bearing on if they're included at a later date?

I know the Koopalings are up in the air, but what about others?

For example voting for Galoomba's Golf Course will prevent Galoomba from joining the race?
Nope, The non-roster character portion of this prompt was just for varieties sake.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Job 13: S.T.E.A.M.

S
ubmerged
Technological
Expertise
Analyzing
Magma

A subsidiary of Gadd Industries, this course takes place in an underwater research facility near an active volcano. The drivers race through brightly lit hallways that lead to various sections like laboratories and water treatment areas (kind of like the Wario Dam section of Mount Wario. The interior, not the exterior). The drivers are eventually led outside of the facility into an underwater section where they drive around the exterior and up an erupting underwater volcano, which serves as a boost that leads them back to the facility.

This course contains rare, special item boxes containing prototype FLUDD nozzles that automatically attach to your kart when obtained.

Blue boxes give you the Squirt Nozzle, which briefly attaches to the front of your kart and sprays a stream of water that spins out opponents if they're sprayed for long enough. You can control the direction of the spray with the right stick.

Red Boxes contain the Rocket Nozzle, which boosts you upwards. These are usually found near branching paths, where obtaining one automatically boosts you up to an alternate route on an upper floor.

Gray Boxes give you the Turbo Nozzle, which briefly attaches to the back of your kart and sprays out water backwards to increase your speed. You can even pass people and drive in front of them to spray them with the water and spin them out!

Abstain from picking a retro course. No ideas here.

EDIT: Added nozzle mechanic
I'm picturing the transitions between the land sections and underwater sections. To go out into the water, you exit through a submarine hangar, and for the way back in you'd go through an underwater cave with an air pocket after the volcano section.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
cashregister9 cashregister9 Question. Following the pattern that's been shaping up the last two Mario Kart games, will we be adding GBA Rainbow Road for sure, to follow up on SNES then 64? Not that we can't add other Rainbow Roads (8 has three of them) I was just curious what you thought of that.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 13 Results

New Track
Lemmy's Balloon Circus Glubbfubb Glubbfubb 1
King Bob-omb's Boot Camp GolisoPower GolisoPower 13
Funky Seaside Jungle Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 6
Stanley's Greenhouse YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 21
Galoomba Golf Course cashregister9 cashregister9 4
Dry Bowser Galaxy Reactor Ruler of Subspace Ruler of Subspace 8
S.T.E.A.M. Gorgonzales Gorgonzales 17

Retro Track that should get revamped.
Broken Pier ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos 6
Shroom Ridge GolisoPower GolisoPower 1
Sherbet Land cashregister9 cashregister9 0
Toad's Factory Ruler of Subspace Ruler of Subspace 2

Job #14

Add a Non-gameplay mechanic.

This can be anything as long as it doesn't effect racing or anything like that it can be anything cosmetic or like a collectible or something.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Non-gameplay mechanic:
Mii Heads
Each character can be played as with one of your Miis as their head. Press the R button once you've selected the costume you want then select a Mii - bam! Mii head.

Intentionally bad mock up.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job #14:
Paint Jobs:

A cosmetic that allows you to customize the body of your kart! You can paint flames on it, you can slap Wario's face on it, you can set the color of the car to purple instead of red, it's a unique way to spice up your ride and race in style!

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 14
Diorama Missions
Basically each track has a section of mini missions you can do when doing a race, for example Dry Dry desert has a mission including go over every pokey or collect a certain amount of coins

Completing Missions gives you peices of a 3d diorama of the track, for each mission completed you get a peice of the track and when you complete the diorama you can read its description like trophies in smash and listen to its track theme both in the first and final lap speeds, so it can also work as a jukebox of sort

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job 14
Diorama Missions
Basically each track has a section of mini missions you can do when doing a race, for example Dry Dry desert has a mission including go over every pokey or collect a certain amount of coins

Completing Missions gives you peices of a 3d diorama of the track, for each mission completed you get a peice of the track and when you complete the diorama you can read its description like trophies in smash and listen to its track theme both in the first and final lap speeds, so it can also work as a jukebox of sort
It has to be cosmetic.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Cosmetic modes you say?

Job 14: Paper Mario Kart

Okay, I actually did this mock up for a track idea further down the line, but I think it fits here too:

Paper Mario's been a big Mario staple for a long time now...and he never gets much fanfare in the Mario Spinoff titles...No more I say!

Paper-Mode.png

(Paper Wart by DerekminyA, Paper Wario by ProfessorVermo)

Paper Mario Kart
does exactly what you'd expect; it turns the characters, items and karts into 'Paper' versions of themselves.

For the Karts they could be simple 'Paper Kart models' such as the above(Luigi's Kart is already in Color Splash and Origami King after all), but the Kart you pick gets a paper version slapped on the side of it, similar to Yoshi's costumes in Yoshi's Crafted World:
Yoshi-crafted-world-Kart-example.png

So like the sheep here, the Kart design would be slapped on the side of the above 3D Paper Karts. Obviously Paper models of all karts would be great, but that's a huge undertaking no doubt.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Cosmetic modes you say?

Job 14: Paper Mario Kart

Okay, I actually did this mock up for a track idea further down the line, but I think it fits here too:

Paper Mario's been a big Mario staple for a long time now...and he never gets much fanfare in the Mario Spinoff titles...No more I say!

View attachment 311629
(Paper Wart by DerekminyA, Paper Wario by ProfessorVermo)

Paper Mario Kart does exactly what you'd expect; it turns the characters, items and karts into 'Paper' versions of themselves.

For the Karts they could be simple 'Paper Kart models' such as the above(Luigi's Kart is already in Color Splash and Origami King after all), but the Kart you pick gets a paper version slapped on the side of it, similar to Yoshi's costumes in Yoshi's Crafted World:
View attachment 311632
So like the sheep here, the Kart design would be slapped on the side of the above 3D Paper Karts. Obviously Paper models of all karts would be great, but that's a huge undertaking no doubt.
I think I love this idea, if this dosnt win try making a paper mario track

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Job 14: Driver Bios

Unlocking new drivers will unlock their driver bios. (Starting roster drivers have theirs unlocked from the start).

A driver bio basically shows a 3D model of the character in an idle animation next to a brief description of said character. Similar to the character bios from the N64 Smash Bros.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 14

Hood Ornaments

This would essentially be Trophies from Smash but you can add your favorite to the tip of your car, They are unlocked from collecting them on the track, completing races or other specific ways like collecting certain amounts of coins.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Job 14: Driver Bios

Unlocking new drivers will unlock their driver bios. (Starting roster drivers have theirs unlocked from the start).

A driver bio basically shows a 3D model of the character in an idle animation next to a brief description of said character. Similar to the character bios from the N64 Smash Bros.

Mario Superstar Baseball had these too and you could only unlock them if the character received an mvp award after games. They were fun to unlock.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Aight I thought of something.

Job 14: Driver's License

Basically a player card showing your gameplay stats for other players to see, such as your number of races, earned coins, etc. You are able to customize your license with custom backgrounds, your favorite character, kart combination, or any trophies from any achievements (Assuming we have achievements) that you've earned.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 14: Custom Color Palettes

I've been debating on posting this one for a while.

This would be something that you can unlock after playing through the first 4 cups (Mushroom, Flower, Star, Special). The palettes range in complexity, with, as of writing, Gooigi with one color and Bowser with many.

I've thought of many things that can come out of this: Grand Dad, Sponge, hairless DK and DDK, Mario with no clothes, and white Gooigi just to name a few.

Nintendo has taken bigger risks such as Stage Builder in Smash, so I don't see how this would be any worse. The only thing that I dread are children's weird colors. Speaking of that, you have the option to turn off others' custom colors on your side.
We already have a costume system in this project, This specific idea can be reused the next time we have a costume prompt which won't be too long.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1.) Driver Bios - A really fun idea. God I miss Trophies in Smash and game manuals with their character bios so much. This would be a great substitute.
2.) Paint Job - Would this work like Animal Crossing's outfit creation where you're given a small canvas to paint upon?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Would this work like Animal Crossing's outfit creation where you're given a small canvas to paint upon?
I was kinda thinking more along the lines of, say, other racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. Another one that comes to mind is the car customization in GTA, more specifically GTAV.

Top Bottom