• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
I for one can't believe people say that FLUDD is useless. I've gotten so many good gimps and aided ko's on the past tournament I was in. Fludd success rate is definitely dependent on the player...

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Incendiary, you are talking to the one place in the world that thinks Mario is worse in this game. Anyways, getting 4th in a tourney of that size is really good. Keep up the work man. Maybe I'll see you at Apex.

@ HeroMystic HeroMystic - Gotta step your game up vs. little mac. FLUDD wrecks him.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@ HeroMystic HeroMystic - Gotta step your game up vs. little mac. FLUDD wrecks him.
I do. I'm too used to For Glory Lil'Macs and this was the first time I went up against one who played him properly. Also D-tilt KO punch is balls.

I see what you mean by FLUDD wrecking him. I'll be getting in a lot more practice in the upcoming days.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
You'll be fine once you understand what he actually does. Mario wrecks him imo. Mario can sort of hold his own against Mac's speed (obviously not as fast, but not super overwhelming unless you let him gain momentum), can juggle him very efficiently, and with Mario's edgeguard game, it's a pretty easy gimp especially since FLUDD doesn't trigger counter. You also did well. Don't be upset at the performance.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I for one can't believe people say that FLUDD is useless. I've gotten so many good gimps and aided ko's on the past tournament I was in. Fludd success rate is definitely dependent on the player...
I have KO'ed so many people with FLUDD at this point, I would miss it if it were gone (big reason why I don't play Doc much tbh, even though Tornado can hold its own).

Incendiary, you are talking to the one place in the world that thinks Mario is worse in this game. Anyways, getting 4th in a tourney of that size is really good. Keep up the work man. Maybe I'll see you at Apex.

Fine, he's better. I still don't see the top 7 that some of the top players throw around, but the character is viable for sure. I underestimated Mario for sure from the get-go.

Also, I agree with us having stuff on Lil Mac. Offline, being able to accurately Fsmash his fists when he attacks goes a LONG way.

I think @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd mentioned it first, but if you guys aren't doing Uthrow -> Dair -> Fair/Bair/Uair/Dair(lol)/Nair/Up B against fastfallers who can shield your Utilt if you Dthrow at 0%, do it. It's a free 30% and they can't do anything about it, and it sets them up for your mid % combos.

Tournament this upcoming weekend. I feel equally ready to make waves with Mario and Pac Man, but I kinda want to give the latter more rep since not many people use him :(. I'll go whoever feels right at the time.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yup, U-Throw vs. Fast-fallers is the way to go. It's very effective and very good in the damage department and based on where you want them to go you can pick your aerial after the Dair like BSP said. Incredibly handy vs. spacies, Falcon (I think) and etc., although my primary test dummy was Falco.

I lab with this character very rarely (I don't actually play him a lot I just like taking him for a spin here and there) so if I find any other cool setups or stuff I'll keep you all in the know.

Last edited:

vato_break

Smash Master
FLUDD is one of mario's best moves in this game and I think Cape is really good too. Though, this may not be true on wifi as all my experience has been offline.

BSP

Smash Legend
On wifi, I think it's harder to use FLUDD effectively because, you know, you have to visual cue that makes you think "Ok, better FLUDD them" -> you input it, but the delay could be the difference between the gimp and them living. It's still pretty useful though.

vato_break

Smash Master
It's everything it did in brawl but, way better. Except there are no FIHL frames, but it will still stall people because of it's duration. In Doubles it is even more deadly. I think mario's Gimping game is a lot better this time around because of fludd actually.

BSP

Smash Legend
It's everything it did in brawl but, way better. Except there are no FIHL frames, but it will still stall people because of it's duration. In Doubles it is even more deadly. I think mario's Gimping game is a lot better this time around because of fludd actually.
No FIHL is good IMO, because that means people can't attack through your FLUDD to basically negate the push. You can tell the Devs were paying attention when they made it transcendent.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd mentioned it first, but if you guys aren't doing Uthrow -> Dair -> Fair/Bair/Uair/Dair(lol)/Nair/Up B against fastfallers who can shield your Utilt if you Dthrow at 0%, do it. It's a free 30% and they can't do anything about it, and it sets them up for your mid % combos.
That combo is really DI dependent, and if you miss, you put yourself in a fairly poor position. I wouldn't count on that personally. Just better to do a Jab combo, get a D-throw, then U-tilt.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
For the most part, I use Fludd as a recovery move. While off stage, I turn in the opposite direction (facing away from the stage) and fire Fludd while moving towards the stage. It give Mario a slight momentum, and has saved me plenty of times.

Also, Hi! This is the first time I'm on this thread.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I still want to know how much FLUDD helps Mario's recovery. I've never used it in an actual match.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Fine, he's better. I still don't see the top 7 that some of the top players throw around, but the character is viable for sure. I underestimated Mario for sure from the get-go.
All I asked was the bold :). I agree that right now I believe he's slightly overrated. Top 15 imo. Honestly, I think tier list talk is more or less irrelevant until Apex.

I never tried Uthrowing vs. fast fallers but I might try it now at 0%. Dthrow > Utilt chains work just fine, but instead of doing it at 0% you gotta do it at 10% or maybe 15%. So just hit with a couple fireballs or a jab combo.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So on Smashladder.com, I got called out by a Mario player. He said was a big name to Mario players due to my contributions on the Brawl Mario boards. Even went as far as to say I'm one of his biggest heroes. Yet I didn't win a single tournament in Brawl.

Logic aside, it felt pretty great to be praised like that.

Edit: Oh look I'm a mod now.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
How does one aim FLUDD? And would that cause any momentum shifts in the usage of FLUDD as recovery?

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
How does one aim FLUDD? And would that cause any momentum shifts in the usage of FLUDD as recovery?
Use the control stick while shooting water to aim it. You can aim up or down. I tend to aim up because FLUDD's water naturally pushes people up, so aiming up -> more water connecting meaning a larger push.

As far as I know, FLUDD would be good to push edgeguarders away from Mario as he recovers, but it does push him slightly back as well. I don't use it to cover my recovery because I'd rather have my charge ready for whiff punishes and pushing people to the ledge.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Huh... that means Normal Get-Up > Shield is Mario's safest option from the ledge. Only broken by Grabs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Huh... that means Normal Get-Up > Shield is Mario's safest option from the ledge. Only broken by Grabs.
Pretty universal for most characters. Ledge trapping is overall less broken in this game making ledge standing overall the preferred ledge option. Worth noting that properly timed lingering hitboxes beat everything except ledgeroll.

Last edited:

vato_break

Smash Master
Going to final battle today! Going all mario!(except vs diddy >_>). Maybe, i'll get on stream? who knows. I still don't have a wiiu so all my practice has been from tournaments LOL. I still use brawl mario tactics....and they still work. I'll report back how I did :)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Have fun waiting in that huge line Vato. I heard from EC guys that its packed. Who do you use vs. Diddy? Mario does pretty well.

You can't double post so I'm just gonna add it here. Fellow Mario players, if an opponent stays on the ledge too long (or tries to regrab it after leaving it) what are the best options to punish? Dsmash? Down angled Fsmash? Maybe a tilt will hit them away far?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Have fun waiting in that huge line Vato. I heard from EC guys that its packed. Who do you use vs. Diddy? Mario does pretty well.

You can't double post so I'm just gonna add it here. Fellow Mario players, if an opponent stays on the ledge too long (or tries to regrab it after leaving it) what are the best options to punish? Dsmash? Down angled Fsmash? Maybe a tilt will hit them away far?
Dash attack. I **** you not. Sometimes it might even end up stage spiking them. Or fall off and back air of you're fighting a particularly foolish opponent.
On an unrelated note: Hey, Mystic's a mod now!

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok so I did well in doubles today with Mario. Got 3rd out of 29 or so teams, so that was pretty good. Got bopped in singles, but against good players so I have no shame in the losses. I was at a loss of what to do vs. Fox that used his superior mobility to dance around me and throw out Usmash when I was at KO % and committed, or grabbed any other time.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm having major problems with the same tactic vs Fox as well. Only thing I can think of is using FLUDD.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Throw out a lot of DAs and N-airs to keep Fox honest about his mobility. Once he starts playing more carefully, you can then start spacing more conventionally and do fastfaller combos on him to even the score. Save B-throw for KOs if he tries really hard to not get U-smashed (tbh, rage boosted anything will KO him, so focus on just racking damage that he can't punish with his Smashes). Fox isn't difficult, arguably even matchup.

The matchup is basically identical to vs Falcon, except lesser focus on gimps.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
So I got 16th in the Smash 4 Worldwide online tournament mostly going Mustard Mario. Hopefully the results go up soon.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I haven't fought many Foxes, but the ones I did never gave me any trouble. All I can say is take advantage of his predictable recovery and gimp him. You can duck under his Blaster too, for all those who didn't know.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I need a bit of help here.

For those who don't know, Pac-Man's hydrant can be reflected when he drops it on you. It shoots straight up and hits him pretty hard, enough to maybe kill at mid percents. I've done this twice in For Glory, but never saved the replays.
Does anyone know the exact timing for this? Or have a video/gif of it?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mario mains! I'm a Luigi main and I'm looking to start using Mario as a secondary to cover his really bad match ups -- specifically Villager (it was between Fox and Mario so I'm going double plumber cause style). Turns out Mario playsreally differently. Are there any video guides anyone can recommend to get me started?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
There isn't really any video guides of Mario quite yet. He's still being explored and personally, I don't think anyone can make guides of him just yet. Best bet is to check out tournament matches in the video thread. I suggest anything with Anti's Mario in it.

Top Bottom