• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Doubles Thread!+

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Mario in Doubles

INTRODUCTION

I thought it be cool if we discuss Mario in Doubles.​
His pros and flaws. Talk about how good Mario and bad mario is teamed with the other characters. Also how good and bad the other characters is teamed with Mario.​
I want to here your opinions on the team and what you would rate the team (1/10)... and stuff.​
What ever your opinions are, I will paste them here..
Dont have to talk about the characters in order..​

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323085

-------------------

THE TEAMS
open--​
[COLLAPSE="read"]​
Steep - Mario works well with heavy hitters in general I find because he has the ability to be good at setting up kills. His jabs are fast and have enough stun to set your opponent up for kills and his jab-jab-jab string always has low knockback so that is also good for setting stuff up. jab cancelling can hold an opponent for your ally as well. And back throw can be interrupted if they time it right. I've teamed with lots of characters though and honestly if you play it right Mario can be pretty decent. We already mentioned CMA, and Fludd has multiple uses (can push your ally while charging smashes, etc., automatically stops all momentum (can save your partner or hold an enemy in place for them to hit them multiple times with high damaging and knockback moves in a short amount of time), can also eliminate pesky projectiles, or throw off your opponent's spacing. I think Mario is much better in teams as long as he has a partner that can cover his weaknesses, IE kill power and crowd control capabilities. He is a good support character, and can camp the ledge like a mofo if he needs to. I love doubles so I'm really happy to see this being talked about.​
[/COLLAPSE]​

Team-- Bowser
[COLLAPSE="read"]

opinions-

Mario-

Bowser-

rating

Videos[/COLLAPSE]

Team-- C.Falcon
[COLLAPSE="open"]

opinions-

Mario-

Falcon-

rating-

videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Diddy Kong

[COLLAPSE="open"]opinions--

Mario-

Diddy Kong-

rating-

videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Donkey Kong
[COLLAPSE="open"]

- DK Cargo throw (forward, then down) -> Mario Footstool -> DK dtilt lock (1x) -> Mario jab lock -> Fully charged DK down smash -> Mario Cape Momentum Acceleration.

Mario-

Donkey Kong-

rating-

videos[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Falco
[COLLAPSE="open"]

opinions-

Mario-

Falco-

Rating-

Video-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Fox
[COLLAPSE="open"]
opinions-

Mario-

Fox-

Rating-

Video-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Mr. Game and Watch
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario- mars16: " Mario has a good number of tool for damage dealing and spacial control, say his Fireballs and his fast aerials, nd his Fireballs can be helpful with his partners approach. I Think G&W is easily one of Mario's best teammates do to his good ko potential and mario's fire ball is very helpful with G&W down B, with that said this team has pretty good team tactics, also Game has good gimmick to like his UAIR and Down throw be fallowed up by Mario. Theres plenty of team tactics, Mario's grab release(or even throw) to G&W filled up down B could be devestating.

Mr. G&W-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team-Ganondorf
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

Ganondorf-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Ice Climbers
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

I'Cs-

Rating-

Videos-
Infinite super Armor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FLQllWySQg
[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Ike
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

Ike-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Jigglypuff
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

Jiggly-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--King D3
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-
Well i'm no expert in doubles. But i will say D3 can help make things easier for mario.
D3 can live longer, kill early, has kill moves, range etc.. D3 can play the role as "the punisher" in doubles,
While mario can play the role as the "supporter" like tanking stocks, adding damage & killing when needed.

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-
Flameleon and Addy Team
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgObMyM4PM0[/COLLAPSE]

Team----Kirby
[COLLAPSE="open"]

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7960321&postcount=4

Opinion-
Kawwaii Viny: As told before, Kirby is a very good doubles character. And the fact that you can even kill teammates early with the cape **** technique only proves it further.

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Link

[COLLAPSE="open"]Opinion-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Lucario
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos- [/COLLAPSE]

Team--Lucas
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Luigi
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-
Mario and Luigi make a good team! They both help each other out on there short comings. Mario is a good edge guarder and is also good at racking damage as Luigi is good at racking damge and killing early. When opponent is off stage thats when mario can pull out his gimp game because in teams its easier to gimp opponents wen theres so much going on. When there at kill percent, witch is pretty low for Luigi, luigi can start going for the kills. Ub KO's are easy for Luigi in teams and it also easier to throw out and land his Fsmash easier to. Also Mario Mario's Fsmash is more reliable in teams.

Mario's cape does weird stuff to Vertical kb and Luig has strong fast KO movers like his up B. Mario can grab his opponent and release them, if Luigi catches on he can get a Ub on them as they suffer from grab release lag, then Mario can cape the enemy killingt them at around 15%... but I doubt that it would be that easy.....pretty cool tho....
Both Mario and Luigi's camping game is better when there together, Mario's fire balls have good range and descend downward from the are as Luigi's doesnt, Mario can do short hop fireball to the piont they dont hit Luigi, while Luigi shots his fireball on the ground.
There recovery's are not that good, (tho Luigi's is nt that much to worry about).
-Watch out in recovering. Luigi might accidentally gimp mario if he uses rising cyclone to recover.
-considering they have the same grab animation. I think Luigi or mario can go for Fthrow to tilted fsmash.
-If possible Luigi can assist mario in getting ridiculous jab combos since Luigi's jab has more stun.

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Mario
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team--Marth
[COLLAPSE="OPEN"]

Opinion- mars16: "I find this to be one of Mario's not so good team. not bad but not good. Mario can be very supportive with damage stuff, using Fireball and aerials, Marth has some good kill stuff, say his tipping and spacing with Fair.. Tho he can be good at getting kills (there are other character that can do it better) Marth is light and in Doubles can be easily pressured because theres 2 he's fighting and he seems more of the 1v1 type character. Marth is ok but there's better teammates for double that they can do better then marth in.... in doubles. Theres also fludd+sheildbreaker=Team tactic."
Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-to juggle."

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

TEAM--Meta knight
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-
Meta Knight is very helpful teamate for Mario, you dont have to worry about him getting gimped, he can rack damage very well, and he's also good for both an aggressive role and Support role. Mario can Back MK up very well, Mario can punish well and create some good set ups for MK. MK'S ip thorw is god, because its and easy cape **** for Mario.

Mario has good air game but his ground game not good (not to bad), Meta knight is good in the air and on ground, he makes Mario's ground game easier.

Both MK and Mario lack kill power, early KO's, it mostly be stock tanking...but MK can still kill pretty good because he has a good gimping ability. How well there are gimping together... seems good.

Good stage for this team would be BF.

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Ness
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinion-
I think Ness is one of Mario's better teammates! They both rack damage good in the air, both good jugglers. Ness is good, as he picks up for Mario's inability to kill fast enough. Mario also helps out Ness's (already good air game) because gets his enemys in the air alot for combos, this gives Ness good follow up options... and stuff.
Also Mario's fire balls are great for the psi Magnet and cape also helps out Ness aerial game. Like his pkfire.
Mario an also catch early kills off stage (gimps) that Ness might not be able to get.
In teams there Jab locks can be easier to get. Say Ness Down air someone and Mario catches on to it in time.

.....its a good team...

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team---------OLIMAR!
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinions-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Pikachu!
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinions-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos[/COLLAPSE]

Team---Solid Snake
[COLLAPSE="Open!?"]

Opinions-

Mario-

teammate-

Rating-

Videos[/COLLAPSE]
Team--ZSS
[COLLAPSE="open"]

Opinions-

It's really good when you team Mario with someone who has some range with their KO moves, and someone who can help you get in. I find ZSS's sideB to be invaluable for Mario to get in if you know the frames, and it helps kill, rack up damage... it's a good move, and Mario's quick aerials can lead into some interesting combos if you happen to hit them back to ZSS.

Also, the cape can lead to some great shenanigans with momentum. If you work on Down B, or accerating the upwards momentum from a Double Jump->Up B Zamus gets, you can have one of the best anti-air games in the, well, game. ZSS covers the kill moves and air juggling.

The problem is that we can do it when practicing, but come game time we just kind of fall apart and do our own thing. There has to be focus on both players– a chemistry if you will(and this goes for all teams)– to actually use the specific setups that are unique to each character.

Cape and F.L.U.D.D are what a Mario needs to use in this team, especially when using ZSS's SideB(Push her along with F.L.U.D.D./Extend the duration of the hurt box by out-prioritizing the water/Or both!). Mario can get in better thanks to ZSS, but it's still a 1v1 game for Mario, which makes him good for focusing on weak links. His 2v1 game is... lacking, really. He doesn't have the range and the followups to really make a dent when taking on multiple foes without his teammate nearby, unless you are really good at making your opponents play "Stop Hitting Yourselves!"

Rating-

Videos-[/COLLAPSE]

Teams-- tier List
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---

Another 20 min break......

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
First!!!!!

I can't wait to see the full development of this thread.
I do like teaming with other characters like zss, G&W & luigi

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
For you :mario2: players, here's some stuff to research on how Mario helps :kirby2::

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7960321&postcount=4
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7985308&postcount=14 (Cape ****)

It may be outdated, but it sure helps a lot.

====

As told before, Kirby is a very good doubles character. And the fact that you can even kill teammates early with the cape **** technique only proves it further. The technique also applies to metaknight, lol. Interested in seeing this develop.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
So why is the D3 and Mario so legit?

So what do you think about the Zss/Mario team?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Well i'm no expert in doubles. But i will say D3 can help make things easier for mario.
D3 can live longer, kill early, has kill moves, range etc.. D3 can play the role as "the punisher" in doubles,
While mario can play the role as the "supporter" like tanking stocks, adding damage & killing when needed.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So why is the D3 and Mario so legit?
Dude, what's not to like? You have a built in infinite combo!

So what do you think about the Zss/Mario team?
It's really good when you team Mario with someone who has some range with their KO moves, and someone who can help you get in. I find ZSS's sideB to be invaluable for Mario to get in if you know the frames, and it helps kill, rack up damage... it's a good move, and Mario's quick aerials can lead into some interesting combos if you happen to hit them back to ZSS.

Also, the cape can lead to some great shenanigans with momentum. If you work on Down B, or accerating the upwards momentum from a Double Jump->Up B Zamus gets, you can have one of the best anti-air games in the, well, game. ZSS covers the kill moves and air juggling.

The problem is that we can do it when practicing, but come game time we just kind of fall apart and do our own thing. There has to be focus on both players– a chemistry if you will(and this goes for all teams)– to actually use the specific setups that are unique to each character.

Cape and F.L.U.D.D are what a Mario needs to use in this team, especially when using ZSS's SideB(Push her along with F.L.U.D.D./Extend the duration of the hurt box by out-prioritizing the water/Or both!). Mario can get in better thanks to ZSS, but it's still a 1v1 game for Mario, which makes him good for focusing on weak links. His 2v1 game is... lacking, really. He doesn't have the range and the followups to really make a dent when taking on multiple foes without his teammate nearby, unless you are really good at making your opponents play "Stop Hitting Yourselves!"

---

By the by, you can watch my awful performance against Keitaro and WTP here: http://www.twitch.tv/xatic/b/321657473

I should mention I'm bad, and I haven't touched the game since the tournament. Only been playing the game in my thoughts and critiquing my own performances.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I have never teamed with a good mario player in doubles to know how the team could work.

All I could say on this is

-Watch out in recovering. Luigi might accidentally gimp mario if he uses rising cyclone to recover.
-considering they have the same grab animation. I think Luigi or mario can go for Fthrow to tilted fsmash.
-If possible Luigi can assist mario in getting ridiculous jab combos since Luigi's jab has more stun.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong on this guys, but from what I understand, if Mario capes an opponent that is suffering from knockback after being hit by a move (ie he capes them during hitstun) then the knockback is increased by quite a bit because of cape, right?

If this is the case, I imagine ZSS' dsmash can kill fairly early because
-It has delayed knockback, which gives Mario time to get in 2-3 capes depending on how much damage the target has, and multiple capes --> multiple increases in knockback...right?
-Multiple capes (and multiple dsmashes) = more %, so in total there's a huge knockback increase

Somebody test this please or tell me why it doesn't work? It seems like it'd work but I don't really understand Mario that well lol

Outside of this I don't see Mario being a good partner for ZSS (obviously) and I don't see how she specifically would complement him well.

bestmarioNA1337

Smash Rookie
i'm pretty sure mario and wario are a good team because mario and wario are from the same universe kinda and that helps their synergy. but mario and luigi are too similar and because of that they are not as good as mario and wario. and bowser is marios enemy so that doesnt work.

and peach is a girl so thats why wario is marios best partner.

stack

Smash Cadet
NNID
stack0123
i'm pretty sure mario and wario are a good team because mario and wario are from the same universe kinda and that helps their synergy. but mario and luigi are too similar and because of that they are not as good as mario and wario. and bowser is marios enemy so that doesnt work.

The chemistry between characters from the same universe has little to no meaning in any of the Super Smash Bros games, and neither does gender. And actually Mario and Luigi make excellent team mates BECAUSE they're similar. Since both characters have like moves its much easier for Mario and Luigi mains to develop good synergy because both players know what they're working with. I have no clue how well Mario and Wario fair as a team, and I assume Bowser works the same as DDD in that Mario provides support and Bowser can handle KO's. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the Mario and Bowser info.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Stack is right. Bieng from the smae universe has nothing to do with the game.

if that is the case then Wario and Mario would not work either because they dont like each.

But that doesn't matter......

Luigisama

Smash Champion

not sure why anyone is taking this guy seriously.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this guys, but from what I understand, if Mario capes an opponent that is suffering from knockback after being hit by a move (ie he capes them during hitstun) then the knockback is increased by quite a bit because of cape, right?

If this is the case, I imagine ZSS' dsmash can kill fairly early because
-It has delayed knockback, which gives Mario time to get in 2-3 capes depending on how much damage the target has, and multiple capes --> multiple increases in knockback...right?
-Multiple capes (and multiple dsmashes) = more %, so in total there's a huge knockback increase

Somebody test this please or tell me why it doesn't work? It seems like it'd work but I don't really understand Mario that well lol

Outside of this I don't see Mario being a good partner for ZSS (obviously) and I don't see how she specifically would complement him well.
just tried this out. It barely works. It has to be the instant a character is hit.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
hmm so I was thinking with falcon and mario. If Falcon does an up b on the ground on the opponent and as he is in grab motion the opponent gets caped will that increase knockback?

Also this really seems like good stuff. I almost feel like doing one for the luigis. But it would be cool if someone could dedicate time to testing out these team combinations.

I would think that for most of the teams mario can provide support and get across the stage in time to help his partner. Also rack up damage and his partner if it's someone like Ike, Ganondorf, Donkey kong, or anyone other hard hitters can finish off the opponent.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
You know... still one of the biggest questions for me is "do you have team attack on?"
I mean that makes a huge difference if you have someone like zss on your team...

What if you get hit with the Fspecial?
Or what happens if you get caught in zss's Dsmash spam??

And dont say thats not gonna happen! cuz mario is a very close range fighter, and zss's trademark is popping in at midrange and showering damage on everything in the way ...

And with mario's fighting style he's often "in the way"

:phone:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
If so then yah.

However i should tell you with "friendly fire" on, its not a legitimate team battle.

:phone:

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't think gothrax is aware of the sheer amount of bull**** that can go down with FF off.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
LMAO....Guys, can we stay on topic of this thread, please?

We need to continue to learn what characters can help mario out in dubz.
We should start inviting dub pros to help us out like, mekos.

:pow:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Oh heck yes. I will definitely be helping out with this thread. I'll edit this post with help later.

Lucas+Mario isn't too bad of a team. A little weak and probably at best a 5/10.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Quick question... Do you guys think Mario is a better character in doubles than in singles?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Quick question... Do you guys think Mario is a better character in doubles than in singles?
Well, mario can be a better character in doubles if he has a partner thats higher in the tier rankings.
two low tier characters tag-teaming would be an up hill battle.

:pow:

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Mario is a pretty good support character with Fireballs, FLUDD, Cape and Jab Lock but that's all I can really think of. It's just that Mario has more ways to be helpful in doubles situations. If you can get a Doubles Mario trapped in a one-on-one situation (which happens a lot) then there's no real difference.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Kirby is still a work in progress or something? And my username's wrong too, lol. Just call me Vinyl..

Mind telling me what the teammate party's for?

Top Bottom