• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

steep

Smash Lord
Thanks TMario. That's a really good observation, especially the Cape Stalling being something I do a lot. I knew I was playing aggressively but some of that had to do with the MU and me not wanting to let ROB feel comfortable because he outspaces Mario really well. I was trying to get in. However, you're right that I need to learn when to be aggressive and when to slow down, because I was getting punished for going in too much. Thank you for the compliments as well, I've really been working on making my Mario faster!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I just saw your match against chibo, steep. You didn't even use fludd once, it's really useful against rob.

I use fludd to push rob away when he tries to kill me with nair, fair or bair. mix-up your options after throwing a fireball.

:pow:

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, FLUDD is a good way to bait those not too familiar with Mario. Like, while charging FLUDD, opponents see it as a chance to go on the offensive. Great way to change the pace of a match. Nice call Cwhip.

steep

Smash Lord
That's true Cwhip I could probably have utilized FLUDD more throughout the match. I guess I was too concerned with trying to get in on ROB. A long time ago I played against Mr. Eric and after our game he said that I respected ROB too much and I should go in more because ROB doesn't have many options once Mario is inside. I guess I took his advice a little too far and let myself get tunnel vision in the MU. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Eric is right about rob not having many options once mario is in close range combat. rob's nair & bair are his best kill moves. Fair is pretty gay & can be spam if your offstage trying to recover.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I saw your match. To be honest, I have you seen you do better. Me and SilentDrumr talked about it on skype. We both agreed you actually did quite poorly. Silent was all like "He choked man, that's all I have to say." But you did have some pretty good punishes and ****. I agree with Tmario, watch the caping against R.O.B. I have a friend, name is stevo, I believe you may know him. His brother is Kiraflax and he's a R.O.B./pit main. So he practices a lot of spacing and stuff when he fights his R.O.B. you should check out his matches on youtube. Just search up Stevo vs KiraFlax, and scroll until you see the R.O.B. ones. P.S. Chibo did some fancy **** there dude, Glide toss>Usmash>Bair. I was like, DAYYUUMMMM, chibo...

That's true Cwhip I could probably have utilized FLUDD more throughout the match. I guess I was too concerned with trying to get in on ROB. A long time ago I played against Mr. Eric and after our game he said that I respected ROB too much and I should go in more because ROB doesn't have many options once Mario is inside. I guess I took his advice a little too far and let myself get tunnel vision in the MU. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Mr. Eric is such an aggressive Marth. I only do wifi, but he's crazy man. How bad was it? lol. He told me to be "faster" with mario. I was just like, there's lag + How are you suppose to be faster with Mario? I feel like I may be missing something there, lol

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Can we start a discussion on how to take on ROB? Like, what are some good tactics?

Ever since the format change, scanning through old threads is a nightmare for me.

silentdrumr1

Smash Rookie
Hey guys this is silent. I too main mario, I'm new to smashboards but not this game xD. Found this thread through T25 and steep. Hopefully I can relay some good mario info and learn some stuff from you guys as well.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
A fellow plumber, eh?
If you'd care to indulge us, I have a few Qs for you to help us get a better understanding of your style.

Any tourny exp?
Any vids on Youtube?

And most importantly,
How do you kno T25 and steep?
Got any embarrassing stories of them for us?

silentdrumr1

Smash Rookie
Been to a whopping 4 tourneys. Whobo 3 was my first, then hobo 39-40, and my latest was Whobo 5.

As to videos, nothing professional is up, only friendlies. And they're rather old. Hopefully if they make a ccv I'll be able to star in it. I've already sent some replays to T25.

I met T25 on allisbrawl and skype chat groups that he made for mario mains.

I met steep at sync's place here in houston where we decided to team up since we were both mario mains. I think we did pretty dam good for being the first time ever playing together and the fact that I suck at doubles.
Steep taught me a lot about how to cover your partner and how to do some good follow ups in team combos. He also taught me some stuff on match ups I wasn't familiar with.

Embarrassing stories? Funny enough, as good as steep is at his match ups, he could work a bit on his mario ditto hahaha. But when it comes to tournament, the man is far more suited to play than I am. Good stuff at whobo 5 steep(that was a tough pool man).

As for T25 I think he says "swag" a little too much for his own good lol. But he's a great motivator for mario mains and a great enthusiast for all things smash related.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
As for T25 I think he says "swag" a little too much for his own good lol. But he's a great motivator for mario mains and a great enthusiast for all things smash related.
I didn't realize T25 was an inspiration for mario mains alike. I guess i have been sleeping under a rock for so long.

Anyway, welcome to the boards, silent.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
@Silent: Welp, you're already more pro than me. I've only been to a handful of local events and only one real tourny, in which I drowned in pools, though I'm pretty sure I'll hit Phoenix Saga 6 in Ann Arbor, Michigan this December.

@T25: LOL! You think we know what we're talking about!

TMario

Smash Apprentice
No, Im kidding man. Most of us kind of have an idea to what we're talking about.

The thing about Mario (and those that main him): He's a versatile character. He has answers to many (but not all) situations; few, if any, are sure-fire ways to go. When you watch a match like Boss, Steep, or Cwhip, they're all good but they each have their own style.

That's why I say we really don't know what we're talking about. We just know what works for us individually. And in that, we have kind of an idea to the character.

You'll learn that with Mario, there's no right or wrong. Only choices.

Except for d-tilt.
That's just wrong.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Lol I see. I pay more attention to boss's matches than anybody else here. I got a lot of mind games and approaches off his matches. And it's also how I learned my snake mu. So I understand what you mean now. And of course, we all have different play styles. And d-tilt is wrong lol.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I never think about using d-tilt in a match since it seems completely useless. But I guess it's a good mixup. Getting your opponent thinking your wide open after doing a move like that and then going for the kill. Although the last time I ever used d-tilt purposefully was in a Mario ditto. I did 2 jabs>dtilt>dsmash and got the KO

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I actually did that with steep when we were teaming and I was left to 2v1. It ended with me d-tilting to fsmashing a puff lol. But other than that, it's just wrong. haha
or you can d-tilt > (read ur opponent's landing)U-smash. it's pretty much old 2010 mario crap, but can be somewhat useful.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
I sometimes d-tilt accidently (control stick is pushed too far to the lower left or right corner though I meant for an f-tilt) and I sometimes manage to throw my opponent off. I just go along with it and I'm sometimes able to KO opponents, depending on the situation and the character. Sometimes although, I end up throwing myself off with my accidental d-tilts.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
No, Im kidding man. Most of us kind of have an idea to what we're talking about.

The thing about Mario (and those that main him): He's a versatile character. He has answers to many (but not all) situations; few, if any, are sure-fire ways to go. When you watch a match like Boss, Steep, or Cwhip, they're all good but they each have their own style.

That's why I say we really don't know what we're talking about. We just know what works for us individually. And in that, we have kind of an idea to the character.

You'll learn that with Mario, there's no right or wrong.
My plumber is a chameleon of other mario mains.
Boss, Famous, flameleon, Teb, vato_break, bo_x7 & kirnblaze. Add them with my style,
you get a deadly over-all mario main w/skillz. #Where'sMatador?

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't have a clue where matador is, but he may just be busy with life. Just like all the other inactive marios there are. That's usually the case. Or they just decided to completely quit the character and ditch the mario boards.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I'm with both vato & xero on this one. Melee > Brawl, by a mile.

Now I kinda wish I didn't sold my melee copy. Melee is MUCH harder to find nowadays.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's more or less dead in less concentrated regions such as the Midwest. Of course there are still several states that still have activity, but just because they have a larger concentration of players.

My state is more or less the most dead Brawl state in the Midwest, which is a shame. If I ever got back into the game I wouldn't be playing primarily Mario again, that's for sure.

Top Bottom