• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards Chat Group

What Chat Should We Use?

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Xat

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Other (AIM, Meebo, Facebook, etc.)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No Chat (include why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hello Mario boards!

There have been ideas going around about getting together a Mario chat room of some sort to encourage discussion, camaraderie, and the general flow of ideas between us. I want to know what you guys think about this idea. Our Mario boards social has been going pretty well lately as far as activity goes. However, we all know that chat =/= forum...which is why I think this could be a great addition to the community.

We've had chats like Skype and Xat before, but they fell through rather early. I believe that it was mostly due to inactivity, which begets itself most of the time. If we all decide on a chat, then make conscious steps to be IN the chat when we can (or at designated times if we decide upon that), it will flourish.

So give me your ideas. Do you want:
  1. Mario Community Skype
  2. Mario Community Xat
  3. Other Social Application (AIM, Meebo, Facebook, etc)
  4. I don't want an off-site chat

I'll take action based on the results. Let's have this done by 11:00 PM, EST on Friday July 1st.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Xat is ALOT way more easier since,

1. Skype is a -_- and won't work for me [Plus I have no Mic,or Camera]

2. I don't have a facebook.... causes too much drama Imo.

3. Why wouldn't we want a chat? It would be WAY faster communication

So I pick Xat. Nice idea btw.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Btw, no mic or camera needed for Skype. We've had a few really good chats without them.

They'd be cool tho, I'll admit.

Thanks for voting, TEB.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Yeah no problem, yeah the only problem is when I start it up it crashes and Idk why but I never
bothered to check google and stuff. I haven't played brawl in a while though. [Sorry to be off-topic] :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Xat is the way to go. The only thing that can go wrong is if the link to the chat isn't posted in an extremely obvious location.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Xat would be the easiest. We could all just bookmark it then plan to meet up at certain times. The only problem is that we won't be able to record our talks if we ever actually do metagame discussion.

Not sure yet, but it's something to think about.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why don't we just have ALL of them? A Skype, Xat, and Mario Chat on FB. In fact, I can make the Facebook group easily. They have group chat.
This is definitely an option. I just limited to one because, in the past, we've had problems just keeping one active.

Like, we had one time a week for skype, which was set well in advance, and barely anyone would show. If we're active, I have no problem with multiple social outlets.

Edit @ Jimmy: I figure that the backroom is for more big picture stuff, whereas a social chat is just casual discussion.

The backroom will still have a purpose if this goes the way that I think it will.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
lol, pretty much everyone (even me) is voting for xat @ this point, probably the easiest imo.
Or we should make a new mario back room "The hidden pipe house"

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
This is definitely an option. I just limited to one because, in the past, we've had problems just keeping one active.

Like, we had one time a week for skype, which was set well in advance, and barely anyone would show. If we're active, I have no problem with multiple social outlets.

Edit @ Jimmy: I figure that the backroom is for more big picture stuff, whereas a social chat is just casual discussion.

The backroom will still have a purpose if this goes the way that I think it will.
Consider this scenario. The Mario main (in this example will be me), doesn't check smashboards too often. However, he does check facebook quite often. If anything, a facebook group could be used to notify everyone that there is something going on the Xat and/or Skype chats at a certain time, so they won't forget. Also, people spend a hell of a lot of time on facebook, so the group chat function could be very useful. There isn't a reason not to have one. I would have made it already if I had any of you added on Facebook, but I don't so I can't add you guys.

There is no reason NOT to have multiple ways to contact eachother. In any circumstance it will only increase the likelihood that people will actually remember to be active.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well stated, you have a good point. There really isn't much of a downside for saturating the social networking stuff around here.

Welp, let's jump on this then, shall we? Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with facebook since I don't have one, so would you mind making the group, Xero? I'll make mine today or tomorrow.

I was thinking that we could start doing the weekly Skype chats again that Calebyte used to hold on Sundays, except this time around, we'd use it for important metagame stuff...sort of in conjunction with the MBR. Perhaps a topic every meeting instead of freeform chat...

Also, the MarioCritique Xat is going to double as the Social Xat as well. If anyone objects to this, let me know and we'll just make another. I just prefer not to have a ton of URLs floating around.

Alright guys, thanks for your participation! Let me know what you think of my suggestions, and post your facebook/skype info!

:phone:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I can't make the group until I have at least one person I can add to it (not including myself for some stupid reason). Matador if you have one I can add you and then you can add everyone else to it, and I'll give you administrative privileges even though they do nothing but allow you to boot members from the group.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I can't make mine right now, but I'll have one done by tonight/tomorrow. I'll post my name here.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Also, the MarioCritique Xat is going to double as the Social Xat as well. If anyone objects to this, let me know and we'll just make another. I just prefer not to have a ton of URLs floating around.

It's the MarioCritique Xat, lol.

Javix

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing the page can do that couldn't be done just as easily by the group. I don't see why you need both. The page just seems superfluous.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
We get notices on Facebook. That's good for me.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
C'mon guys, get on this! Go join the facebook group, like the page, and let's get this poppin!

Been busy lately, figured I'd wait for things to slow down before I helped get these chats to take off, but that's not working. I'm gonna just try to juggle school, work, and the Mario Boards and see how things pan out, lol.

We have to make a conscious effort to be in the Xat as much as possible. If you're checking smashboards, have the Xat up in a tab. If you're watching a stream, let us know and we can open that up in the Xat (I think, lol) so that all the Marios available can watch.

Hell, if you're doing ANYTHING computer related, have that Xat open! I'll be posting here with details about the Skype and what'll be going on in that chat soon.

MY INFO:
Skype - Kmatador77
AIM - Zalba77
Facebook - Not sure...lol...I think my username is Kmatador77, and my actual name is like...Bob Jones XD

Post your stuffs! gogogogogo

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Sup Marios, I'm not sure how to use Xat exactly. Yes, I brawl competitively along with mvc3/mk9 & I'd like to help those willing to put in work.

Sadly, I don't wifi anymore but I do attend tourneys whenever possible (always helping out the smash community). Help me out bros, thanks.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I gotchu, Omari. Already sent a PM.

What does everyone think about having the Skypes again on Sundays, same time as before (9pm EST)?

They'd be a little more structured this time around tho. Topics n whatnot...

Who'd be available for that? If you aren't, suggest another time.

Top Bottom