• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario AND Doc

cooperskat

Smash Rookie
Do you guys think it is worth it to practice both Mario and Doc for certain matchups? Like do you think either character has matchups that they excel at when compared to the other?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
If you main Mario, I recommend at least learning Doc for Puff.

j3ly

Smash Champion
I think the only advantage mario has is VS doc funnily enough. If you have a top doc there isn't any reason to use mario unless you're looking for style points

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
They're close enough you could get by practicing one of them actively (but it also means practicing both shouldn't get in the way of either).
Any mu where you don't get a fair off of a grab I would automatically favor Mario due to those two side-attacks that have superior horizontal range (mostly Fsmash tho), even if he doesn't have that silly bair. If you're more confident onstage than in edgeguarding, that's also a point for Mario in a given MU. Also, just practicing fireball stacking (using fireball height and aerial mobility to make a tight wave of fireballs) on say, Pokémon gives you a reason to try Mario (better vs slower characters). Vs someone CC heavy, or just to start up a combo at low percent (or do semi-pillaring or force a third jump usage), Plunger may become more useful than Dr. Punch (forward air for both).

Last edited:
Top Bottom