• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 3.6 beta

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello and welcome to the Project M 3.6 changelist! This is an extensive (but potentially not complete) log documenting the changes between Project M 3.5 and Project M 3.6. As usual, we prioritized getting the changelist out right when the version released, so in some cases it may not be 100% correct or formatted nicely. Please understand that these changelogs were compiled by different people, and as such they may be worded differently.

With that out of the way, we're going to be using some technical terms that the community at large may not understand. To help with this changelog's effectiveness, we'll be defining these terms below.

DMG = Damage.
KB = Knockback
KBG = Knockback Growth. This value determines how quickly a hitbox's KB scales with the opponents percent. Damage is also a major factor in determining scaling.
BKB = Base Knockback. This amount of KB is added to the end result of the knockback formula and is most noticeable a low percents.
WDSK = Weight Dependent Set Knockback. As the name impies, this is a type of KB that is set and does not scale with percent, and instead has a set amount that varies only based on the opponents weight. KBG in this instance is used as a multiplier, but is usually set at 100.
IASA = Interruptible As Soon As. This is a long-standing term in competitive Smash that refers to the first frame that a character can interrupt an attack, often before the full animation has completed visually. Generally this will be used to describe endlag increases and decreases.
Hitlag = The amount of freeze frames a character goes into when hit by a hitbox. This term will usually be used to describe a multiplier that increases or decreases the amount of hitlag that a hitbox would normally induce.
SDI = Smash DI, the ability for a player to move around while in Hitlag based on control stick input. This term will usually be used to describe a multiplier that increases or decreases the effectiveness of SDIing an attack.
Angle/Trajectory = This describes the angle at which an opponent is sent flying after being hit by a hitbox. 90 is straight up, while 0 is a purely horizontal trajectory.
361 angle = This angle is used throughout the game as a dynamic replacement to what would otherwise be 45, the go-to "horizontal attack" angle. This angle starts off sending further horizontally than 45 at lower KBs, but quickly scales up to 45 in-game. For all intents and purposes you can imagine the trajectory as simply being 45.

Now that we've explained those terms, here's the changelog!

Tilts
  • Down Tilt
    • Trajectories homogenized to 80 degrees (from 80/85/90)
      • BKB 40 -> 30
      • KBG 70 -> 80
      • IASA 27 -> 29

Aerials
  • Forward Aerial
    • Hitboxes homogenialized to match hitting vs air and ground. Doctor Mario outward strike hits on frame 16 and 17, Mario meteor from frames 18 to 22. Previously against aerial opponents Doctor Mario outward strike hit from frames 16 to 19, with Mario's on frames 20 to 22.

• Up Aerial
    • Trajectory of later hit 55 from 65.

• Down Aerial
    • SDI multipliers all changed from x0.75 to x1.

What do you all think of these changes? Personally I love the change to forward-air; I'm finding it much easier to hit the meteor now. But all the changes seem nice to me. Buffs all around if I'm reading this right. I read the D-air thing backwards. ALSO, as of this posting, Mario did not lose the ability to get extra down-B height by setting the d-pad to all Special (Meta Knight and Luigi lost this ability).

Last edited:

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
I really really like the change to fair since the meteor is way easier to combo with and is pretty baller if you hit it offstage, and the change doesnt really impact my ability to land the sweet spot much either.

However, I don't know if I would consider any of the other changes a buff at all, down tilt has 2 frames more lag before you can act out of it and with less BKB I imagine it's going to be slightly worse early on, but it was already very crouch cancellable so I can't imagine it would affect down tilt too much. I assume because the KBG was also raised the percent at which d-tilt to fair would work might be the same, but I don't really know how the lag would affect that yet.

Late hit of up air trajectory change I think makes it harder to combo off of back hit of up air because it sends opponents further out now, but you *might* be able to use back hit of up air in edge guarding situations now and thats pretty cool.

And as far as the SDI Multipliers on down air thats just a straight nerf. None of these nerfs are really that big of a deal and I imagine that the fair changes will impact his game play more than anything, so all around I really like the changes

Last edited:

Wilfio

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've only been beating up on the CPU so far (weeklies is tonight) but I think the fair change was a good one. You can certainly get some hype combos and spike shenanigans now, but its a slight nerf to dthrow > fair, at some percentages (~110 on shiek) I was finding it hard to get the haymaker and kept getting the spike instead. Then again that could be a muscle memory thing that will clear up when i play more.

The dtilt changes were a nerf. It's not that safe to use at low percents now imo. I used to just spam it until it shield poked and then kept spamming it to juggle them, definitely can't do that any more but its still good to mix into your combos and still combos into fair at high percents.

The uair change was a good one i think. I remember thinking in 3.5 that the end of the backflip should send them more outwards (like CF and ganon), well now it does. late hit uair > bair still works fine im pretty sure, might even be better.

the SDI change to dair is one that a few characters with multi hit moves got i think. Its a nerf because it adds more counterplay but at my level i don't think it will matter much.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Dtilt is still good for combos, just not at like, really low %s anymore (a nerf is a nerf). The lower knockback makes it reliable at mid % though which is nice. IASA made a bit later too but not enough to greatly hinder its combo potential outside of low %s now. I think there is a nice little buff/change to it, mostly that it always hits at 80 degrees now so it's a lot more consistent.

Uair change is awesome, any late hitbox cool stuff will do something.

Dair is pretty much ass now. It already lost its disjoint and now it's a multi-hit that is even easier to SDI now sooooo yeah it's bad but that's nothing new.

Fair is more of a side-change. All of his combos into the Doc Fair still work, it hits for less active frames but it's easier to hit with the Mario portion of it in the air which is good for interesting combos/setups and doesn't really change too much.

My thoughts on the Mario changes are: He's mostly the same lol. Indifferent to it, still a really good character.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
l CAN NOW PUNCH THE **** OUTTA PEOPLE LIKE I USED TO IN MELEE!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Wilfio

Smash Rookie
Just got back from weeklies.

dtilt change will take a lot of getting used to. It feels a lot less safe, i used to use it for shield pressure a lot but now it feels kinda useless except as a combo extender. Pretty sad about this as its like the only ground move with any range that has combo potential.

f-air change, hmmmm. I missed a lot of opportunities where i would have got the kill in 3.5 but got the meteor instead and they just jumped out of it. I'm going to chalk this up to inexperience and hope its not a recurring problem. I did get a sick ledge drop walljump fair spike, so there's that ^_^

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
for some reaason D-throw Fair doesnt work the same. Either the opponent can jump out earlier than usual causing me to drop the follow up. or sometimes i hit the meteor and they land back on stage. Is their anyway to test if they changed down throw?

@ W Wilfio mario can still do d-tilt > jab pressure stuff. The timing is just different.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
for some reaason D-throw Fair doesnt work the same. Either the opponent can jump out earlier than usual causing me to drop the follow up. or sometimes i hit the meteor and they land back on stage. Is their anyway to test if they changed down throw?

@ W Wilfio mario can still do d-tilt > jab pressure stuff. The timing is just different.
D-Throw is the same as 3.5. The hard part about D-Throw -> Fair is the altered frame window for the Doc hit and the meteor hit. Just alter your timing a bit and it should work at the same %s it did in 3.5 (it did for me)

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
Yea you're right, took me a while to get used to it.

The change on fair is pretty good. At first(3.0-3.5) it had a really tight timing to aim. Now its much easier to land the meteor especially outside the stage.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I absolutely love the change in Mario's fair, especially when you catch recovering opponents off guard with it. Oh you thought I was gonna hit you the Doc, say hello to the abyss for me

Top Bottom