• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina- Turns the Tables!

Pakky

Smash Hero
File:Off the hook pose.gif

Marina From Splatoon 2

A little late in the game, but based on the events of Fighter Pass two with the addition of Min Min and now Pyra and Mythra, I think that Marina might be the next step as a DLC fighter. When this is, I can’t say; however, I do believe that if there is a Fighter’s Pass three, she’ll be very likely, that is, if she’s not in Fighter’s Pass two.

Unlike Pearl, Marina is more deeply rooted in the lore and events of the Splatoon Franchise and the themes of Splatoon 2 as a whole. For example. Marina is a defective, highly regarded weapons engineer from DJ Octavio ranks. She witnessed Agent 3 (the Inkling of Splatoon 1) defeat Octavio in the final battle. After Defecting is when she partners with Peral and creates their band ‘Off the Hook.’ Marina is responsible for creating notable things in the game, such as the ‘Flooder,’ which was an obstacle found in both Splatoon 1 and 2. She also made the ‘Shifty Stages,’ which are Splatfest stages available for private battles. More obviously, Marina is an Octoling, representing the playable nature of the race by players in Splatoon2. Also lastly and this is speculatory, but based on the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest, Marina might be the one who establishes the order in making a new Inkopolis if Pearl somehow nearly sent Splatoon’s earth into a second apocalypse.

Agent 8, much like Agent 4(The Inklings of Splatoon 2) and 3(The Inklings of Splatoon 1), are avatar characters. This is speculatory again; however, if we do get another Splatoon rep, much like with Animal Crossing’s inclusion of Isabelle, it will be a prominent named character in the franchise. As that is something missing from the Roster that we don't have from Splatoon yet. Having another avatar character would be doing mostly the same thing without adding much else from the franchise. From what we get lore-wise from Marina, she very much is in multiple facets of the lore, even more deeply rooted than Callie and Marie.

Moveset

Normals

Jab

Marina’s standard jab would be a kick and a homage to the dodging that the Splat Duallies give the player in Splatoon 2. These kick can lead into a rapid-fire shot from the Splat Duallies when Marina’s ink tank is sufficiently filled.

Up Tilt

A forward two-hit lunge pistol-whipping the opponent with each Splat Duallie

Dash attack

No difference in animation from Inkling’s dash but can lead to a breakdance head spin when using a dash attack.

Down Tilt

A more upward angled version of Inkling’s Down Tilt

Side Tilt
A backhanded strike with one of her Splat Duallies

Air Attacks

N-Air

An aerial windmill kick much like Inkling’s but with a wider range.

B-Air

Marina strikes an action pose while shooting the Splat Duallies behind her.

F-Air

A sideways aerial front flip

D-Air

A rolling downward kick spikes when striking the start of the move.

Up-Air
A quick duo of kicks mimic a motion of her kicking a soccer ball.

Forward Smash

Heavy Splatling

A Splatoon version of the Mii Gunner’s forward Smash.

Up Smash

Kensa Octobrush

A giant paintbrush much like Inkling’s forward Smash but it hits more upwards.

Down Smash

Bloblobber

The Bloblobber would act like the Inkling’s Down Smash except there will be lingering bubbles that explode after a short period of time.

Neutral
The Splat Dualies
The main weapon of Splatoon 2 acting as Marina’s standard weapon. I imagine it would work no differently than Inkling’s Splatteshot from Splatoon 1. It will cover the opponent in ink much as one would do in Splatoon.

Sheild + Specials
Refilling Ink
Sheild + hold the Speical move button

Splat Dualie dodge shot
Roll + hold the Special move button for a shot backward or forward, this will consume ink when used.

Side

Splat Brella

Marina brandishes her preferred weapon, the Splat Brella. This weapon can be charged to launch farther and will act as a shield blocking any hit before the umbrella is launched pushing opponents away from Marina. This will function much like Greninja’s Water Shuriken however it has a limited amount of health and can be destroyed if hit with a powerful hit or projectile.

Up

Ink-Jet

A jet pack that sends Marina upwards. The ink from this jet pack can push opponents down if they too are in the air and knock grounded opponents backward.

Down

Auto bomb

A bomb that can be thrown like Inkling's bomb but like Bowser. Jr’s Mechakoopa’s it will walk around the stage looking for an opponent before it explodes.
Pummel
Grabs the opponents and hits them with the back of her free Splat Duallie.

Down Throw
A big axe downward that pop the opponent back up at higher percents.

Back Throw
A huge spin kick, that will kill on higher presents.

Forward Throw
A 'goal kick' that's a heavy swing backward for an upsetting kick forward that kills at higher percents.

Up Throw
A head butt upward followed by a quick succession of fire from her Splat Duallies.

Marina summons Pearl and together they fire the Princess Cannon. Which acts like a bigger version of the Killer Wail that Inkling uses.

Up

Peral is summoned and the two of them perform the ‘Off the Hook’ pose

Down

Marina puts her hand on her headphone and uses her other hand to scratch a non-existing record, making a record scratching noise as she does so.

Side

Does a juggle with a Salmonid egg using her knees.

File:S2 Splatfest Official Promo Knight vs Wizard.jpg
File:Marina final fest outfit.jpg
File:Kyoto Mix Marina.png
File:Marina Octo Expansion DJ E-DA 2.png
File:Marina concept.PNG
File:Octo Expansion chat session 6 image.png
File:Marina FinalFest.jpeg
File:Marina Dancing Live 3.gif

File:Off the Hook Splatty Halloween.jpg
File:TentaLiveInMakuhari Limited Edition Slipcover flat.jpg
File:Splatoon 2 1st Anniversary.jpg
File:Weekly Famitsu 1-8-19.jpg

File:S2 Salmon Run 4.png

Octarians
Salmonids
Mr.Grizz
Evil Callie
Golden eggs
Splatoon 2 Octavio
Agent 4
Commander TARTAR
Iso Padre
C. Q. Cumber
The NILS Statue

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Screw it. Just do it. Marina deserves it. I thought Off the Hook as a sort of Ice Climbers-esque dual fighter would be the way to go, but I really just want Marina at this point, plain and simple. Pearl can show up for taunts and the final smash. Have her come out and use the Princess Cannon. (Which is exactly what the OP says, so we're on the same page.)

The Splat Dualies could work like they do in Splatoon 2. Firing range is shorter than Splattershot, but you can move or dodge roll while firing, and continue firing after the roll. Good ideas for the moveset overall!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing that could get in the way at the moment (besides the Octolings, and exactly in what way Ninty would want to promote Splatoon 3) is that Splatoon 2 isn't close to being shabbily represented, if we go by the "Loose Ends" theory.

There's plenty of spirits, and plenty of songs, when compared to how ARMS and Xenoblade 2 were initially treated. Only thing that's really missing is an iconic location from SP2.

Granted, they could still add SP3 stuff in a SP2 character pack, but still, it's worth taking into consideration.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
The only thing that could get in the way at the moment (besides the Octolings, and exactly in what way Ninty would want to promote Splatoon 3) is that Splatoon 2 isn't close to being shabbily represented, if we go by the "Loose Ends" theory.

There's plenty of spirits, and plenty of songs, when compared to how ARMS and Xenoblade 2 were initially treated. Only thing that's really missing is an iconic location from SP2.

Granted, they could still add Splatoon 3 stuff in a character pack, but still, it's worth taking into consideration.
However now the weird thing about Splatoon 2 Spirits in Smash is that there some rather big ones missing.

Octarians
Salmonids
Mr.Grizz
Evil Callie
Golden eggs
Splatoon 2 Octavio
Agent 4
Commander TARTAR
Iso Padre
C. Q. Cumber
The NILS Statue
Now in terms of music I have no idea.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
By the way, you left out the up-air and side tilt in your moveset, Pakky Pakky . And I guess the grabs too if you care about that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we don’t get OG octolings im fine with Marina

would be hilariously ironic too
Marie won Splatoon 1’s final Splatfest but Callie got her song in Smash
Pearl won Splatoon 2’s final Splatfest but Marina actually got into Smash. :4pacman:

Pakky

Smash Hero
By the way, you left out the up-air and side tilt in your moveset, Pakky Pakky . And I guess the grabs too if you care about that.
And fixed, thanks, didn't even realize I missed those, lol.
Screw it. Just do it. Marina deserves it. I thought Off the Hook as a sort of Ice Climbers-esque dual fighter would be the way to go, but I really just want Marina at this point, plain and simple. Pearl can show up for taunts and the final smash. Have her come out and use the Princess Cannon. (Which is exactly what the OP says, so we're on the same page.)

The Splat Dualies could work like they do in Splatoon 2. Firing range is shorter than Splattershot, but you can move or dodge roll while firing, and continue firing after the roll. Good ideas for the moveset overall!
Good point added this as Inkling as a shield special in Smash already so Marina could just have two.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we don’t get OG octolings im fine with Marina

would be hilariously ironic too
Marie won Splatoon 1’s final Splatfest but Callie got her song in Smash
Pearl won Splatoon 2’s final Splatfest but Marina actually got into Smash. :4pacman:
You know, normally I'm not into those silly trailer theories, but I got a general idea for how a reveal trailer would go in this case.

It'd be framed as one of the Splatfest skits, but seemingly announcing something new for Splatoon 2...right until Pearl proudly holds up a Smash invite and reads a note alongside it, saying that Marina has been invited. Marina gets flustered and caught completely off-guard by this (Wait, w-w-w-whaaaaaaaaaaat!?).

Top Bottom