• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marcina: Changes you'd like to see in 1.0.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
First of all, I apologize if this thread breaks the rules. If one of these already exists and I missed it, feel free to close this and direct me accordingly. But I haven't seen one.

Its not news that the Japanese have a very lowly opinion of Marcina in this game, placing them at the bottom of their "tier list" twice in a row, and basically stating that they only characters as bad or worse are Samus, G&W and Mii Swordfighter.

We in the states tend to disagree. Nobody places them high on the list, but most agree they aren't at the very bottom. That said, they do have some glaring weaknesses that hurt their neutral game and their approach options.

It is thus extremely likely we will see some potentially significantly Marcina buffs in the upcoming balance patch, since as far as the home market is concerned, they're the worst in the game.

What changes would you all like to see?

For me it is:

-Improve air speed from 1.2 to 1.35 so Marth gets more true combos and can actually follow-up on juggled foes.
-Reduce the knockback of d-throw and f-throw so that Marth can get set-ups out of them.
-Reduce landing lag on all aerials except Uair and Nair (which is already solid) by a few frames.
-Reduce ending lag on dash attack so Marth can feasible approach with a dash instead of a walk.
-Slightly increase damage of tipped aerials (maybe 1-2% on each. Make them a little more rewarding). Lucina gets 1% more on all aerials.
-Make Dancing Blade harder to DI out of before the finisher.
-Make Falchion very slightly longer so that Marth isn't getting outspaced by characters he shouldn't.

To keep these buffs in check:
-Reduce the potency of Counter a bit.
-Weaken the knockback scaling of S-Smash (but leave it with high base knockback so it keeps its edgeguarding abilities) so that it isn't an absurd finisher. It makes little sense that Marth has one stupidly good finisher and a series of mediocre ones. It also makes no sense that his side-smash is stronger than Ike's when tipped. Lucina's is fine as it is.

I don't think reduced ending lag on any moves other than dash attack is necessary, because then Marth will become overly dominant again and will start countering melee characters. His range should be improved slightly as a trade-off for his end lag. The improved air speed and dash attack are to grant him actual approaches and follow-ups, as are the reduced knockback throws. Marth's damage output in the air should be improved so that his ability to finish opponents in the air goes up slightly.

The weakened Counter and S-Smash are to avoid Marth getting out of hand. Those two moves are ridiculously good compared to the rest of his arsenal, so slight nerfs to those as a trade-off to buffs elsewhere seems fair.

Any ideas?

Honor

Smash Apprentice
That seems like a very solid list. I think that one of the things that really hurts Marth is the length of his sword so I agree they need to slightly elongate it. When I go back and play Project M or Melee Marth's spacing feels awesome and I cry a little inside that they ever messed with it.

That being said if you've ever read anything Nintendo themselves say about any of the SB games it's pretty clear they don't have a mind or an appreciation for the competitive side of the game. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I doubt they give a damn about the tier list or the opinions of world class players.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Warning Received
You are not being pessimistic.

You have this thing most humans lack.

I call it...intelligence.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
That seems like a very solid list. I think that one of the things that really hurts Marth is the length of his sword so I agree they need to slightly elongate it. When I go back and play Project M or Melee Marth's spacing feels awesome and I cry a little inside that they ever messed with it.

That being said if you've ever read anything Nintendo themselves say about any of the SB games it's pretty clear they don't have a mind or an appreciation for the competitive side of the game. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I doubt they give a damn about the tier list or the opinions of world class players.
Nintendo sponsored Apex. And just by the way they're carrying things out lately, it's starting to show that they actually care.

Anyway, this is a really solid list. Not much more to add here since with those buffs Marth would be extremely viable.

Last edited:

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Brawl fair would be nice... but unlikely, maybe somewhere in between
Also, nintendo sponsoring Apex does not necessarily mean Sakurai cares about the competitive scene more, I'm sure he keeps in the back of his mind that there is one, but he balances the game for all kinds of playstyles (like characters such as ike ganon being good in FFA)

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo doesn't care a bit about competitive play why would they even bother with this patch? How would any casual player even notice the differences? One or two frames here and there, a sword a milometer longer, no one would ever notice those things unless you play to win, get better and compete (even if only Online) like most of us here.

The things that frustrate me the most, as they make me feel unbalanced with Marth:
-Sword a bit longer
-Reduce the ending lag on D-air and Dash attack
-Either reduce or increase the knockback on F/D throw as they serve no purpose as they exist now.
-Change the D-air mechanics to make the spike a bit easier to land off-stage.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If I'm being completely honest, I hope that this next patch differentiates Marth and Lucina just a bit. Maybe make some of her moves a bit faster or something.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

You are being pessimistic, for sure. Everyone needs to lighten up, because the team has made more efforts with this game than they have with any previous games. Tons of content, For Glory, Omega stages, a full team of balancers, removal of unpopular mechanics (tripping, vectoring), bug fixes, balance patches, DLC characters and now sponsoring Apex. The only thing that happened in Melee was that Sakurai accidentally-but-somewhat-on-purpose made a competitive game on his first try. That has stayed unchanged for 14 years.

Everyone is so pessimistic about these things that its downright sad. Come on everyone, we have a great game here that's actually getting updated to stay fresh. I know people don't like to get their hopes up about their favorite character, but Marcina are virtually guaranteed to get at least SOME improvements, because they universally criticized for being poor as-is. The Japanese tier list may be "too competitive" for Sakurai according to all of you, but even dedicated Marth casuals can see how much worse he is in this game. No one has said "OMG Marth is soooo good in Smash 4!"

He's getting buffs. Sakurai has a good track record so far, nerfing the most dominant characters before (Yoshi, Sheik, Greninja, Rosalina) while buffing poor ones (Ganondorf, Palutena, Ike, Shulk, MK). What makes everyone so convinced that he just does what he wants? The only reason Marcina, GW, Diddy etc. were unaffected by the last patch was because most people placed them all mid-tier and saw them as balanced or average. Things have changed now.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm too pessimistic :) but I honestly am not going to get my hopes up. If they buff Marth I'll be as happy as anybody, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Maybe I'm too pessimistic :) but I honestly am not going to get my hopes up. If they buff Marth I'll be as happy as anybody, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Basically what I'm doing. I'll be perfectly content if Marth gets buffed, but I won't expect anything simply so I don't become annoyed if they don't change him. I'll still main Marth whether they buff him or not. :3

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Just less ending and landing lag on aeriels for Marcina. And a slightly longer sword for both. Spacing's hard when you have a baby sword.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Warning Received
Tbh it isn't a case of him having to be aggressive but there are some things in here I do agree with. For sure increase his air speed, it is absurd that even moving at max speed i can't do a follow-up out of a grab without a read. Also this would allow him to actually combo better(though combo potential should be given to every character depending on whether their domain is the ground or air). Anyways let me list this to give a better idea of my opinion.

-Shield breaker: Shield pushback. I can't tell you how many times i get the read on a shield and almost break it only to suffer the ending lag and then get punished for punishing. It is pretty much absurd.
-Dolphin slash: Bring the i-frames back since the new ledge mechanics make it fair for other characters to punish him but without the invicibility in smash 4 he is pretty much left vulnerable especially out of shield.
-Increase air speed: Duh, needs better combos up until he needs the reliance on set-ups for kills in which he will need harder reads.
-Dair: Make the spike hitbox bigger, this is way too absurdly hard to land even after getting the appropriate read. I always find myself just barely hitting with the middle of the blade only to horizontally push my opponent instead of sending him down into the depths.
-Increase the range of his sword.
-Same thing the first post said about dancing blade.

I feel like these are the things that would allow Marth to be balanced enough without becoming Diddy Kong in a way that it is somewhat brainless to use him.

In the case of Lucina i'd say the same applies but instead make it so that she is rewarded less for spacing and more for aggression and reads so she could basically combo harder at the cost of having very poor kill set-ups. It is already bad enough she is inferior due to the lack of a sweetspot, and considering she racks up less damage than a well spaced Marth, it would be appropriate to give her stronger combos, considering as well that she can kill earlier than a Marth who doesn't tip his smash attacks. If she were designed like that i would actually take her over Marth anyday against quicker roll savvy characters and use Marth to kill slower heavier characters more quickly and reliably. Btw no, she is not like Roy, Roy in PM also had to work with his sweetspot to get anywhere, she should just behave like the sort of character who has no reliance on it and can space herself however she wants, meaning she can play defensively well and aggressively well, becoming a mix of Roy and Marth.

Btw sorry if i sound like i'm ahead of my thoughts, if any clarification is needed, please let me know.

Tbh it isn't a case of him having to be aggressive but there are some things in here I do agree with. For sure increase his air speed, it is absurd that even moving at max speed i can't do a follow-up out of a grab without a read. Also this would allow him to actually combo better(though combo potential should be given to every character depending on whether their domain is the ground or air). Anyways let me list this to give a better idea of my opinion.

-Shield breaker: Shield pushback. I can't tell you how many times i get the read on a shield and almost break it only to suffer the ending lag and then get punished for punishing. It is pretty much absurd.
-Dolphin slash: Bring the i-frames back since the new ledge mechanics make it fair for other characters to punish him but without the invicibility in smash 4 he is pretty much left vulnerable especially out of shield.
-Increase air speed: Duh, needs better combos up until he needs the reliance on set-ups for kills in which he will need harder reads.
-Dair: Make the spike hitbox bigger, this is way too absurdly hard to land even after getting the appropriate read. I always find myself just barely hitting with the middle of the blade only to horizontally push my opponent instead of sending him down into the depths.
-Increase the range of his sword.
-Same thing the first post said about dancing blade.

I feel like these are the things that would allow Marth to be balanced enough without becoming Diddy Kong in a way that it is somewhat brainless to use him.

In the case of Lucina i'd say the same applies but instead make it so that she is rewarded less for spacing and more for aggression and reads so she could basically combo harder at the cost of having very poor kill set-ups. It is already bad enough she is inferior due to the lack of a sweetspot, and considering she racks up less damage than a well spaced Marth, it would be appropriate to give her stronger combos, considering as well that she can kill earlier than a Marth who doesn't tip his smash attacks. If she were designed like that i would actually take her over Marth anyday against quicker roll savvy characters and use Marth to kill slower heavier characters more quickly and reliably. Btw no, she is not like Roy, Roy in PM also had to work with his sweetspot to get anywhere, she should just behave like the sort of character who has no reliance on it and can space herself however she wants, meaning she can play defensively well and aggressively well, becoming a mix of Roy and Marth.

Btw sorry if i sound like i'm ahead of my thoughts, if any clarification is needed, please let me know.
Oh btw what the first post said about nerfs i completely agree, if there is anyone who should have a counter that kills well, it is Ike since he needs to play defensively. Sorry about the many edits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
oh yeah, this isnt really just a buff to marcina, but more of a complete gameplay change that would benefit them: crouching out of a dash. There isnt really CC in this game, but being able to dtilt out of a run would probably really benefit them, as well as other characters. Also, make dtilt have less end lag, it feels like ganon's dtilt has less end lag

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
One thing I don't thing people bring up enough at all in discussions about Marth is how *somewhat* garbage his frame data is in general and comparatively to him from other games and other characters in smash 4.

I mean we went from f-air *yes I know f-air is one of the most nerfed moves in this game period, I'm just using a well known example) coming out frame 4 and having possibly as little as 3 frames of lading lag to now 18 entire frames of landing lag and coming out on frame 6! While people don't consider starting on frame 4 a big deal, it can be huge thing, especially for someone as poking, footsie and spacing reliant as Marth, having a good arced disjoint that can also fill the role of a fast and generally lagless bread and butter is very very important. And the role coming out plays into this is important. As many moves in this game do indeed come out frame 5 or frame 4, and especially in the spot marth is in right now, he really needs the ability to beat those certain attacks.

Also our only frame 4 or higher move is J2, which when you think about is extremely situational and hardly useful in the neutral, is pretty bad.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It is literally impossible to give Marth good frame data without him wrecking the ever loving **** out of other characters.

I'm not saying he won't get better frame data. I'm saying it only takes a few good numbers for him to start crapping on people. Prepare for alot of hate if it happens.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Either give me brawl's dancing blade or get rid of my landing lag. I don't even mind the swords range.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Personally I would like to see a different playstyle for Marth where he is just better at pushing you away instead of being full on aggressive. It would be an interesting change and would make him more of a clear zoner. The shield pushback idea I gave as far as i know isn't really broken because you could just dodge behind the shield breaker just fine. The sword's range would literally be just to outrange and push away. Dolphin slash i-frames are a must since you could get hit out of your only good OoS option and tbh with the new ledge mechanics it doesn't make dolphin slash somewhat OP in terms of recovering. This move is also imo just absurdly important to marth's zoning arsenal. Really i feel like the only aggressive buffs should be better comboing ability but not to a 0 to death sor tof scenario since the whole point of Marth is to set up frame traps and punish mistakes of an impatient player for early kills. Also yes make his dancing blade actually properly combo on the entire cast, which it sort of does up until the very last action of dancing blade with the 4th option. Also bring back his Fair to what it used to be but give it a proper stale rate since it would be more for pushing back and improve his Dair spike to give him another option other than tipper kills. Imo I feel like this would compliment Marth more as a zoner but still give him potential to be in proper competition. Also my last post eugh I need to present my opinion when i'm not being bugged since it comes out sloppy.

As for Lucina, let me present my opinion on her better. She obviously needs different numbers to compliment her sword better. She should feel more like a mix between PM Roy and Marth, where she can be decent at aggression and defense, but isn't the best of all three. She should have a more solid comboing ability than Marth but obviously shouldn't have the potential to kill as early without going in. Due to the lack of a tipper, she would not be able to zone out her opponents as easily or punish their mistakes as hard from the same distance as Marth, weakening her defensive gameplay compared to Marth. Like PM Roy, she should be able to get in there with more solid guaranteed combos as well but not have as good aggressive options as PM Roy who due to his sweetspot has stronger aggressive followups. However this means that due to having the zoning playstyle of Marth and if she were to get a better combo game with some slight modifications to how her moves knock away opponents, at least the aggressive ones for some setups, She could essentially be her own unique character that still feels similar. Hopefully you guys understand at what i'm getting at for her. Basically she would have weaker defense but better aggression than Marth, and better defense but weaker aggression than a PM Roy. Also this compliments the fact that she has no need to space herself so her mix-ups would be rather interesting for the lack of a need to space since she could go from defense to aggression back and forth without risking as much as Marth or Roy. If anyone wants to expand upon this idea then go right ahead but we know for sure Sakurai won't consider this.

P.S. Roy is our Boy, vote for him in the Smash Poll.

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
I would really like to see less landing lag on all of his aerial, but other then that definitely a little more range on his sword. Also I would LOVE if they changed his throws so there is more potential for followups.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I think people asking for Lucina changes (that differentiate her from Marth) are just asking to become incredibly disappointed. There is no way Sakurai will change Lucina to become different than Marth when Lucina was designed to be a clone. I know the title says changes you would LIKE to see, but still, at least try to be realistic.

Only Lucina buff I can see Sakurai do is make the shield-stun .8x or something, since I doubt that Sakurai will just make it the same as Marth's tipperless attacks since he has more shield-stun on tipp(er)ed hits so I know Lucina's hit-stun being worse than Marth's is also intentional and I highly doubt Sakurai will make them the same.

I doubt Marth will get any major changes either, but at least they have a possibility of having some of these occurring. I kind of want minor changes, too. I want a Marth that isn't as good as Melee Marth but still has the feel of Melee Marth, playing with incredible finesse and requires a lot of smarts to do well. Having finesse replaced with defensive play is alright, since not fighting unless necessary fits Marth's style as well, but I'd much rather have finesse over being incredibly patient.

Oh yeah, the reason why I don't want Marth to be like Melee/Brawl isn't because I necessarily think that a slightly nerfed version of (at least Brawl) Marth would be broken. (Albeit it could be the case) It's so Sakurai leaves Marth alone so I can keep the version of either this Marth or the hypothetical psuedo-Melee Marth and just play him for the rest of Smash 4. If Marth becomes super common by being basically Brawl Marth, I can see Sakurai just constantly change Marth and that would be super annoying. This is a fighting game and I need my normality man.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I think people asking for Lucina changes are just asking to become incredibly disappointed. There is no way Sakurai will change Lucina to become different than Marth when Lucina was designed to be a clone. I know the title says changes you would LIKE to see, but still, at least try to be realistic. Only Lucina buff I can see Sakurai do is make the shield-stun .8x or something, since I doubt that Sakurai will just make it the same as Marth's tipperless attacks since he has more shield-stun on tipp(er)ed hits so I know Lucina's hit-stun being worse than Marth's is also intentional and I highly doubt Sakurai will make them the same.

I doubt Marth will get any major changes either, but at least they have a possibility of having some of these occurring. I kind of want minor changes, too. I want a Marth that isn't as good as Melee Marth but still has the feel of Melee Marth, playing with incredible finesse and requires a lot of smarts to do well. Having finesse replaced with defensive play is alright, since not fighting unless necessary fits Marth's style as well, but I'd much rather have finesse over being incredibly patient.

Oh yeah, the reason why I don't want Marth to be like Melee/Brawl isn't because I necessarily think that a slightly nerfed version of (at least Brawl) Marth would be broken. (Albeit it could be the case) It's so Sakurai leaves Marth alone so I can keep the version of either this Marth or the hypothetical psuedo-Melee Marth and just play him for the rest of Smash 4. If Marth becomes super common by being basically Brawl Marth, I can see Sakurai just constantly change Marth and that would be super annoying. This is a fighting game and I need my normality man.
Honestly I wish I could take Sakurai's position because he fails to understand the real money lies in the loyal competitive community that always comes back to play even the original smash. Honestly this is the one thing about Sakurai I hate. And if it is not even the money it is the freaking hype we generate that he fails to owe properly. I mean to be quite frank what sort of casual player after release date give or say 6 months even comes back to smash other than to have a party game for a bunch of friends? That isn't even considering all of the other options either. Also for someone who is actually good at design, he somehow always manages to fail with smash. Melee just happened to be a lucky mistake.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
^I tend to agree. As said above though Smash 4 does have an online mode specifically for competitive play (let's face it, it took Nintendo a lot of thinking outside the box to come up with 1 on 1 without items) which means that they might finally start being more pro competition. Again, I tend to be skeptical about good changes to the game by Nintendo, but there's a little hope here.

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
I agree with pretty much everything the OP posted, plus a few more things (some include overlap from other posters):

- D-Air's spike hitbox should be easier to hit
- Dolphin Slash (Up-B) should have invincibility frames at startup
- Dancing Blade's first hit (at the very least) should come out 1-2 frames faster. It has transcendent properties but I always feel like it's the wrong move if you want to put an attack out fast, which is what transcendent property skills should be used for

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I agree with pretty much everything the OP posted, plus a few more things (some include overlap from other posters):

- Dancing Blade's first hit (at the very least) should come out 1-2 frames faster. It has transcendent properties but I always feel like it's the wrong move if you want to put an attack out fast, which is what transcendent property skills should be used for
^This

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound

Couldn't agree more. These buffs would be excellent.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
If I'm being completely honest, I hope that this next patch differentiates Marth and Lucina just a bit. Maybe make some of her moves a bit faster or something.
Some ideas I had about differentiating the two would be to give Lucina properties of Melee Marth; e.g., Overhead swing for Neutral-B, and utilizing Dancing Blade for recovery instead of Shield Breaker.

Perhaps make Marth the faster swordsman (since his Falchion looks lighter than Lucina's), while Lucina benefits from better range.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
Some ideas I had about differentiating the two would be to give Lucina properties of Melee Marth; e.g., Overhead swing for Neutral-B, and utilizing Dancing Blade for recovery instead of Shield Breaker.

Perhaps make Marth the faster swordsman (since his Falchion looks lighter than Lucina's), while Lucina benefits from better range.
That's makes the most sense of any of the suggestions about how they might be different yet.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really hope all above will somehow show up.

Otherwise I'm really giving it up on Marth and moving on. Got kinda tired of him having to be played the "new way" due his nerfs (which isn't ever gonna be as exciting as the last installments).

It's like he was given a toy sword to use as some kind of punishment for being so good in previous installments.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I really hope all above will somehow show up.

Otherwise I'm really giving it up on Marth and moving on. Got kinda tired of him having to be played the new way due his nerfs (which isn't ever gonna be as exciting as the last installments)
I respect you cause of Roy and your sentence.

Also so i don't double post I want to put this.

http://www.royforsmash4.com/why-does-roy-deserve-to-return-.html My suggestion mostly comes off the trinity of blades put in this why should Roy come back website. But Buffoon has an idea there too. Also any idea where one can get a Roy banner? All I know is that if he comes back i'm instantly switching my main. It is the three pictures of Marth, Roy and Lucina for those who can't find it.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I respect you cause of Roy and your sentence.

Also so i don't double post I want to put this.

http://www.royforsmash4.com/why-does-roy-deserve-to-return-.html My suggestion mostly comes off the trinity of blades put in this why should Roy come back website. But Buffoon has an idea there too. Also any idea where one can get a Roy banner? All I know is that if he comes back i'm instantly switching my main. It is the three pictures of Marth, Roy and Lucina for those who can't find it.
You could go to this thread to ask something like that.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Improve their jab(s); most times I've bothered to use the jab, my opponents tend to punish me almost immediately after one of the hits connect. Yoshi's jab is what their should have been like, IMHO.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Improve their jab(s); most times I've bothered to use the jab, my opponents tend to punish me almost immediately after one of the hits connect. Yoshi's jab is what their should have been like, IMHO.
The jab is mostly for anti-air and to confuse your opponent. But yes I do agree it is useless outside of jab reset into forward smash which is also just as unreliable to do consistently lol. Forward tilt tends to be a better anti-air outside of jigglypuff because it is quick and has somewhat good lag. The reason why I don't include up-tilt here is because most air opponents tend to move out of the way horizontally and up tilt isn't as good for that unless you're right under them or they are trying to home in on you. The tip is also harder to land than that of f tilt which i find more consistent.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Gonna be totally honest.

If you truly believe Lucina will be different from Marth, you are setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Please, please stop living in a dream world. You will be upset when that dream doesn't become reality.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Marcina's primary tactic is zoning, and while all his attacks are disjoints, they are far too risky to spam to create a "wall" due to their high landing lag. Brickwalling is something Marcina can't really do effectively and other characters easily outclass their ability, :4villager:, :4olimar:, and:rosalina:are ones that come to mind.

I think his/her poor boxing options are well balanced but for a character with insane zoning capability, which in certain matchups, you can see that Marcina can exhibit that. (looking at :4falcon:). But in tons of matchups, the zoning is completely ineffective or the opponent can simply zone better and safer. On top of that, Marcina's early kill options are limited to gimping, or a hard read f-smash.

The buffs: Less ariel landing lag. This is necessary as his/her current aerial game can't compete with others zoners such as :4villager:, that can not only spam fairs faster but stay incredibly safe while spamming.

More hitstun on attacks. Many of Marcina's attacks just get you punished for connecting them (looking at Jab) and that's just bad in every possible way. I only say more hitstun because :4marth:/:4lucina: needs safe attacks in neutral. The current tactic is to wait for a gap in enemies defences then attack, with no reward for initiative. I wanna pressure my opponent into slipping up, not wait for them to slip up.

TL;DR Less ariel landing lag, and more hitstun.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
As far as I know I've been able to continue combos via counter just cause in some matchups people like to come back in quick and use their quickest aerial move. but it is never that useful sadly. However, I do feel more hit stun should be a thing to make it safer to move in after an aerial.On another note, I think Marth would have made better use of paralyzing counter than Ike and Ike could have used Iai counter more effectively. But idk about the landing lag, maybe just one the Fair and Nair but I really think the other moves should not have less lag at all.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
I'm pretty satisfied with smash 4 Marth. Though i do agree he needs to improvements to polish his game atm, namely making dancing blade more reliable and less lading lag on aerials.

As highly unlikely as it is I will pray to father sakurai for double sh fair.

But yeah as I said im fairly satisfied with Marth, I wouldn't be hugely dissapointed if he got no buffs at all.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
As far as I know I've been able to continue combos via counter just cause in some matchups people like to come back in quick and use their quickest aerial move. but it is never that useful sadly. However, I do feel more hit stun should be a thing to make it safer to move in after an aerial.On another note, I think Marth would have made better use of paralyzing counter than Ike and Ike could have used Iai counter more effectively. But idk about the landing lag, maybe just one the Fair and Nair but I really think the other moves should not have less lag at all.
uhhhhhhhhhh

nah, nevermind

**** it

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Gonna be totally honest.

If you truly believe Lucina will be different from Marth, you are setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Please, please stop living in a dream world. You will be upset when that dream doesn't become reality.
I'd say this more of a "If they were to differentiated the two of them," rather than "Will they differentiate the two of them?".

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I'd say this more of a "If they were to differentiated the two of them," rather than "Will they differentiate the two of them?".
Again, it does say "like", but with patch 1.06 being so soon it would be much more interesting if we focused on things that Marth (I guess Lucina in turn) get in terms of changes that are realistic and you can see Sakurai doing, rather than not. Unrealistic theories just aren't fun (imo) to discuss. :\

Anyways, the patch will be out tomorrow, let's hope that Marth gets slight buffs and that characters like Diddy don't get over-nerfed for balance sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom