• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 8, 2014] Body Bag (Pompano, Florida)

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! It's about that time for another South Florida smash tournament. There's a brand new LAN center called Versus Gaming Center opening on March 1st. Me and zerothethief are trying to host the tournament a week after on March 8th. Similar to Noob Combo, we'll be hosting Singles and Doubles for both Melee and Project: M. But this time we're going to do Singles first, then move on to doubles afterwards so the people who only want to do singles don't have to wait too long to play.

Venue Fee is $5. Singles are $10 to enter, Doubles are $10 per team ($5 per person). You MUST pay the venue fee before you register for any events. NO REFUNDS!! Once you've paid the event fee we will NOT be returning your money under any circumstance. All events are Double Elimination Brackets.

Melee Singles Rules

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland 64

Counterpick:

DK 64

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is not banned
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR Modified will be used (you can not pick the last stage you won on)
  • Coaching is only allowed between matches
  • Team attack is ON
  • Life sharing IS allowed
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.

(There's a high chance that I'll eliminate the need for the following rule by turning pause OFF. And I will go out of my way to ensure that pause is turned OFF for all doubles matches.)

Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.

How to play a set:

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
3. The players play the first match of the set
4. The winner of the preceding match bans a stage
5. Loser of the preceding match chooses a stage
6. Winner of the preceding match chooses his/her character
7. The loser of the preceding match chooses his/her character
6. Repeat steps 4-7 until the set it concluded.

Bo5 sets do NOT bans

All events will be double elimination. All regular sets will be Bo3. Semis/Finals will be Bo5.

Project: M Rules (Version 3.02 with APEX 2014 ruleset)

Starters:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Starters and:
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Wario Ware
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Skyworld

• 4 Stock 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items set to “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
  • Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick the last stage he won on in a set.
  • Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
  • For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
  • Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser. (Again, I'll make sure pause is turned OFF for all teams matches)
  • If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
  • If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
  • Buffer set to OFF.
  • Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
  • Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
  • In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.
  • No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
  • No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
  • Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament rules regarding the stage list. If players are not in semis or finals of a bracket, they cannot agree to play a Bo5 set.

SCHEDULE:
The center opens from around noon. I'll be there from 11am - noon to start setting things up. BE THERE EARLY IF YOU WANT TO PRACTICE! ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE ENTERING SINGLES SINCE SINGLES IS HAPPENING FIRST! PLEASE TRY TO ARRIVE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!

If you have not registered for a singles event by 1:30, you WILL NOT be allowed to enter a singles event at all. We also will not be allowing anyone to register another player. Every individual player must register on their own, in person. No exceptions. Arrive early so we can begin on time (2pm sharp).

As you can see there is no "5 minutes late = 1 game loss/10 minutes late puts you straight into losers bracket" type of consequence. Be registered by 1:30 or you won't be allowed to enter, period. Figure out carpools ASAP and not the day of or night before to ensure that your whole group will arrive early.

Melee/P:M Singles REGISTRATION: 11am - 1:30pm
Melee/P:M Doubles REGISTRATION: 11am - 6:30pm (The start time for doubles is tentative and will be ultimately determined by the time that Melee and P:M singles is concluded.)

2pm - 6pm...Melee/P:M Singles
6pm - 7pm...Break (Use this time for food/friendlies/money matches/rest)
7pm - Close...Melee/P:M Doubles (The veune will stay open as long as the tournament is still going on. We're still going to try and finish it as quickly and efficiently as possible, though.)

Payout:
Melee and PM Singles:

Under 16 Entrants
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%

16-32 entrants
1st Place: 55%
4th Place: 5%

32+ Entrants
1st Place: 40%
2nd Place: 20%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 10%
5th Place: 5% (Tie)

Melee and PM Doubles:

Under 8 teams
1st Place: 60%

8-32 teams
1st Place: 40%
3rd Place: 40%
4th Place : 10%

32+ teams
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 25%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 2.5%

Bring your own controller!

- Right now the LAN center's policy is that they'll only let us bring our own equipment if there's an absolute necessity for it. They have 8 20" CRTs all prepped and ready for Melee/P:M, but if the turnout is going to be anything like Noob Combo then we'll need a lot more than 8. So please don't immediately walk in with TVs and consoles. Keep them in your cars until we get the ok from the center to start setting up our own stuff up. Since there's a high chance we WILL be needing our own equipment, the following information applies.

- PLEASE bring a Gamecube or Wii if you have one. Every extra setup makes a tournament go that much smoother. For the Melee and P:M players, PLEASE try to bring a CRT television if you have the ability to transport one that isn't ridiculously heavy or cumbersome. It won't matter if we have 30 setups if no one brings TVs (Please don't bring a flat screen).

Some people are planning to have a few recording setups as well as a livestream to make this extra hype. Zerothethief and myself are NOT going to be in charge of any of the recording stuff as we will be focusing primarily on running the tournaments. That being said, if YOU have recording equipment and wish to set it up, let me know ASAP so I can make room for your equipment when I arrive to the venue. Any and all are more than welcome to record.

Hope everyone can come out to this, it should be a great event!

~Rula :falcomelee::happysheep:

Last edited:

zerothetheif

Hylia's Chosen Hero
I do want to mention one thing that I wish I wouldn't have to. Please keep an eye on your belongings at all times, neither we as TOs or the Versus Game Center are responsible for anything getting stolen. There was an incident at the last event EbAgItachi held with a cellphone getting stolen, and we don't want an repeat incidents to occur

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
Yoooooooooooooooo.
Nexus 2.0?
Well nexus at boynton mall was 2.0, but versus is a joint effort between my friend eric (who helped with ZP before it was ran into the ground) and myself (was part of nexus 1 and 2). So its going to be really nice like nexus just without a huge focus on arcade games. We will have ITG(DDR) when we open and 1 or 2 more arcade cabinets eventually.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
I'll represent Gainesville for P.M., i'll see if I can get anyone else here to go

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I do want to mention one thing that I wish I wouldn't have to. Please keep an eye on your belongings at all times, neither we as TOs or the Versus Game Center are responsible for anything getting stolen. There was an incident at the last event EbAgItachi held with a cellphone getting stolen, and we don't want an repeat incidents to occur
I'll be sure to lock my pockets this time around. Thanks.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
What's the expected turnout for this event? Anybody coming to stream?

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
What's the expected turnout for this event? Anybody coming to stream?
I'm expecting at least 50-60 for Melee alone, most of which will most likely also play PM. We won't be streaming because Rom7 will be live this weekend, so we'll have that on the projectors. We will be recording matches on multiple TVs, though.

2nLio

Smash Journeyman
Hmm....I think I'll be coming to this for PM

Would it be possible to catch a ride with anyone? I live in Doral (33172 area)

I'll throw down $$$ for gas

Last edited:

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
I'm expecting at least 50-60 for Melee alone, most of which will most likely also play PM. We won't be streaming because Rom7 will be live this weekend, so we'll have that on the projectors. We will be recording matches on multiple TVs, though.
That's great! Will PM be recorded as well?

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
Best venue I have been to. Ggs to everyone. Wish I stayed longer

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Great venue! Wish it could be closer as I don't think there's a local scene here in Naples :(

Top Bottom