• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 30, 2014] (Melee / PM) East Coast Elites March: "Super Smash Cancer" (Charlottesville, VA)

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman

&

1 - mvVEVZc.png
Present:
"Super Smash Cancer!"
A Relay For Life Smash Tournament to fight cancer!

Date:
03 / 30 / 2014 (SUNDAY)

Venue Location:

UVA - O'Hill Forum
505 Edgemont Road
Charlottesville, VA

Schedule:
11:00AM: ALL Registration Begins!

11:30AM: Casual Melee and PM Singles Registration CLOSES!

11:45AM: Casual Melee Singles Begin!

12:00pm: Casual Project M Singles begin!

1:30pm: Competitive Melee and PM Singles Registration CLOSES!

2:00pm: Competitive Melee Singles begin!

2:15pm: Competitive Project M Singles begin!

5:00pm - Wrap - up

**If time permits, a competitive Melee doubles tournament will be held with a $10 entry fee per team and the same prize split listed below!

Tournament Format:
7 or fewer entrants: Round Robin
8-19 entrants: Double Elimination Bracket
20+ entrants: Pools; Top 2-3 (depending on # of entrants) per pool move into double elimination bracket

*Pool and round robin matches are all best of 3
*Bracket matches, with the exception of Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals, are best of 3
*Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals are all Best of 5 matches.

Fees:
$10 Venue Fee (**Students who present a UVA ID are admitted FREE**)
$10 Melee Singles
$5 Project M Singles
FREE Melee Amateur Singles
FREE Project M Amateur Singles

See *IMPORTANT* below for info on how to half your venue fee

Prize:
30+ Entrants
1st place - 50% of entry fee pot
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - 10%

8-29 Entrants
1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

4-7 entrants
1st - 80%
2nd- 20%

Food Locations:
Being in the center of UVA Grouds, there are tons of food options within walking and driving distance. On grounds options include the O'hill Dining Hall, Pavilion XI (Includes many restaurant options including Chick-Fil-A), Greenberry's coffee, and more. Right off grounds on the Corner there are many restaurants including Qadoba, Starbucks, Jimmy John's, Little John's, and much more!

**IMPORTANT**
Anyone who brings a full setup will be refunded $5 of their venue AT THE END OF THE EVENT. In order to gain this refund, setups must remain for the entire duration of the tournament.
A Full set-up includes a CRT TV, Wii or Gamecube, and a Melee disc or Brawl disc with a Project M SD card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melee Ruleset (Apex 2014 Rulset) linked HERE with the following change:
*Modified DSR - Player may not return to a stage if they LAST won on it, but may return to any stage otherwise.

Project M Ruleset (APEX 2014 Ruleset) linked HERE with modification to stage picks:

Project M Stage Picking:
All stages on page 1 are legal
1. For game one, bottom row (neutral) stages are used. Players alternate banning on this row until 1 stage is reached with the # of bans equal to 1-2-2-1 respectively.
2. For game two, winner bans one of the three rows, then loser picks one of the remaining two rows.
3. Winner then bans 3 stages from this row and loser counterpicks from the remaining 4 stages.
4. For game 3 repeat steps 2 and 3.
*Modified DSR - Player may not return to a stage if they LAST won on it, but may return to any stage otherwise.

***Disclaimer***
Please do not split prize money at these tournaments and be sure to play out all sets to the fullest of your ability. Prizes are not final until the tournament has officially finished. If it comes to my attention that splitting has taken place, prize money must be forfeited to the next highest legitimately placing entrant. Repeat offenders are subject to exclusion from future ECE events.

Last edited:

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Aw snap dat Venue Change!!!!

Gotta make this one for sure!!

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Wow, did you change it Sunday for me? Awesome!!
Are any Magic tournaments held there? I'll want to tell my friends in advance.

Cruzar

Smash Rookie
Man... I was really hoping to be able to go to this one, but you dodged my spring break... Oh well, I'll just have to wait till summer I guess.

Miqi

Smash Rookie
So excited for this one. More space, closer food, amateur tournament and even more people because it's on the UVA campus. I'll see about getting some of my UVA-attending friends to come.
Oh, and I'm bringing a melee setup, if amk wants to know.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
If things go well at this one, would you consider making this the permanent venue for future ECE tournies??

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait for this! I'm not very good, but I wanna get some experience. Hope no one gives me too hard of a time!

br8k

Coolkid
Food Locations:
Being in the center of UVA Grouds, there are tons of food options within walking and driving distance. On grounds options include the O'hill Dining Hall, Pavilion XI (Includes many restaurant options including Chick-Fil-A), Greenberry's coffee, and more. Right off grounds on the Corner there are many restaurants including Qadoba, Starbucks, Jimmy John's, Little John's, and much more!
Pretty sure Pavilion XI is closed on Sundays. I happen to be right outside Pavilion XI right now, on a Sunday, so I'm kind of an authority on the matter. So no Chick Fil-A. In fact, now that I think of it Chick Fil-As everywhere close on Sunday, haha. But Pav XI's also closed on Friday and Saturday and includes sushi and burritos that also won't be available. :v

That said, Crossroads is literally right next to the venue, and that has Sbarro pizza, some burger place, aaaand a sandwichy sort of place. Sells healthy-tasting sandwichy sorts of things like "Smoked Turkey Focaccia."

Last edited:

Samston

Smash Rookie
Is there a more specific schedule? Its a bit of a drive for me so I want to be able to plan when to arrive for PM singles.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Thanks for understanding all this waiting, guys. The new venue is something we've not had to do before.

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
I have Smash 3 textures on my current build. Do I have to get rid of them for the tourney?

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
As long as they don't interfere with anything gameplay-related I have no problem. Anyone that has a problem with it may request a different setup.

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
They are wifi safe therefore they do not interfere with gameplay.

Also, count me in. I shall be there.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
They are wifi safe therefore they do not interfere with gameplay.

Also, count me in. I shall be there.
From my experience, wifi safe DOES interfere with gameplay. For example, when I played on a wifi safe setup at one tournament a few months ago, I found that I could only wavedash half the time because of the differences they have with L/R. So if there's a wifi safe setup, I'd highly discourage playing on it for tournament play.

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
From my experience, wifi safe DOES interfere with gameplay. For example, when I played on a wifi safe setup at one tournament a few months ago, I found that I could only wavedash half the time because of the differences they have with L/R. So if there's a wifi safe setup, I'd highly discourage playing on it for tournament play.
Brah, I'm talking about the textures. If they are wifi safe then they do not interfere with the gameplay. Not the wifi set itself. I know about the light press issues of wifi set, but thats not what Im taling about.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Brah, I'm talking about the textures. If they are wifi safe then they do not interfere with the gameplay. Not the wifi set itself. I know about the light press issues of wifi set, but thats not what Im taling about.
I'm pretty sure all wifi safe setups are the same regardless of textures lol. You're confusing me. @_@

Last edited:

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
Here lets say it like this. **** the wifi set. Only idiots bring those to tournies. If a texture is safe to use on wifi, then it is safe on the Full Set, meaning it will not to affect graphical/gameplay issue. You're making this even more complicated than it should. NO ONE IS USING THE WIFI SAFE SET.

That reminds me, PLEASE enforce this. We need to make sure each setup is 3.02 Full Set. last one i came to had one 3.0 setup, one 3.01, and 3 (including gimr's) wifi safe sets. I don't want any wifi johns ;)

Top Bottom