• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 21, 2015] Super Salem Smash Attack (Salem, Massachusetts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
Super Salem Smash Attack
Every 3 weeks as of March 21st, 2015
SAY Media @ The YMCA
1 Sewall St. Salem, MA

Fees:
Venue Fee | $10*

Singles | $5

Doubles | $10 per team

*Venue fee is waived if you bring a TV, Wii U, GC Adapter, and Smash Wii U

*If you bring just an adapter or everything but a tv, the venue fee is halved

Schedule

10:00am | Venue Opens

11:00am | Doubles and Singles Signups Begin

11:45am | Doubles Bracket Begins

3:00pm | Singles Bracket Begins

7:00pm | Venue Closes

Payouts

Doubles:
1st – 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Singles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd – 10%

Rules:

Singles:

-3 Stock
-8 minute time limit.
-All items off.
-Customizations and equipment off.
-No Mii Fighters.
-Double Elimination
-All matches are best 2/3 except for the winners finals, losers finals, and grand finals, which will all be best 3/5.
-No pausing.
-Gamepad is banned.

Doubles:

- Team attack turned ON.
-Stages are the same except Big Battlefield/Omega version is included
- Two bans
- 3 Stock

Stages
Neutrals:

-Final Destination*
-Battlefield
-Smashville

Counter Picks:

-Town and City
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Duck Hunt
-Lylat Cruise
-Omegas

*Omegas are treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is
banned, Omegas are banned and vice-versa

Also if both players agree on any stage, legal or not, then feel free to play on said stage.

Food and Drinks sold at the SAY Media Center:
Pizza - $2 per slice
Drinks – $1.00

If you bring a setup, please come anytime between 8:00am-9am

Stream info will be posted soon.

Link to our youtube where matches will be uploaded and the tournament playlist if you like it! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqxdL_9WlU3bKvy4Q6cvtg/playlists

Any questions? Feel free to ask below or message me personally:

Last edited:

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
I could Bring my WiiU, Smash 4, and adaptor but no tv so could I get waived for that?
Um sorry I should've made it clearer but it is implied that if you have everything but a TV then it gets halved, not waived. I just made the edit to state that clearly.

shin1223

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1865-1002-9637
Hi! I have a question.

I just want to join singles.
In that case, could I be there at around 2 pm?
Or do I have to be there at 10 am?

Conet

Smash Cadet
Hi! I have a question.

I just want to join singles.
In that case, could I be there at around 2 pm?
Or do I have to be there at 10 am?
It's all good if you get there at 2:00.

Last edited:

Conet

Smash Cadet
I'm looking forward to facing Shin, btw how many set ups do you guys currently have , estimate?
Confirmed Setups:

Full Setup:

(Adapter, Game, TV, and Wii U)

Conet
Prawn
Nova
Ryan
D-Puff
Purple Bubbles
USPY (Stream)

Semi-Full:

(Will be assigned to extra TV)

Burandin (Adapter) (YMCA TV 1)
A1R (2 Mayflash) - (YMCA TV 2)
Firebro (No Adapter) (YMCA TV WALL)

We have 9 setups as of now.
If you are contributing, please post on this thread.

Last edited:

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet
Confirmed Setups:

Full Setup:

(Adapter, Game, TV, and Wii U)

Conet
Nova
Ryan
D-Puff
Purple Bubbles
USPY (Stream)

Semi-Full:

(Will be assigned to extra TV)

Burandin (Adapter) (YMCA TV 1)
A1R (2 Mayflash) - (YMCA TV 2)
Firebro (No Adapter) (YMCA TV WALL)

We have 9 setups as of now.
If you are contributing, please post on this thread.
Can we try to be a bit more wise on "setups"? There was one or two TVs that had HD Lag on it.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
This tournament is getting much more recognized now and I love it! Thanks David for answering their questions while i was offline.

So I encourage everyone to make their best effort to come this saturday. Keep in mind that there is indeed a blizzard later Saturday afternoon so come at your own discretion (probably spelled that wrong). In the event that it gets really bad, we'll have a backup plan to ensure that at least singles will be done or something like that. We'll keep you all updated!

*EDIT* it begins snowing around 2pm.

Last edited:

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet
This tournament is getting much more recognized now and I love it! Thanks David for answering their questions while i was offline.

So I encourage everyone to make their best effort to come this saturday. Keep in mind that there is indeed a blizzard later Saturday afternoon so come at your own discretion (probably spelled that wrong). In the event that it gets really bad, we'll have a backup plan to ensure that at least singles will be done or something like that. We'll keep you all updated!

*EDIT* it begins snowing around 2pm.
Could there possibly be a system where we're running doubles and singles at the same time? May be hectic at times, but I think it could prove to save time and headaches. It'd also be cool to stream doubles and singles grand finals back to back.

Just a thought. If not, maybe we'll have to get creative with stocks again like last time.

Conet

Smash Cadet
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Smash Attack 2/13/2015

The venue will now open at 8:00 AM and signups will be at 9:00 AM.
Doubles will start at 10:00 AM
Singles will start at 1:00 PM

The event will be ending at 5:00 PM promptly.

This is because of the snowfall Salem will be receiving

Liftlok

Smash Rookie
Hey sorry this is a bit late, but I'll be bringing a console and game set up without the TV.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
Could there possibly be a system where we're running doubles and singles at the same time? May be hectic at times, but I think it could prove to save time and headaches. It'd also be cool to stream doubles and singles grand finals back to back.

Just a thought. If not, maybe we'll have to get creative with stocks again like last time.
Maybe there is a way but it's too last minute to make further changes to tomorrow's event at least. If anything we could just hold doubles finals until singles us at finals too

Last edited:

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
Well guys, hope to see you all there tomorrow! Also, i'm in need of a dubs partner. I'm a villager main. I don't suck lol. Let me know tomorrow or if you have the time, reply to this post

shin1223

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1865-1002-9637
Sorry Prawn
I can't be on time...for dabs

I'm now at north station, but commuter rail doesn't run until 9:30

I'm so sorry
You can do with someone else

Liftlok

Smash Rookie
Hey don't know if anybody will be reading this, but I'll be showing up late probably around 11 with a wiiu set up. Snow's a bit of trouble, but ill be showing up with 3 other people so are we able to take part in the singles still.

tekkie

Smash Master
Not bad for a small tournament. Call out matches instead of just telling everyone to figure it out; most people don't know everyone else entered and it definitely stalled losers bracket.

Also did you actually stream? I hosted it but didn't see it going online.

BTW not naming names but reminder to keep a degree of professionalism if you're going to be involved in running a tournament series, especially towards new people. :shiro:

edit: also Prawn got ****ed by seeding holy moly

Last edited:

Conet

Smash Cadet
Not bad for a small tournament. Call out matches instead of just telling everyone to figure it out; most people don't know everyone else entered and it definitely stalled losers bracket.

BTW not naming names but reminder to keep a degree of professionalism if you're going to be involved in running a tournament series, especially towards new people. :shiro:

First off, yes, I do deserve to be called out for getting a bit hype, I'll admit, and I'm genuinely sorry.
But back to business. We only seeded top 8. It was based on the last tournament in this series. It was made sure that the top enterants from before were put on opposite sides of the bracket. That being said, at the time of seeding, I did not know the skill level of prawn or shin. Next time, will use the results of both doubles and singles (which prawn placed notably high) to determine seeds.

Also, we did not stream unfortuneatly due to the software not being radially available on Mac. But, we did record matches that will be uploaded at a later time.

I really thank you for your feedback, because we really need it to continue improving.

Last edited:

tekkie

Smash Master
First off, yes, I do deserve to be called out for getting a bit hype, I'll admit, and I'm genuinely sorry.
But back to business. We only seeded top 8. It was based on the last tournament in this series. It was made sure that the top enterants from before were put on opposite sides of the bracket. That being said, at the time of seeding, I did not know the skill level of prawn or shin. Next time, will use the results of both doubles and singles (which prawn placed notably high) to determine seeds.

Also, we did not stream unfortuneatly due to the software not being radially available on Mac. But, we did record matches that will be uploaded at a later time.

I really thank you for your feedback, because we really need it to continue improving.
The seeding point wasn't meant to be critical, just pointing it out. It'll settle itself out over time with more results.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova

Well thanks for the feedback! We'll definitely take what you said into consideration for the next one. Hope to see you there as well.

Prawn

Smash Master

yeah, I wish I could've done better in singles. But I lost to 2 people who got top 3 so oh well

Was too tired from carrying meccs in doubles :) haha

I'll stay for friendlies next time, had to beat the snow. Ggs everyone, good job shin, your Diddy is too good

Last edited:

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet

• I think calling out matches and setups would be nice - it was hard at times asking everybody one by one where your opponent was, finally finding your opponent, and then waiting 10-15 min for an open setup. Ideally, we could get a system going where a call out happens, you know your opponent and setup, go to play and waiting for the setup to open (each setup has a match and a match "on deck" so to speak).
  • Also, I think it'd be wise to get small 5x7 index cards with the procedure of stage striking, character selection, and legal stage list. We're working to grow the smash scene here on the North Shore and getting tons of new people - which is great - but that means lots of inexperience in the room. We could help the new tournament goers (and the smash scene here in general) by teaching them the formal rules. I saw several matches in which a player technically "broke the rules" but neither player was aware of it.
  • My apologies on the stream setup - I don't own a laptop, and we banked on a laptop somebody brought being able to run the video card software. The laptop couldn't run, so we had to find a temporary solution in recording matches on the Mac. What is great is that we now have several recorded matches, but unfortunate that we weren't able to stream. I will work on a solution (where there is a will...) with that darn Mac computer. It was just really hard to do that research and troubleshooting in the middle of a tournament.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
  • I think calling out matches and setups would be nice - it was hard at times asking everybody one by one where your opponent was, finally finding your opponent, and then waiting 10-15 min for an open setup. Ideally, we could get a system going where a call out happens, you know your opponent and setup, go to play and waiting for the setup to open (each setup has a match and a match "on deck" so to speak).
  • Also, I think it'd be wise to get small 5x7 index cards with the procedure of stage striking, character selection, and legal stage list. We're working to grow the smash scene here on the North Shore and getting tons of new people - which is great - but that means lots of inexperience in the room. We could help the new tournament goers (and the smash scene here in general) by teaching them the formal rules. I saw several matches in which a player technically "broke the rules" but neither player was aware of it.
  • My apologies on the stream setup - I don't own a laptop, and we banked on a laptop somebody brought being able to run the video card software. The laptop couldn't run, so we had to find a temporary solution in recording matches on the Mac. What is great is that we now have several recorded matches, but unfortunate that we weren't able to stream. I will work on a solution (where there is a will...) with that darn Mac computer. It was just really hard to do that research and troubleshooting in the middle of a tournament.
Yeah so Marcus, i'm thinking that a week before the tournament, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, you, me, Alex, David, Derek, and Ryan meet at the Media center. A physical TO meeting for about 4 or 5 hours on a saturday. We talk about everything we need to improve, how to improve, fix previous problems, take the previously given advice, and of course, figuring out the stream. Also, afterwards we could just play smash as well, it would not be a problem if we brought a system or 2 just for friendlies after the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom