• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 1, 2014] Smash Carolina III: Revenge of the Scrubs (Melee/Project M) (Greenville, SC)

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
3398 Anderson Rd
Greenville, SC

1Up Video Games Presents:
Smash Carolina III
Revenge of the Scrubs

LIVE STREAM

http://www.twitch.tv/clockworkstudios

PRE REGISTER HERE
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gjETDNcY00WdWcmk6qFQ1O4txKXEuS2wFOo4EUWaue4/viewform

So, we're at it again! On March 1st, we're having another Melee/P:M tournament!

Venue: $5
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 Per Team
Side Events: $2

Split: 60/30/10
Smash 64 Split: 70/30
Schedule:
12pm - Signups
1pm - Melee Singles
2pm - Melee Doubles
3pm - P:M Singles
4pm - P:M Doubles
5pm - Smash 64 Singles (Wii)

Alrighty, so we need to go over some things that happened last tournament. First, be mindful of where you park. The dry cleaning place, as well as other stores, in the same plaza has designated parking that we can't park in. I believe there is additionl parking on the side of the building. Please pay attention to this so we won't be in trouble.

Second, and this is pretty serious, someone from the other stores came over and asked one of our players to move their car. The player apparently told her to "F--- Off". This is UNACCEPTABLE. This is incredibly rude and could jeopardize future use of the venue for the Smash Community. I don't know who said it, but I want that person to know they almost got future tournaments cancelled. If this happens again, I will eject whoever is responsible from the venue and they will be banned from future events. DO NOT RUN THIS FOR EVERYONE.

Melee Ruleset

Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Project M Ruleset

* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.

* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.

* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Fountain of Dreams

Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)

Distant Planet(doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Fountain of Dreams

Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)

SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Pokemon Stadium 1

Lylat Cruise

Wario Ware

Green Hill Zone

Skyloft

Skyworld
Smash 64 Ruleset
Game Settings

• Mode: STOCK
  • Stocks: 5
  • Handicap: OFF
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Stage Select: ON
  • Damage: 100%
  • Item Switch: NONE
  • All Characters Available
  • All sets are best-of-3 except for the following which are best-of-5:
    Winners Semis, Winners Finals, Losers Quarters, 5th place tiebreaker, Losers Semis, Losers Finals, and
    Grand Finals
Starter Stages

• Dream Land (First Match is always played on Dream Land)
Counter Pick Stages

• Congo Jungle, Peach’s Castle
Characters

• All characters are legal.
  • For visibility reasons, players may request that Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon
  • (Right-C) not be used if Congo Jungle is the stage. The opposing player may reset the match without
    penalty if they wish for a color change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.
Set Procedure

1. Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  2. The first match is played.
  3. The loser of the previous match selects the next match’s stage from the Starter Stage and Counter pick Stage Lists.
  4. The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  5. The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  6. The next match is played.
  7. Above four steps are repeated if necessary.
  8. Players may not counterpick to a counterpick stage they already won on that they picked themselves.
Additional Rules

• Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it.
  • Alternate or custom controllers/adapters such as a keyboard, Gamecube controller or a Hori Mini Pad are allowed. Players suspected of using turbo functions or other macros are subject to immediate disqualification from the tournament.
  • If a player pauses without prior agreement from the other opponent, the opponent has the right to gain a stock or take away the pauser’s stock from the moment of the pause and begin a rematch where both players’ percentages are reset to zero. The opponent also has the option to simply force the pauser to forfeit a stock without restarting the match.
  • Extreme stalling is disallowed. Any reported case of such will result in a warning, followed by automatic forfeit of the match as per the discretion of the TO. If there is no movement from either player, the losing player is considered to be stalling.

Last edited:

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
My scheudle is already cleared. Proto, last time we played i hadnt touched a controller in two weeks. Things will be different this time

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Alrighty, so we need to go over some things that happened last tournament. First, be mindful of where you park. The dry cleaning place, as well as other stores, in the same plaza has designated parking that we can't park in. I believe there is additionl parking on the side of the building. Please pay attention to this so we won't be in trouble.

Second, and this is pretty serious, someone from the other stores came over and asked one of our players to move their car. The player apparently told her to "F--- Off". This is UNACCEPTABLE. This is incredibly rude and could jeopardize future use of the venue for the Smash Community. I don't know who said it, but I want that person to know they almost got future tournaments cancelled. If this happens again, I will eject whoever is responsible from the venue and they will be banned from future events. DO NOT RUN THIS FOR EVERYONE.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
I hope I can make it, but I live in Swansea, and Greenville's too far to go without a friend to go with, or a lot of begging my parents.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Just confirmed I will be at this. bring the hype.
I'll be looking forward to my rematches.

@ woundedust woundedust . you got it... we need a team name this time, though... I'll be thinking.

@ ProtomanVX ProtomanVX Yo fix the date in the thread title!

At everybody else... seriously, let's be civil to the businesses around this place. Speaking from past experience with this kind of thing, we don't want them complaining about us..

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ Fenrir VII Fenrir VII , Fixed! Thanks for pointed that out!

Fenrir is right as well. If the other business owners complain, we're out of a venue, and I really like that venue.
Not sure why, but it looks like the RSVP thing still says 1/15. ah well, I think people will get the idea.

And yeah, I was actually at a tourney that got stopped in the middle because people complained. Let's keep this nice!

I forgot to mention this in the shoutouts from the previous thread, but this venue is awesome

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Just confirmed I will be at this. bring the hype.
I'll be looking forward to my rematches.

@ woundedust woundedust . you got it... we need a team name this time, though... I'll be thinking.

@ ProtomanVX ProtomanVX Yo fix the date in the thread title!

At everybody else... seriously, let's be civil to the businesses around this place. Speaking from past experience with this kind of thing, we don't want them complaining about us..
So will i. Were not settling for anything less than first this time

graymansnel

Smash Cadet

The place also REEKED of pot, I support it full haul, but seriously? Vape or some ****, don't stink up the entire place for everyone else.

Also me and Jason will be there (Most likely) could we please be team "Ass" this time? Bubbles isn't very intimidating, lol.

We are probably meeting for a warm up practice soon, PM me on SB, Steam, Email me, or Wii msg me or something if you would like to join us, I have no clue how many people can come of if we will even carry through but hell why not?

Thanks for TOing SC Proto, your awesome.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
If anyone wants to Pre-Reg, let me know your info! I'll go ahead and put you in Tio and you can pay the day of. It'll save some time.

graymansnel

Smash Cadet
The entire front of the store smelled like pot, and the outside reeked, I personally love the smell, but it is enough to get the entire store searched by a cop.

Atleast harassed and we dont want that to fall on a new business owner.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Cool. I heard they made a mod for 3.01 that labels the stages "neutral" and "counterpick", etc. That would be helpful
Seriously that was a major problem. Having to sit down and teach someone striking and banning took so long. Take two minutes out of your time to learn how to do it guys. It makes it go faster

will there be a strean set up this time?

And btw, are we running 3.02 on pm?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Seriously that was a major problem. Having to sit down and teach someone striking and banning took so long. Take two minutes out of your time to learn how to do it guys. It makes it go faster

will there be a strean set up this time?

And btw, are we running 3.02 on pm?
I guess you guys semi taught Soni and I, we just kind of guessed how it works......

Yeah, we don't remember.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm hoping there will be a stream. The guys at Smash Studios almost came last time, and I'm going to invite them this go around given how successful the last tournament was. If not, I hope to have a capture card by that time. (I kinda set up a SC Melee Twitch Account just in case)

As for the SSS, I found a version of Apex's Stage Select that doesn't have the Apex Logo, so I'm gonna post that here soon so we can have everything properly labeled.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
I guess you guys semi taught Soni and I, we just kind of guessed how it works......

Yeah, we don't remember.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
Take two minutes to learn it. Its easy
Okay, I know almost nothing about rules and stuff, I knew a bit about Brawl rules and stuff, is it the same with P:M? Could someone please explain this to me? Also, would someone please mentor me? I'm a fast learner, I just need to have someone to learn from. I main Sonic in Project M, and I don't play melee.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I know almost nothing about rules and stuff, I knew a bit about Brawl rules and stuff, is it the same with P:M? Could someone please explain this to me? Also, would someone please mentor me? I'm a fast learner, I just need to have someone to learn from. I main Sonic in Project M, and I don't play melee.
Ok. Simple for pm. Unlike brawl, you will not change ANY of the rules. They are already set up for pro play.
Bottom row of stages are your starters. Middle row is counterpicks. Top row is banned. When you start, play a game or rock paper scissors to decide who gets first strike. The player who won will strike a stage first. The strike list goes 1-2-2-1. Swapping people each time. After the game, winner will ban 3 stages from the two bottom rows. If winner is changing characters, he will change, then loser.

And if you will be at this one, i can mentor you. You will figure it out

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
Ok. Simple for pm. Unlike brawl, you will not change ANY of the rules. They are already set up for pro play.
Bottom row of stages are your starters. Middle row is counterpicks. Top row is banned. When you start, play a game or rock paper scissors to decide who gets first strike. The player who won will strike a stage first. The strike list goes 1-2-2-1. Swapping people each time. After the game, winner will ban 3 stages from the two bottom rows. If winner is changing characters, he will change, then loser.

And if you will be at this one, i can mentor you. You will figure it out
If I can get the money together, I'll be there. Thanks, man!

graymansnel

Smash Cadet
We might drop team names this go around.
NO! THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN! MY KINGDOM WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!
Yeah, I'm hoping there will be a stream. The guys at Smash Studios almost came last time, and I'm going to invite them this go around given how successful the last tournament was. If not, I hope to have a capture card by that time. (I kinda set up a SC Melee Twitch Account just in case)

As for the SSS, I found a version of Apex's Stage Select that doesn't have the Apex Logo, so I'm gonna post that here soon so we can have everything properly labeled.
I too also plan to start Twitch Streaming (Mostly Rust MC and small things with friends, and the occasional Net play match) so if everything runs through the ****ing ground feel free to say the word bro and I can lend my PC (If I can line everything up correctly.) as a stream machine, hopefully it wouldn't be too complicated.

I also plan on bringing my Wii, (Hopefully with HHD and not those ****ing disks) GCC Mote AND TV this time, so thats that, its just that we need a more organized space. Everything was too cramped and their was so much space towards the back, and also chairs, lots more chairs.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
So... I'm talkin' to meh friend about goin' right now, an' he wants to know how much the door/Venue fee is, and how you're gonna split it up for the winners. Will it be 60/30/10, 50/30/20, 70/20/10 or what?

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about that! Venue is $5, Split is 60/30/10 except Smash 64 which is 70/30.
YOUR RUNNING 64???????

I was gonna ask about bringing a smash 64 set up at the last one anyway. What if i brought original set up, 64 and all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom