• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Male and Female, who’s next?

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
So there a noticeably more male characters in smash.
Yeah there are some characters that don’t really overtly project a gender like the Pokemon (Pikachu costumes do show variety) and the inklings are mixed.
Otherwise though it’s very male.

Do you think there need to be some new costume updates or echos added in to adjust the balance?

The leak of dlc suggests more all male inclusions.

Should more be done by the developers to develop more variety with the upcoming dlc?

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it's any consolation, there is a chance that Joker and (if he gets in) Erdrick will come with female alts.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
If it's any consolation, there is a chance that Joker and (if he gets in) Erdrick will come with female alts.
I think it’s quite a good consolation tbh.
Probably not the best to only provide the female options as alternatives but I’d rather have them there than not even considered like:
Mrs Pac-Man,
Brittany (pikmin),
More Pokemon female options,
Dixie Kong
???

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably not the best to only provide the female options as alternatives but I’d rather have them there than not even considered like:
Mrs Pac-Man,
Brittany (pikmin),
Dixie Kong
???
Those were definitely missed opportunities.
But maybe they'll make up for it a bit in dlc ;p

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Mrs Pac-Man,
Brittany (pikmin),
Dixie Kong
???
Sorry but Dixie wouldn't make sense as an alt costume, in my personal opinion she should at least be like an Isabelle version of Diddy.

Ms. Pac-Man as an alt would've had been perfect though.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I mean most of the females in Nintendo have always been damsels in distress and even those archetypes now are in Smash. The only ones that come to mind that aren't are FE female characters and we have enough fighters from that series as it is.

Others are ones that have already made it in like the Koopalings, Splatoon squids, ect or are ones that just wouldn't really feel like they deserved to be in the roster. I know I will get hate for it, but Peach and Zelda while being damsels in distress are classic, recognizable, and popular characters that helped pave part of Nintendo's gaming history. Rosalina doesn't really fit that bill.

I'd say if they were to grab another female fighter solely because she is a female, I'd have to say go with Tetra. She has been around long enough, isn't a damsel in distress, and would be a good addition to the roster.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
What? Palutena is a literal god. Lucina is royalty who impersonated a legendary hero to save the world. Isabelle is a secretary. Nana is a hard working mountain climber, Samus is a ****ing bounty hunter..

Outside of a handful.. not really. Not at all 'most'.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean most of the females in Nintendo have always been damsels in distress and even those archetypes now are in Smash. The only ones that come to mind that aren't are FE female characters and we have enough fighters from that series as it is.

Others are ones that have already made it in like the Koopalings, Splatoon squids, ect or are ones that just wouldn't really feel like they deserved to be in the roster. I know I will get hate for it, but Peach and Zelda while being damsels in distress are classic, recognizable, and popular characters that helped pave part of Nintendo's gaming history. Rosalina doesn't really fit that bill.

I'd say if they were to grab another female fighter solely because she is a female, I'd have to say go with Tetra. She has been around long enough, isn't a damsel in distress, and would be a good addition to the roster.
Damage in distress::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultdaisy:
Not::ultwendy::ultcorrinf::ultinkling::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultvillagerf::ultwiifittrainer::ultisabelle::ultdarksamus::ulticeclimbers:

And not to mention none of the "damsels" were solely in helpless roles.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I know I didn't list them all. For the longest time Nintendo was stuck in the past with damsels in distress. As was mostly every other type of media and you can't deny that. That's why Peach and Zelda were always getting caught and needing rescuing or whatever. Even Daisy was the first damsel in distress. Rosalina was some sort of cosmic goddess, but even she couldn't do anything until Mario came to save the day.

And I said that Fire Emblem fighters weren't damsels in distress. Lucinia is a FE fighter. I was saying that someone like Tetra who has been around long enough (like I said) and is not a damsel in distress would be a great addition.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Yes but the females who DO fit that stereotype are vastly outnumbered by those who don't.

If anything Tetra.. sort of is? Considering what occurs in WW?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know I didn't list them all. For the longest time Nintendo was stuck in the past with damsels in distress. As was mostly every other type of media and you can't deny that. That's why Peach and Zelda were always getting caught and needing rescuing or whatever. Even Daisy was the first damsel in distress. Rosalina was some sort of cosmic goddess, but even she couldn't do anything until Mario came to save the day.

And I said that Fire Emblem fighters weren't damsels in distress. Lucinia is a FE fighter. I was saying that someone like Tetra who has been around long enough (like I said) and is not a damsel in distress would be a great addition.
But Tetra isn't around for a long time. She appeared in one game and that's it.

She's be cool but there are a lot of girls beside her that also have proactive roles.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I mean it'd be a better pick then Steve from MC or Sans from UT. Every place I see where there's a pick your character you want in Smash those two come up the most.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean it'd be a better pick then Steve from MC or Sans from UT. Every place I see where there's a pick your character you want in Smash those two come up the most.
You know you can quote other posts if you want to answer someone, right?

Anyway, I think Steve would be a better addition but I don't see how this is related to this topic. It seems you want Tetra in Smash and think putting down other characters is a good argument in favor of her, which isn't.

Let's agree on disagreeing.

D

Deleted member

Anyone can get in Smash unless Sakurai, Nintendo or the company who owns their respective characters claims the opposite.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
A lot of Smash fans are REALLY disconnected from the franchises that characters such as Steve and Sans come from because a lot of Smash players have lived in a Nintendo bubble for a good chunk of their gaming lives, that's my theory anyway.

Nintendo has always been my ONLY gaming console, I'm strictly PC outside of it and I had a LONG affair away before the Switch / during the Wii U era. So I suppose I don't have some of the same reservations about many characters.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
You know you can quote other posts if you want to answer someone, right?

Anyway, I think Steve would be a better addition but I don't see how this is related to this topic. It seems you want Tetra in Smash and think putting down other characters is a good argument in favor of her, which isn't.

Let's agree on disagreeing.
Sorry, I do think Tetra would be a cool addition, but I'll shut up about that.

I think any other female in Nintendo would be a cool addition to like Dixie Kong. Even a female fighter from Fire Emblem would be cool, even if I think we have a tad bit too much representation with that series. Perhaps a female archer. I haven't played too much FE games. I tried the first one that came overseas that was simply titled Fire Emblem. So Lyn would be another good representation for the actual series that started the game everywhere else. But I'd have mixed feelings because she would be another sword user from the same series and there seems to be a lot of sword users from that game. Yeah the game primarily uses swords, so there's that to.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Dixie had a chance at being in at one point due to some Diddy / Dixie team mechanic similar to IC's I think back in Brawl.. unsure of what came of that.

D

Deleted member

I hope a lot that Coco Bandicoot gets in Smash at least as Crash’s Alph.

She is my favourite character from the Crash series.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
If Crash makes it in, Coco could easily be an alt skin akin to something like Alph on Olimar or the BJ skins. WILL IT, though, if Crash makes it in..? Idk.

Sometimes alts are skins, sometimes they're full characters.. so I can't pretend to guess with any sort of accuracy.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
The primary question is would Nintendo do that, or make her a near-identical echo for no reason like say Daisy?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The primary question is would Nintendo do that, or make her a near-identical echo for nor reason like say Daisy?
Personal thought:
I would find it better if she was an echo fighter.

But I don’t think it will happen that way in Ultimate.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I never knew about Dixie and Diddy being similiar to Ice Climbers, that is pretty cool. There's always a chance that Crash could get in, if Joker from Persona is getting representation.

I played the Switch version and Coco pretty much represents Crash's moveset. So I can't see why they couldn't do the same for the Smash addition if they were to ever come.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I'm unsure if it would've worked like IC's, or if it would've been a tag team who swaps in and out through the fight.. but I DO know a team of those two was planned at some point, and it ended up being scrapped for just Diddy due to issues. The only part I'm unsure of is would they have worked more akin to IC's or more akin to PT?

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The simple fact of it is that there are far more iconic male video game characters than female ones. Chalk that up to whatever or whoever you want to. While I like that we have characters with both options in the game, I think it's a bad idea for the devs to go too far out of their way for something like this.

If Crash made it in, it would be cool to see Coco, but I don't expect it to happen. There's no precedent for completely different male/female characters sharing a character slot. The ones we have are just different versions of the same character, a player avatar.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I could definitely see them working more like PT and paying homage to how they would slap hands to switch up. Also, what Xelrog said is true. And sort of what I meant with my post, but I probably forgot to add it lol.

Like if Captain Falcon were to have a rep they could add Jodie was it? But I honestly don't know if she is really well known or a main in the game as opposed to the Samurai dude. I'm kind of drawing up a blank as far as female Nintendo characters goes that haven't already been included and are well known or have some sort of relevancy. Of course, they also added Wii Fit trainer and I didn't even know she was a thing. There probably are a lot of well known females that I'm not thinking about at the moment. If you branch out of Nintendo, then there's obviously a lot more to work with.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I could definitely see them working more like PT and paying homage to how they would slap hands to switch up. Also, what Xelrog said is true. And sort of what I meant with my post, but I probably forgot to add it lol.

Like if Captain Falcon were to have a rep they could add Jodie was it? But I honestly don't know if she is really well known or a main in the game as opposed to the Samurai dude. I'm kind of drawing up a blank as far as female Nintendo characters goes that haven't already been included and are well known or have some sort of relevancy. Of course, they also added Wii Fit trainer and I didn't even know she was a thing.
There are still a lot of choices left.

Since you're adamant on not having more Fire Emblem characters, I can list Lip, Midna, Ribbon Girl, Dixie Kong, Pyra and Pauline from the top of my head.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
If we got anymore F-Zero characters.. man I'd want it to be Black Shadow. Roided out Batman for the win.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
There are still a lot of choices left.

Since you're adamant on not having more Fire Emblem characters, I can list Lip, Midna, Ribbon Girl, Dixie Kong, Pyra and Pauline from the top of my head.
I'm not adamant about having more Fire Emblem fighters. I really don't care. I do think there's a lot of them in the roster already, but if another or more get in then that is that. If it were another type besides swords that'd be cool to. But I'm not the developers so whatever they dish out I will just accept.

And dang I can't believe I forgot about Midna lol. Thanks for mentioning that one. She'd do well alone or with Wolf Link. I could see both movesets working fairly well. I also forgot about Arms. I was sure they were going to get a place in the roster. Kind of surprised they didn't and that I forgot about the game.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I just want them to add Hector already so we can have an axe character in Smash, then add Waddle Dee so we can have a spear character.

Guess I spoiled two of my DLC picks. I love Castlevania and I love Simon / Richter.. but in no logical world should vampire slaying holy whips have become a weapon type before basic things such as an axe or spear/lance.

Off-topic, but I think it would've been cool if S/R could start with the 'meh' rope/leather Vampire Killer and slowly upgrade it via damage or one of their special moves like some of the older CV games handled Vampire Killer.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
1st Parties:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Elma
Octoling (Echo) (Playable in both genders)
Ribbon Girl
Twintelle
Medusa (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)
Lip

3rd Parties:
Shantae
Chun-Li
Terra Branford
Lara Croft
Jeanne (Echo)
Ms. Pac-Man (Echo)
Roll (Echo)
Morrigan

Erdrick, Steve, and Monster Hunter would probably be playable in both genders if they got in. Joker might even have a female costume as well.
If an ARMS fighter makes it in like Spring Man, he would probably have a Ribbon Girl echo.
Same with Captain Toad, he would probably have Toadette as an Echo.
All the Pikmin protagonists can be costumes of each other, Brittany, Charlie, Louie, and the President.
Rex would have Pyrrha and Mythra as playable alongside him.
Obviously Banjo would have Kazooie as part of his moveset.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
An Advance Wars representation like Andy/Sami would be cool. You could make them echoes of each other and everyone would be happy cause the two Orange Star reps would get in. Pretty sure they're the two more popular ones and Max isn't. I think his name is Max. The big buff dude that looks like he'd rather pet woodland critters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Being a "damsel in distress" shouldn't and has never stopped a female from getting into Smash.

Besides, there are plenty of badass females in Nintendo already. I'd say we're fine.

If anything it's hilarious how Princess Peach, one of the most iconic helpless females in gaming, is considered god tier and OP in this game and is currently dominating the meta alongside Daisy, some yellow mice and space furries.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
An Advance Wars representation like Andy/Sami would be cool. You could make them echoes of each other and everyone would be happy cause the two Orange Star reps would get in. Pretty sure they're the two more popular ones and Max isn't. I think his name is Max. The big buff dude that looks like he'd rather pet woodland critters.
I think they should work as a Pokemon Trainer type trio, honestly.

Uffe

Smash Hero
There's 26 female characters in Ultimate.

Samus
Dark Samus
Pikachu♀
Jigglypuff
Peach
Daisy
Ice Climbers (Nana)
Sheik
Zelda
Pichu♀
Lucina
Zero Suit Samus
Pokémon Trainer♀
Villager♀
Wii Fit Trainer♀
Rosalina & Luma
Mii Brawler
Mii Swordfighter
Mii Gunner
Palutena
Robin♀
Wendy
Corrin♀
Bayonetta
Inkling♀
Isabelle

We most likely have more male characters for reasons. The two I can think of is that at an earlier time, games on the Nintendo were directed towards a male audience. When it comes to competitiveness, males are usually the majority.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
While I agree that there should be more of an effort when it comes to alternative costumes, I wouldn't say it's for the same reasons. I'd like it if Olimar got alternative costumes for Louie, President, Charlie, and Brittany not because it'd mean we'd get a new female rep in the form of Brittany, but just having all those characters to chose from would be pretty cool. I'd like a Ms. Pac-man alt (echo would just be a waste IMO) not because she's a lady, but because it'd actually give Pac-man some not bare bones alt colors.
The devs shouldn't restrict themselves to fixing an arbitrary gender imbalance with costumes or characters and should rather just focus on adding more interesting characters in general. One can argue that by adding more female characters we'd see more diverse personalities but that isn't necessarily true, no personality type is owned solely by a single gender. Since it was mentioned earlier I'll use Tetra as an example. Tetra's got a cocky attitude and a general calm demeanor. She loves to tease, exudes confidence, and commands the respect of her crew. None of what I said is predicated on the fact that she's female, that personality can easily be attached to a male character and nothing would have to change (her role in WW however obviously would, but that's not what I'm referring to here). The opposite is true for many male characters is well since most of the time the character's gender isn't really an important factor of the character and was simply just picked for likely advertising reasons, or just because that's just how the character was envisioned. Basically, being a female character in Smash vs a male one doesn't really change much if at all, since moveset creativity is based more the game the character comes from than the personality they have for the most part, with personality only taking center stage when there's little source material in the game for the character to take after.
As well as this I just wanted to mention another potential defense to the OP's position, in that the idea that adding more female characters would attract more female players in general, diversifying the community and expanding the appeal to attract a wider audience. The main issue with this is that it assumes that women and girls will be more predisposed to a game that includes more women and girls when in reality we find that it has way more to do with the kind of game itself. Fighting games like Smash, at least in the competitive sense, are largely male-dominated due to the premise of beating the heck out of your opponent to attain victory, and thus no matter how much accommodation is made to include more female players without of course changing the game in it's entirety, you'll only attract so many players before the costs largely outweigh the gains.
Alongside this just like men, women are more likely to be interested in a character based on their personality first as opposed to sharing the same gender. From my personal experiences (so take that as you will) I've found that the girls I know rarely if ever pick female characters for their mains. Two of the most prevalent ones I know of main Dedede and Little Mac, largely because they love the characters and in the case of Little Mac, love his struggle. The Dedede main will sometimes play Peach because she likes Peach yes but it's more to do with her more girly personality in general than the gender similarities. The only person I know who mains solely female characters is actually a dude, and his reasoning is just that he enjoys beating the crap out of people with innocent, harmless looking characters like Peach, Daisy, and Jigglypuff.
Overall, adding female characters for the sake of them being female doesn't really do much of anything and the developers should instead focus more on making unique characters instead, whether they're male or female.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I feel like Dixie's missing
A lot of people want Elma
And Midna is a personal favourite for me

But they're good characters in their own right: they don't need to be in just to balance the roster

KatKit

Smash Lord
Solid 1st party picks with opportunities to be DLC in the future one day:

Elma, Savvy Stylist, Rhythm Girl, Ayumi Tachibana, Medusa, Daemon X pilot (male/female), Mach Rider (Male/female), Dixie Kong, Astral Chain protag (male/female), Anna (Fire Emblem), Edelgard

3rd Party:

2B, Katalina (Grandblue)

Personally, I think we need more female antagonists. If there's a second season of DLC, I wouldn't mind one that mostly focused on our Smash Sisters.

Last edited:

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I really think they have missed a trick with a Pokemon echo alternative. Maybe using Cynthia? Or Misty?

I agree Tetra should’ve got a look in. You can argue that she wasn’t around for long but then consider ice climbers made it in.

Here are some females I think would be great:
Toadette
Birdo
Honey Queen ( mario kart 7 used her!)
Joanna Dark (rare partnership?)

Not suggesting they add anyone for the sake of adding them but I do think they’ve only drawn attention to the fact so few females are there throughout the series compared to males by making it ‘ultimate’.

If the dlc is as the leaks suggest, I will be sorely disappointed.

Top Bottom