• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making the Most of Training Mode (Text + Vids)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Allright, since Neo posted about his "hyperbolic time chamber," a lot of people have been saying that they didn't know how to utilize training mode correctly. If you can find the right things to do, it's extremely useful and even fun. So what I'm gonna do is just walk you through my standard training session. Here are some videos to guide you along the way, watch each portion after reading about it in it's respective section:

Vid #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9G2yhjpcc Watch in HQ if you know whats good for you.
Vid #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcPUyndlu0 (made by Steel)

Phase 1- Warm ups: (Video #2 Stuff)

Right when I start, I'll pick either FD or BF and unrust myself a bit. Just moving around the stage, I'll throw out attacks and stuff until I'm comfortable with my general timing. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes, though dedicating a lot of time to this kind of thing will work wonders, and is probably the best thing you can do. More on that later (Phase 5).

Phase 2- Teching:

I'm usually on FD for this, though many stages will work. There are three major ways that I practice teching. Each one helps for a different kind of teching and all are very helpful.

A.) Bomb-ombs - Wall Teching (Video #1 1:07-1:38)
1.) Spawn a bomb-omb near the edge of the stage.
2.) Pick it up and run off the edge.
3.) Let go of the analog, z-drop the bomb and push up on the c-stick.
4.) Tech against the side of the stage.
5.) Recover
6.) Repeat steps 1-5.
B.) Bumper - Instant Ground Teching (Video #1 1:38-2:08)
1.) Throw a bumper any where on the stage, but keep it near the ground.
2.) Jump into it.
3.) Tech
4.) Repeat
C.) Snake Cypher - Slower Ground Teching (Video #1 0:02-1:06)
1.) Make Snake the CPU opponent and set his action to "Stop."
2.) Knock him off the edge and hit him after he uses his double jump so that he has to use his cypher to recover.
3.) Dtilt at a range where you will both hit him and take a hit from the cypher.
4.) Tech, repeat 1-4.
5.) Pause and unpause quickly to restore his damage to 0% if necessary.

Phase 3- Power Shielding: (Video #1 2:08-4:11)

I do this one on Onett. It's pretty easy:

1.) Go to Onett in training mode.
2.) Put one CPU opponent on each house. (unzoom camera)
3.) Spawn a green shell between the two houses.
4.) Hit it or throw it into one, and continuously power shield it.
5.) Power shield cars as they come.

Phase 4- Timing and Spacing:

One way I do this is very basic. Pick any opponent on any stage, constantly attack and try to tip everything. You want to continuously attack both on and offstage from all different angles to really get a feel for the correct spacing.

The other way is a bit more complex, but more fun and IMO rewarding.

Green Shell Raquet Ball (Video #1 4:11-End)
1.) Pick Hyrule Temple with any CPU opponent
2.) Move all the way to the right side of the stage.
3.) Put the CPU anywhere on that slope/ramp a bit to the left of your position.
4.) Spawn a green shell
5.) Hit it into the wall (edge of the slope CPU is standing on) , and hit it with any attack you'd like as it returns to you. You want to try and tip it every time.

Start out with one move at a time until you are consistently tipping with EVERY move. Then start to mix it up and use a different move every time. I wanted to show more in the video, but it cut off and I didn't wanna re-record, sorry. But this one is my favorite and since I've been doing it for a while, I can tip it with fairs, dtilts, jabs, db1, dsmash, dair, fsmash, or anything very consistently. It is impossible to do with uair, and extremely difficult with nair.

Phase 5- General Training: (Video #2 Stuff)

This is by far the most important part and is where you should be spending the vast majority of your time when training. This is when I want to work on a specific things + general movements. It can be anything, here are some general things you might want to try:

-True Pivots
-Immediate Double jumps for landing on platforms
-DS Ledge Regrab
-Retreating Pivot Grabs
-Shield Breaker Bouncing
-Attack Strings
-Combos
-Any universal ATs

The main point of this is to get really used to all movements and attacks. You want to do it until it is basically effortless muscle memory. ATs and other things become much more useful when you can do them on command at any time. You can also use this time to do whatever you would do in the "warm-ups" section, just to get a better feel for your character. This is where I spend most of my training time, just constantly moving, attacking, and mastering how to maneuver Marth.

Let me just repeat that doing these a lot can really improve your game. They've already helped me a ton. Another thing, while those exercises shown in video #1 are extremely helpful and highly recommended, they are NOT how you should be spending the majority of your time. Phase 5 is the most important, and that is where you want to focus your efforts.

I have some other things I do, but I'll probably update with those later (or not). Be creative, think of some yourself =)

Hope you can make more out of your training now. Enjoy and feel free to post any of your own ideas or comment on mine.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Bengals, l here by announce your most likely my Marth idol even though you don't have fancy tricks like Mikehaze and other marth have looool. awesome shiznit bro.
I don't want to degrade this thread or bengals in any way but dude, what the hell are you getting from this video? lol

Bengals a lot of this stuff is useless, and it's not at ALL what neo does in training mode for hours lol. why are you dtilting snake there, and the wall teching stuff isn't that useful because your mind is more alert that you have to wall tech. it was more useful in melee because there was always certain scenarios where you would probably always have to tech if you didnt sweet spot the ledge.

i think you shouldnt waste your time on all that stuff and concentrate more on the warm ups. cept not for a few minutes, hours lol.

people want me to make a vid so ill make a short one to show what i do

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
when are you going to a tourney bro >___>

tight song
yea, i love that song

man im trying, i dont even know what to say anymore cus i keep planning, failing, and johning afterwards. it'll be extremely easy once i have a car, but that won't be till after summer if my hours stay like this (and i mean if they don't get any worse, because right now i get a lot of hours at work).

Bengals, l here by announce your most likely my Marth idol even though you don't have fancy tricks like Mikehaze and other marth have looool. awesome shiznit bro.
lmao, i shouldn't be, i havent even proved myself to be that good. glad you found this helpful

I don't want to degrade this thread or bengals in any way but dude, what the hell are you getting from this video? lol

Bengals a lot of this stuff is useless, and it's not at ALL what neo does in training mode for hours lol. why are you dtilting snake there, and the wall teching stuff isn't that useful because your mind is more alert that you have to wall tech. it was more useful in melee because there was always certain scenarios where you would probably always have to tech if you didnt sweet spot the ledge.

i think you shouldnt waste your time on all that stuff and concentrate more on the warm ups. cept not for a few minutes, hours lol.

people want me to make a vid so ill make a short one to show what i do

I spend most of my time in what I called phase 5. I basically do what I do in warm-ups along with a ton of other things that I like it try, and it helps me a lot.
This is probably Neo-esque training, and of course it's really useful. But theres no point in making a thread saying "go in training and move till you are comfortable." i do mention that this is very important, but i'm trying to present new ways to train here as well ^_^

"Phase 5" is probably Neo-esque training, and of course it's really useful. But this thread is made because there are a lot of things that people think you can't train unless you are in a match, which is false.

I know you are more alert for the teching and it isn't exactly the same as in a regular match, but just getting used to the timing helps a lot more than you think. I pretty much don't miss techs anymore, except for some of the bomb-ombish ones (fast against a wall) and even then I got a lot better at it from this. The power shielding one is pretty helpful, but not quite as good, and the green shell hitting is really nice as well. It gives you a great sense of your attack range and disjointedness. The reason I really like this one is because green shells are both a moving hitbox and hurtbox, this is PERFECT for helping to learn how disjointed your attacks are, because if you are hitting and getting hit at the same time, it means you're not abusing those disjointed hitboxes.

But yea, I think everyone knows how a standard training session works, the way you and Neo probably train, but that doesn't touch on everything, I'm trying to reach out to those untapped categories as well.

*EDIT:

Oh yea, the vid is a supplement to the thread, not the other way around. I hope people aren't just watching the vid and thinking "ok this is how i train."

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Oh yea, the vid is a supplement to the thread, not the other way around. I hope people aren't just watching the vid and thinking "ok this is how i train."
that's what im trying to get people to understand lol.

anyway people often ask me what i do in training mode and I just say "control stuff." but since that's so vague i finally made a video.

obv this isn't everything i do and i obv do it for much longer, but this is pretty much the gist of an average routine i do in training mode. platform/ledge movement, basic zoning patterns, grab releases, and at the end is stuff i jacked from emblem lord like last may which is just some basic ground zoning patterns.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGcPUyndlu0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGcPUyndlu0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Zeiro

Smash Rookie
<---doesn't train much just brawls with his buds for fun.

And that last video just made my night.

I have been killed by that stupid green shell over and over again. I hate tip training. It shows me how much I suck.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
that's what im trying to get people to understand lol.

anyway people often ask me what i do in training mode and I just say "control stuff." but since that's so vague i finally made a video.

obv this isn't everything i do and i obv do it for much longer, but this is pretty much the gist of an average routine i do in training mode. platform/ledge movement, basic zoning patterns, grab releases, and at the end is stuff i jacked from emblem lord like last may which is just some basic ground zoning patterns.
I see. That looks a LOT like my training sessions, doing those kinds of things repeatedly helps soooo much. Even though this game isn't that techincally demanding, there is always room for touching up your tech skill.

I'm gonna add that vid to the OP, lemme know if that's cool. I'll also touch it up a bit so it doesn't seem like those exercises should be the main part of one's training.

N-air to edge hog for control.... LOLLLLL

Style biter
LOL i do that myself, **** is tooo good

omg hahahhahahah

that can't be real, it's probably planned, right?

you know what, i'm adding that to the OP too >.>

*EDIT: Ok, did a pretty big edit on the OP, that should clear everything up and make for a better read =)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Teach me Sensei.

Anyways, this reminds me of a video Junk once posted of M2K's 3 minute warmup against a level 9 computer using Metaknight. He practices different approach options and such starting from a glide, etc. I'd say that in combination with what's in Steel's video and a hint of what Bengalz is doing is good.

I practice my wall techs by dropping a CPU mario below the stage and going right next to the edge. When he up+b's, I get staged spiked so I have to tech the stage wall. I'd say that's a fairly useful exercise imo since getting stage spiked isn't an uncommon occurrence and generally you have at least a hint that it's coming.

Edit: oh and Powershielding I use a controller with turbo and have a falco/samus/fox/pit repeadly do turbo b while I practice powershielding them. lol
Or if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to set it up I just spam the b button on another controller with my big toe while I powershield.

Edit 2: Found the M2K warmup vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA8kltZKlMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThsLGzteNg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zxSCX8VLU&feature=related

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
ROFL shell > Bengz. Good **** though this should hopefully improve my Marth especially that **** steel was putting out was too sexy.

Edit after about five minutes in training mode I'm convinced that Steel speed up the speed in training mode to make his marth looker sexier.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Teach me Sensei.

Anyways, this reminds me of a video Junk once posted of M2K's 3 minute warmup against a level 9 computer using Metaknight. He practices different approach options and such starting from a glide, etc. I'd say that in combination with what's in Steel's video and a hint of what Bengalz is doing is good.

^^^Exactly. Though, that's pretty much what I am doing, it's just not shown in the video lol. My training is as you said, mostly the steel type stuff with those exercises mixed in to sharpen up some of those other skills that I can't do otherwise.

I practice my wall techs by dropping a CPU mario below the stage and going right next to the edge. When he up+b's, I get staged spiked so I have to tech the stage wall. I'd say that's a fairly useful exercise imo since getting stage spiked isn't an uncommon occurrence and generally you have at least a hint that it's coming.

Edit: oh and Powershielding I use a controller with turbo and have a falco/samus/fox/pit repeadly do turbo b while I practice powershielding them. lol
Or if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to set it up I just spam the b button on another controller with my big toe while I powershield.
Commented in cyan, your training for the teching is cool :p

lmfao at using your big toe though, now thats a video i wanna see

I practice junks method constantly.
I know Et, I know.........

>.>

ROFL shell > Bengz. Good **** though this should hopefully improve my Marth especially that **** steel was putting out was too sexy.

Edit after about five minutes in training mode I'm convinced that Steel speed up the speed in training mode to make his marth looker sexier.
Thanks. And yea you'd be surprised how much faster you'll start moving after you do this for a while.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Junk's method is AMAZING! I feel improvement already! I started to do this today...then realized I have stuff I need to get done before I lock myself in with brawl.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer

haha, speed and sexiness = product of good control

Tennet

Smash Champion
Steel DOES FF everything which speeds marth up a lot, especially with buffering dashes etc...

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Video 2 stuff is going to be what you are doing for the majority of the time. However, because video 2 doesn't allow for training on things such as PSing and teching, you should be using some of the vid 1 things as well.

Also, the green shell raquet ball exercise is muy sexy.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Vid 1 is for the random situational stuff you don't need usually, but you should at least do every so often for said situations.
Vid 2 is practicing what you'll be doing most of the time.

How many times does that need to be said? Steel said it like 2 times, Bengalz made it clear like 4 times. >>

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Vid 1 is for the random situational stuff you don't need usually, but you should at least do every so often for said situations.
Vid 2 is practicing what you'll be doing most of the time.

How many times does that need to be said? Steel said it like 2 times, Bengalz made it clear like 4 times. >>
Teching and powershielding seem pretty important.

∫unk

Smash Master
How to be a Powershielding Beast:
1) Make a friend that plays Falco or Toon Link IRL.
2) Tell them to play super campy, and punish them if they don't.
3) Play someone slow and fat with terrible sh oos options (pretty much all slow and fat characters). Now Powershielding is your only reliable approach.
4) Powershield like a beast. A Powershielding Beast.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
lol thats how i learned to PS.

just play a campy TL every ****in day

except I use a char with amazing OoS options but w.e, it still worked

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Practicing DI: play against a level 9 snake with a handicap of like 90% on yourself. The CPU will ftilt you, etc. and just survive as long as possible. Wala.

Smash DI: Smart bombs. Just do it.

You can also do smash DI with the regular DI practice.

Spacing just work on against level 3 computers imo.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Practicing DI: play against a level 9 snake with a handicap of like 90% on yourself. The CPU will ftilt you, etc. and just survive as long as possible. Wala.

Smash DI: Smart bombs. Just do it.

You can also do smash DI with the regular DI practice.

Spacing just work on against level 3 computers imo.
why level 3?

@feardragon64.
i know my questions sound annoying.
i just want to make sure i understand what to do.
it's summer and i have alot of free time on my hands so i want to know how to utilise these training methods from the pros.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I got it from some total noob scrub. He didn't know what he was talking about but while he was talking I came up with this brilliant idea.

Oh, and use prox mines and DI them. (<3 junk).

Anyways, level 3 computers because:
Level 1 computers don't move very much.
Level 9 computers perfect shield everything and will react to everything you do with an inhuman reaction time(so it's like you're spacing against something inhuman).
Level 5 computers are alright, but they're pretty aggressive imo.
Level 3 computers, they move around, they throw out occasional attacks but they aren't constantly attacking you with poor spacing(just occasionally attacking you with poor spacing). They give you enough breathing room to work on picking up proper spacing.

See how I went from extremes and then go in between the extremes until I find something good? =b

Top Bottom