• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Roy Viable

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
Here is MagicScrumpy's video on making Roy viable

Original Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFig34fN1CM

I'm very happy Roy's noodle-sword was addressed in the video. Having another option against crouch canceling is great.

I agree with most of what he brought up, but I'll add my two cents while keeping in mind that I've never made a game...

I don't think it's wrong to treat Roy and Marth's relationship like Fox and Falco's. I'd argue the frame data for all of his normals and aerials should match Marth's, like with Fox and Falco's. Although I have no data to support this claim, I'm sure people can agree this wouldn't break the character. His other attributes could remain the same.

I understand Scrumpy's rational for not over buffing characters, only enough to make them viable. I haven't played viable Roy yet. He could be good enough to place in top 8 or maybe not. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

MickJaegar

Smash Rookie
We'll have to see how Roy checks out when he's done buffing the lows and nerfing the highs.
He's stated that he thinks that Samus and Falcon are the most balanced, and that he wants to bring to around their level.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
If I were to buff Roy, I personally would only buff his sweet spot attacks, fix his hitboxes so that they make sense, but most of all, I'd like to make his aerials and attacks come out faster. I feel like in comparison to Marth's moves Roy's come out slower, and imo, this doesn't make sense.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Drastically lower his lag, give him Marth's sword hitboxes without tipper, make his dair a spike but instead of a sweep it would be his single slash down like in SSB4.

Top Bottom