• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making My Own Smash Box

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
When I first saw the smash box, I thought to my self "Wow, perfect pivots and dash dancing!". So I looked it up only to find that it cost $200, which to be honest, isn't that bad, but it was way out of my budget. But being the DIY guy I am, decided to figure out how to build my own. One of the first things I came across was this. https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/5med66/how_to_make_your_own_smash_box_xpost_rssbm/
This was just what I was looking for !! I shopped for all the pieces it required and came up with a grand total of about $60 !! This price does exclude things like the box which I already have materials for and instead of those expensive high quality buttons I chose cheaper buttons. $60 is still a big bite out of my wallet, but it's affordable. Now I'm just considering whether or not it's worth spending the money on, will it really improve the way I play. I have some experience with a keyboard setup for fighting games such as Mugen and SSF2 ( I do prefer using the keyboard over Gamecube controller when playing this game but the game itself already has so many problems), but I'm not entirely sure if the smash box is anything like a keyboard. I'm still really unsure whether I want to spend the money and effort to make one, so if you have any suggestions or experience with the smash box or controllers alike please let me know!! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my thoughts of making a DIY smash box .

Last edited:

jedimeister007

Smash Cadet
I've owned a smashbox for about a week now, and have practiced quite a few hours on it. I wouldn't say comparing it to a keyboard is a bad comparison as the basics are the same, however the angle modifiers are very different. You'll basically have to relearn everything as far as muscle memory goes.

Another thing to consider is for the future. Hitbox is working on a TO-Certified build for the Smashbox client, and if they can't verify your controller in the same way, it might be disallowed. PLus if you have any problems you'll have to self diagnose everything which might be a pain.

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
Thanks for the info Jedimeister. I don't see how muscle memory would be problem since the controller is very unlike all other controllers but maybe I'm wrong. I recently came across a part from the official hit-box website saying that the controller would need things like firmware updates for adapters in order to use it on the Wii- U (and in the future the Switch). This worried me because I planned to use this mainly in Smash 4. I don't believe that the software given for the DIY controller is updated. My hope is that the difference between the Smash box and DIY Smash box is that the smash box uses some other software while the DIY box sends actual gamecube controller inputs. If somebody could confirm this for me, that would be great!!
Link to Official Hit box website: https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/smash-box

jedimeister007

Smash Cadet
I don't see how muscle memory would be problem since the controller is very unlike all other controllers
I was more refering to using keyboard controls in SSF2 (shoulda been more specific, sorry). And as far as direct inputs, I can't say as I'm not familiar with the way Arduinos work. I'd reccomend trying some places on Reddit or DMing some people so you don't waste $60

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
Alright, thanks! Do you think you have an advantage over your opponent when using the smashbox? I would think that being able to input 2 opposite analog directions would be helpful in multiple areas. I would think it would be a lot easier than using a bidou type setup.
Ill see if I can get a hold of the creator of that reddit post and ask him if it works for the Wii U at all

Last edited:

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
I'm sad that my ambitions to build a smash box have come to an end. I continued my research on the controller and how it could be used. The only thing that stuck out that separated it from all other controllers was the fact that it had no analog stick. I watched professional players play with the smash box and found that not even they exploited the true potential of the smash box. I guess perfect pivoting isn't an extremely useful technique that will improve the way I play. I'm guessing this is one of the few reasons most professional players don't play with a bidou type setup, it's just not worth relearning everything. Even though you don't have to relearn everything with the smash box, I don't think it's worth the money to buy or make one, it's just not worth the trouble. For anyone who thinks this is an April fools day joke, it's not. I really am giving up on the idea of building my own smash box. I'm sorry to anyone who was following or found this thread hoping to find information on the process of building one.

Last edited:

jedimeister007

Smash Cadet
I'm sad that my ambitions to build a smash box have come to an end. I continued my research on the controller and how it could be used. The only thing that stuck out that separated it from all other controllers was the fact that it had no analog stick. I watched professional players play with the smash box and found that not even they exploited the true potential of the smash box. I guess perfect pivoting isn't an extremely useful technique that will improve the way I play. I'm guessing this is one of the few reasons most professional players don't play with a bidou type setup, it's just not worth relearning everything. Even though you don't have to relearn everything with the smash box, I don't think it's worth the money to buy or make one, it's just not worth the trouble. For anyone who thinks this is an April fools day joke, it's not. I really am giving up on the idea of building my own smash box. I'm sorry to anyone who was following or found this thread hoping to find information on the process of building one.
Sorry to hear that. That's an understandable position especially for Smash 4 since there are already other more practical ways to do bidou and the like (I'm assuming). For melee I think it has a fair amount of benefits that are about equal to the downsides, but I don't think buying or building one with the pure intent of "improving" is a great idea. I got mine since I have weak forearms, and I've been picky and burn through controllers, but I didn't get one to spam pivot utilt and do easy shield drops.

Top Bottom