• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Multicolored Omelets - A Yoshi Tech Showoff Project

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
WPD... What n- I mean, Yoshi!?

Continuing the Project that Airborne kinda dropped since he's not on Smashboards anymore.
And with the sudden influx of Yoshi mains popping up, we might as well get a tech video up for all these new fleshlings, since most of our old stuff was taken down or lost in threads that the new players would never dig through due to being completely oblivious to it or lazy to look or ask for it in our Stickied threads.

I've been meaning to do this for a year now, but I never got around to it since it not only felt like the game was dying, we also didn't have that many Yoshi mains at first.
Butt... I feel like we can possibly get this done now, so I want to cram at the very least 90% of our Techs and Tricks. We're looking at possibly a 10 minute video, or even a two parter.
What we'll cover will be below, who will be in charge of video editing, who does the replays, Etc.
Also, since a few videos are still up, we can either take the clips from the video and add it to the new one, or just get new examples of whatever those videos have provided in them.

Video Stuph
Editing Crew:
  • Scatz

Replay Go Getter Crew:
  • Sinister Slush
  • RaptorTEC
  • MX (?)

Techs That'll Be In Video

Dragonic Reverse
  • Regular DR
  • Platform Wavelands
  • Ledge DR

B/Special Tricks
  • Double Jump Cancelling
  • Egg Toss: Wavebounces, etc.
  • Egg Lay: B-Reverse, DJC Egg lay, etc.
  • Egg Roll: Lagless Landing, Explanation of Move (Momentum Cancel, Weird Hitbox), etc.
  • Down B Ledge Cancel
  • Egglay Mechanics

Other Tiny Trinkets
  • Item Play: Bananas, DJC, Ledge, etc.
  • Stage Shenanigans: Delfino Plaza, Smashville, Yoshi's Island Brawl, etc.
  • Crawl Dash: Slopes that give you large Slide distance, very minor uses of it, etc.

Till then... discuss anything related to the Project here and if you find any, post already existing videos of techs that're put down/not in yet so we can possibly explain it in the video or just recreate it but better.
Constant Edits will be made in the future as we start getting people to do this, suggestions of what's to be covered, and putting in whatever other little tricks/techs I didn't put down.

Vox

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2267-8895-6976
Trolling! :troll: (and subbed)
Cant wait for this one to get filled out :D

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Or, User CP > Edit Options > Do Not Subscribe to "No Email Notification"

Also, I knew I was forgetting something... will edit that in after a few minutes.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont play flashy at all so I prob wont be of much help here lol.

Unless you just want some read heavy 0 deaths or something, then I have a few of those :D

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Okay, starting later today we'll get to work on this project.
Wanted to do it 4 hours ago, but Scatz and a few others was asleep already.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Like I said, list:

how you want to get the information
how you want to present it
what you want to put emphasis on

While that's going on, we can figure out all the people that will be doing specialized areas in this project.

You don't have to wait until we're in the chat to do the project. Use this to get piece by piece done or to relay the message when no one is able to talk immediately.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
More or less why I wanted to wait for everyone else.
Still not sure how I should've started the project, since I know some people would like to take X job while another would like Y.

Also, since I'm working on replay stuph I feel like I might as well change the music and textures on my wii again even if it's not needed. Just at least get that done since I'm in a working mood and if the project actually does get finished and I never touch my Wii again.. it'll still be keeping those terrible textures and music that hasn't been changed since July.

If anything, due to all our shenanigans and such.

I'd want the information on almost everything, For how to present it... I dunno.
Emphasis only on the most important things that'd actually help in a match compared to some Eggroll shenanigan.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Gonna be busy until most likely Wednesday... so gonna have some others do this while I'm gone. I'll do my part when I'm back, for now...

Things That Need Explaining in Video for newer Players:
Regular DR
Platform Wavelands
Ledge DR

Double Jump Cancelling
Egg Toss: Wavebounces etc.
Down B Ledge Cancel
Egglay Mechanics

Other Tiny Trinkets
Item Play: Bananas, DJC, Ledge, etc.

Whatever isn't in here that I pasted from the thread doesn't really need an explanation since just a 10-30 second clip showing the trick/shenanigan is all they need to know how it works. (With maybe the input controls on the top left right or whatever of the screen)

For things not in the OP, post whatever is important that needs to be added along with a video.
And I know I'm missing alot cause Yoshi is just one of those characters...

Scatz

Smash Champion
Already got ideas, for the newer players: What questions would you like answered about these techs? This'll help when making the explanations.

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
hmmm this should be interesting. hoping some naner trick videos will be on here. been searching all over for some new interesting naner tricks.. know all of the basics.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Outside of the Japanese tech video that showed Nanner tricks, there shouldn't too much new tech to show. If I had been able to do the infinite, then I'd try to record it, but it's far too hard with Yoshi's DJC mechanics.

Zone46

Smash Rookie
Already got ideas, for the newer players: What questions would you like answered about these techs? This'll help when making the explanations.

3 main questions:

1 the technical term for said tech (as in DJC/DJCC) and what it means (Double Jump Cancel/Double Jump Cancel Counter)
2 how the technical term could be used in game, at least 2 examples ( DJC could be used to counter, or parry, and it can be used to throw off opponents, examples.)
3 the input for said tech (djc depends on what you cancel with, using melee as an example, jump, double jump and in the midst of double jump use an attack whether it be nair, bair, fair, uair or dair.)

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
Outside of the Japanese tech video that showed Nanner tricks, there shouldn't too much new tech to show. If I had been able to do the infinite, then I'd try to record it, but it's far too hard with Yoshi's DJC mechanics.
hmmm okay then, I guess ill just be trying to make my own if i can lol... always trying new things. You mean infinite nanner lock? i could possibly make a video of me doing it... not in tourney or anything just like training mode lol..

D

Deleted member 189823

The two Yoshis in the opening post look adorable.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Alright, I have more free time now that finals and classes are done for me, so I should be able to work on stuff that can contribute to this thread.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We'll need to talk about all this stuph in mostly skype, we can use this thread to once we have some set in stone things done in the skype.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Now, I know it's a stupid reason. But I didn't want to attempt to get any replays until I changed the Music/textures around on my Wii since I haven't done so in a year or so.

So... I did it finally yesterday morning for 5 hours, some are better to deal with comparing from the previous stuph I had. Whenever I get some of you people in the skype group all at the same time we can possibly converse about the project and get it started before June starts.

Remembuh, I want this to be done before the end of August at most. I can't be grabbing replays of things if someone else wants to take the role for X thing instead of having to deal with Y part of the project.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Okay, I"m starting the planning phase of this project right now.

This is basically a series explaining everything about yoshi in terms of the competitive ways. We have to assume people are new to yoshi and want to learn as much as they can. Firstly, I need to find some structure so that I can plan out each part of the series (it's voice commentating). Basically, what would be a good format to follow so that the series has flow (from basic to advanced). Here's what I mean (and feel free to add more into each section):

Introduction

• Who am I
  • Why we're doing this
  • Mindset needed to play Yoshi
  • What is encased in each part of the series
  • Terminology explanation
  • End
Basics

• General Feel of Yoshi
  • Strengths & Weaknesses
  • Simple explanation of moveset
Stage Play

• Best & Worst Stages
  • Strategy for each stage (can't really be explained since it's MU based)
Advanced

• List of Techs
  • Why are techs useful?
  • Play-style explanation
Extras (TBA)

This is just a rough draft I made up. I'm looking to go into much more depth, but it all depends on how far I want to go. The series will take some time since I have to talk while the video is playing (lots of outtakes). Also, I'll be asking for footage every now and then to accommodate for the moments in the video, but really, you should be trying to help get this plan thought out so that forming the video will go a lot smoother.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Lylat is very good really,but not in every MU.

Ike for example,SV or FD is a much better choice against him.

Scatz

Smash Champion
If you're going to give a best stage, then actually debate why it's better than the others. I'll need to explain it anyways when I get to that section.

Also, we know that one stage is the best in every matchup. We're looking for Yoshi's best stage in general.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I actually have pretty incredible tech skill compared to most of the Yoshis, because it's all I was ever able to practice when I played regularly. I was figuring out DR the same week I posted the original video in what was the DR sticky, so there's really nothing I can't do tech-wise except some of the banana tricks which I never really bothered practicing.

On the same token... I'm incredibly reluctant to bother contributing to this project, since I don't really exist in the Yoshi Brawl world.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Mario Kart is the best Yoshi stage in general.

:awesome:

Scatz

Smash Champion
K, since you pubs can't actually debate on why X stage is the best in general, ya'll can get me the following:

Random Varying matches of High Level Yoshi play (preferably some that will keep them entertained while I talk).
Short clips of Yoshi doing the following
  • DJ
  • DJC
  • DR
  • B-reverse
  • Wavebouce
  • ETS
  • ELF
  • DJAD
  • DBLC (Down B Ledge Cancel) & the instant ledge snap version
  • Waveland
  • DownB gimmick on slides (someone give me an acronym for this)
  • DACUS
  • DACIT (Item Toss for those that don't know)
  • CG & GR
Any other simple things we use as acronyms feel free to list and get a clip

The other thing is getting short clips about people's setups, but I might do that personally. Anyways to help that part out, what were a few common controller setups that happened throughout the years?

After I get this stuff, then I'll have the first video up probably within 1-2 weeks. Then, I'll be working on the next section of the series.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Why Delfino is better:
Yoshi can abuse so many things about this stage and this stage gives Yoshi more safe options then he already had. All the little gimmicks in this stage with Yoshi are insane.

-Sharking with Yoshi here is broken (or just under the stage things in general). Egg throw from the ledge for pressure. You can go lower then usual for the egg throw since you can throw through the main stage platform which is also safer since yoshi is more below the ledge. Now even if you dont hit any of the eggs you better bet his shield must be a little smaller. Once you feel the time is right let go of the ledge and rise from underneath the stage with bair, or dair, or even fair or egg lay (im talking about underneath the main platfrom meaning not close to the ledge) Lets say none of that hits. Well guess what? Since Yoshi is stupidly fast in the air you can just land safely on the other side of the main platform (if they try to chase after you react accordingly with bair or reverse egg lay or air dodge) Lets say they're on the other side of the stage or high up in the smaller platforms where your eggs hardly reach them. Get off the ledge get closer and pelt them with eggs until they get frustrated and get closer. Time to get back on the ledge! REPEAT. Play really gay. The fact that our eggs are able to go through the stage allows us to throw eggs from the ledge even safer then before because we can go lower. Combine that with under the stage game and master it and you will see how annoying it is to fight Yoshi here. I'm not saying spend the entire time on the ledge you have to use it accordingly since there is a lgl. Really good players will be more patient. Yoshi's flexible recover also allows him to get to the ledge safely from one side to the other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItH7EJ7ZL (Go to 10:35 and look at the red Yoshi then go to 11:05 for another good example. Notice after 11:05 how Delta kills me with his under the stage game. 12:20 is another good example.) This video also has many examples of what I said coming from both Yoshis.

- Water. Some gimmicks with the water. My favorite one is the fact that you can lock some characters in the water with egg throw in certain transformations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItH7EJ7ZLY (go to 13:50. There is one point where Delta could have gotten out but he didnt. After that there was no way for him to get out.) The eggs got him from 34% to 69%. You ever have those moments with Yoshi where landing on the ledge or on the stage will just get you ***** given the fact you dont have your 2nd jump anymore? Well the water helps with this. If theres ever a situation where you feel going near the stage is dangerous just down b to the water. Correct me if im wrong but I think Yoshi actually gets out quicker then most characters and can swim faster. This allows him to use the water effectively to his advantage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItH7EJ7ZLY (go to 13:25) Make use of the water when you can.

-Slanted Platforms: these allow Yoshi to cancel his down b into anything. The video I linked has many examples of this. Abuse this when you can since most people dont even expect it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItH7EJ7ZLY (14:30)

-Walkoffs: There are so many walkoffs here. Obviously the walkoffs can be taken advantage of by Yoshis grab. if you can cg them walk them off to death with style ;) If you cant cg them theres always the chance where you can make a read and pivot grab behind them to throw off blast zone. Situational but its something.

-Camping areas: there are some parts in this stage where yoshi can throw eggs from below which makes for a good camping spot. You just have to make sure to be careful because remember that Yoshis egg throw has a lot of ending lag. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItH7EJ7ZLY 10:40 I didnt do it but in that transformation egg throws are more annoying than usual on the slants they provide more coverage. Where Delta is standing at 11:22 He didn't do it but thats also a good camping area. 13:10 Delta is doing it perfectly here)
Thats all for now!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Why Lylat is better:

You can safely go there against anyone, and is probably the best stage choice against the almighty MK, unlike Delfino where some characters are a bad idea to take there also due to walkoffs. The slants help with counteracting characters that can camp us out like Falco, while also not affecting our own camping game. The platforms are also low enough that we can control and abuse them easily, and the slanted egdes and tilting allow us exceptional ledge control while hindering other characters' recoveries (ALSO THE TILTING ALLOWS US TO GR > FAIR FALCO MID TILT)

Also, in comparison to Delfino, while in most Match Ups I will agree it is easily one of our best, Delfino can be used against us for the same reasons its helpful, and it can also pull of cheep kills on ourselves as well, while Lylat doesnt ever do that. For example, the Water. If we get caught in the water against, say, Diddy, he'll spike us and thats an early stock. If we get grabbed by a D3 when theres a walkoff, thats also an early stock. If we start getting sharked by MK, theres not much we can do at all. Etc. While I do agree Delfino is great for us, it can turn around on you during through one simple read or mistake, where Lylat can never punish us anywhere near as hard, while still allowing us the majority of the benefits Delfino has, and being a better stage choice against both MK and Falco, two of our hardest and most important match ups.

I would write more, but I feel like that alone should prove it's fantastic and that I dont need to go into much more detail.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
As much as I love Delfino, the community is slowly realizing that camping wins the game while also using high tier characters.
Along with the game dying... I'd say I'd rather take Falco MK Marth etc. on Lylat than deal with taking Olimar MK Falco D3 Wario or anyone else that can camp or abuse the stage shenanigans we have on delfino to Lylat instead.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Let me go into more detail...

When I mean general, this is NOT taking MUs into account. MU issues for just that, for MUs. I want the best stage for Yoshi that allows him to vary his strategy and playstyle (and still be effective). I will note that specific matchups don't particularly favor Yoshi's best stage, but they shouldn't be weighed when I'm looking for it in terms of what the stage offers to ONLY Yoshi.

Top Bottom