• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making an Impact on Smash: The Traveler from Genshin Impact for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Would you want the Traveler to join Smash?

• Total voters

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1604261471316.png

Who are these two?:
These two are Aether and Lumine, or collectively known as The Traveler, a world-hopping duo who serve as Avatar characters in Genshin Impact, a free-to-play online multiplayer Wildlike video game (As in, games that are similar to Breath of the Wild, much like Soulslikes for Demon's Souls, and Roguelikes for the Rogue game) made by miHoYo, a Chinese video game company previously known for a hack-and-slash game called Honkai Impact 3rd. Their avatar situation is much similar to the likes of the Howard siblings from Astral Chain by virtue that the sibling not chosen becomes their own character, but for this reason, I won't delve too deep.

Why should they be in Smash?:
Genshin Impact is coming to the Switch right now (It's currently on PC, Mobile, PS4 and as of this post they just announced one for PS5), and as it is, it's a major success, with it garnering 17 million downloads within the first 4 days of release. I mean, a Breath of the Wild-level game for free!? Heck yeah! And yes, while Genshin Impact is not on the Switch yet, there have been examples where a game doesn't have to be released to get a character in Smash. And yes, while Genshin has some competition with Nintendo's own Dragalia Lost, Genshin Impact I feel could represent the Wildlike in a way unique from our current Wildlike representative, Link.

How would they be unique?:
Yes, while their weapon of choice is a sword, their uniqueness would line in their Elemental Attunements. In Genshin Impact, there are 7 elements: Anemo (Wind), Geo (Earth), Electro (Lightning), Dendro (Nature), Hydro (Water), Pyro (Fire), and Cryo (Ice), which can create different Elemental Reactions based on which are used, such as Pyro and Dendro causing the damage-over-time Burning reaction, and Electro and Cryo making Superconduct, which reduces Physical defense and does AoE Cryo damage. The Traveler starts as an Anemo-attuned adventurer, but over the course of the game, can attune to other elements, with Geo and Electro currently being the alternatives and the rest coming further down the line. Having the ability to swap elements is something unseen in Smash, and there's more: what sets apart GI from BotW is the fact that you can make a party of 4 adventurers that you can swap with on the fly. A summon mechanic similar in other games like Dragon Ball FighterZ's Captain Ginyu or Duck Hunt's own Wild Gunman could work.

—————————————————————

So, everyone: do you suppose Genshin Impact's gotten popular enough for the Traveler to be in Smash? Do you suppose they need a little more time in the oven before they're considered? Sound off!

Fellow World Travelers:
SharkLord SharkLord
Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus
amageish amageish

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Throwing my name in the ring. Genshin Impact looks pretty cool, and I think I'll pick it up when it hits the Switch (I mean, I do have a laptop and a phone, but I'm not sure if my laptop can run it and my Mesozoic era iPhone 6 definitely cannot run it).

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I could see traveler as an assist trophy or a Mii costume to coincide with the Switch port of Genshin Impact.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Started playing Genshin a while ago, I'm still holding off on my judgement for now, but I think I'll have a good time with it, so I guess you can put me in the list.

I gotta say, I'm surprised that this thread somehow has less active people than the LoL one. - especially considering Genshin is confirmed for the Switch. Is this the only Genshin support thread?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Started playing Genshin a while ago, I'm still holding off on my judgement for now, but I think I'll have a good time with it, so I guess you can put me in the list.

I gotta say, I'm surprised that this thread somehow has less active people than the LoL one. - especially considering Genshin is confirmed for the Switch. Is this the only Genshin support thread?
Pretty much, yeah. I'm hoping that this thread goes somewhere in the future.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Pretty much, yeah. I'm hoping that this thread goes somewhere in the future.
Hopefully so! The whole gimmick of mixing elements for different effects could be interesting and definitely sounds like something only a Genshin character could do, too.

My only question is whether or not it would be all Traveler or if they'd get assists from party members (since they don't yet have all seven elements in-game).

amageish

Smash Master

Genshin has its first full-on crossover character from a nn-miHoYo IP confirmed. I can safely say I did not see that one happening coming.

Also, I'll sign up as support! I haven't played too much of Impact since near launch, but I am excited to get back into it in the PS5 version...

Top Bottom