• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-Emblem

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, Black Mage (who I am remaking BTW) is no longer the only 8-bit Theater character to have a moveset! Now only Red Mage and Fighter remain...

In other news, I'm looking for buttons and proofreaders. PM me if you're willing to help. I'm also willing to proofread.

Is anyone still doing Robo, Ayla, Lucca, or other CT characters? I'm doing Magus and (Re)doing Crono, but If noone is making the others then I intend to remedy that.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+2]Protoman.EXE[/size] looks like a good set for a close combat character... but, the color of the headers kind of are not really reccomended. I was wondering why specials were below the tilts and smashes until i read the side special. I like Darkrai and Magnezone a lot better than this moveset. This moveset looks, well, a bit messy with the headers i think...
He's still a good set that has had some decent though... you have already made 5 sets...

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Protoman.exe: Reminds me a bit of my Lyn set from MYM5, except actually readable. That's this set's best quality, in fact- the readability. Short, sweet, and to the point, yet not lacking any important details. Besides that, however, I find Protoman.exe completely average. Nothing bad, but nothing in there really 'wow'ed me. The attacks aren't impressive, but they aren't dull when you consider what Protoman has to work with.

Protoman's playstyle is the most intresting thing about him, being a defensive mind-gamer. Most of the attacks support this style, with a few exceptions that are acceptable as they give him a way to fight other then just mindgaming. The Match-ups look about right and as far as I can tell are properly explained.

The only complaints I have are fairly minor and personal prefrence, so take them or leave them at your convienence. The Dark Red in some parts of the set, while fitting, are slightly harsh on the eyes. I suggest replacing them with purple (ala the stripes). My other is how you note knockback as 'KOs at ###%'. Many use this, but I find it unhelpful as it says nothing of what it does when the opponent isn't at ###% or higher. I prefer a "Flinching, Very Light, Light, Below Average, Medium, Above Average, High, Very High, Obscene" scale, but that's admittedly not much better and several popular MYMers use your version anyways, so meh.

I honestly prefer Darkrai and Magnezone to Protoman.exe, but he isn't a bad entry in and of itself. Good job, and congrats on having 5 sets already.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
In other news, I'm looking for buttons and proofreaders. PM me if you're willing to help. I'm also willing to proofread.
What do you mean by 'buttons'?
And yeah I'll proofread.

Is anyone still doing Robo, Ayla, Lucca, or other CT characters? I'm doing Magus and (Re)doing Crono, but If noone is making the others then I intend to remedy that.
Answer this man. You want to. :demon:

and I thought I had plans to do Frog.... right, now I remember, I had plans, but .... switched to Will & Freedan for .... some reason.... :confused:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Buttons are little squares that some MYMers have for their characters. A lot of the regulars use some that can be found in their sig, so check the previous pages and you'll probably see what I mean.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Protoman.Exe

I would hardly call this the most creative set ever. Nearly every move is a slash of some sort and a lot of the set just felt like copy Marth or Ike's move and add on Lucario's lingering hitbox. Protoman blatantly copies counters in 2 of his moves (with a third being vaguely similar). He even carries the stereotypical dash type side special. Really, the only great thing about the set is just how much he can mindgame the foe, via the use of his Jab, side tilt, down tilt, side special, and up special. I particularly enjoyed the jab and the afforementioned tilts.

Now I also have two minor nitpicks:
1) Forward Smash changing inputs are far too complicated. What you implemented as 4 digit codes could have easily been done as single button inputs (neutral from Long Sword, Right for Wide Sword, Left for FighterSword, Up for DreamSword, and Down for Double Boom, for example.)
2) Why is Protoman using the Z-Saber? I am aware that the Z-Saber is a sword-type battlechip that is gained by linking Battle Network to Megaman Zero 3... but the Z-Saber is Zero's signature weapon. No matter how similar the two may look, ProtoMan is NOT Zero.

Overall, the set wasn't -bad-. It was certainly an honest effort and showed promise, especially for a generic sword using character. But really, Protoman.Exe could have been so much more. He wasn't -just- a sword character, despite using them almost exclusively. He's just as capable as using buster attacks and other battlechips as any other Battle Network character.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Wow, Protoman was a great set despite my hatred of BN. Well done.

/genericcomment

Smady

Smash Master
Protoman looks awesome and I have an extensive comment lined up in my catch-up [which is taking forever]. King Hippo likewise.

Smady

Smash Master
Kibble's Protoman was a massive inspiration for Raiden, and it seems Protoman.EXE has a similar colour thing going on to Raiden... Coincidence, or awesome carrying on of tradition?

Agi

Smash Lord
Hornet Man

When the flower blooms, the bees come uninvited.

Hornet Man is one of 8 Robots in Mega Man 9 developed by Dr. Wily, whose expiration dates had expired. He was originally designed to manage a Flower Park, a trait which shows up rather heavily in his Playstyle. His weapon is the Hornet Chaser, which shoots out three Hornets to chase Megaman. Well named.

His weakness in MM9 is the Magma Bazooka. In Brawl, while he only takes an additional 1.2x damage from fire effects, any Hives and Hornets will catch on fire if they're hit. This makes them take 5% a second until they collapse into a pile of ashes. Please note that if a Beehive is destroyed in this manner, it will not create any new Hornets like it usually does.​

Height: 8

Weight: 6

Power: 7

Fall Speed: 7

Jump: 3

Air Jump: 5

Speed: 6

Traction: 5

In this moveset, I use the term "Honeyfied" a lot. What exactly IS this term? Well, several of Hornet Man's attacks will cover the foe (or himself, even) in Honey. This delicious, gooey substance sticks to the foe much like a Gooey Bomb would, except that they can't pass it off. When Honeyfied, their idle stance changes to them wiping the honey off their body, and licking their fingers. Animal-like Brawlers (such as Pikachu) will instead directly lick their bodies. If left alone, they'll be able to recover 2% every second by doing so.

However, they're not the only ones with an interest in the Honey... if they are in the range of any Hives (explained in the Neutral Special), idle Hornets will flock to them, and "harvest" the Honey just like they would from a Flower Garden. (Down Special) They aren't exactly gentle about it, however... this harvesting is still treated like an attack from the Hornets. Thus, even one Hornet will be able to completely counteract the Honey's healing affect,and even throw an additional 1% into the mix. That said, however, the Hornets are sitting ducks while they gather Honey from the foe, completely vulnerable to any form of counterattack. Lastly, Hornets gathering Honey WILL drop what they're doing in response to a Neutral Air, so they're that much more controllable than Aggressive Hornets.​

Neutral Special: Beehive

Hornet Man turns to face away from the screen, and some wet, slimy sounds are heard as he lowers his head. This is chargeable just like DK's Giant Punch, meaning that you can store it as you go. Once you reach full charge, press B again and Hornet Man will vomit out a large amount of wood pulp, which smushes onto the ground and reforms into a perfect beehive, just like the ones you see all over the country these days. (If you don’t fully charge the move, the pulp doesn’t take shape, becoming a useless sticky blob on the ground.) This beehive has 50 stamina, meaning foes can attack it... but it doesn't serve as an obstacle. Also, you can shoot more pulp from this move into hives. This replenishes stamina for half the amount of the charge. (So, if you charge it all the way, 25% will be restored, etc.)

Every second, the beehive will release a single Hornet, which will hover aimlessly around. Up to 10 Hornets may be created from every hive. Each Hornet has 15 stamina, and will only attack the foe if the foe first attacks it, sticking on like a Pikmin. They will attack 3x a second, dealing 1% per hit, and will not let go until they are destroyed. All the while, any Hornet who comes out of the hive at this time will immediately chase after the opponent, until they escape the range of the nest. When they exit this area, all Hornets revert to being passive, and will return to the nest to resume their duties, if they have any. Please note that there is no limit to the number of Hornets the hive can produce, just the number of Hornets in play from the same hive.

Hornets will also chase the opponent down if they attack the nest itself. If it's destroyed, three additional hornets will pop out in addition to any that are already in play, and every Hornet from the destroyed Hive becomes aggressive. They'll chase down anything that enters their range at 1.5x their usual speed, milling around awkwardly around the broken Hive when there is no target. Yes, that includes Hornet Man himself. If you create a new Beehive within their range, they will stop being aggressive, and treat the hive like their own. Of course, they’re added to the running total of this Hive, taking away from the maximum number of Hornets.

Lastly, (yes, I promise you this is the last point), be careful about where you set these up, as Hornets from opposing hives will fight with eachother if they get within the range of a battlefield platform, completely ignoring their duties until all the involved Hornets are either dead or victorious.

Note: The hive looks like the one at the start of the move, not the one in the image. About the same size, though.
These Hornets (and any other Hornets Hornet Man makes) are affected by wind to an even greater extent than a grounded character, since, y'know, they don't have any friction. However, Hornets called to you with your Dash Attack and Neutral Air are only affected as much as Hornet Man himself is.

Additional note for Plorf: This move can be used in midair.

[0%]

Side Special: Hornet Chaser

Hornet Man's Honeycombs open up with little lag, and out of each comes a single Hornet. These Hornets will each seek a different foe (if possible), moving at the speed of Mario's run. They can't go through solid surfaces, but they have pretty good AI. Once they reach the foe, they will latch on and perform their basic, 3 hits per second attack. If there is no enemy onscreen, they will simply fly away at an upwards angle. Each of these Hornets has a mere 8 stamina, and unlike the ones formed by the Beehives, have infinite range.

Note: These Hornets can also be manipulated using your moves that require Hornets, although they will once again fly away as soon as the move is over. They cannot be called back by your Neutral Air or Dash Attack, and they won't attack other Hornets. Finally, you cannot use this move again until all the Hornets spawned by the Hornet Chaser are gone.

[3% per second x 3]

Up Special: Hornet Lifter

Hornet Man gives a quick whistle, and then pops out a pair of gossamer wings from his back, flapping them furiously. Regrettably, they prove to be far too flimsy to support his weight, and he falls towards his doom (admittedly, a bit slower)... how sad. However, if there are any non-aggressive Hornets in the area, they will swarm down to Hornet Man at double their usual speed; we're talking Falcon's dash, now. It takes the power of three Hornets to stop Hornet Man's fall, and for every additional three, he'll fly upwards at his falling speed. Regardless of the speed, this recovery lasts two seconds, and all Hornets will return to their hives at its end.

Note: Hornet Man's wings count as 1 Hornet Power, meaning that it actually only takes two Hornets to get him to stop his momentum.

[0%]

Down Special: Flower Garden

You know, Hornet Man was actually designed to manage a flower park... and those Hornets of his are just dying for something to do. When you use this move, the flaps on his chest will open, and three seeds pop out, immediately embedding themselves in the ground. Over a period of time, they will sprout, grow, and blossom, reaching full bloom in a mere ten seconds. The flowers cannot be attacked, but they have 20 stamina.

Now, any Hornets within range of these flowers will fly over to them if they aren't currently aggressive, and begin to gather nectar. Each Hornet can carry 3% worth of nectar (this takes one second, just like they had been attacking an enemy), which is subtracted from the flowers' stamina. Once they get as much nectar as they can hold, they'll fly back to the hive at half their normal speed, and drop off their nectar. This process repeats until the flowers wither away at zero stamina.

Any nectar that is dropped off at the hive will turn into Honey. You can eat Honey in the same manner that you would food... just stand next to the hive and button-mash A. You'll recover 2-3% each press, meaning that it's possible to recover 20% worth of health from every patch of flowers. Nice.
Opponents can also steal the Honey, so be warned. However, if there are any idle bees around, they'll become aggressive and begin attacking the foe, hopefully making up for any damage they may have recovered.

Note: If a Hornet is attacked while carrying nectar, it will not fight back. They also cannot be used for any other Hornet-based attacks until they drop off their load at the hive.

[0%]

Neutral A: Shears

Hornet Man pulls out a pair of garden shears from hammerspace, and will begin to clip with them as he slowly walks forwards. Each time the shears close, a hitbox causing 4% damage and small, set knockback occurs, just enough to get the opponent out of the way if they move. At all.

Yeah, it's a pretty pathetic attack. A bit of starting lag and ending lag, no KO OR damage-racking potential. You'll mainly be using this move to either remove an ill-placed Flower Garden, or to sever the rope from your FThrow.​

[4%]

Dash Attack: Relocate

Hornet Man makes a beckoning motion over his shoulder while looking backwards, calling any Hornets within the general area behind him to fly along with him as he runs. While this deals no damage to opponents in front of Hornet Man, anyone caught behind him as he continues to run will suddenly find a swarm of Hornets coming towards them, dealing 2% with flinching knockback as they pass through. Using this move when you already have Hornets following you will disband them, and they will fly towards the nearest unfilled hive, now treated like they came from that hive in the first place. If this overfills the number of Hornets per hive, they will fly back to their original Hive.​

[2% x (varies)]

Front Tilt: Honey Swab

Immediately after you input his FTilt, the honeycombs on Hornet Man's chest will begin to leak, causing Honey to spill all over his chest. No problem, however... with a bit of starting lag, Hornet Man wipes this goo off, and flicks his wrist forward, splattering it in front of him. His hand is the hitbox, here, dealing 10% with knockback that kills well into the 200%'s. There's an additional, disjointed hitbox from the honey splatter that deals 1%, and Honeyfies the opponent. This is a good spacing tool, and a quick way to cover the foe in Honey, if you're having a spot of difficulty.​

[10% + 1%]

Up Tilt: Prick

Better put that spike on his head to some use, huh? Inputting his UTilt will cause him to suddenly stand straight up, creating a hitbox the size of Marth's USmash. Foes caught in the path of the spike will stick to it, taking 6% as they do so. With a spot of lag afterwards, Hornet Man will bend down slightly, and then fling his foe forwards with set knockback the length of two Battlefield platforms.

The obvious use for this move is to throw opponents into an area where there are a lot of Hornets, as if they hit any Hornets on their way, they will turn aggressive.​

[6%]

Down Tilt: Pollinate

With very little starting lag, the flaps on Hornet Man's chest open, and release a yellowish powder, which covers an area about the size of Bowser, lingering in the air for about a second. This cloud deals 2% without any form of knockback, and also will apply a Lip's Stick effect to any foe who walks through it.
More importantly, however, this will restore stamina to any nearby Flower Gardens, even if they're withered. Use this well, and you may never have to watch another garden die.​

[2% + Lip’s Stick]

Front Smash: Stinger

Hornet Man bends over for this attack, and begins to tense up... his whole body language just screams "get out of the way". After releasing the charge, (and a bit of lag, as he steps back slightly), Hornet Man takes one step, and jabs his head forwards, the stinger extending slightly as it does so to increase the range. Fully extended, this reaches about the same distance as Marth's Neutral B, and deals 22-28% with diagonal knockback that kills somewhere around 130%. As it sounds, this is Hornet Man's ideal KO option. With its range and small starting lag (it does have some ending lag, though. Imagine Link's FSmash.) it'll be up to you to distract the opponent with some Hornets while you ready their doom.​

[22-28%]

Up Smash: Nectar Spout

Hornet Man cranes his neck upwards to look at the sky, and some churning noises are heard as you charge this Smash. When you release the charge, he will shoot a fountain of nectar from his mouth, in a straight line 1-2 Stagebuilder blocks high, depending on charge. If this hits a foe, they will take up to 6 hits dealing 2-3% damage each, with no KO ability but very high hitstun. They will also be Honeyfied.
If there isn’t a foe in the way, the Honey will splatter back onto Hornet Man, Honeyfying him. This is Hornet Man’s only way of getting Honey on himself, and it can be used as an alternative to the Down Special.

While this move has too much ending lag (around a third of a second) to be chained into itself, you'll probably be able to follow this up with an UTilt. Honey 'em up and throw them into some hungry Hornets.​

Note: Hornet Man himself does NOT get the same "Honey" effect as his foes. He cannot recover health from the honey he splatters on himself, but having a bunch of Hornets on-hand can certainly help him out.

[12-18%]

Down Smash: Hornet Cluster

Hornet Man gives a brief whistle, immediately calling any Hornets within two Battlefield Platforms to his side, much like Olimar's DSpecial. These Hornets align symmetrically, forming the points of a regular shape. (If you call 4, they'll make the points of a square, 2 will make a line, 7 makes a heptagon etc.) As you charge the move, they'll turn slowly to face Hornet Man, and begin to tense with energy. Releasing the charge will make them suddenly shoot outwards from the center, the length of Mario's head. Regardless of the amount of Hornets you have, this move will deal 14-22%, with med-high knockback in the direction of the Hornet that hit the opponent. Remember, the more Hornets you summon, the more hitboxes you'll have.

If you don't have ANY hornets with you, Hornet Man will instead perform a maneuver similar to Sheik's USmash, but with more horizontal range. This deals a pitiful 8-12% with low knockback, but at least it'll nab those opponents rolling around you.​

[14-22% or 8-12%]

Neutral Air: Sweet Scent

The Honeycombs on Hornet Man's chest open up, and out of them comes a thick, pink fog, that will cause any non-aggressive Hornets within Battlefield's length to come to him, and hover around him as he moves through the air. You're going to need them for a couple aerial moves, so it would be wise to use this move soon.

Note: You can only have a maximum of eight Hornets following you through this move.

[0%]

Front Air: Impale

Turning himself horizontal in midair, Hornet Man will then proceed to deal a quick jab with the stinger on his head, dealing 8% and moderate horizontal knockback with good priority. Expected a fancy Hornet-based attack? Too bad.​

[8%]

Back Air: Chibees

This is a pretty laggy move at startup, so watch out... Hornet Man digs in one of the honeycombs in his chest, obviously trying to find something... and after about a half-second of lag, he finds it! A more conventional-looking hornet nest, sticky with Honey. With no thought, he discards it, dropping it behind himself with no further lag. When it lands, four tiny Hornets (known as Chibees, according to Plorf) spawn. These little guys are purely aggressive, and will hunt down the nearest opponent wherever they are. These little guys only have 8 stamina each, and deal only 2% a second instead of 3%. They also will fly offscreen after 10 seconds, assuming they survive that long. Still, they're a good distraction to the real threats.​

[2% per second x 4]

Up Air: Cluster Missile

Hornet Man points upwards with his finger, a horrible, low priority hitbox that deals 6% with weak upwards knockback. If you have any Hornets around you, up to five of them will follow your finger, flying to a point about half an SB block above Hornet Man. Once there, they will be "blasted" outwards at the speed of Sonic's dash, forming a perfect shape like in the DSmash. Each Hornet deals 8% as it travels through a foe dealing flinching knockback, and keeps flying until it goes offscreen, never to be heard from again. Oh, and the first part of the UAir links into this. Have fun, but don't kill all your Hornets racking up the foe's damage with this move. You have plenty of other options to do that.
Finally, don’t expect to hit with every Hornet, even if you pull this off perfectly. The absolute maximum number of Hornets that’ll hit any given foe is 3.​

[6% + 8% x (0-3)]

Down Air: Suicide Bomber

Hornet Man waves his hand below him in an arc, a weak, low-priority hitbox like that of his UAir. This deals 7% damage with weak upwards knockback. However, (you saw this coming, didn't you?) any Hornets following Hornet Man at the time will fly straight downwards, their stingers extended. These bees move steadily downwards at Mario's fall speed, and their stingers are hitboxes that will steadily drag the foe down while doing multiple hits of 2%. It's pretty easy to DI out of, though.​

[7% + 2% x (varies)]

Grab: Hornet Pull

Hornet Man reaches out, and attempts to grab opponents with pitiful range, and a bit of lag. Good luck landing it.

However, if there are any Hornets currently attacking the foe, they'll begin dragging them towards Hornet Man at the same rate as his Up Special. Opponents will be unable to resist their pull, but can charge up a smash as they slide towards you. Be wary.

If a foe breaks your grab, you have pretty hefty ending lag to deal with afterwards. Not enough to let them Smash you away, but just enough to prevent a Chaingrab from his UThrow.​

Pummel: Slather

Hornet Man reaches into one the Honeycombs on his chest, and grabs some honey out of it. He then slaps the opponent with it, covering them in Honey while dealing 3%. Needless to say, this is a slow Pummel, but as it leaves the foe Honeyfied afterwards, it's well worth taking some time to use, especially if you follow up with a Front or Down Throw.​

[3%]

Front Throw: Tether

Hornet Man sneaks in one more Pummel before throwing the opponent forwards, underhand. This pitiful gesture deals only 6% with low knockback, and it has no ability to KO... you know why? Hornet Man, with that last slap of Honey, just attached himself to the opponent. The length of this sticky, gooey rope is one Battlefield platform, plus an additional half platform for each Pummel you pulled off beforehand. Hornet Man serves as a perfect anchor, not budging an inch against their attempts to escape. He can also pull them around with ease, harshly limiting their territory. Pull them into a Hornet-infested area and watch their damage climb up, especially since they're covered in Honey. The rope can be destroyed after taking 20%, but it's still a good way to distract the opponent as they're swarmed by Hornets.​

[6%]

Back Throw: Poison Sting

In one smooth motion, Hornet Man flips the opponent so that they're on their back... on top of the stinger on his head. This deals 4%. Then, just like his UTilt, Hornet Man flings them backwards for an additional 5%. Just as they're about to leave, his stinger flashes purple... and the opponent takes on a greenish tinge. They've been poisoned! Every second for 5 seconds, they'll take another 1%, bringing the total up to 14% damage from one throw.​

[9% + 1% x 5]

Up Throw: Hornet Lifter

After giving a quick whistle to call any Hornets within a radius of one Battlefield Platform, Hornet Man... releases the opponent? Yep, they just slide right out of his grasp. However, as you may have noticed, the title of this move is identical to his Up Special... any Hornets that you just called or were already on the foe at the time will begin to fly straight upwards, pulling them up with the strength of his Up Special. This also takes their weight into consideration... Kirby's going to go up much faster than, say, Bowser. Foes can escape with Grab difficulty, taking 8% plus 1% for every Hornet doing the lifting.
If you use this move without any Hornets around... well, you just released them from a grab. While this could be used for Chaingrabbing, theoretically, keep in mind Hornet Man's less-than-ideal ending lag on releasing the opponent.​

[8% + 1% x (varies)]

Down Throw: Aggressor

Hornet Man releases a red fog from the Honeycombs on his chest, and drops the opponent to the ground, dealing a mere 5%. However, this fog isn't just for show... any Hornet within range (two Battlefield Platforms in all directions) will immediately become Aggressive, and chase after the opponent, only stopping once they escape the same range. If they don't get up and roll away soon, their damage is really going to climb...​

[5%, angers Hornets]

Final Smash: Harvest Time

When Hornet Man activates his Final Smash, the screen zooms in to him, and takes on an orangeish tint momentarily. A couple of leaves blow in from the side of the screen as an aesthetic effect. Now, when the screen zooms back out, you'll see that any Flower Gardens you may have made have doubled in width and will never run out of Honey (during the Final Smash), and Hives are going into overdrive! Instead of one Hornet every second, THREE every second are being produced, and each hive can support up to 20! To top it all off, no Hornets from opposing hives will fight eachother. Now's the time to deal some serious damage to your opponent... or maybe just to recover from some heavy losses.​

[varies]

Hornet Man is the epitome of a camper. With the smallest amount of setup, he has a fortress in which he can heal himself and deal damage from a distance. While he CAN fight this way, you're unlikely to get much respect... to make Hornet Man realize his true potential, you'll have to stray away from the nest.

When you first start the Brawl, set up a Hive as soon as you can. While you may not be defenseless without Hornets, you can sure defend yourself easier with them. Keep the foes away from the Nest at all costs at this early stage, especially if they have ANY fire attacks. Use your UTilt and BThrow to manage this, or even give them some Honey to keep them occupied. Whatever you do, DON'T plant Flower Gardens at this time, or the opponent will be able to pick them off one by one.

Once you have one or two nests readied, it's time to go on the offensive. Call some Hornets to your side with your Dash Attack, and do your worst. UAirs will rack up damage nicely, even if they do knock off several of your Hornets. Your best bet for damaging the foe is to anger the Hornets yourself, and then knock them into their range. This, however, will weaken your own abilities to control the Hornets, since they won't listen to you while aggressive... ah, well. Sometimes it's a risk you have to take.

While the foe is under attack by Hornets, you may want to take the time to set up another hive, out of range, along with a Flower Garden. This will be your Honey Hive, and you can return to it at any time to reap the spoils of your Hornets' labor.

All in all, Hornet Man is all about keeping the foes occupied with your Hornets while you do the dirty work of giving them a space to live and something to do. It's an unrewarding job; your tenants won't even stick up for you if you're under attack; but they'll listen to your every command and even provide you with a sweet reward occasionally. Keep them alive, and they'll keep you alive.​

Vs. Raven: 20/80, Raven’s favor

Playing against Raven is like pitting two snipers against eachother…and Raven’s the better of the two. In order to fight back, Hornet Man is going to have to approach Raven… and she has plenty of tools to deal with approachers. The fact that you’re thinking about approaching probably means there’s something wrong with this matchup anyway. In addition, she can set up a DTilt directly in front of a hive, potentially destroying it if you forget about the patch of darkness on your way to nab some honey. Still, overreliance on this technique can be Raven’s downfall as well… eventually, the area will be full of aggressive Hornets.​

Vs. Vaati: 80/20, Hornet Man’s favor

While Vaati may seem to be the ultimate counter to Hornet Man at first, since he can easily blow any number of Hornets away, the fact of the matter is that no matter HOW many times he blows them away, they’ll just keep coming right back. Hornet Man can abuse his Hornets’ aggressive nature in this matchup…if he attacks a couple Hornets from each Beehive, (and you’re going to want a few hives to beat Vaati, unless you want this matchup to drag on forever), and then runs out of their range, the Hornets will race after the nearest available target… Vaati himself. Once you get a couple on Vaati, the fight’s about over. Keep swarming him and you’ll have no trouble with this matchup.​

Vs. Baby Mario Bros: 30/70, Baby Mario Bros. favor

While Hornet Man has the range, power, and priority to devastate the babies, their saving grace is their Side Special. With Hornet Man’s poor grab, all it’s going to take is one Fire Bros. for them to charge right through Hornet Man’s defenses, destroying all the Hornets they touch and setting the Hive on fire. Still, if Hornet Man can hold them off until there are enough Hornets around, he should be able to keep them airborne long enough to get them to KO %’s, with their weak aerial game.​

Up Taunt

Hornet Man’s left and right Honeycombs pop open, and a single Hornet flies from one into the other, while Hornet Man follows it with his eyes. When it reaches the other side, both Honeycombs close again, and Hornet Man is ready for battle. This has the slightest amount of mindgame potential, as the foe may momentarily think you have more Hornets than you actually do.​

Side Taunt

Hornet Man pulls out a watering can from Hammerspace, and waters the ground in front of him for half a second.​

Down Taunt

The stinger on Hornet Man’s head suddenly glistens in the light, and a thin vein of poison runs down it. This poison evaporates nearly instantly, but will still leave a faint purple line.​

Bonus! A look inside Hornet Man's development...

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Protoman.EXE: Everybody's pretty much covered how this set is. Basically, I think you're taking feasability in movesets a little far, as it isn't particularly original and the playstyle is somewhat bland, though I commend you on the well-written matchups. Still an excellent effort, but I think you've done better. Sorry for the lame comment, I pretty much have nothing to add to what other people have said...

Hornet Man: For some reason, it makes me happy that a robot master moveset uses something other than his neutral special to use the gun Megaman gets... Yeah, disregarding that this is still a good set. By far the best aspect of it is the playstyle. The honey mechanic is interesting, despite the licking themselves feeling somewhat random, due to the layer of playstyle it adds. The way he can't really control his bees directly is unique to me, as it feels very fitting to character... though the writeup is a little *too* conscise.

Speaking of concise...ity...ness, you did a good job keeping the moveset concise. Granted, this may be because the moves have little to them (fsmash is a powerful but laggy KO move? fair is a simple stab? RAGE), but it's still a definite strength. It's proved by the matchups, which are concise yet manage to cover all the important details. Though only three is a little skimpy...

I prefer Thief Khee'blur to this guy due to better originality, but this is still a good moveset. Oh, and one last nitpick: is it really all that hard to make situationals and victory poses? Though I suppose it's part of the concise factor.

Agi

Smash Lord
Hornet Man: For some reason, it makes me happy that a robot master moveset uses something other than his neutral special to use the gun Megaman gets... Yeah, disregarding that this is still a good set. By far the best aspect of it is the playstyle. The honey mechanic is interesting, despite the licking themselves feeling somewhat random, due to the layer of playstyle it adds. The way he can't really control his bees directly is unique to me, as it feels very fitting to character... though the writeup is a little *too* conscise.

Speaking of concise...ity...ness, you did a good job keeping the moveset concise. Granted, this may be because the moves have little to them (fsmash is a powerful but laggy KO move? fair is a simple stab? RAGE), but it's still a definite strength. It's proved by the matchups, which are concise yet manage to cover all the important details. Though only three is a little skimpy...

I prefer Thief Khee'blur to this guy due to better originality, but this is still a good moveset. Oh, and one last nitpick: is it really all that hard to make situationals and victory poses? Though I suppose it's part of the concise factor.
I don't see what's wrong with the Neutral Special not being Megaman's weapon... heck, Heat Man had Atomic Fire as the Front Smash. Oh, and I'll say it right now... the Honey isn't a Mechanic, just another layer of his Playstyle. It's a reward for both the foe... and the Hornets.

Concise, yes. That about sums it up. Hornet Man was an attempt to dip into the "playable" field... hence why the FAir and FSmash were in such stark contrast to the rest of the set. There's no way I want Hornet Man to COMPLETELY rely on his Hornets... that'd screw him over in matches against, say, Bowser and Falcon.

It's a bit disappointing/thrilling to see you prefer Thief to Hornet Man. Personally, I like Thief a good bit more, if simply for the concept... but I'd much rather play as Hornet Man. And as for my lack of Extras... well, see Thief himself.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Hornet Man

OMG TRAP CHARACTER!? No, I'm joking. Hornet Man isn't a trap (Splash Woman on the other hand :O).

Ok, so Hornet Man is a summoner, specifically a bit like an extreme and campy Olimar to put it in oversimplified terms, atleast at first glance. Upon a full read, I don't know if I can even classify Hornet Man. He feels like a combination of a trap and a summoner, but not specifically either. This vaguely reminds me of my own Arthas and Thrall.

But onto the actual compliments and criticisms, right?

Hornet Man appears to be extremely reliant on his hornets to do much of...well.. anything really. On the plus side, this helps keep him within a reasonable balance. Unfortunately, this also severely limits his direct options, many of his moves based solely on the manipulation of his hornets.

The hornets are pretty much the only thing outside of Hornet Man's down throw that is actually good for damage racking from what I can tell, seeing as Hornet Man's direct options are largely predictable, of average power at best, and can't combo. Those hornets sure do crazy damage though. Each one deals 3% per second, with no clear limit as to how many hornets can be on a foe at one time, other than the limits of how many hornets a particular nest can have out at once. Add in the Chibees and the Bee Chaser and your damage racking potential through indirect means has just become insane.

On top of this, Hornet Man is very capable of healing himself, being able to heal for 2% per idle second while honeyfied or by constructing a flower garden. Self heals are something a set maker has to be very wary about, as they have the potential to be broken... and I would definitely call this potentially overpowered. Those flower gardens aren't going to die until they've been drained of honey... and the foes will likely be too busy with agressive bees to stop the production of honey alltogether.

Sure, Hornet Man is far from a good direct fighter and his recovery is nothing short of bad without non-agressive hornets to help him, but really... when one can land as much damage as he can while keeping the foe distracted and providing potentially insane amounts of self-healing... who needs these things. As soon as Hornet Man gets some beehives and flower gardens on the field, he seems all but unstoppable to most foes who don't have fire attacks at their disposal.

Of course, the set isn't bad. Some of the moves really struck my fancy. The hives and the honey mechanics alone were enough to make this set one to remember. Some of the little details, such as the hornets from different hives attacking eachother if hives were built to close, caught my attention, and in the mentioned case, made me smile. As such, I commend you for making a good set.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Just as I'm about to post three movesets, two big ones are posted. Great! XD I'll wait until the next page....

But in the mean time, I gotta read Hornet Man. 0.0 Looks good, in particular the incredible organization.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I had already intended on posting a set on this page and conceded that to Agi.... Looks like I'll be handing over the next page to Frf then... Curse my generous attitude.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Heh, thanks Chris. Don't worry, you're generosity is going to a good cause!

I really shouldn't have waited until sunday night to finish these, but ah well. >_<

And @ the fourth hokage set: Are you planning to add this set and replace Ike in game? If so, good luck to ya. Maybe you could add a few of the sets here if you're good enough. :p

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Hornet Man

Hornet Man was a good read, but he had some strengths and weaknesses. The organization was good, and the beehive mechanic was well implemented; this mechanic was implemented well enough that it completely dashed any idea in my mind of writing a Vespiquen set, so good job there.

I would say however that I feel that you didn't explain some things very well. For example, when you explain about Hornet Man honeyfying himself, you just barely gloss over what it actually does; and moves like the dash attack were so complex it took me a while to get it. I feel the whole hive system, while intricate and well-implemented, could have been simpler, the opposing hornet hives and complex rules about which the hive belonged to weren't necessary to make the set work, and just make it harder on the player, IMO.

Also, there were a few moves that seemed rather boring, the Up Tilt and Forward Smash being glorified headbutts on an otherwise so interesting character felt like a waste; while not every move had to rely on hornets, they were jarring amongst all the other moves. Also, moves like the Bair, Fthrow, and Uthrow seemed rather ridiculous in conception; throwing mini-hives and honey ropes?

But this set was overall good. I felt that Hornet Man was not just balanced, but had a very clear playstyle, and you did an excellent job of making him reliant, but not helpless without his yellow and black friends. Hornet Man is very complicated, but also very good.

Edit: @ Fourth Hokage

This place really isn't designed for implementing sets in brawl, its just theoretical and fun. As far as I know, no one here has the coding knowledge necessary to replace characters, and in the end it isn't the goal. On the set, its rather barebones; a vast majority of the moves are "like X but X," which is frowned upon, and you skip over a lot of other information. Read the OP, look at some sets that have been highly esteemed, and you should do fine here.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Hornet Man: I'm honestly impressed by this set. The writing style is inviting yet utterly factual, the organization is done well, the playstyle flows and you've included some intresting effects and interactions- two of my favorite things. I'm sorry that I'm not much help here, but I just enjoyed Hornet Man too much to let this pass by without comment. You put this set together really, really well.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Well these sets aren't made for people to put into smash bros., just some users expressing their creative ideas. Actually the first post explains it a lot better than I would.

And I agree with UserShadow. The organization is really inviting, and the playstyle works really well. You had one or two boring moves, yet it doesn't really matter to me considering all of the others flow so perfectly together. Well done.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
No problem. Even if it is your first set, I think you did quite well. Maybe you should stick around, fourth hokage sure as heck is a lot better than some of the other newcomer movesets posted. (I secretly want someone to make a moveset for an Eyeshield 21 character, though. >.>)

Agi

Smash Lord
Hornet Man

OMG TRAP CHARACTER!? No, I'm joking. Hornet Man isn't a trap (Splash Woman on the other hand :O).

Ok, so Hornet Man is a summoner, specifically a bit like an extreme and campy Olimar to put it in oversimplified terms, atleast at first glance. Upon a full read, I don't know if I can even classify Hornet Man. He feels like a combination of a trap and a summoner, but not specifically either. This vaguely reminds me of my own Arthas and Thrall.
Yeah, he's a different breed, alright... if I had to classify him, he'd be a "Farmer".

But onto the actual compliments and criticisms, right?

Hornet Man appears to be extremely reliant on his hornets to do much of...well.. anything really. On the plus side, this helps keep him within a reasonable balance. Unfortunately, this also severely limits his direct options, many of his moves based solely on the manipulation of his hornets.

The hornets are pretty much the only thing outside of Hornet Man's down throw that is actually good for damage racking from what I can tell, seeing as Hornet Man's direct options are largely predictable, of average power at best, and can't combo. Those hornets sure do crazy damage though. Each one deals 3% per second, with no clear limit as to how many hornets can be on a foe at one time, other than the limits of how many hornets a particular nest can have out at once. Add in the Chibees and the Bee Chaser and your damage racking potential through indirect means has just become insane.
Keeping him reliant on the Hornets for attack was another way to force the Hornet Man user to balance between the Hornets' three uses... auto-attack (aggressive mode/honey), direct attack (hornet-based moves), and farming mode. (Flower Gardens and USmash) It's going to be difficult for a Hornet Man user to balance these three, since he lacks that finesse of fine control... making it all the easier to balance the set itself.
...I'm going to stop myself before I go off on a huge tangent. I've got a good two paragraphs in the works that you don't want to read anyways.

On top of this, Hornet Man is very capable of healing himself, being able to heal for 2% per idle second while honeyfied or by constructing a flower garden. Self heals are something a set maker has to be very wary about, as they have the potential to be broken... and I would definitely call this potentially overpowered. Those flower gardens aren't going to die until they've been drained of honey... and the foes will likely be too busy with agressive bees to stop the production of honey alltogether.
Yeah, this was where my ideas went up against the brick wall of Balance. I'd like to think I did a better job, though... the honey-carrying Hornets slow down significantly, making them moving hurtboxes. Oh, but I will concede Honeyfying yourself was a bit broken... which is why I've changed it. It was never intended to be a healing option, just a mobile Flower Garden of sorts, as well as a simple way to attract Hornets... which is why I've now changed it so that it says such.

Sure, Hornet Man is far from a good direct fighter and his recovery is nothing short of bad without non-agressive hornets to help him, but really... when one can land as much damage as he can while keeping the foe distracted and providing potentially insane amounts of self-healing... who needs these things. As soon as Hornet Man gets some beehives and flower gardens on the field, he seems all but unstoppable to most foes who don't have fire attacks at their disposal.
Counterpick.

Of course, the set isn't bad. Some of the moves really struck my fancy. The hives and the honey mechanics alone were enough to make this set one to remember. Some of the little details, such as the hornets from different hives attacking eachother if hives were built to close, caught my attention, and in the mentioned case, made me smile. As such, I commend you for making a good set.
Sounds great, and I appreciate the lengthy comment! :bee:
Also, I think I'm the first to maintain the integrity of your formatting throughout the whole quote.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man was a good read, but he had some strengths and weaknesses. The organization was good, and the beehive mechanic was well implemented; this mechanic was implemented well enough that it completely dashed any idea in my mind of writing a Vespiquen set, so good job there.
Sorry to cut ya short there.

I would say however that I feel that you didn't explain some things very well. For example, when you explain about Hornet Man honeyfying himself, you just barely gloss over what it actually does; and moves like the dash attack were so complex it took me a while to get it. I feel the whole hive system, while intricate and well-implemented, could have been simpler, the opposing hornet hives and complex rules about which the hive belonged to weren't necessary to make the set work, and just make it harder on the player, IMO.
There's not really much to explain about Honeyfying yourself... it's nearly identical to the effect your opponents receive, except your Hornets don't hurt you. And like I've said before, the opposing hives was a way to keep the stage littered with Hornets, and thus a way to balance him.

Also, there were a few moves that seemed rather boring, the Up Tilt and Forward Smash being glorified headbutts on an otherwise so interesting character felt like a waste; while not every move had to rely on hornets, they were jarring amongst all the other moves. Also, moves like the Bair, Fthrow, and Uthrow seemed rather ridiculous in conception; throwing mini-hives and honey ropes?
The Up Tilt is actually one of Hornet Man's most critical moves, considering his poor grab... its one of his few ways to force an opponent into the most Hornet-dense areas. BAir, similarly, was an attempt to make him not entirely reliant on the Hornets he makes from the Hives... and a way to get back onstage; just drop one off and watch the foes bat off the little Chibees, giving you free passage back onstage.
Really, now, each of those moves you pulled out had a key purpose in his playstyle... Pick the FAir, however, and you have me by the throat. :p

But this set was overall good. I felt that Hornet Man was not just balanced, but had a very clear playstyle, and you did an excellent job of making him reliant, but not helpless without his yellow and black friends. Hornet Man is very complicated, but also very good.
:bee:

Hornet Man: I'm honestly impressed by this set. The writing style is inviting yet utterly factual, the organization is done well, the playstyle flows and you've included some intresting effects and interactions- two of my favorite things. I'm sorry that I'm not much help here, but I just enjoyed Hornet Man too much to let this pass by without comment. You put this set together really, really well.
Thankees, Shadow! Yeah, there're nuances in his Playstyle that no one's picked up on yet... I can only hope someone notices them in his eventual Review.

Frf

Smash Apprentice

(HITMONLEE)

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (OVERVIEW)

Hitmonlee “the kicking fiend” is one of the three evolutions of Tyrogue. Well known for his legs of limber, Hitmonlee possesses the greatest attack of the three “Hitmons”, while having paper-thin defense and middling speed. Fitting, considering he evolves from Tyrogue by having more attack than defense.

In Brawl Hitmonlee is best at crippling the foe in some way or another. Be it juggling them in the air, forcing them to stay grounded, or just tripping them up- Hitmonlee has to stop their momentum in order to gain his own.

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (STATS)

Power . . . . . 8
Weight . . . . . 6
Speed . . . . . 8
Jump . . . . . 8
Fall . . . . . 8
Attack Speed . . . . . 3
Priority . . . . . 7

Wow, looks like we got a fast, bulky powerhouse with nice priority. Broken, much? It may seem like it, yet his attack speed really makes everything fall apart, or at least become somewhat balanced. You could say the speed of Hitmonlee’s attacks is his Achilles heel. That speed and jumping power of his comes from the great strength and flexibility of his legs.

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (MOVESET)

(SPECIALS)

Neutral Special . . . . . Stiff Leg

Hitmonlee extends his left leg to nearly a battlefield platform forward. Use the control stick to move his leg as long as you’re holding B. During this time, any foe that touches Hitmonlee’s extended leg will immediately trip, unless if they’re in the air and in that case they’ll be sent into freefall. It causes no damage.

This move would be sub par if it weren’t for the great range of Hitmonlee’s leg. When you can’t think of any specific move to use, this is always a great option to fall back on, as it’s one of the few relatively safe options Hitmonlee can use to always keep the foe on guard.

Side Special . . . . . Close Combat

Hitmonlee stands on one leg, and bends the other that is off the ground, so that it looks as if his knee is blocking his eyes. (Better view of it below)

As soon as the fairly quick animation is over, a small crosshair immediately appears in front of Hitmonlee’s lifted foot. You can move this crosshair (it moves at the speed of Dragoon’s crosshair) with the control stick as long as you’re holding B. Once B is released, Hitmonlee will launch a blindingly fast kick with his lifted leg, with the range of an average kick. If you hit the opponent, then they will take 7% damage and weak knockback. Unless if you hit them directly between the eyes.

If you successfully land a kick right between their eyes, the move is practically a one-hit KO, dealing 23% and very high knockback.

This is a very important move in the arsenal, obviously. But once the opponent sees the crosshair they’ll know to move away, or at least attack you while you’re vulnerable, so you’ll have to plan ahead of time until you get the opportune moment to strike.

Up Special . . . . . Vacuum Wave

Hitmonlee rapidly spins his leg above him for half a second, creating a twister the size of himself that stays put where it was placed until Hitmonlee is out of the match for good.

This doesn’t affect the foe in anyway; in fact, it only has one purpose. When Hitmonlee is inside or reasonably close to the twister, pressing Up B will have him rapidly spin inside it for a brief moment, and then launch up to about the same height of Dedede’s Up Special.

Sounds nice, but you have to be knocked specifically near the twister to have any way of recovering, and once the twister is placed, it’s staying there for good. Plus, the recovery has little to no horizontal distance at all, added with Hitmonlee’s status as a fast faller…..Yeah, you see where this is going. Just keep him on the stage, please.

Down Special . . . . . Sucker Kick

Hitmonlee stands in a similar pose to his side special for one second. If you are attacked during this time, Hitmonlee will retaliate with a quick kick that’s damage is twice that that of the foes attack, plus decent knockback. Unfortunately, the opponent’s attack still hits you, and Hitmonlee gets 1.5 times the knockback dealt to him. Ouch. Best used in the lower percents as an ok option to rack up damage, where you are sure Hitmonlee will stay on stage after being hit.

Like any other counter, Sucker Kick doesn’t work against grabs.

(STANDARDS)

Jab . . . . . Stomp

As the name says, Hitmonlee glances downward and stomps the ground, looking as if he’s trying to squish a bug. The stomp comes out fairly fast, and causes 5% damage. The range is mediocre, however.

Stomp also has the strange property of setting off explosives without causing harm to Hitmonlee himself. This is particularly useful against Snake’s mines and similar traps of that nature. It can also block certain items and projectiles if you time it well.

Dash Attack . . . . . Rolling Kick

Hitmonlee tucks his legs and arms in to resemble a ball. This is one of those beloved dash attacks in which if you keep holding A Hitmonlee will keep rolling forward. Upon releasing A Hitmonlee will instantly get out of his ball and perform a dashing kick that does 8% and little knockback.

This attack is best used against a shield-happy foe, as your Rolling Kick is virtually lagless and does great work against piercing or at least wearing down shields. Plus it’s quick, something that other moves in Hitmonlee’s arsenal would greatly benefit from.

(TILTS)

Side Tilt . . . . . Knockout Knee

Hitmonlee swipes with both arms in an attempt to grab his opponent. If he successfully grabs, he’ll deliver a powerful knee straight to the foe’s face, for 18% and impressive knockback. The range isn’t all that great, yet it’s quick and abusable.

So, where’s the catch? The catch is that this move only works if the opponent is in their tripped state the moment Hitmonlee grabs, due to his arms swiping low to the ground (He hasn’t used them much, has he….). Lucky for you, you have your neutral special to force them to trip rather than waiting for pure luck and perfect timing.

Up Tilt . . . . . Ax Kick

The kicking fiend sticks his leg straight up for a little over a second, and then brings it down with a powerful force for 10% damage, not unlike Ganondorf’s or Captain Falcon’s up tilt. If you time it right and pull it off, the foe will be forced to crouch for two seconds, being unable to jump as well.

On an airborne opponent, the ax kick will spike them straight into the ground, going into a grounded state similar to the effects of DK’s forward special. The amount of time they spent grounded depends on their damage %, the higher it is, the longer they stay grounded. Be cautious with this move, as you have noticeable starting and ending lag.

Down Tilt . . . . . Dead Leg

Hitmonlee crouches down and kicks his leg forward, being a tad bit slower than Ganondorf’s down tilt. If it hits your foe, then they will take 6% damage as well as entering a “crippled” state, in which their jumping and crouching will have nearly twice the start-up time. This effect lasts for almost six seconds.

Dead leg is a very important move in the arsenal. It’s not too slow, and your opponents jumping and crouching delayed by nearly two-fold could destroy their playstyle, as well as their momentum. You have no signal or indication as to when their crippled state is over, so make sure you count down the six seconds.

(SMASHES)

Side Smash . . . . . Grounded Kick

As he’s charging, Hitmonlee sticks one leg up, as if he’s about ready to stomp something. Once you release A, Hitmonlee will slam his foot into the ground so powerfully that it actually digs through the stage! Part of Hitmonlee’s leg will then burst through the ground a certain distance in front of him, depending on how long you charge (One stage builder block with no charge, four stage builder blocks with full charge).

The move will deal 8-13% damage to the foe, and once it hits them they will immediately trip- perfect for a side tilt, yet it hits a good distance away, so it’s best to be used for spacing and such.

Up Smash . . . . . Skyscraper

Hitmonlee crouches down as he charges up his smash. Once done, Hitmonlee’s leg will very quickly extend upward, to about the length of the center of Battlefield to the tallest middle platform of Battlefield, perhaps even a bit higher. It deals 6-11% with light knockback. Hitmonlee then puts his leg down about a second later.

No doubt Hitmonlee’s best anti-air option. It’s great for juggling foes at high percents as well, and unless they have incredible air mobility they aren’t going to have fun getting out of the juggle. The bad news is that the only the foot on Hitmonlee’s leg will cause damage, while the actual leg part acts as a standard wall. Perhaps that could be put to good use in a team battle….

Down Smash . . . . . Zen Headbutt

Hitmonlee holds his arms back as he’s charging. Once A is released, Hitmonlee, slightly crouching, swipes forward with both of his arms. If he successfully grabs the opponent, then Hitmonlee’s head glows a faint purple as he rams his foe with it, causing good upwards knockback and 7-12% damage.

Once the opponent is airborne, they will fall at an incredibly slow speed, as if they’ve just been slowed down by the timer item, and their fall speed will remain at this pace until the next time they touch the ground, and which then it will revert back to normal. As it sounds this move is great for potential juggling with Hitmonlee’s up smash. The short range is tough to work with, however.

(AERIALS)

Neutral Air . . . . . Karate Chop

Hitmonlee looks around. During this brief time tilt the control stick in the direction you need to attack. Once you’re done, Hitmonlee will launch a short ranged karate chop in the direction you pointed the control stick.

If you pull it off, the karate chop will do 7% as well as paralyze the foe for the same amount of time as Zero Suit Samus’s fully charged paralyzer shocks them for. Although the range and priority is terrible, the attack is so quick and so subtle the opponent might not even notice it if they’re right up in your face.

Forward Air . . . . . Crush Kick

For about a second Hitmonlee holds his leg back. After this, Hitmonlee will strike forward with a powerful kick, causing 12% damage and decent knockback. The attack has minor ending lag.

Now the foe is in for a surprise. The moment they hit the ground, the opponent will immediately entered their downed state, like what happens if they’ve been knocked into a ground by a powerful attack. Hitmonlee, being a fast faller, should be able to get to the ground before they do, and take advantage of their downfall.

Back Air . . . . . Hi Jump Kick

Hitmonlee dashes back slightly, and then jumps up a tad with his leg held high. After the fancy introduction, Hitmonlee will extend his right leg forward and fall to the ground with a downwards and forwards momentum. Any opponent that touches the hitbox of the leg during this time will take multiple piercing hits for about 25% damage total as well as decent knockback.

Since the opponent will be knocked back after the first hit or so if they enter above and get hit from top-half of Hitmonlee’s leg, it is best to plan ahead and time it so that the foe will be forced under his leg, so they take the full 25% damage as well as knockback once they both land on the ground. Well, IF they land on the ground….This move is terribly easy to suicide with…..

Up Air . . . . . Twister Kick

Hitmonlee looks upward and barrages anyone within range with a flurry of kicks above himself. Land it right and the opponent will take multiple hits for 14% damage, yet poor knockback.

If you use this move right above a tornado from Hitmonlee’s up B, the power of the twister kick will increase (to 21% damage), along with its range and speed. The move wasn’t that bad before, but now it’s quite the juggling move, able to rack up damage fairly easy. Noticeable ending lag.

Down Air . . . . . Feint

Hitmonlee simply looks down for about half a second. This move has no use unless if the opponent is air dodging above you.

If they are dodging the moment you use this, Hitmonlee will dash right to them and kick the foe for 8% damage and average knockback, a move that’s practically unavoidable. Best used for those pesky air dodgers who are ruining your good juggling fun.

(GRAB)

Grab . . . . . Elastikick

Hitmonlee extends his leg forward for about a platform’s distance away from him. This lasts for about a second. If the opponent gets near the extended leg during this time, Hitmonlee’s leg will suddenly strike them right in the stomach and stay there, the opponent being unable to move until they are able to escape it like a normal grab. The foe can still attack, yet they will find this largely useless since Hitmonlee’s leg extends so far out, so they won’t be able to hurt Hitmonlee’s body for damage.

While they are grabbed, Hitmonlee can use any of his tilts or his A combo with his other free leg (He jumps up and performs the move very quickly, oddly enough still being able to keep his balance….)

All of Hitmonlee’s tilts largely remain the same, yet his A combo is quite different. Hitmonlee will use his leg he “grabbed” the foe with and stomp his foe down to the ground with crushing power, grounding them and causing 7% damage, albeit the move is rather slow.

Overall the grab is a nice option, yet you usually have something that will be more useful in certain situations.

(FINAL SMASH)

Final Smash . . . . . Bulk Up

Once you unleash Hitmonlee’s final smash, his eyes and legs will start to glow. During this time each of Hitmonlee’s moves will cause the opponent to enter a stunned state like when someone breaks their shield, although for half the duration. The only move that will cause knockback is Hitmonlee’s side special, which will greatly benefit from stunned foes.

The final smash lasts for sixteen seconds.

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (PLAYSTYLE)

Hitmonlee is the best of the three Hitmons when it comes to his power, and it shows in the moveset. You want to pour everything you have into destroying your opponent’s playstyle and overall mobility, so you can land that one close combat or that one knockout knee. He’s not the hardest character to learn, yet he still takes plenty of time to get used to. This is how you play Hitmonlee.

When first starting the match, find the opportune moment to place a twister from your Up B somewhere on the stage. Where, you might ask? Well, the place you think would be best to juggle the opponent, obviously, due to Hitmonlee’s greatly boosted Up Air. Don’t even worry about recovery; even if you are able to get knocked out of the stage and close to the twister, your ability to get back safely is sub par at best.

Now with your twister placed, you’re going to have to approach the foe. Or, you could let them approach you. Bait them with a fully charged forward smash, or if they’re coming in from above (which I might add isn’t the smartest thing to do), an up smash should do reasonably well.

So you’re close or at least close enough to the foe to be able to strike. Don’t go crazy with close combat and simply pray it hits them directly between the eyes; it’s best to cripple the opposition somehow as soon as possible. Down tilt, as well as the neutral special, are your best options. Both come out fairly quick, and can really mess up the quick and speedy foes that will give you the most trouble.

Although your ground game is quite nice, your juggling abilities should not be underestimated. Hitmonlee’s side tilt is probably one of the few ways to get the foe flying without going to the air himself, and even then it’s not too reliable. Once they do go airborne, however, it’s easy to tear them apart with timed up smashes and a couple of up airs.

Eventually you will be at the point where the opponent is in KO range; Hitmonlee is now in the most comfortable position. An ax kick to force an opponent to crouch will be your best bet to launch a less-risky close combat, yet if you time it right tripping them up is another option.

Hitmonlee’s game isn’t too complicated. You force an opponent to be in positions that do not mesh well with their playstyle in order to make your playstyle worthwhile. Your worst enemies will be those who can move around the stage with ease and adapt to different ways of battling, yet it won’t be so easy for them if all you need is to get a well aimed kick to decide the match.

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (TEAM PLAYSTYLE)

When working with a partner, Hitmonlee will oddly enough not be the one in the thick of things. He should be supporting his partner, crippling the opposition with a variety of options just to make it that much easier for his ally to make the big hits.

Yet that doesn’t mean Hitmonlee won’t be making the kills and calling the shots, in fact, it’s quite the opposite. With your teammate holding onto the foe, it’s that much easier to launch a close combat in order to take them down.

Overall Hitmonlee needs a partner who can play well defensively, yet still be in the thick of things all at the same time. They don’t need incredible speed or KO power; just the ability to weave in and out and solid damage-racking capabilities. With that in mind, the perfect partner for Hitmonlee in a team match would be Hitmonchan…..Wait, Hitmonchan?

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick . . . . . (#106)

Frf

Smash Apprentice

[HITMONCHAN]

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [OVERVIEW]

Hitmonchan, the punching pokemon, is one of the three evolutions of Tyrogue. In-game he has the unique ability “Iron Fist” which increases the power of moves involving punches by twenty percent. Despite this, he is considered the weakest of the three “Hitmons”, due to his below average speed and good-but-not-great attack stat.

In Smash Bros. Hitmonchan is a character with plenty of defensive toys to use to his advantage. He may not be plowing through foes left and right; but with great staying power and a solid ground game Hitmonchan isn’t going to go down without a fight.

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [STATS]

Power . . . . . 7
Weight . . . . . 7
Speed . . . . . 6
Jump . . . . . 4
Fall . . . . . 7
Attack Speed . . . . . 6
Priority . . . . . 8

Like Hitmonlee before him, Hitmonchan has above average stats in nearly every category, barring his jump. He doesn’t excel at anything in particular, though that priority is quite nice.

The weight may not seem like that big of a deal despite me mentioning his great staying power in the overview, but Hitmonchan’s defensive playstyle comes from his moveset, not his stats.

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [MOVESET]

[SPECIALS]

Neutral Special . . . . . Elemental Punch

Hitmonchan raises his fists up, as if he’s about to block an incoming attack. This won’t do squat against regular attacks, but against projectiles, Hitmonchan’s fists will absorb them, and his gloves will glow the color of what “type” of projectile it was.

Against explosives such as Snake’s grenades, or fire based projectiles such as Mario’s fireball, the gloves will glow red. Against ice based projectiles like Lucas’s PK freeze, or water-based projectiles such as Squirtle’s water gun, the gloves will glow blue. And finally, against hi-tech or electric based projectiles such as Falco’s blaster or Pikachu’s thundershock, the gloves will glow yellow. Certain unclassified projectiles will turn the gloves into a randomly picked color of the three.

Press B again to have Hitmonchan fire off a punch that depends on what color his gloves are glowing. They are:

Red- Hitmonchan bursts forward with his left fist ablaze. He goes forward about three stage builder blocks, and is similar to the falcon kick, albeit a lot flashier and a lot more useful. His fist deals multiple hits that add up to 18% damage and nice horizontal knockback.

Blue- Hitmonchan fires a quick jab forward. Any foe who is hit by the jab is suddenly frozen. Immediately afterward, Hitmonchan uses his other fist to knock the opponent downward, potentially having the properties of a spike. This deals a total of 15% damage.

Yellow- Hitmonchan, with his fists bursting with electricity, dashes forward and does a quick jab upward, close but not quite like an uppercut. He then does another with his left fist, and then the third and final jab with his right fist. This attack has great knockback upward and deals a total of 18% damage.

These elemental punches will be your most reliable ways to KO. Each has minor starting and ending lag, and after you fire off a punch the glow on your gloves will fade, unable to use an elemental punch again until you absorb another projectile, so save the punch for the best possible moment.

Side Special . . . . . Bullet Punch

Hitmonchan pulls his right arm back, and as soon as it seems like he’s about to punch forward, he disappears. If the opponent is on the same level as he is, Hitmonchan will reappear right in front of them and almost instantly jabs them once for 4% damage and next to no knockback. If there is no opponent at your level Hitmonchan will reappear at the very edge of wherever he was facing.

Without a doubt Hitmonchan’s safest way to approach, due to his speed and invulnerability. It all comes with one fatal flaw, however: You are only able to use this move once every ten seconds, similar to R.O.B.’s laser. Plus, there is no indication as to when you have a Bullet Punch stored and when you don’t. It’s still a very vital move in the set, so don’t underestimate it.

Up Special . . . . . Elemental Recovery

This move is only useful when you have an elemental punch stored. If you don’t, Hitmonchan will simply flail his arms around, not gaining any sort of vertical or horizontal distance.

If you DO have an elemental punch stored, however, then Hitmonchan will recover in a way that’s unique to the element he currently has stored.

Red- Hitmonchan does a standard uppercut that gains the vertical distance of Ike’s recovery. During this, his fist is aflame, so any foe that is hit by it will be harmed with multiple, fiery hits that do a total of 11% damage. An average recovery overall.

Blue- Hitmonchan throws his fist downward, and it creates a small ice platform that disappears after three or four seconds. Hitmonchan’s jumps are renewed, yet the recovery isn’t all that great.

Yellow- Hitmonchan brings his fists together, both of them being surrounded by minature lightning bolts. During this time he dashes a short distance depending on where you aimed the control stick after he brought his fists together. This recovery is quite similar to Lucario’s.

Like in his neutral special, after you use the recovery the glow on the gloves will fade and you won’t be able to use any sort of elemental-based attack.

Down Special . . . . . Momentous Fist

Hitmonchan grabs the ground, and performs a jab that looks brutal, yet only does 5% damage and pitiful knockback.

However, if you are flying from a powerful hit you just took and are close enough to the ground, Hitmonchan will grab and hold on to the stage with all his might and, carrying the momentum of the knockback with him, fires off a punch that can do up to 20% damage and great knockback. The damage and knockback is dependent on how far and how fast you were being knocked back. The further you were flying, the more powerful the punch will be.

This is the one of the many defensive techniques Hitmonchan has in his arsenal. You will be able to survive to ridiculous percents with Momentous Fist, unless if you aren’t close enough to the ground, and in that case the attack is useless.

[STANDARDS]

Jab . . . . . Iron Fist

Hitmonchan, hands up like boxer, starts firing off one jab after the other, with his left fist, then his right fist, left fist, right fist, left fist, you get the idea. Each punch does 6% damage, yet little knockback. The range is decent and it’s fairly hard to punish.

It may be a boring move, but Iron Fist might be one of Hitmonchan’s best ways to attack. You will rarely find a moment where the attack will be risky, and it has great priority as well. Get a few jabs in, weave back out, come back in, jab a bit more, and the damage will be racking up in no time. Oh, and one more thing: The attack never goes stale. Fire away and enjoy.

Dash Attack . . . . . Lean In

Hitmonchan leans down slightly and performs a quick dash to gain the distance of about a platform, all in one smooth motion. During this time, Hitmonchan has super armor, taking damage yet not taking any sort of knockback. The armor also lasts a brief moment after a dash, allowing you to potentially net a few more iron fists.

When you can’t rely on bullet punch, lean in is another great way to approach, as it’s safe, quick, and very reliable.

[TILTS]

Side Tilt . . . . . Quick Dash

Hitmonchan dashes forward very quickly, gaining the distance of about a platform. This attack can also be used as a back tilt to dash backwards, oddly enough.

If the opponent hits you during this time, their attack’s damage will be reduced by half, rounding up if uneven. Hitmonchan’s dodges are rather slow, so this is his best substitute. The dash is safe and quick and adds to his survivability, just like quite a few of his other moves. Confuse the foe with dashing back and forth, and nail a few punches along the way!

Up Tilt . . . . . Fake Out

Hitmonchan does a quick, light uppercut. If you land this on a foe, it actually won’t hit them, rather Hitmonchan will purposely uppercut right beside the opponent, where Hitmonchan will then be slightly behind the foe, still in the air. Immediately following this Hitmonchan will shove the opponent backward nearly a platform’s distance. Now, both Hitmonchan and his opponent have their backs turned. Who’s going to make the first move, I wonder?

Down Tilt . . . . . Grappling Toss

Hitmonchan, crouching, swipes at the ground in front of him. If he is able to catch the foe during this time then Hitmonchan will fling the foe back about a platform’s distance (Noticing a trend, here?). The foe takes 10% damage.

While there up in the air, a quick dash backwards should get you immediately back to being right in front of them, to where you can fire off some more Iron Fist’s. A great move to mix your opponent up, yet the start up lag makes the down tilt sort of predictable.

[SMASHES]

Side Smash . . . . . Stunning Destroyer

Hitmochan brings his fists in while charging. Once done, he fires off a left hook in front of himself that will do 7% damage and no knockback at all.

If you use the side smash immediately after this, Hitmonchan will perform a brutal punch forward, causing 18-22% damage depending on the charge, as well as high knockback. However, it has noticeable starting and ending lag. You also have the option of using Iron Fist right after the first weak hit while taking advantage of the brief stun period.

Using the second part of the forward smash is fairly risky, yet you have enough defensive tools so if you don’t land it perfectly you will still be able to take a few hits. However, the elemental punch is, in general, a lot more reliable as a KO move.

Up Smash . . . . . Comet Punch

Hitmonchan looks up to the sky as he’s holding his fists back. Release the A button to have Hitmonchan fire off a flurry of punches, dealing multiple hits for 13-18% damage, yet weak knockback downward, which is strange.

Best used against air-happy foes who need to be drawn to Hitmonchan, although spamming the move is not an option, due to the noticeable ending lag.

Down Smash . . . . . Elemental Swipe

Hitmonchan holds his left fist upward. Once done charging, Hitmonchan will quickly swipe at the ground, dealing 9-14% damage and average knockback to those near him.

Along with that Hitmonchan also randomly acquires an element for his gloves, allowing him to be able to abuse his recovery and powerful elemental punches against foes without projectiles. The element you gain is purely random, however.

[AERIALS]

Neutral Air . . . . . Next Counter

Hitmonchan dodges just like he does in his normal air dodge. Immediately following this, he goes out of his dodge state and jabs forward for 9% damage with surprisingly decent knockback. Slight ending lag.

The best way to use this move is to, actually, not use it at all. Do a normal air dodge every now and then to scare off foes who think you’re going to use this move, which will allow Hitmonchan some space to safely get on the ground again.

Forward Air . . . . . And He’s Down!

Hitmonchan pulls his right fist back and, in a rather laggy move, fires off an underhanded punch. This causes 12% damage to the opponent, and immediately sends them into their freefall state.

The move would be brilliant if it wasn’t for that cursed start up lag. It could be used to gimp, however Hitmonchan falls too fast to safely put it to good use.

Back Air . . . . . Sudden Reflex

Hitmonchan glances back for about half a second. Any foe who attempts to hit Hitmonchan from behind during this time will have their attack blocked with his elbow, and turns around quickly so he and the foe are both face-to-face. As you would guess this defensive maneuver doesn’t have any effect if no one is attacking you. The move is still a nice option against those who are determined to make the most of Hitmonchan’s poor air game, however.

Up Air . . . . . Skyward Uppercut

Hitmonchan performs a quick jab upward for 5% damage and next to no knockback. After this Hitmonchan will keep looking up, yet falling as he does so.

The instant he hits the ground Hitmonchan will perform a powerful uppercut that goes as high up as he was when he first started the attack, for 11% damage and nice knockback. The drawback is, obviously, Hitmonchan’s vulnerability as he is falling. It makes an interesting option when short hopped, as there will be few openings if Hitmonchan is so close to the ground in the first place.

Down Air . . . . . Meditate

Still falling (although his fall speed is cut in half during this move), Hitmonchan lightly punches his head and takes a deep breath. The moment he lands on the ground he is healed for 1-12% damage, depending on how far away he was from the ground.

This move would be so much better for Hitmonchan if it was ground based, as there will be few times when Hitmonchan will actually want to go in the air. Still, it just adds to his survivability, so no use complaining.

[GRAB]

Grab . . . . . Clench

Hitmonchan does a simple grab with both hands, average range. Once you manage to get a hold of the foe, Hitmonchan will clench onto them as if he is…..hugging them? Anyway, the pummel has Hitmonchan clench harder, causing 2% damage. It’s a slow and boring pummel.

Forward Throw . . . . . Shove

Hitmonchan simply shoves the foe back for 5% damage. What makes this move unique, however, is its knockback. The longer you used the pummel for, the weaker the shove will be, to the point where they will hardly be shoved back at all if you pummeled them long enough.

What this means is the higher their percent is, the better chance you will have at pummeling them so they won’t be moved back much. And since they’re so close and vulnerable, it’s the perfect moment to fire off an elemental punch.

Back Throw . . . . . Mach Punch

Hitmonchan drops the foe right behind him. The foe is in their downed state, able to roll backwards or forwards, or attack if they so choose. But you probably knew that already. Anyway, Hitmonchan will perform a dashing punch that goes about the distance of three stage builder blocks. If the opponent rolled further back, the punch will successfully hit them for 9% damage and light knockback.

Up Throw . . . . . To The Sky!

Hitmonchan drops the foe right behind him, like in his back throw. Hitmonchan then fires off an uppercut that will only hit foes if they rolled right in front of Hitmonchan, doing 11% damage and nice knockback for a throw.

Down Throw . . . . . Foresight

Like in his last two moves, Hitmonchan drops the foe right behind him. He then enters a defensive stance that will counter the foe for 6% damage and average knockback, if they decided to attack from their downed state.

Mindgames is the main idea for these throws, yet your other options are a lot more reliable. If you had to pick one, go with the forward throw.

[FINAL SMASH]

Final Smash . . . . . Tri Attack

With eyes glowing, Hitmonchan throws his fist forward. If he successfully hits the opponent, the carnage starts. He first throws an icy punch forward, that deals 10% to your victim, and the punch freezes the stage for one second, freezing any grounded foes that are also in the match. After that, Hitmonchan throws an electric-infused uppercut at the foe, dealing 20% to him as well as causing a thunderbolt to strike where Hitmonchan and the victim are. The thunderbolt causes 20% and high knockback to those unfortunate enough to get hit by it.

Finally, Hitmonchan throws a fiery fist forward with all his might, dealing 30% damage and godly knockback to the poor sap who had to live through this final smash. Flames burst all around Hitmonchan, causing any other opponents close enough to get burned for 12% damage and decent knockback.

It sounds great, and it is in a free-for-all, yet that first initial punch has poor range, so make sure you know when the perfect opportunity is to strike.

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [PLAYSTYLE]

Hitmonchan, earning the title of “pokemon that best resembles a boxer”, is naturally a defensive-minded character. Sure, he can KO well, but the problem is, can he KO safely? That shouldn’t worry you or discourage you from using Hitmonchan, however, as he has one thing that makes him great: He simply will not die. His tools to stay on the stage are among the best, plus his recovery isn’t laughably bad like Hitmonlee’s is. But let us get into more detail, shall we?

Starting off a match you don’t want to use bullet punch to immediately get in your opponents face, rather, you want to slowly but surely approach your foe (Get used to taking things slow, it’s for the better). Weave in and out with some quick dash’s, and lean in when you’re just a tiiiiiny bit away from reach. Don’t worry about shielding or using traditional dodges, if anything, they hinder Hitmonchan.

Once you are close enough, the iron fist is obviously your best option. Such a simple attack, yet it’s such a safe attack and never goes stale. Don’t just keep tapping A for another minute, though. Iron Fist may be a great move, yet you still want to constantly quick dash or potentially use your fake uppercut (up tilt) to keep them from finding an easy way to rack up damage.

Although I haven’t mentioned it much in the set Hitmonchan’s priority on all of his moves are quite good. Oddly enough, it seems that the best offense can become yet another defense for Hitmonchan…..

There will be a time in which you will have to KO, yet you have high damage as well, not wanting to risk your own stock to take out theirs. That’s not a bad choice. In fact, it might be the better choice. Hit them with an up or down smash, as both are fairly quick and have decent knockback. The foe won’t quite be KO-d, but they will at least be sent off the stage, in which you can safely gain an element and strike them as they’re attempting to recover.

I just want to warn you about one thing: Hitmonchan isn’t a happy camper in the air. Keep him on the ground if you want reliability. Still, if you are forced or juggled into the sky, a few air dodges and neutral airs should scare your opponent off for a few moments, and then you can safely land.

As Hitmonchan you want to do one thing and one thing only: Drag the match out. You have a variety of defensive tools that most other smashers don’t even come close to. Facing light foes who love to pressure hardly gives Hitmonchan trouble; in fact, he enjoys the barrage, along with the laughable knockback. Just make sure your opponent can’t match your defensive skills; those that do will force Hitmonchan to take risks that he doesn’t need to. If you play it safe, then Hitmonchan will be a reliable ally.

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [TEAM PLAYSTYLE]

While on a team, Hitmonchan does best in overwhelming situations that his teammate doesn’t have the defenses to take. He works well with those that will support him from behind-the-scenes, be it setting up traps or distracting another enemy for a brief moment; he works really well with those types.

What benefits Hitmonchan even more on a team are those that can KO well, taking risks to gain the upper hand. His partner can stay behind him and safely poke opponents while Hitmonchan takes the big hits for them.

As mentioned in Hitmonlee’s playstyle, the first-generation Hitmons do well against many-a foe, playing a solid defensive game with some reliable KO power. In particular, they do well against teams with pressure-based characters, such as Hitmontop……Wait, Hitmontop?

punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch punch . . . . . [#107]

Frf

Smash Apprentice

<HITMONTOP>

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <OVERVIEW>

Hitmontop, best known for his ability to spin on his head while looking incredibly awesome at the same time, is one of the three evolutions of Tyrogue. He is considered the most balanced of the “Hitmons” due to his attack and defense being even, which allows him to be surprisingly bulky, as well as (arguably) the best of the three competitively.

As a fighter in Brawl, Hitmontop will use his great balance and spinning technique to devise a near-perfect pressure game against his enemy. As long as you keep spinning, it’s going to be a long, painful road for your opponent. Just make sure you know when to slow down.

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <STATS>

Power . . . . . 2
Weight . . . . . 5
Speed . . . . . 8
Jump . . . . . 4
Fall . . . . . 8
Attack Speed . . . . . 5
Priority . . . . . 3

Hmm, despite being the most balanced of the Hitmons, Hitmontop’s stats as a smash bros. character are quite specialized, and by specialized I mean bad. That speed is nice and being a fastfaller could be beneficial, yet everything else isn’t that great. And a pressure character with an attack speed that’s average at best is unheard of.

Let us hope the moveset will get Hitmontop anywhere above bottom tier….

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <MOVESET>

<SPECIALS>

Neutral Special . . . . . Rapid Spin

Hitmontop starts spinning faster (his idle pose is similar to the one in his picture), to the point where he looks like a blue and brown blur. Along with this, he makes the quiet “whirring” sound a top makes when it spins quickly. This process takes a little over a second.

During rapid spin, Hitmontop’s attack speed and priority DOUBLES due to how fast he is spinning. Now with near-instant attack speed and good priority, Hitmontop is now looking like a decent pressure character. You can still dodge, jump, and move around as you would normally; you’re just spinning faster.

You can’t stay rapidly spinning forever, unfortunately. After the one-second start up, Hitmontop’s rapid spin lasts for twelve seconds total, and in the last four seconds his priority and attack speed gradually reduces as he slows down. Rapid Spin is the most important move you have, however, so you need to press B again the moment you are slowing down, yet the opponent will try hard to not let that happen.

I will say it again: Most important move you have. If you aren’t going to rapid spin whenever possible, you are ruining the core of Hitmontop’s playstyle. That brilliant attack speed will serve you well.

Note: Due to this move being essential to Hitmontop’s game, I’m going to describe every attack in the set as if he is currently rapid spinning, unless if there is a major difference between a move while rapid spinning and while not rapid spinning.

Side Special . . . . . Sandstorm

Hitmontop slams his fists on the ground and he stops spinning suddenly. A gust of sand will kick up wherever Hitmontop’s horn was, and the gust will move forward about three stage builder blocks, disappearing afterwards.

If they opponent is hit with the gust of sand, several bits of the sand will cling onto them, cutting the priority of their attacks in half for seven seconds.

Very important move, as you will usually have a tough time clashing moves together with a foe that can just flail their fists around and win clashes against your moves, destroying your offense. The drawback is that since you braked in order to generate the sandstorm you will have to find the right opportunity to rapid spin again without getting hit. Luckily, it should be a lot easier due to the foe’s reduced priority.

This move doesn’t have any effect if you are not rapid spinning.

Up Special . . . . . Drill Spin

Hitmontop spins even faster, to the point where in the air he falls at the speed of Peach while using her umbrella, with similar maneuverability as well. You keep spinning like this as long as you hold B. Drill spin is an okay recovery at best.

However, if you hit any part of the stage while spinning like this, Hitmontop’s horn will immediately cling onto whatever he could grab, and he has mobility similar to as if he was spinning on the ground.

This might be hard to picture, so let me use an example. Hitmontop is knocked off theleft side of the Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) stage. Using the Up B, Hitmontop is close to the edge, yet he’s just a tad bit under it. Now his horn digs into the side of the stage, and he stays perfectly still. Move the control sticks up towards the stage and Hitmontop will start spinning that way until he reaches the edge and automatically grabs it.

Besides being a decent recovery (depending on the stage), it can be an unexpected way to move around your environment. After five seconds, however, Hitmontop’s horn will suddenly break off the stage, and he will enter free fall. With that in mind, it’s not the best idea to try to stall with this move.

Down Special . . . . . Dig

Hitmontop will drill his head into the ground a short distance almost instantly. He is still in his rapid spin state, yet he can’t move until you press down B again. (You can still fire off attacks, however)

So, what’s the use of this move? Well, Dig is best used as a way to regain your balance or to slow down a bit. You see Hitmontop’s attacks often have him move forward or back slightly, so you could avoid falling to your death by digging every now and then in order to regain your footing.

But a battle-hardened Hitmontop player won’t find this move very effective, so it’s a lot better for the newcomers who don’t want to be self destructing often, at least until they get used to Hitmontop’s playstyle.

<STANDARDS>

Jab . . . . . Spinning Kick

Hitmontop, suddenly and without warning, fires off a spinning kick with both legs, so that he is covered on both sides. Really, all it looks like is that Hitmontop’s legs suddenly stretched out further than normal. The attack does 4% and virtually no knockback, but it’s very quick and safe as well.

Dash Attack . . . . . Rewind

Hitmontop spins forward to about the distance of a battlefield platform (perhaps even further), and spins backwards to about half the distance of a battlefield platform. The move has similar properties to a roll dodge, as Hitmontop will pass straight through any foe or other obstacle during the duration of this move. This all happens in a little under a second.

This move is great for making a quick escape behind the foe, while still staying close enough to keep the pressure going. Just when they think you’re giving them a break, you spin in from the other side…..

<TILTS>

Side Tilt . . . . . Double Hit

Hitmontop swipes one fist in front of him, and shortly afterwards swipes with his other fist behind him, hitting both sides like what he does in his jab. Each swipe hurts the foe for 4%, and has hardly any knockback at all, but it is still a quick option. Hitmontop moves forwards slightly during this.

What makes this move interesting is that while your swiping you can press A while Hitmontop is attacking to make him do his jab (spinning kick) during his tilt, which allows you to pressure foes to no end and rack up damage with ease. Use both in tandem to make Hitmontop a deadly attacking force.

Up Tilt . . . . . Bounce

Hitmontop bounces upwards with a forward momentum, jumping a little under Kirby’s height upwards, while reaching the distance of about a stage builder block horizontally. During this time, any opponent who is hit by Hitmontop’s horn will be dealt multiple piercing hits for about 8% damage.

While the attack is quick just like most of Hitmontop’s other moves, if the opponent predicts it they can simply roll dodge the bounce and retaliate accordingly. But still, the attack is quite useful, especially against the smaller characters who can crouch to avoid most of Hitmontop’s offense.

Down Tilt . . . . . Sand Attack

Hitmontop stops spinning for a brief moment and picks up sand from the ground below. He immediately throws the sand a short distance in front of him, reaching about one and a half battlefield platforms before disappearing.

The sand, like in his side special, cuts the foes priority in half, but for three seconds instead of seven. You still remain spinning so this move is probably the safer, and better, option of the two.

<SMASHES>

Side Smash . . . . . Whirlwind

Hitmontop suddenly brakes as he is charging this smash, with his legs crossing together. Release A and Hitmontop will rapidly spin his legs, creating a gust of wind that pushes foes back, yet does no damage. They will be pushed back two to four builder blocks, depending on how long you charged. This move causes you to stop rapid spinning.

Whirlwind should be used when you have stopped or are about to stop spinning. The distance should push the foe back just enough so you are able to get your spin going again.

Up Smash . . . . . Break dancer

Hitmontop spins across the floor wildly with his legs kicking about as he does so. Any foe close to Hitmontop will be dealt multiple hits for 18-24% damage, along with decent knockback (Finally!). A rare move in the arsenal that can actually KO, plus it’s fairly fast to start up.

Now here’s the drawback: After you spin wildly, Hitmontop is disoriented, and it takes about three to four seconds to recover from this state. Plus, your spin is gone.

Break dancer is a move best used as a tool against a recovering foe, as Hitmontop is relatively safe to fire off his up smash without being punished if he misses.

Down Smash . . . . . High Speed Spin

Hitmontop suddenly spins faster, similar to his up special. It does 10-15% depending on how long you charged, with acceptable knockback. If timed right, this move can reflect projectiles due to Hitmontop’s high-speed spin. The move is quick, too.

Like the forward smash, this move allows you to get some distance between you and your foe. It also proves to be a decent edgeguarding technique like the up smash. However, it can’t do either as well as the other smashes.

<AERIALS>

Neutral Air . . . . . Whirling Spin

Hitmontop slowly spins while airborne, his face actually being somewhat visible now. He falls twice as slow during this time. If Hitmontop successfully lands on the ground without being hit, his rapid spin will be renewed, so he instantly starts to spin again!

Although that sounds nice, the foe will usually try to attack you during this, and it’s practically useless when far away from the heat of battle, since simply rapid spinning again is much, much more reliable.

Forward Air . . . . . Slicing Kicks

Hitmontop will extend his legs forward, and will flail them around, causing backwards knockback (That’s weird…) and about 10% damage. One of the few moves of Hitmontop that has some minor starting lag. It’s priority is good, however, which is quite welcome into the moveset.

Back Air . . . . . Dicing Kicks

Hitmontop extends his legs behind him, and will flail them around, causing forwards knockback (That’s weird…) and about 10% damage. Notice anything odd about this move?

Yes, it’s essentially a backwards version of the forward air, but there’s something else. The knockback of each move sets Hitmontop up perfectly to fire off the other version, essentially creating an infinite until around 90%. So you could use the forward air, and the foe will be sent back so you can then use the back air, then the forward, then the back, etc. You and the foe are both gradually falling downwards, during this, however, so don’t expect this to make Hitmontop’s air game worthwhile.

Up Air . . . . . Pulling Twister

Hitmontop starts spinning rapidly (That’s original!) to create a small twister that he’s inside. Any foe within a smart bomb’s radius will gradually be pulled in, as long as you hold A. Hitmontop will slowly fall downward if you keep holding A.

This move is best used when you’re about to touch the ground, pulling in the opponent so that they’re close enough for you to pressure again.

Down Air . . . . . Pushing Twister

Hitmontop starts spinning rapidly (Again….) and creates a small twister that surrounds himself. This move does the exact opposite of the up air: Rather than pushing foes in, it pulls them out, making it tough for them to approach you while Hitmontop is airborne.

Like the Up Air, if you keep holding A then Hitmontop will still be spinning with the twister surrounding himself.

<GRAB>

Grab . . . . . Spinning Toss

Hitmontop grabs the foe with both legs, wrapping them around their neck, making this helpful for Hitmontop and extremely awkward for the opponent. Once grabbed, rapidly spin the control stick, and Hitmontop will start spinning, going faster the faster you spin the control stick. Press A, and Hitmontop will let go of the foe and they’ll go flying back, the faster you spun, the further they will fly.

The opponent is still able to get out of this like a normal grab. That doesn’t mean the move is useless, though! In fact, it can usually KO reliably around 150% (Which is very good for Hitmontop) if you spin the control stick fast enough.

<FINAL SMASH>

Final Smash . . . . . The top who spun so fast he became a tornado!

Hitmontop, with eyes ablaze, starts to spin so rapidly he forms a giant tornado, in which he is in the eye of. The tornado has a similar size to the fire pillar that Entei creates in Brawl, which is quite big.

All of Hitmontop’s attacks now generate powerful airwaves, each doing 15% as well as having nice knockback. Oh, and they also have there range increased by ten fold, which is a nice little touch. In total the twister lasts for eighteen seconds.

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <PLAYSTYLE>

Hitmontop, who should now be known as the king of pressure, is a quirky little character. He can’t kill well at all, his range is laughable and that priority makes me cry. But he is so persistent when it comes to chasing down his foe and racking up their damage to ridiculous amounts in what seems like seconds. Hitmontop should never be played safe, facing the heat of battle is his only option.

When the match initially begins, you will obviously want to rapid spin as soon as possible. Choosing not to would simply be suicide. Your opponent, chances are, will be cautious about their approach and fire off some safe moves from far away. Your best option would be to keep using down smash, as it reflects projectiles and also has decent knockback and fairly good priority; it’s probably the red-headed stepchild of this moveset, due to it being so different (yet useful) from the average Hitmontop move. Once you are barely within kicking distance, your dash “attack” is probably your best bet to approach reliably.

Now you should be in your comfort zone. All your tilts will prove to be vital at close range; especially your dual attack of both your jab and your forward tilt. Down tilt deserves a special mention for getting the foes priority down to your level; although the side special is an acceptable option if your opponent isn’t too close.

Eventually your spin will slow down and your foe is prepared to take advantage of it. Not to worry, several forward smashes should take care of it, but if they get smart and approach from above, use your speed to spin the heck out of there until you find a safe moment to rapid spin again.

When your foe is within KO range, they will do there best to poke just outside of your reach, fearing a grab. The best method of attack in this situation would be to use an up tilt just over their head, and once landed try to land a grab for all it’s worth.

Hitmontop can have a good recovery, yet it largely depends on the stage. With solid walls on both sides Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) is a great place to show off Hitmontop’s different recovery, yet somewhere like Smashville where Hitmontop can’t get close enough to the stage to grab with his horn will prove to be very effective in deciding the outcome of the match, usually not in Hitmontop's favor.

When playing Hitmontop matches won’t start out easy. He takes a while to get used to, having to suddenly switch between complete offense and complete defense proves to be tricky to balance, yet once mastered you will have a character who can pressure like there’s no tomorrow.

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <TEAM PLAYSTYLE>

In team battles Hitmontop will be dashing in and out of the fray quite often, so it’s best to have a teammate who is flexible enough to do the same.

While spinning you obviously want to be right where the battle is, poking foes with your myriad of options until your spin starts to slow down. Then you proceed to get the heck out of there, supporting your teammate by throwing sand at the foe or blowing them away until you get the opportunity to spin.

Again, Hitmontop needs a flexible teammate who can camp and support as well as do some solid physical damage. Good KO power doesn’t hurt, either. With all this in mind, it seems like the best partner for Hitmontop would probably be Snake. Together they make sort of a tag team, both constantly switching in and out in order to get the most out of their playstyles.

spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin spin . . . . . <#237>

Apemasta'

Smash Cadet
Frf? Good to see ya' around, buddy.

I'd love to issue a formal critique, but I'm a bit pressed for time. All in all, though, I like where these sets are headed. At first glance, Hitmonchan/lee seem a wee bit bland (the latter moreso than the former), but there are some definite jewels, like Hitmonchan's Bair and Hitmonlee's juggle-centric Nair and DSmash. The organization is also great. Easy to read, well color-coded...

Micro-review gives it a thumb's up. Not the most original sets out there, but they fit in perfectly with the rest of the roster.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Hitmonlee OK I think he does just a bit to much damage for some of his attacks one being 23% damage. I know you say he is strong, but he feels just a bit to strong. Then again that could just be me. I think the side special may seem broken if it can KO if it hits the opponent's eyes @__@.

Hitmonchan: Ok the only thing I could think of as I read through the entire moveset was Punch Out -__-. But I have to say implementing the neutral special with the recovery was very nice. I just wish these fighter were not posted after an ocean of Punch Out Characters

Hitmontop: I'm not sure what to say about him, but the side smash seems somewhat powerful seeing how far it pushes away opponents

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+2]Hitmonlee[/size] was a very interesting moveset. You had him inflict effects on the foe as well as a tornado that mixed in with his style. Hitmonlee is definitely a creative moveset for Hitmonlee standards.

[size=+2]Hitmonchan[/size] with the punch-out crew. Nice. I like that Neutral Special and the Side Special. The D-Special is a very creative idea, but I don't know if you would be able to hit a foe with it. Do you perform the punch as soon as you touch the ground?
I think the jab is a bit too broken because of being able to do 6%, instead it should be 4 or 3.
The aerials are all decent though I think the D-air is a wee bit random, though I guess you have no choice.
The F-throw is a very creative one at that, and Hitmonchan's got a creative throw game built into him.

[size=+2]Hitmontop[/size]
Ok, so Hitmontop's Specials have shown his game...
Everything looks pretty decent, but I think that whirlwind is a bit too broken, like 6 Stage Builder Blocks fully charged, even if Hitmontop stops spinning. 6 Stage Builder Blocks is basically a OHKO near an edge I believe (PLEASE TELL ME IF IM WRONG). My next set pushes enemies with SBB proportions but even they don't go that far. If 6 SBBs wasn't game breaking, I'd edit my next set and make them go that far. Overall I actually think the whole Rapid Spin idea is completely uneccesary, better off if you could just double the priority and so on that Top gets from the rapid spin. The set wouldn't be very broken even then, you could just make it Top suffers some lag after attacks like whirlwind.
Out of all the sets, I think Hitmonchamp is my definite favourtie, and that the sets are well made...

Finally, my next set is near completion, but well, I wonder if a style of writing where the attack is mentioned, lag, attack effect, end lag is acceptable? I want to have a good writing style that perhaps makes the set easier to read, err never mind.. better not spam on this page... gota leave comments open for the trio..

Frf

Smash Apprentice
[size=+2]Hitmonlee[/size] was a very interesting moveset. You had him inflict effects on the foe as well as a tornado that mixed in with his style. Hitmonlee is definitely a creative moveset for Hitmonlee standards.

[size=+2]Hitmonchan[/size] with the punch-out crew. Nice. I like that Neutral Special and the Side Special. The D-Special is a very creative idea, but I don't know if you would be able to hit a foe with it. Do you perform the punch as soon as you touch the ground?
I think the jab is a bit too broken because of being able to do 6%, instead it should be 4 or 3.
The aerials are all decent though I think the D-air is a wee bit random, though I guess you have no choice.
The F-throw is a very creative one at that, and Hitmonchan's got a creative throw game built into him.

[size=+2]Hitmontop[/size]
Ok, so Hitmontop's Specials have shown his game...
Everything looks pretty decent, but I think that whirlwind is a bit too broken, like 6 Stage Builder Blocks fully charged, even if Hitmontop stops spinning. 6 Stage Builder Blocks is basically a OHKO near an edge I believe (PLEASE TELL ME IF IM WRONG). My next set pushes enemies with SBB proportions but even they don't go that far. If 6 SBBs wasn't game breaking, I'd edit my next set and make them go that far. Overall I actually think the whole Rapid Spin idea is completely uneccesary, better off if you could just double the priority and so on that Top gets from the rapid spin. The set wouldn't be very broken even then, you could just make it Top suffers some lag after attacks like whirlwind.
Out of all the sets, I think Hitmonchamp is my definite favourtie, and that the sets are well made...

Finally, my next set is near completion, but well, I wonder if a style of writing where the attack is mentioned, lag, attack effect, end lag is acceptable? I want to have a good writing style that perhaps makes the set easier to read, err never mind.. better not spam on this page... gota leave comments open for the trio..
Hitmonlee: Ah, thanks. He was the one I had the most trouble coming up with ideas, actually, so I'm glad it turned out well.

Hitmonchan: Again, thanks. The d special you land on the ground (if you successfully grab it, yet the range is short), and then punch. As for the jab it isn't incredibly fast, just enough for it to be able to rack up damage without too much risk. But yeah, I'll look into tweaking it a bit. Aerials....Yeah, they were more than anything tacked on to each set. Glad they weren't too bad, however. I was glad with how the throws turned out myself.

Hitmontop: I actually haven't built a stage in who knows how long, so my measurements might be broken or underpowered.....Yeah, I guess I'm gonna sneak in an edit for that one. XD As for ditching rapid spin to make top function well without it, it could work, yet I wanted to have Hitmontop have a balance between offense and defense, as Lee is (usually) offense and Chan is defense. More than anything I probably just poorly described the 'Top set, and I knew it would be either very well received or the worst of the three.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, didn't see your post, apemasta. Glad you liked it!

Twilight-Emblem

Smash Apprentice
Finally

Now that I have more time to post, I'll comment on some sets:

@Eeveelutions: Wow, all the evolutions, detailed, unique...Nice. Only thing I would critique is that Espeon seems a bit overpowered
(And have a Super-charged regular attack for a FS!)

@Thief Khee'bler: Now that I've read through it, I stand by my first impression that it's a solid set. However, it seems to both revolve too much around manipulating the mechanic and also uses other characters in the set. What if someone is playing as Black Mage? What if someone makes Fighter? Where is Red Mage? Oh, and the bag of holding doesn't belong to Thief.

@Hitmons: Another rapidpost group of sets from K.Rool? how do you make these so quickly?

Frf

Smash Apprentice
@kirbywizard: Thanks for the comments! Close combat seems powerful, yes, but if you aren't able to cripple your foe in any sort of way it's going to be really hard to aim the crosshair and kick them before they react.

@Twilight-Emblem: You though my sets were K. Rool sets?!? That's the best compliment I've gotten, really! Thank you! :D

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Hitmonlee Was an interesting set. Close Combat was a really out there, weird move; a cursor, a single kick, AND possible OHKO? Seems really weird. Other moves are good, although I was surprised, but not disappointed, to find Hi Jump Kick being the bair, not the uspecial. He's got some interesting move interactions, especially the nspecial dtilt combination, which was absolutely great, but some seemed out of character, I don't see Hitmonlee being exactly a status debuffer. Overall it was good, but the Grab was weird, and there was no real excuse for it being a throwless grab, IMO.

Hitmonchan Was much, much stronger than Hitmonlee. Your conception of the Elemental Punches was great, although I question why random projectiles add a random element, and why I can't, say, block a Falcon Punch and turn on the fire with it. Also, Elemental Swipe is a really weird choice of move for building Elemental energy on your own; it seems odd that it gives you one, and that you can't choose which one you get; I'd like building Elemental power to be a little more intriguing, but it's still very good.

The spacing of the tilts was very interesting, but I didn't see any way for him to really abuse or encourage that spacing, which made it kind of a waste. On the other hand, the Dash Attack was very nice. It seemed kind of unnecessary for the Side Special to be a time limited move to me, and the bair, while very, very cool, isn't that useful, since Hitmonchan doesn't really have a good move to use after using it. Hitmonchan was easily my favorite of the sets though.

Hitmontop was a little weird to me. Sandstorm and Dig seemed like weird specials, and you even say yourself that Dig isn't useful if you know what you're doing; that's a bit of a disappointment. The Dash Attack is odd, but okay. The Down Tilt was very disappointing, especially with Sandstorm already there. The Side Smash was good after the nerf, and clever, and the Fair and Bair were good too. The grab was actually fitting this time. Although, where the hell is Triple Kick? You know, his SIGNATURE MOVE? Bah. Hitmontop was proabably the weakest of the three, too many generic and rehashed moves for a character with so much more potential.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Hitmontop

I must say, this set has three serious problems.

1) First of all, it is generic (though I am aware that the character does have little to work with.
2) Forward Aerial is a mirror of Backward Aerial and Up Aerial is just an opposite to the Down Aerial (though the way the latter pair contributes to his playstyle somewhat makes up for this).
3) The Neutral B is basically just something that Hitmontop should be doing in the first place... it would have been better to simply tone down his speed + priority in comparison to the Rapid Spin stats but make it better than the without rapid spin stats you have. The Down Special is just meant to make Hitmontop easier for casual players to use with little reason to use in competitive play at all.

I also have some minor nitpicks:
1) An infinite with the Fair + Bair until 90% sounds rediculous. That's a lot of potential free damage.
2) The Up Smash is severely underpowered... sure it does a lot of damage and is fast... but 3-4 seconds of dizzy time is rediculous. Reduce to 1 second.
3) The Side Special and Down Tilt are effectively for the exact same purpose with just varying degrees of usefulness. The effect of both is rather... eh. Reduced priority of foes. It would certainly help Hitmontop counter MK atleast. I'ld like there to be another reason to actually use these moves though. Some differentiation would be nice.
4) The Final Smash is really overpowered. For something like this, a duration of about 10 seconds (and that's pushing it) or less would seem more accurate.

Other than these things, the set certainly wasn't bad. The recovery's little stage clinging twist in particular caught my eye as interesting. And I must say that his playstyle is certainly well drawn out. The set is eye-pleasing and has enough detail for one to get the important information down without being excessively long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a set planned for the next page.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Hitmonlee Was an interesting set. Close Combat was a really out there, weird move; a cursor, a single kick, AND possible OHKO? Seems really weird. Other moves are good, although I was surprised, but not disappointed, to find Hi Jump Kick being the bair, not the uspecial. He's got some interesting move interactions, especially the nspecial dtilt combination, which was absolutely great, but some seemed out of character, I don't see Hitmonlee being exactly a status debuffer. Overall it was good, but the Grab was weird, and there was no real excuse for it being a throwless grab, IMO.

Hitmonchan Was much, much stronger than Hitmonlee. Your conception of the Elemental Punches was great, although I question why random projectiles add a random element, and why I can't, say, block a Falcon Punch and turn on the fire with it. Also, Elemental Swipe is a really weird choice of move for building Elemental energy on your own; it seems odd that it gives you one, and that you can't choose which one you get; I'd like building Elemental power to be a little more intriguing, but it's still very good.

The spacing of the tilts was very interesting, but I didn't see any way for him to really abuse or encourage that spacing, which made it kind of a waste. On the other hand, the Dash Attack was very nice. It seemed kind of unnecessary for the Side Special to be a time limited move to me, and the bair, while very, very cool, isn't that useful, since Hitmonchan doesn't really have a good move to use after using it. Hitmonchan was easily my favorite of the sets though.

Hitmontop was a little weird to me. Sandstorm and Dig seemed like weird specials, and you even say yourself that Dig isn't useful if you know what you're doing; that's a bit of a disappointment. The Dash Attack is odd, but okay. The Down Tilt was very disappointing, especially with Sandstorm already there. The Side Smash was good after the nerf, and clever, and the Fair and Bair were good too. The grab was actually fitting this time. Although, where the hell is Triple Kick? You know, his SIGNATURE MOVE? Bah. Hitmontop was proabably the weakest of the three, too many generic and rehashed moves for a character with so much more potential.

Hitmonlee: I'm not sure if you're really critiquing me by saying close combat is weird, but ok. XD At first I wasn't exactly sure whether debuffing your foes stats would work either, but I think that would suit him more than, say, being a lightweight with some powerful moves, like it shows in his base stats in-game. You can execute your tilts during the grab, which I guess some would consider throws. (Honestly though I was planning to have him use traditional grabs and throws, but I needed a way to implement his leg power, so this is what came out instead)

Hitmonchan: For the elemental punches, I was worried if I relied on it too much throughout the set people would think it would be some OOC mechanic. On elemental swipe I was planning on having certain parts of the stage allow hitmonchan to get a certain elemental punch, but I have no excuse for that. :[ That's what I get for making all the sets in three days....

Anyway, glad it was your favorite. To be honest, it's my favorite of the three as well, once I came up with the tilts I knew he would fare well.

Hitmontop: I got my first big criticisms! Bring it, man! >:D

Yeah, I really couldn't think of anything else for the down special. I originally planned on it to give Hitmontop super armor as he stays drilled in place, yet that wouldn't really flow well with his playstyle. Anyway, I'm surprised more people aren't noticing its uselessness.

In my opinion the dash attack really worked well with his playstyle, yet I guess a traditional roll dodge could be easier to use in tough matches. The down tilt is just a different way to get sand on the foe, yeah, but they both work well together, I think. Triple kick his signature move? I think rapid spin is a lot more fitting, in my opinion. (Actually triple kick is exclusive to him, right? Ah, I should've made the jab a bit more fitting to that, then...)

Generic and rehashed moves, yes, but I'm not exactly the kind of guy to come up with lots of unique moves for a character that's practically a living top. :p My least favorite as well, yet I don't think I tarnished his good name.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Why thank for the comments, Chris. Can't wait to see your set, hopefully no one's going to steal the next page XD

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Hitmonlee​

Now this is much more like it. Hitmonlee benefits from the same great organization and sufficient, but not overwritten, detail as Hitmontop, while being much more creative.

In this set, moves that leapt out at me as awesome were- the Side Special, the Up Special, the Down Smash (for its combining with his largely juggle based playstyle), and the Down Aerial.

That said, the set was not without problems:
1) A lot of effects Hitmonlee applies seem broken. 6 seconds of doubling jump and crouch lag for foes from a move that isn't difficult to land is rediculous. 2 seconds maybe. Endless halved falling speed until the foe hits the ground from Down Smash? Geez. That combines a good bit too well with the playstyle. It should have some sort of time limit... and a reasonable one.
2) A OHKO from the Side Special seems rediculous considering that it could be landed by sheer luck. Reduce that to kills at *insert fairly low percent, like 80% for example*. The move doesn't even need the OHKO to be very useful anyway. It seems like an excellent approach and horizontal recovery option.
3) Up Special could have been much better implemented. It seems to have no real reason to remain on the field... you'ld think that foes, items, anything really, that enters the tornado would be shot up just like Hitmonlee. And for that matter, why should Hitmonlee have to press Up B when near the tornado to use it? Also, it might be more reasonable for the tornado to have a time limit for its duration, after which time another tornado can be made, Hitmonlee's up special becoming a generic third jump when he is incapable of creating another.

Of course, those were just some nitpicks. Hitmonlee is a great set by all means and he definitely knows how he wants to play- by juggling the foe to kingdom come. He sounds like a fun character to play and an annoying one to fight. :p

Lord Sakurai

Smash Cadet
On the 6th day of the contest, the evil one makes his return...

First, lets have some fitting music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMX4bkNUysI

The Black Knight

The picture is not a picture of the Knight, but rather a Fire Emblem character with a similar appearance. Differences are explained.

The Black Knight is buffer (his body size is rougly the same as Sephiroth.)
He wears armored greaves, gauntlets, and a chest plate (as well as shoulder guards).
His complete armor and clothes color is black.
The Black Knight is crueler in appearance (though is more human looking than Naesala face-wise.)
He has blood red eyes and long hair as black as his feathered wings.
He wields a huge sword named Megiddo (named after the supposed location for the biblical battle of Armaggedon.) The sword is Knightic in appearance with black steel. It is very large in length and width (any human would surely not have the strength to wield it.)

Story:
The Story Of Marth (Prequel)-
The Black Knight is a powerful Knight of fire. He is Hell's answer to Heaven's Duke Oliver (the arch-most beautiful moveset around :mad:), making The Black Knight the arch-Knight. Not satisfied with his role as Hell's general, he sees himself as more powerful than any other Knight (including Satan.) He seeks to rule the world and enslave all of its inhabitants (effectively causing an early Armaggedon.)
The Black Knight escaped from Hell through a volcanic eruption. His first objective was to reduce the troublesome kingdom of Valios to nothing. Its people were largely religious and would oppose his reign with endless valor. And so he plotted to destroy them by infiltrating their ranks, unleashing their enemies upon them, and finally killing their royal family.
The Black Knight's plans soon became successful. He became the greatest knight in Valios, and personal guard to the King. From this position, it was very easy to betray them. In one fell swoop he opened the city gates, allowing the Kingdom's enemies, the Barborous Legion, to spill in, taking the Valians by surprise (kind of like the Trojan Horse trick) and killed the royal family singlehandedly.
The royal family wasn't completely routed, however, as the king's young son, Marth, was rescued by his uncle. After 15 years of war, The Black Knight was finally overthrown by the prince.
The Story of Ike (Sequel)-
Marth took the throne, uniting both the surviving valians and the Barbourous Legion into one new nation.
The Black Knight's influence didn't end with his defeat, as he was sowing the seeds of chaos. By manipulating the hearts of evil men, he created a rebel group that seeks to kill the new royal family and take the throne for itself. Once this was accomplished, he would make a reappearance and everything would progress quickly from there.
The Black Knight's plan isn't without resistance however. Duke Oliver, the Arch-Most beautiful moveset around :mad:, was sent from Heaven to judge whether the humans are worthly of escaping an early Armaggedon. Should he find a good reason to let them live on until the true end, then he will defeat The Black Knight himself.
Also opposing his plans is the young Ike, son of King Chris. Though he doesn't know the true gravity of the situation, he commands the Valian Army against the rebels.

Personality:
The Black Knight is a pretty sterotypical Knight overlord. He is extremely arrogant, though he certainly has the powers to back it up. With cruelty only surpassed by Satan himself, The Black Knight is not someone you would want to mess with.

Universe:
The Lion's Heart (Original Character)

Universe Symbol:
A golden male lion head (with mane) roaring over a white cross background on a flag.

To Unlock:
Play 666 vs. matches.
Or
Defeat him the SSE.
Or
Beat Boss Battles with Ike

Unlock Message:
The Black Knight, the Knight of fire, has returned!

Wii-Mote Sound:
The Black Knight says "The end is near..."

Outfit:
The Black Knight only has two outfits:
#1- True The Black Knight- His normal outfit shows his true form.
#2- Old The Black Knight- This was his appearance during the Knight's War against Marth. He is fully armored with bulky black armor and a helmet to hide his face.
Colors-
Black (default for both)
Red
Green
Blue
Gold
Steel
Outfit color changes his armor/clothes color completely.

Playstyle:
The Black Knight relies on relative balance to win. His weapon attacks are quite lengthy, but much of his power lies in fire.

Neutral Special is your primary projectile. Fairly spammable and effective, it is great for keeping opponents on the defensive. Most opponents will shield this move, so use your grab to punish them.

Side Special is mostly a secondary projectile. Decent for keeping your opponents off the ground and in their air, where your game is at its strongest.

Up Special is a decent killing and defensive move, though its primary function is to recover.

Down Special is a decent move for projectile defense and a useful way to deal damage. Mostly useful against Bowser and Charizard, being able to stop their Neutral Special and then punish them for it.

F-Tilt is a good move for KO's due to its great knockback, great range, and fairly fast speed (compared to most of your slow attacks.)

Up-Tilt is great for anti-air defense.

Down-Tilt is a superb damage dealer due to its reach and speed.

Down Smash is probably your best smash overall due to its good hitboxes, fastest overall speed of your smashes, and effective knockback. Your other 2 smashes are mostly for scoring vertical KO's or possible chaining into aerials.

Nair is a good projectile move, as well as as a useful method of self-defense.

Fair is good for scoring spike KOs. It really shines during your Final Smash, when you can spike opponents into the lava.

Bair is mostly for defending your back, but it is a good move for gimping recovery's (though this can be tricky to master due to it being a Bair instead of a Fair.)

Uair is mostly useful for defending yourself from above, though it is a decent KO move. Definitely not a good move for juggling though.

Dair is a useful edge-guard and area blocker. It does serve as a projectile, but doing so is often not worth it. Use with caution, or else you may lose many important moves.

You are the only character that has a projectile grab. The trade off is that it is very predictable with its high beginning lag. Try to use in tandem with your Neutral Special. Predict when your opponent is going to shield and take advantage of it. Once they are grabbed, use your powerful F-Throw as a KO move.

Your Final Smash is useful, but don't allow yourself to be knocked into it. Unfortunately this is one of the worst FS's in the game in a doubles match, as your partner will not be spared. Team up with someone with a long-term recovery like Pit or R.O.B. to lesson this. Of course, this isn't even applicable in tournaments and other high-end competition, so this doesn't even matter.

Overall, you should focus on the air. The Black Knight's smashes (atleast 2/3 of them) give sizable vertical knockback, allowing you to take to the skies and finish your pitiful opponent. D-Smash to Fair can be a decent combo, allowing you to spike your opponent to their death. This is of course reliant on location and damage percentages. Your spike isn't the best one in the world, so you may want to go with a traditional damage and kill. An RAR Bair will help you gimp your opponent, sending them to the grave faster. A Dair used on the edge is also decent for edge-guarding, but it will leave you without a sizable amount of your moves. Your not the best camping character in the world, but you have the ability to camp. Take advantage of your great variety of projectiles and use them to keep your opponent busy dodging and shielding.

Unique Mechanics:
Shield of Fire-
The Black Knight's shield burns those who get to close, dealing 1% per second to them. This shield, unlike others, takes high damage from water based attacks and moves such as the FLUDD.
Wings of Darkness-
You can extend your jumps horizontal range by moving the control stick at the top of your jump. For five seconds after each of your 2 jumps you can freely fly left and right, using aerials freely. You must hold a jump button to do this.
Flying (Not Really)-
The Black Knight flies around, just like Mewtwo in melee floats. This makes him unaffected by traction.
Ignition-
All of The Black Knight sword based attacks have a lingering effect with fire based animations, similar to Lucario's aura animations.
Projectile Grab-
Yeah you heard me! Your grab is a projectile! This is balanced out with high beginning lag and predictability. You have to play smart to make full use of this.

Stats:
Height- 4/5 (A bit larger than human size, but not much.)
Weight- 3/5
"Walking" Speed- 1/5
"Dashing" Speed- 2/5
Average Attack Speed- 2/5
Reach- 4/5
Power- 4/5
Priority- 3/5
First Jump- 5/5
Second Jump- 5/5
Falling Speed- 2/5
Recovery- 4/5
Final Smash- 4/5
Traction- N/A
Dodges- 4/5
Crouch- None
Wall Jump- Yes
Wall Cling- No
Crawl- No
Glide- Yes

Basic Animations:
Basic Pose- Stands in a relatively normal fashion, holding Megiddo in his right hight.
Idle Pose- Plants Megiddo into the ground. Flames occassionally burst around him (dealing one hit of 1% damage to adjacent characters.)
Walking- The Black Knight walks very slowly in a badass fashion.
Running- Flies forward with his wings, just inches above the ground.
First Jump- Jumps up, using his wings to extend height.
Second Jump- Same as first.
Glide- Extends his wings outwards at max wing spawn and dashes forward horizontally.
Crouching- None
Shield- A huge wall of flames appears around the Knight, protecting him. The flames noticeably dissipate as this shield weakens.
Sidestep- Barely steps to the side.
Forward Roll- Flies forward quickly. Same distance as Mewtwo's forward roll.
Back Roll- Flies backwards quickly. Same distance as Mewtwo's back roll.
Air Dodge- Flies to the side slightly.

Miscellanious Animations:
Dizzy- Closes his eyes and places his hand on his head (almost looks like a facepalm.)
Sleeping- Kneels and plants Megiddo into the ground.
Weapon Carry- Holds weapons the same way as he wields Megiddo.
Homerun Animation- Smashes the bat downwards with amazing force, using only one hand.

Specials:
Neutral B- Blaze
A large flame radiates around The Black Knight's left hand. Hold the B button to aim the direction of this projectile. When you release B, The Black Knight will throw the flame, which splits into 6 smaller fireballs. These fireballs have a limited ability to home in on targets, though they will pass by the foe if sidestepped/aerial dodged. The beginning lag of this attack is low (not counting aim time). The ending lag is fairly low. The projectiles reach up to half of FD. The flight speed of the projectiles is a bit faster than one of Mario's fireballs. The knockback is very small (barely more than a flinch), taking nearly 999% damage to KO with one. Each fireball deals 1% damage, for a potential damage of 6% total. If one of these projectiles is reflected, then they will head back in the direction they came from, homing in just like usual on the nearest person in their line of fire.

Side B- Eruptions (Not Ike's)
The Black Knight plants Megiddo into the ground with one hand. A chain of eruptions then starts occuring from the point the sword was planted, progressing all the way across the surface you were on (making its range variable based on where you are.) Each eruption has a hitbox roughly the same as The Black Knights body (though a bit shorter.) This is the slowest ground based projectile in the game, so it gets progressively more predictable based on distance. Unlike Link's sword plant, The Black Knight effortlessly removes Megiddo from the ground. The beginning and ending lag of this move is low. The reach of the projectile is variable, reaching all the way from your current position to the edge of your current platform. The knockback is decent. The priority is very high. The "flight" speed is half the speed of the Ice Climber's Ice block projectile (maybe even less). This projectile deals 10% damage. You have Super Armor while you plant the Megiddo into the ground.

Up B- Fiery Haze
The Black Knight releases a huge explosion of fire around himself, dealing 9% damage and great knockback to anyone caught in it. The blast radius of this explosion is large, about the size of Bowser. This leaves behind a thick cloud of smoke, hiding the Knight. He soon flies straight in the controlled direction, gaining considerable distance in that direction. His wings are dripping with fire, damaging anyone struck by them. The wings deal low knockback and 5% damage. This also releases small flames that strike for 1% damage and flinching. The beginning lag is average. The ending lag is low. The recovery distance is 3/4 the distance of Charizard's Up B. You are invinceable while in the smoke.

Down B- Inferno
While you hold B, The Black Knight is surrounded by an aura of fire, dealing 1% per second and flinching to anyone adjacent to him. While you use this, you deflect (not reflect) projectiles. Releasing B causes him to cast his hand forward, releasing a blazing inferno of fire that works like a one shot version of Bowser's Neutral B. This deals 8% damage and low knockback and has the same reach as Bowser's Neutral B. The beginning lag and ending lag of this move is low. The priority of this move is high.

Normal Attacks:
Infinite A- Orbiting Flames
The Black Knight stands in place, looking like a badass. He folds his arms and looks like he isn't even trying to fight. Suddenly 6 huge flames appear around him and start orbiting him like the planets orbit the sun. These flames are a decent distance away from him (close enough to protect him from the sides but far away enough to have decent reach). This move lasts for as long as you hold the A button. The flames deal 2% damage per second and very little knockback to anyone that gits in their hitbox. Use DI to escape. This move has average priority. This move has average lag on both ends. Any projectiles that hit him are literally disentegrated by the intense flames . The Black Knight is vulnerable to aerials while using this move.

Dash Attack- Vanish
The Black Knight disappears quickly and then reappears a good distance (about 1/3 of a quickdraw) ahead. He is now facing the direction he came from. He will then launch a fireball using both of his hands (kind of like a Kamehameha for those of you who watch DBZ). The intent of this is to go through the opponent and then hit them from behind. This fireball goes a good distance (half of FD) and strikes for 5% damage and low knockback.

Tilts:
Forward- Megiddo Slash
The Black Knight yawns and then slashes downwards with Megiddo. He barely puts any effort into this slash, but it still possesses tremendous strength. This has high beginning lag for a tilt and fairly low ending lag. The reach is high. The priority is good. This move deals 10% damage and great horizontal knockback.

Up- Hellfire Breath
The Black Knight looks up and breathes fire. This has the reach of Bowser's Neutral B (though above you). This move deals 2% damage per second for 3 seconds and very little knockback. This move has low lag on both ends. Great move for protecting yourself from above.

Down- Flipping Edge
The Black Knight brings his sword down to the ground, then quickly performs a high-flipping slash. This has roughly the same hitbox as Ike's Up Smash, though it is less powerful and has a greater vertical reach. This move has fairly low lag on both ends. This deals 7% damage and average knockback (the foe is knocked upwards if they are in front of or above you and horizontally if they are behind you.)

Smashes:
Forward- BURN!
The Black Knight casts his hand forward and says "Burn." As if commanded by him, a "geyser" of flame appears in front of him, going a good vertical distance up. This has decent horizontal reach and protects you from frontal attacks and projectiles. This move has above average lag on both ends. The priority of this is very high. Deals 11...16% damage and great vertical knockback.

Up- Ash Blast
One of the deadliest parts of an eruption is the tower of ash that is released. As The Black Knight faces the screen and raises arms up, a volcano appears and explodes behind him (in the background), releasing a pillar of smoke and ash. This has high beginning lag and average ending lag, making it the slowest of The Black Knight's smashes. The reach is great, going about a body-length above The Black Knight. This deals 14....19% damage and high vertical knockback.

Down- V Split
A flame appears around The Black Knight's sword. He slams the sword into the ground. This results in two seperate streams of fire, going diagonally in both directions, forming a "V" shape. This has good reach and is the fastest of The Black Knight's smashes with average beginning lag and fairly low ending lag. The priority of this move is good. This deals 10...15% damage and good diagonal knockback (the knockback being the same as the direction of the flames you got hit by.)

Aerials:
Nair- 6 Flames of Hell
6 flames appear in all directions around The Black Knight (1 above, 1 below, 1 northeast, 1 northwest, 1 southeast, 1 southwest). The flames then fly straight in their respective directions, going half the distance of FD before disappearing. Their flight speed is rather slow, slower than a Mario fireball, but they do serve a good purpose of protecting The Black Knight. Great priority. Average lag on both ends. Each flame deals 5% damage and low knockback.

Fair- Burning Blade
The Black Knight brings his sword in front of him. A giant flame is given off by the the fell sword. This flame extends making a giant sword shape. The Black Knight slams down the sword, spiking his target downwards. High reach and priority. This has above average ending lag on both ends. If you are close to Megiddo, you take 14% damage. If you are farther away from the sword, you take 9% damage. This move is awesome while your Final Smash is active, as it allows you to force opponents into the burning lake.

Bair- Fell Wings
Flaps his wings, releasing gale force winds behind hiim. This deals no damage, instead acting like the FLUDD and pushing the foe a great distance back. Mainly used to protect from rear attacks. Low lag on both ends.

Uair- Burst Blade
The Black Knight raises his sword into the air. A giant flame is given off by the fell sword. This flame extends making a giant sword shape. High reach and great priority. This has fairly high lag on both ends, making it The Black Knight's slowest aerial. If you are close to Megiddo, you take 16% damage and great knockback. If you are farther away from the sword, you take 11% damage and good knockback.

Dair- The Sword of Hell
Just like the sword of heaven being thrown down to guard the entrance of Eden, The Black Knight throws down his sword to destroy his enemies. This move starts off fast. The Black Knight throws his sword down. It flies at a fairly fast speed. If it hits an opponent, or solid ground, it sticks to its target and releases a huge burst of flame. The final hit box is rougly the size of Bowser. This attack has projectile range and deals 14% damage and great knockback. This is a high risk-high reward attack, because if the sword should fall off the stage, you will be left unable to use sword attacks for the remainder of that stock. If the sword sticks into a person, it will return to you, even if it KO's them. If it sticks into the stage, you will have to retrieve it. Fortunately, only you can retrieve it. The sword continues burning after hitting the ground, so anyone who comes close enough to it, except for you, takes 6% damage and low knockback. While you lack your sword you will be unable to perform dair, fair, d-tilt, d-smash, side B and uair. This is an excellent move for edge-guarding and for blocking off certain parts of the stage.

Miscellanious Attacks:
Ledge Attack- Flame Foot
Ash jumps up kicks his foe as his leg bursts into flame. Low lag on both ends. Good reach. Good priority. 6% damage and decent knockback.

Get Up Attack- Hell Aura
The Black Knight jums up and is surrounded by an aura of flames. This deals 3 hits of 2% damage. Decent reach. Low lag on both ends. Great priority.

Grabs/Throws:
Grab- Burning Earth
The Black Knight has one of the most unique grabs in the game. This auto-targets the nearest foe. The Black Knight points at the nearest foe. The ground below them glows bright red. In about 1.3 seconds (giving them time to react), they are stuck to the ground. The Black Knight then flies to that foe very quickly. This is effectively a projectile grab. This grab is just as easy to escape from as a normal grab. This has low beginning lag but high ending lag.

Grab Attack- Incinerate
The Black Knight's hand lights on fire. He says "Now.... You Burn." He then grabs the foe and they are set on fire. This has very low beginning lag for a grab attack, and deals 6% damage to compensate for it.

F-Throw- Burning Touch
The Black Knight's index finger (left hand) lights on fire. He says "Pathetic... I'll only need one finger to kill you." He then touches them with the flaming digit, dealing 6% damage and sending them flying as far horizontally as Mewtwo's Up-Throw launches people vertically. High beginning lag for a throw, so may be useless in FFA's.

Back Throw- Backstab
The Black Knight disappears and reappear's behind the trapped foe. He then stabs them in the back with his sword. Deals 10% damage but low knockback.

Up Throw- Erupt
Ash lifts one hand in the air. An eruption happens under his foe's feet, sending them flying in the air. Great vertical knockback and 7% damage.

Down Throw- The End
Ash knocks his foe to the ground. He then stabs them with his sword. 12% damage and no knockback.

None of these grabs/throws can chain.

Final Smash:
The Lake Of Fire-
"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone."
~Revelations 20:15
The Black Knight calls upon the lake of fire, covering the entire main area of the stage in fire. Anyone who comes into contact with this (including The Black Knight and his allies) are struck for the same damage and knockback as the lava/acid on Metroid stages. The Black Knight gains permanent flight during this Final Smash. Use this to pursue foes and hit them with your specials and aerial attacks.
This lasts for 20 seconds.

Taunts:
Up- Knight Roar
The Black Knight flaps his wings and lets out a terrifying roar that could even strike fear into the heart of Link.
Side- Number of the Beast
The Black Knight plants his sword into the ground. Suddenly 3 red 6's appear burning into the blade of his sword.
Down- Arrogance
The Black Knight says "None of you are worthly."

Lose Pose:
The Black Knight claps in a sarcastic manner. Once his opponent is done speaking, he says "Now, witness true power!" He throws a huge fireball at the victor, which the victor dodges. It hits the camera, killing the announcer. 666 DAMAGE!

Victory Pose:
Up- Skies Of Darkness
The skies blacken. The world is covered in fire. The Black Knight flies through the night sky, laughing at the fate of humanity.
Side- The Pain of Loss
All of the match's losers are set on fire! A chair of bones rises from the ground. The Black Knight sits back and watches his opponent's become extra crispy.
Down- Pathetic Souls
In a tribute to Nightmare, The Black Knight says "YOUR PATHETIC SOULS ARE WORTHLESS!"

Pros:
Good recovery.
Powerful.
Great reach.
A useful assortment of projectiles.
Great edgeguarding move (Dair).
Powerful Final Smash.
Possesses a spike.
Can glide.

Cons:
Large target
Light for his size
Attacks tend to be slow.
Dair is risky and can leave you without several important moves (D-Tilt, D-Smash, Fair, Uair, Side Special, Dair).
Lacks the ability to wall jump, wall cling, and crawl.

Extras:

Stages:
Castle Lionheart-
Castle Lionheart is the home of the Valian Royal Family. In this stage, you fight in the courtyard. Unfortunately for everyone in the match, a battle is going on at the moment.
Stage Layout- A basic flat layout. With walk off-edges.
Stage Effects:
Stage Effect 1-
Rebel soldiers enter the battlefield. They are hard to defeat and consists of several types:
Sword Soldier- Specializes in quick, weak attacks.
Spear/Halberd Soldier- Specializes in well balanced, far reaching attacks.
Axe/Mace Soldier- Specializes in powerful, slow attacks.
Bow Soldier- Specializes in projectiles.
Stage Effect 2-
A catapult is fired, launching a boulder into the battlefield. 20% damage and high knockback
Stage Effect 3-
A volley of arrows is fired on the stage, producing an effect equal to the volley game in the Wario Ware stage. Before this happens, you hear a commander scream... "ARCHERS... GET READY...VOLLEY!"

Hell-
After being defeated by Marth, The Black Knight was sent back to hell. You do not want to fight him on his home turf.
Stage Layout- A basic layout, perfectly tourney legal. More specifically, the layout is a mostly flat surface with several stalagmite/stalagtite (whichever one comes out of the floor) platforms. In the background you can see a lake of fire and many Knights flying around.
Stage Effects- None

Music:
Requiem For A Dream
Indestructible- Disturbed
Stricken- Disturbed
Did My Time- Korn
Falling Away From Me- Korn
Breaking The Habit- Linkin Park
In The End- Linkin Park
Bodies- Drowning Pool
Through The Fire And The Flames- Dragonforce

Items:
Valian Trumpet- Calls in 3 soldiers. They aren't hard to defeat.
Dagger- A fast weak melee weapon. Does great damage when thrown.
Torch- A burning torch. Lights opponents on fire, dealing extra damage on contact.
Valian Spear- A flag attached to a spear. Makes you fall more slowly and provides long reaching attacks.
Halberd- An axe with a long reaching attack. It has a sourspot and a sweetspot.
Megiddo- The sword of Hell! Pick this up and you will instantly be possessed, gaining The Black Knight's moveset for 30 seconds.

Assist Trophies:
Band Of Legacy-
One of the lesser members of The Band Of Legacy appears and joins the frey.
Lucas-
Lucas enters the fight saying "You need my help already?" *facepalms* "Oh, all right."
Lucas fights aggressively with a broad sword, using a moveset just like Sam's. His artificial intelligence is very good and he is invinceable, so don't count on getting rid of him.
After 20 seconds he says "All right... I'm leaving. Try not to call for my help to soon."
He then leaves the match.
Siegmund-
Siegmund enters the fight and says "Looks like you could use my help."
He then fights using a moveset nearly identical to Ike's (with the Up Special replaced by a more Marthlike move). He is invinceable and has good AI, so don't count on phazing him. He leaves after 20 seconds.
Before leaving he says "Don't be afraid to ask for my help again."
Dan-
Dan enters the fight saying "Looks like its business as usual..."
He fights using a moveset nearly identical to Pit (without the ability to control his arrows and no annoying HY-YAYAYAYA sound on the side B). He is invinceable and has good AI. He leaves after 20 seconds.
Before leaving he says "Sorry. This fight is getting to boring for me."
Connor-
Connor enters the fight and says "Here goes nothing...."
He then charges off the stage, failing to do anything useful.
General Garrett appears and says "Hah! Connor sucks."
General Garrett then joins the fight using a moveset that focuses heavily on stabs, utilizing the weapon's long reach and balanced stats. He is invinceable and has good AI, but leaves after 20 seconds.
Before leaving, General Garrett says "I must be going. I have another battle to attend."
Adam-
Adam enters the fight saying "Lets get this over with."
Adam uses a lance based moveset consisting of both stabs and weapon swings that utilize the weapons long reach and good power, but relatively slow speed. He is invinceable and has good AI, but leaves after 20 seconds.
Before leaving his says "Well that was easy."

Kirby Hat:
Kirby gains The Black Knight's long black hair and a miniature version of his black outfit, as well as the black-feathered wings.
When Kirby uses Blaze he yells "Fya!"

Codec Conversation:
Snake: Oh, Hell!
Octacon: What?
S- I'm fighting a Knight.
O- Thats The Black Knight, the arch-Knight.
S- Whats he doing in this fight.
O- Simple.... he's going to kill you.
S- As if... I'm going to kill him first.
O- I hope so, Snake. The entire world may be at stake.

Crowd Cheer:
The crowd screams in agony. The Black Knight laughs at their demise.

Trophies:
Ike- The son of Marth, king of Valios. At the young age of 18, Ike is a young, inexperienced commander with great potential. Though he is arrogant at times and often really laid-back, he is a self-less hero at heart. Sam's elite group is known as the Band of Legacy.

Lyndis- A 16-year-old girl with a fiery personality. Orphaned when she was an infant, she was left at the doorstep of the Royal Knight's Academy, where she has been raised since. With the help of the headmasters, she has become a skilled fencer, specializing in rapier combat. She is often a bit rude to Sam, criticizing him as being a pampered prince (and it really doesn't help that he has hit on her multiple times). Despite this, she is willing to help because she loves her country.

The Black Knight- Chris defeated this Knight 20 years ago in single combat, sending the Knight back to hell. To Chris, and every other human on earth for that matter, The Black Knight's motives are largely unknown. The Black Knight is Hell's answer to Duke Oliver, the arch-most beautiful moveset around :mad: (making The Black Knight the arch-Knight). The Black Knight believed that he was truely the most powerful of Knights and went to earth to enslave all of its inhabitants, causing Armaggedon early. With his new sword, the huge blade of Hell, Megiddo, and a complete dominance over the element of fire, this Knight will rule all humanity at any cost.

Siegmund- A skilled broadsword wielding knight. He is the oldest member of the Band of Legacy by far and was appointed by Chris to be Sam's superior officer. Calm, composed, and talented.

Lucas- A long sword wielding knight of great talent. He is very rude towards Sam, who he considers to be an inferior. Despite being very lazy, he can come in handy at times on the battlefield, but he is far from reliable.

Dan- The group comedian or sorts, Dan wields a bow and is quite an expert shot. When he runs out of arrows, Dan attacks with two short blades.

Adam- A member of the Band of Legacy, Adam is an accomplished wielder of lances and other polearms. Adam's personality doesn't really take any extremes, making the most adequate description of his personality "normal."

Connor- The trainee member of the Band of Legacy. He wields a spear, but not very well. The only reason why he was even invited was because Sam got a good laugh out of watching his failure. His lack of ability has lead General Garrett to coin the phrase "Conner sucks."

Duke Oliver- This member of The Band Of Legacy is shrouded in mystery. He pretty much appeared out of nowhere, quickly becoming recognized as one of the most powerful knights in the nation. He wields a very long sword with expert grace. Though almost nothing is known about him, he is trustworthy and noble, easily one of the Band's most reliable members. In truth, he is the arch-most beautiful moveset around :mad: Duke Oliver, sent from Heaven to judge whether humanity was worthly of escaping the early Armaggedon that The Black Knight plots.

Marth- 20 years ago, he was the Prince of Valios who fought in the great war, which has now become known as the Knights War. It was his blade that slew the Knight, The Black Knight. Time has made him weaker, though he still possesses strength greater than that of the average human. He is the father of Sam.

Ryann Trueshot- The mother of Ike. In her younger years, she was reknowned as the best archer in the land. She has been a close friend of Chris ever since the beginning of The Knights War, and hasn't left his side since. They were married shortly after that war ended.

Arden Marten- Chris's cousin and Sam's uncle. Arden has been promoted to commander of the capital city guard and has remained a very competent spearman. Similarities between the halberd and the spear have allowed Sam to take some lessons from Arden. Arden is infamous for being a womaniser, though he has really just been searching for the right woman.

Travis- One of Chris's best friends. This talented halberd wielding knight has been promoted to the ranks of general. He has tought Sam how to become an expert at halberd combat. He is very intelligent, but if you call him a nerd, he will kick your ***.

John- One of Chris's friends. This mace knight has been promoted to the ranks of a general. Personality wise, he is rather normal, but he lacks a since of humor.

Gawain- Unlike most of Chris's friends, Gawain is rather shy. Despite this, he is talented with a longsword and has become a respected general.

Garrett- True to his name, which means "strong with a spear", this snide and arrogant friend of Chris does indeed wield a spear. He is known as the relentless Valian general, because he is a bit more aggressive than the other great Valian generals. Somehow no matter how rude he is to others, they usually like him back.

Catlin- This friend of Chris believes that speed is greater than power, and his quick axe style reflects it. Despite his status as a general, he is often teased for his horrible looking mullet. His personality can best be described as eccentric.

The Most beautiful moveset around :mad: Of Death- The infamous leader of the Legion Rebel group. Little is known about this man, but he is greatly feared by many. He appears on battle wielding a scythe and wearing chain mail (which is hidden by black robes.) He is a force to be reckoned with, as many soldiers have learned the hard way. His only desire is to kill, and he wants to be king only to command the valian armies and use them to take many innocent lives. Because of his abilities and simple-minded desire he has become known as "The Most beautiful moveset around :mad: of Death."

Stickers:
Ike- Weapon +30
Lyndis- Weapon +20
Marth- Slashing +30
Ryann Trueshot- Projectiles +30
The Black Knight- Fire +50
The Most beautiful moveset around :mad: of Death- Darkness +30
Lucas- Weapon & Slashing +30, Sleep Duration +50%
Connor- You automatically suck.
Siegmund- Knockback +30%
Adam- Spear +20
Dan- Projectiles +20
Duke Oliver- Light/Energy +50
Garrett- Double damage on stabbing/piercing attacks and specials (including arrows).
Catlin- Movement speed doubles.
Gawain- Sword +30
John- Blunt +30
Travis- Adds tipper bonus.
Arden- Spear +30

Related Event Matches:
#50- Knight From Hell
Playable Characters- Ike
Objective- Defeat The Black Knight (Boss)
Stage- Hell
Song- Through The Fire And The Flames (Dragonforce)

Bosses:
The Black Knight-
Sam's dad defeated him, but will Sam also have to face one of Hell's strongest Knights?

Attacks-
Flaming Sword- The Black Knight's sword is ignited for the entire fight, causing a lingering effect after all slashes.

Knight Slashes- Basic sword attacks used randomly during the fight. The knockback is small. Each slash has noticeable lag. 5>20%

Apocalypse Slash- The Black Knight lifts his sword high above his head and slams it into the ground, creating a huge eruption of fire (like a fully charged Roy Neutral B in Melee except bigger.) Very high knockback, can OHKO in Intense. Very slow attack with great reach.
20>50%

Knightic Assault- A basic horizontal slash made while flying to the opponent (like Quickdraw). Decent knockback. Similar to Ridley's flying attack. 10>30%

Hellfire Aura- An aura of flame temporarily surrounds him, hurting foes in melee range (lasts 5 seconds). 1%>5% per second

Inferno Edge- Sends a wave of fire out of his sword that travels straight across the stage. Good knockback. The wave flies slightly slow. 10>20%

Rising Volcano- Points forwards with his sword. A burst of molten fire erupts under his opponent's location. Very high knockback. Similar to one of Rayquaza's attacks, but slower and with greater power and width. 20>50%

Lake of Fire- The Black Knight's strongest attack by far. The Black Knight raises his sword in the air and says "Now... go to hell!" The background of the stage becomes the color of lava, and a giant wave of fire and burning sulfur heads right for the stage. The only way to avoid this move is to properly sidestep/airdodge/roll at the exact time the move would hit. If you don't dodge this, you will be OHKO'd.! The move doesn't do a set damage amount, instead bringing your characters damage percentage right to 666% if it hits, but damage doesn't matter because of the massive knockback.

Hp- 600>3000
Size- Rougly that of Ganondorf. Wingspan is between 10-20 feet.
Mobile- Yes
Difficulty- 5/5 (A real pain in the ***.)

Subspace Emissary Role:
To Be Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom