• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE!

Smash Hero
great sets guys, Im gonna be doing a second try at a...good moveset here :p

expect yet another pokemon :chuckle:

n88

Smash Lord
expect yet another pokemon :chuckle:
:urg:

Slugma looks pretty interesting. I love the specials in particular.

The only real problem I have with this set is that some standard attacks blur the line between standard and speical attacks, but that's to be expected with all sets now, including my own.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Slugma seems like Snake, but sacrificed his air game for control on the ground. I really like the magma effect, it sure isn't pikmin overwhelming but it does the job well. His down tilt seems to be the only useless move in the whole set. But great moveset and for one of my favorite pokemonz

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Slugma did not dissapoint!

The magma effect and gastro acid made for an interesting playstyle that would feel very fun to play in a real smash bros game.

I liked just about every single move in the set. Harden was simply brilliant, as was the multiple interactions with gastro acid. There were so many simple but clever ideas such as turning around to "crash" during heat-wave or the hopping during slug bomb. The lliving pile of magma had more potential than I thought and you used it quite well.

For the most part I found your writiny style very readable, being well-detailed without droning on, and there were some silly jokes that made it all the more friendly.

So yeah, great work. I look forwards to your next set. =)

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm impressed. When I saw Slugma, my first thought was, "SLUGMA? How the heck is Slugma supposed to fit into Brawl?" Then I read the moveset, and you really did make him fit in. Very creative. I'm not good at critique, though, so I'll leave that to the experts.

Speaking of critique, I'd appreciate some for the changes I made to my Roserade set :(

IvoryFlame

Smash Journeyman
Slugma is great. I love the magma dynamic, and how you made a seemingly limited character and made not just a competent moveset, but an exemplary one. This may be the Wispa of MYM6.

In sadder news, I have abandoned my mission on Les Claypool. After feedback from a local Primus fan, who claimed he no longer wanted to have his name attached, I realized I wasn't doing him justice and abandoned the project, lest I disrespect the artist with a lackluster set.

Good news is, I can speed up production on Green Goblin and my two secret sets. :)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The generic character joins the Brawl.

Overview
Everyone knows the generic character. He’s lazy, inattentive, and unoriginal. He comes in many forms, but when he braves the Smash Bros. stage, he takes the form of Mr. Smith from The Matrix.

Stats
GC is an all-around character. He is, in every aspect, average.

Neutral Attacks

Neutral A Combo: Punch-Punch-Kick:
GC punches once, dealing 3% damage, punches again, dealing 2% damage, and kicks, dealing 5% damage. Little knockback with each hit.

Forward Tilt: Punch:
GC punches… again. 6% damage, low knockback.

Up Tilt: Punch Up:
GC throws his fist into the air. 8%, low knockback.

Down Tilt: Kick Down:
GC does a kick that circles the area around him. 3%, low knockback, small range.

Dash Attack: Dive:
GC does a dive at the opponent. 10%, medium knockback, small endlag.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash: Arm Thrust:
GC holds his arm back as he charges the attack, and thrusts it forward upon release. 11% uncharged, 20% fully charged. Medium-high knockback.

Up Smash: Headbutt:
GC throws his head back as he charges, and does a headbutt. 15% uncharged, 23% fully charged. High knockback, small ending lag.

Down Smash: Chargeable Kick Down:
GC kicks down again, but the attack is chargeable this time. While charging the attack, GC bends his knees, but the attack has the same animation as the Down Tilt when released. 13% uncharged, 19% fully charged. Medium-high knockback.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Sex Kick:
GC performs a sex kick. 11% upon release, 5% over time. Low knockback.

Forward Aerial: Air Kick:
GC kicks forward. 9%, low knockback.

Back Aerial:
THIS MOVE HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO LEGAL ISSUES.​

…Not really, the B-Air just sucks.

Up Aerial: Up Air Kick:
GC turns upside-down and kicks upward. 13%, medium knockback.

Down Aerial: Spike:
GC punches downward. This is a spike attack. 14%.

Specials

Neutral Special: Chargeable Punch:
Exactly identical to DK’s Neutral Special.

Side Special: Projectile:
GC launches a projectile. 10%, medium knockback.

Up Special: Spin:
GC spins. 14%, Medium-high knockback.

Down Special: Smash:
GC jumps into the air in front of him, and then smashes back to the ground. If he’s in the air, he’ll just go straight down. 18%, high knockback.

Grab/Throws

Grab:
GC grabs the opponent.

Pummel:
GC knees the opponent. 2% per knee.

Forward Throw:
GC throws the opponent forward. 9%

Back Throw:
GC throws the opponent behind him. 8%

Up Throw:
GC throws the opponent upwards. 10%

Down Throw:
GC throws the opponent into the ground in front of him. 11%

Final Smash

Don’t care. This is SWF, not “smashbroswithitemsonhighonwarioware.com”.

Eh, I might edit one into the set if I have enough time to kill.

EDIT: Okay, I decide to add one.

LANDMASTER.

Just like Fox's, but with a subtle change. Hope you enjoyed the edit.

Playstyle
Generic character is generic.

***​

I worked hard on this moveset, so you guys had better give me some good reviews.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Awesome set, has the best chance of being in Brawl. Oh wait, it already is in Brawl in the form of Mario. Still awesome.

Lord Sakurai

Smash Cadet
The generic character joins the Brawl.
I am humbled by your amazing moveset, Clownbot! I would never have thought of charging a move in the air or having the forward air be a projectile! I am currently trying to secure the right to this "Mr. Smith"'s appearance so your Generic Character can be in Super Smash Brothers 4. DK's amazingly original moveset has another thing coming!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I'd much rather be playing SSB4 with Elvis, Tupac, and MJ on a secret island near Madagascar, Khold. :bee:
Yeah, it's pretty fun. Elvis mains King K. Rool (because he's the King), Tupac has lately been switching back and forth between Ice Climbers and Geno, and and MJ loves Balloon Fighter.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Little Mac​

Little Mac is simply an amazing set and it is an absolute shame that it had to share a page with 2 sets (1 real and 1 joke) and a trivial argument.

Despite not being a Punch-Out! fan or even playing the game, I very much enjoyed this set. It was great seeing how a generic boxer could not only have such a creative set, but that said set could flow together so well while maintaining MYM's "every move a special" ways. I loved the Side Special, Side Tilt, Down Tilt, Up Smash, Down Smash (that was obviously meant for me :p), Dair, the grab, the situationals, and the Final Smash (which I really should have seen coming). Really, though, I liked almost every move in the set. The only thing I did not like was the random-bonus Up Throw. If you wanted an alternate way to get stars, I would recommend that each hit of the Pummel provide Mac with a star piece (1/5th of a star), perhaps giving the limitation that the star pieces must all be gotten in one grab. Aside from that, the set was great. Creativity, a simple but great playstyle, great mechanics, detail, awesome humor provided mostly by Doc, and true-to-characterness all combine to make one of the best sets in the contest so far.

n88

Smash Lord
Generic Character

Since you worked hard on the movewset, I'll give you a good review. This made me laugh more than any other set i have ever read. Congratulations. The Final Smash should be a Landmaster.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Generic Character

Since you worked hard on the movewset, I'll give you a good review. This made me laugh more than any other set i have ever read. Congratulations. The Final Smash should be a Landmaster.
Ah yes, Landmaster would fit perfectly. (Btw, I lol'd at that comment.)

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
At first I was like :ohwell:
Then, I :lol:

In a non-spamming note, I'm very close to being done with Takamaru.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Damn, I hate it when a joke set gets a bajillion comments. It just brings everyone out from their hidey holes, where they're idly trying to stuff their fingers in their ears and ignore the call of MYM and shirk any obligation or semblance of mutual DECENCY that should be pervading it. Cough.

Chris has got the right idea here; use this time to actually comment on something that didn't get enough comments.

And the best example of that is The Engineer. This is a great, great set, and totally impressed me. Warlord and others will, no doubt, dismiss him out-of-hand because he's a (OH NO) trap character, but he's amazingly well done and has a beautiful playstyle; that's what comes of having a few crucial interacting attacks and having the rest of the moveset just be. The Metal mechanic is a bit random but works, and the Sentry/Dispenser mechanic is superb. Some attacks, like DSmash and Wrench, feel like Warlord made them up, and that's some lofty praise right there. The writing style is one of the best I've seen and reading the set - with its low detail and friendly, picture-filled organization - is a delight. The only real problem is balance, which I usually don't mention or care about - but 10% for a charged Smash? REALLY? Not to mention that with the Dispenser and Sentry so fragile that they can die to a single Smash, he can never really get set up.

But yeah, definitely give this one a chance if you haven't already, it's a real gem and makes me even sadder that Baron's leaving MYM. :'(

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

Takamaru

Background

Takamaru is the protagonist of Nazo no Murasamejō, a Nintendo game released in 1986 for the Famicom Disk System exclusively in Japan. The game takes place in the Edo period of Japan, ruled by the shogun Tokugawa Ietsuna. The game begins when a golden meteorite crashes and an alien from within possesses the stone statue Murasame. The apprentice samurai, Takamaru, must infilitrate four castles and claim their evil spheres of power before taking on the alien. The game was originally intended to be released along with the release of the Famicom Disk System, but setbacks forced the game to be released far after, and the game was never very popular. As such, Takamaru is an option for an SSB4 retro representative.

Statistics

Power 2
Takamaru doesn't focus on high power on single attacks, instead pressuring the opponent with quick and weak strikes. KOing is a severe problem for Takamaru, but he can deal damage well.

Defense 5
Dodges are decidedly average. Takamaru's fall speed, size and weight make him an ideal target for comboes, and he has few defensive options.

Attack Speed 8
Takamaru is a speed demon, landing multiple attacks in quite short periods.

Range 6
Takamaru's katana, while a disjointed hitbox, isn't particuarly long, but it does grant above average melee range. He has three decent projectiles, but they aren't the focus of his game.

Priority 4
He uses his body more than one might expect in attacks with atrocious priority, but his disjointed katana has decent enough priority.

Movement Speed 7
Takamaru is quite quick on his feet once he gets into a dash, although his walk and run are slow.

Traction 4
Clumsy apprentice that he is, Takamaru can stumble forwards and slide after long dashes, and he trips quite a bit.

Fall Speed 8
Takamaru falls like a rock, making it difficult to use aerials effectively.

Recovery 4
If you manage to use it right, Takamaru's Up Special covers a good distance, but it's easy to mess up and an opponent familiar with Takamaru can easily gimp it. His fall speed doesn't help either.

Size 8
Takamaru matches the height of Ganondorf. His robes make him look wider, but they are not actually hitboxes.

Weight 3
Unfortunately, Takamaru's weight doesn't match that of Ganondorf. Large size, low weight and high fall speed can make Takamaru an easy target for combos.

Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: Yes
Crawl: Yes
Glide: No
Float: No

Animations

Symbol
A tall Japanese flag covered in random characters.

Wiimote Noise
The arrangement played from 0:14 to 0:17 of this video. Turn the volume up, it's quite faint.

Entrance
Three pixelated stair steps suddenly appear with no warning one after the other, and Takamaru walks down them.

Crowd Cheer
The noise of Japanese voices calling out "Takamaru!"

Basic Stance
Takamaru stands with his katana at his side in a rigid pose.

Idle Stance
Takamaru takes his katana as a glimmer passes down it with a sound effect, similar to Ganondorf's sword taunt.

Walk
Takamaru walks forward respectfully, still straight up, at a quite slow pace.

Run
Takamaru jogs, his legs stepping forward and spreading out and his chest tilted forward.

Dash
Takamaru all-out dashes, his legs bouncing off of the ground and his body leaning forward. This looks similar to Sheik's dash.

First Jump
Takamaru jumps up by spinning on the ground, hopping up and spinning more in the air, covering an above average vertical distance and a better one horizontally. Like Princess Peach's second jump, but less sucky.

Midair Jump
Takamaru sticks a leg down, making the classic air-ripple appear. This covers a below average distance vertically, but the horizontal distance is as good as the first jump.

Crouch
Takamaru lies down on a mat, his knees on the ground and his head to the sky as he meditates. Stereotypes ftw

Crawl
Takamaru holds his katana in his mouth as he army-crawls forward. Reasonably quick and lowers Takamaru a good distance.

Shield
Takamaru holds his arm up so that hand is as high as his head and his katana points down at a small angle away as he pulls up a bubble shield.

Rolldodge
Takamaru rapidly strikes his katana to the selected direction, still pointing down. This only covers one side and Takamaru does not move, but the katana is stunningly quick and blocks all attacks to the side instantly when their hitboxes come in contact. Unfortunately, the katana does not stay out to block for a large amount of frames.

Spotdodge
Takamaru sidesteps into the background agily, his katana hanging in the foreground from his hand as he does so. Interestingly, the katana stops all attacks instantly, but this isn't too helpful as Takamaru is obviously unhittable.

Airdodge
Takamaru sticks his foot down in an animation quite similar to his midair jump, but examination reveals that Takamaru has stepped into the background. Valuable for mindgames.

Dizzy
Takamaru stumbles around, as his katana makes random motions dangerously. That could hurt someone!

Asleep
Takamaru lies down on a mat, using his hand as a pillow.

Special Attacks

Special Shuriken
Takamaru tosses a small shuriken (also known as a ninja star), slightly smaller than a Pokeball, with some lag directly in front of him, moving at the speed of Zero Suit Samus's dash. It takes about .5 seconds to shoot a shuriken, with most of this being small ending lag. Shuriken dissapear upon reaching the end of the screen. Only two shuriken can be out at once.

Should a shuriken hit an opponent, it deals 1% and no flinching upfront, but then imbeds itself into the opponent for seven seconds. The shuriken will deal 1% per second without flinching while embedded into the opponent before falling off, so this deals a total of 8%. Shuriken can be removed in the same way as a Pikmin: by using close-ranged attacks which can hit the shuriken. Each shuriken has only 5 stamina, making them easy to destroy. Up to five shuriken can be imbedded into the opponent, but the damage does not stack: the shuriken will just do damage for its remaining time once previous shuriken are gone, meaning that multiple shuriken will not have a great effect. The non-flinching shurikens are easy enough to get rid of or dodge anyway, seeing the no-flinching aspect.

Shuriken are not to be used as a traditional projectile. Should they be used at maximum range, they just do miniscule damage and can be quickly eliminated with a jab or tilt, making them useless. Shurikens can only cause a full effect when Takamaru can manage to occupy the opponent with attacks while they run their full course. Shurikens should be thrown out in approaches, and if you have the time to use them at close range then you should always do so for weak but safe damage dealing.

Side Special Fire Katana
This is a chargeable move, but not one that functions like any other. The first time this move is used by Takamaru, he hoists his katana to the sky in a dramatic pose for a second and a half or so, as flames begin to lick around the katana. This can be interrupted at any point by an attack. If the animation is completed, Takamaru's katana will begin to flash a firey red every second or so, indicating the charge. The flashing will get faster and faster over time should the move not be released, capping at about six times per second after thirty seconds. The flashing ends and all of the charging is lost after thirty seconds. The charge is also lost if Takamaru loses a stock. Once this move is imputted again, Takamaru slashes his katana ahead of himself with low lag to make a fireball emenate out of it. The strength of the fireball depends on the charge.

• With a 0-5 second charge, a tiny fireball, almost unnoticable, is shot at the speed of Ganondorf's walk, dealing 2% without knockback or flinching and disappearing after moving the distance of a Battlefield platform. Not worth it at all.
  • With a 5-10 second charge, a fireball the size of The Kid is shot at the speed of Ganondorf's dash, dealing 5% and minor flinching on contact and disappearing after moving the distance of 1.5 Battlefield platforms. Better, but still not worth it.
  • With a 10-15 second charge, the fireball is almost the size of a Party Ball and moves at almost the speed of Mario's dash, and deals 7% with below average knockback, disappearing after going the distance of two Battlefield platforms. A nice edgeguarder if you have the good fortune to have this charge level when your opponent is recovering, but not too useful otherwise.
  • With a 15-20 second charge, the Party Ball-sized fireball will drag opponents with it with a Piplup effect the distance of a Battlefield platform, doing multiple hits for a maximum of 15% and below average knockback on the final hit. Good as a damage dealer.
  • With a 20-25 second charge, the fireball is the size of Kirby and will home in on the nearest opponent, with the speed and range of Lucas's PK Thunder, doing 16% and average knockback on contact. This is good at many things, but it shines as an edgeguarder.
  • With a full 25-30 second charge, the fireball is the size of 1.5 Kirbys. Due to its size it only moves at the speed of Bowser's dash, but it does 21% with good knockback on contact with infinite range, though it's very easy to dodge from a distance. Powerful, and one of Takamaru's very rare KO moves.

Each of the fireballs need to be used in a different way. The way a player can tell which fireball is ready is only be keeping track of time. Using this move is a thinking man's game, as you may get the wrong fireball for the wrong occasion and waste the charge. This takes exceptional practice to use right, but it can truly be useful once mastered.

Up Special Stealth Cloak
Takamaru pulls out a translucent cloak and... vanishes. His silhouette can be noticed with examination, but not effectively on the fly. Takamaru is now free to move in any direction with the Control Stick for five seconds before reappearing not in helpless but unable to use the move until touching terra firma, moving at around the speed of Mario's dash. This allows Takamaru to cover a great distance, close to that of Wings of Icarus without the gimpability...

...or so you might think. The whole point of this move is stealth, and if Takamaru is ever detected during the move, he goes into helpless. Takamaru can be detected by either being touched by an opponent, being "seen" by them in an area ahead of characters around the size of Bowser or being hit by an attack. While any noobs may be unable to tell where Takamaru has gone, any experienced player in tournaments can predict where Takamaru is going and easily gimp with a jump down and back. This means that Takamaru should play coservatively with this move, looping in unexpected directions and avoiding opponents. This is a very difficult to handle Up Special, and it's quite unfortunate that Takamaru only has his Forward Aerial to recover with other then this, and that's still difficult and covers a bad distance.

Down Special Lightning Explosive
This move requires a twenty second automatic charge, like ROB's Robo Laser or Wario's Wario Waft. After charging is complete, Takamaru's katana will flash yellow. This does not charge while Fire Katana is charging, instead holding the charge and returning after Fire Katana is used. This loses charge after Takamaru is KOd, just like in Fire Katana. Upon activation of this move, a glowing yellow field of electricity begins to crackle around Takamaru, remaining for five seconds or until it loses all of its 15 stamina. This is around an area of Bowser around Takamaru.

Contact with the field will deal 6% and low set knockback, but it has very poor priority- basic jabs and tilts can be used to damage it. The field also reflects projectiles, though the projectile will deal damage to the field in the process. Due to the ease of cancelling out the field, it isn't as effective for safety as it could be. The best use for this move is to stop opponents from pressuring Takamaru, since he does horribly under pressure.

Standard Attacks

Neutral Attack Katana Stab
Takamaru stabs his katana out in a basic, speedy and weak attack. Contact with the katana will deal 5% with very low knockback. The speed is quite stunning, and the katana stays out for a short period of time (about 10 frames), making it somewhat hard to hit with but not punishable when missed. This is well-ranged for a Neutral Attack, but only moderately so, as the katana isn't very long. The katana has bad priority, but since it's disjointed this isn't an issue. Since the katana stays out for such a short period of time, this move can't be effectively used as an approach or to shatter approaches. The instantaneous nature of it makes it best to give Takamaru some space, or to get a quick hit in from a close distance.

Dash Attack Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Takamaru stays in place crouching as long as the A button is held. Once it is released, Takamaru will lunge forward, his body becoming a low-priority hitbox dealing 7% with below average knockback. In all, Takamaru lunges the distance of a Battlefield platform. This move has bad startup lag when used with a simple button imput, but this is alleviated if you hold it in past the startup lag. In any case, there is some bad ending lag as Takamaru stumbles around to get up. This move is not suited to be used for the typical close-ranged fighting, as it has startup lag used directly; rather, this is used to keep Takamaru safe from a distance. Using this can shatter an approach, and its existence will make opponents not so sure at attacking Takamaru. This is one of Takamaru's only moves to be used from a range, making it more valuable.

Tilt Attacks

Side Tilt Parry
Takamaru lifts his hand to be level to his head, and points his katana down at a slight angle away. This looks similar to his "rolldodge", but it is quite different in function. Should Takamaru's katana interrupt the hitbox of any attack, Takamaru will instantly roll behind the opponent to point blank range. The ending lag of the move is doubled after it is parried, making them an easy target for a Neutral Attack or a Side Smash if you have parried a end-laggy attack. Opponents can button mash so that the ending lag is reduced to 1.5X as much. If Takamaru does not manage to parry an attack during the short window where the katana slashes, he keeps it out for about a second more, putting him in position for punishment.

Parrying a laggy attack, like Lucas's Up Smash or Jigglypuff's rest, will double already ridiculous ending lag, putting them in prime position for a Side Smash or combo. However, your opponents aren't stupid, and they will probably be frugal with their ending-laggy attacks as long as this move exists. This is mainly used to turn the tables on pressure, and make opponents wary of using laggy attacks.

Up Tilt Pipe
Takamaru pulls out a pipe filled with some sort of tobacco and puffs a small ring, the size of a Pokeball out of it. The ring puffs upwards at the speed of Jigglypuff jumping, and disappears after traveling the distance of a Stage Builder Block, dealing 4% and slight flinching on contact. Seeing that the projectile is surprisingly slow, this move is useless at a glance. However, after puffing up a ring, the pipe will remain in Takamaru's hands until he uses another moves, and this is no aesthetic effect. For each time Takamaru uses this attack consecutively, without using another attack to remove the pipe, the smoke ring gets a bit bigger, a bit faster and does 4% more damage. After using the attack four more times after the first puff, this becomes a projectile moving at the speed of Captain Falcon's dash upwards with no startup lag and 20%, as well as a bonus of 5% healing because of the tasty tobacco, however, this can only happen once per stock. Nice!

However, you lose all of your smoking bonuses and go back to square one after using the final puff. It's best to subtly build up your puffs when you have spare time, and then use the maximum puff ASAP. Try not to be balls-out with this attack, however, as it can become very predictable.

Down Tilt Nunchaku
Takamaru pulls out nunchaku, a classic samurai/ninja weapons, and holds them out until you press the A button. The nunchaku have low lag to take out, but annoying ending lag when put away. Tilting the Control Stick in any direction will make Takamaru lash out with the nunchaku with low lag and range, doing 6% and below average knockback. The B button makes Takamaru spin the nunchaku around, with worse range, 5% and a bit less knockback, but covering both sides. All of the strikes have low priority, but like with the Neutral A, they're disjointed so it doesn't matter. This can have a nice effect when used correctly, granting a new, quicker moveset, but this sacrifices mobility, and there are enough moves which outrange it for punishment. Don't throw this move out awkwardly: use it occasionally to stop approaches and for a sudden, unexpected attack at close range.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash Slash Flurry
As this move is charged, Takamaru holds his arms back is his robe appears to flutter with the wind. Don't be fooled by his peaceful stance: this is a quite vital part of the move. The game will record, for every fifth of a second that this move is charged, which way the Control Stick is tilted in: left, right, up or down, recorded as left or right when no direction is pressed (which depends on which direction Takamaru is facing.) This Smash has small startup lag, but it isn't very bad.

Once the charge is released, Takamaru will unleash a flurry of rapid katana strikes. There are up to ten katana strikes depending on charge time. Here is where the directions the Control Stick is tilted in becomes significant: Takamaru will do his slashes in the exact order of the directions recorded during charge time. For example, tilting right, left, up, down will result in a rightwards, leftwards, upwards and downwards slash in order. Each individual slash does not increase in power with charge time: there are simply more slashes with more charge. Slashes to the left and right deal 3% with below average knockback. Upwards slashes deal 2% with upwards knockback similar to Mario's Up Tilt. Downwards slashes result in a close-ranged, low-to-the-ground hammering slash, with poor range and only 1% but with a vacuum effect towards Takamaru.

You will want as many of the horizontal slashes as you can, them dealing the most damage, but you cannot limit yourself to them. Their higher knockback than the other slashes mean that a chain of them will usually push the opponent out of the way of the rest of the slashes. A max charged one of these will take a full two seconds to perform, meaning that this is a real danger. Used correctly this Smash Attack can build up a great amount of damage without danger of the opponent escaping, but whiff this or use too many horizontal slashes in a row and this will be easily punishable. This should be handled with care.

Up Smash Fire Eater
As Takamaru charges this Smash Attack, he holds a match with a glittering flame the size of a Pokeball on it over his open mouth, dangerously. During the charge the flame deals 4% with slight upwards knockback: nothing useful, but something to be aware of. Once the Smash is released, Takamaru crouches down and drops the match into his mouth. This causes a tounge of flame to leap out of his mouth, the width of Takamaru's thin body and the height of Kirby. Contact with the flame during the half-second period when the fire is out deals 8% to 20%, with average to strong, KOable knockback. This has very low startup and ending lag.

But I thought that Takamaru was bad at KOing! Well, he still is. This Smash literally has zero priority, being overpowered by moves like Egg Roll and Falcon Punch. If this is out-prioritized during charge or release, Takamaru will choke on the flame. This gives Takamaru HORRIBLE end lag, with the exact duration as the charge time of the move. Whiff this fully charged, and your opponent can land a fully charged Smash Attack! This is still a useful KO move anti-air move against characters without stall-then-fall Down Aerials, but you will not want to use this much. If it becomes predictable it could be a horrible mistake.

Down Smash Metalwork
Takamaru clashes a large iron plate onto the ground, with his katana on it, as a small fire rises up from the ground. After a certain amount of follow-through (the same as the charge time, specifically) Takamaru pulls his katana off of the plate. For the next five to fifteen seconds depending on charge time, his katana glows red with heat. During this period, it will do 1.1 to 1.5 times the damage and knockback, but the katana's heat will eventually die out. A twenty-second automatic charge is required before this works again (lulz a charge needed for a Smash Attack). The follow-through on this Smash Attack means that you need up to four seconds free before this will work, and Takamaru has no real means to keep his opponents occupied. You will probably only use this successfully after obtaining a KO.

If this move is fully charged, Takamaru will pull no hot katanas out of the grill- he pulls out two katanas. The second katana will disappear in time, but while it is out Takamaru will perform his katana-using attacks twice- once normally, but doing it again with the second 30 frames later. This makes Takamaru's attacks slightly more punishable, but it makes them twice as powerful. They aren't very powerful to begin with, but this can still be a very welcome buff.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial Katana Rush
Takamaru gracefully twirls around and plants his katana in the air. The process takes a bit less than a second, seeing as Takamaru places it as flamboyantly as possible. The katana will stay in place for exactly five seconds, no more, no less. During this period, Takamaru cannot use any of his katana-based attacks, which is the vast majority of them. Once the five seconds passes, the katana will rush towards Takamaru at the most direct path possible at the speed of Takamaru's 8/10 dash, moving directly through all platforms and stage obstacles.

Contact with the rushing katana deals 8% and average upwards knockback. Takamaru cannot move during this period. The katana has a fair bit of priority, but if it is outprioritized, it disappears, leaving Takamaru without use of katana attacks until he fully charges his Down Smash, Metalwork. Used properly this creates a rushing, infinitely ranged projectile and a difficult-to-dodge damage dealer, but it would be wise not to spam this. While the katana has good priority, it isn't hard to find a move which can outprioritize it, and Takamaru will have a horrible time trying to find time to fully charge a Down Smash, leaving him vulnerable until he gains a new one when respawning for his next stock.

Forward Aerial Escape Artist
Takamaru disappears in a cloud of smoke and reappears a distance away, dealing 8% with fire-based average upwards knockback as he disappears and reappears, then going into a helpless state.

Sounds like Sheik's Up Special? Well, in fact this move is a clone of that move, but without the startup lag and more power, plus the ability to become a hitbox upon reappearing. However, Takamaru cannot use the Control Stick to influence where he reappears. What changes where Takamaru will reappear is momentum: essentially, where Takamaru would be the same time period later if he hadn't used this move. If this move is shorthopped, Takamaru barely has moved when he disappeared. If Takamaru was at a full- out dash before shorthopping, he can appear up to 2/3 of Battlefield away! However, this move is very difficult to control, and you'll probably want to use an Up Special for recovery instead... this is near useless as a direct attack, but it is an integral part of the usage of Takamaru's Up Aerial.

Backward Aerial Katana Tracer
Takamaru, with minimal lag, thrusts his arm backwards as his katana is shot about a character distance away. Takamaru is now given super armor, and remains in place floating until the move ends. By moving the control stick, the katana can be moved at a fast speed, close to that of Takamaru's dash, in any direction. Contact with the katana will deal 6% and below average horizontal knockback.

This can be a very useful edgeguarder, but it has one property holding it back... it can only move a maximum of five Stage Builder Blocks, and if it is outprioritized (difficult but possible) it loses a Stage Builder Block of movement. What happens if it goes more than the maximum distance you say? The katana will in such a case crack, not to return to Takamaru until a Down Smash is fully charged or Takamaru begins another stock. If the katana is out for five seconds it also will crack. Note that the real maximum range is 2.5 Stage Builder Blocks, as you need time to bring the katana back to Takamaru to truly end the move. This can form one of the best edgeguards in the game when used correctly, but you don't want to ever spam it due to the risk. If an opponent catches on to your plan, they shouldn't have trouble finding a nmove to outprioritize it, leaving Takamaru horribly vulnerable. Similar to his Neutral Aerial, this can potentially be VERY useful... as long as it is not spammed.

Up Aerial Sword Swallower
Takamaru places his katana over his mouth, as he tilts his head upward and opens his mouth. After staying like this for 20 frames or so, Takamaru proceeds to drop the katana. The katana will proceed to fall to the ground at the speed of a fastfalling Fox. Contact with it at any point will deal 12% with powerful, very KOable upwards knockback. Seeing that this is an infinitely ranged projectile with KOing ability, not to mention great priority, it's broken, right? Well, no, for two reasons.

First, Takamaru must pick up his sword off of the ground, or opponents can throw it off with the approximate throwing speed and distance as an average battering item. Second, and more importantly, the katana will begin to fall directly over Takamaru, so he will always be hurt by the move with equal strength. This cannot be avoided... without use of a Forward Aerial. By rushing up to an opponent, jumping over them and using this move, Takamaru can KO. However, this becomes very predictable in time, and if predicted opponents can easily throw Takamaru's katana off of the stage, making this a high risk high reward move.

Down Aerial Lightning Rod
Takamaru hoists a long metal pole above his head and swings its base in a 180 degree arc below himself. This has close to zero startup lag, but the ending lag is worse than Lucas's Up Smash when whiffed. If this move connects, the lightning rod will be affixed above the opponent's head. This makes them 1 Battlefield platform taller, but this is purely aesthetic- the rod isn't a hitbox. The lightning rod falls off, useless, after 15 seconds. What's the point of this? If Takamaru connects with his Down Special, Lightning Explosive, during this period, it deals 16% and a stunning effect three times as long as Falco's laser. This causes the rod to fall off early, and it only works once per stock on any opponent... still, this is a good move, if only for making your opponents look dorky.

Grabbing Attacks

Grab L33t Ninja Powers
Takamaru sticks an arm in front of himself in an averagely speeded grab. However, this does not have average range... Takamaru only extends his arm out a short distance, but due to Takamaru's l33t ninja skills characters from around the range of Lucas's rope snake are grabbed. However, this comes at the cost of not being able to grab characters at a close range (about that of Mario's grab). A strange grab.

Pummel Incision
Takamaru takes his katana and traces a long scar across the face of the opponent. This only deals 1% up front, and it is almost as laggy as Bowser's pummel, but it makes the grabbed character take hits of 1% for every half-second they remain grabbed. This isn't very useful what with the lag and lack of reliability outside from buffing Takamaru's Forward Throw.

Forward Throw Bloodletting
Takamaru takes the opponent and vigorously shakes them in an animation similar to ROB's Down Throw. If the opponent has not recieved any scars from Takamaru's pummel, this only deals 1% with very low knockback, and a bit of ending lag to prevent chaingrabbing. However, for each scar the opponent has from Takamaru's pummel, they will take 4% (without the original 1% being added) maxing out at a massive 16%, the same amount as Dedede's infamous Back Throw. However, keep in mind that this never has any knockback, and the fact is that you will only get enough pummels in at high percentages where damage-dealing isn't really worth it, meaning that this is most useful around the 80s when Takamaru can't really KO yet but tthe opponent has trouble escaping from a grab.

Backward Throw Ring of Fire
Takamaru plunges his katana into the body of the opponent, dealing 4%. After this a ring of flame rises up from the ground right around the opponent, remaining for a second. The ring goes around the opponent, meaning that this does nothing if the opponent refuses to move, but if they do, they take 4% and decent knockback that is likely to bounce them back and forth inside of the ring, building up about 12% more! However, this only works if the opponent moves. If they don't they will merely take 4%, and since Takamaru can't pass his own rings they get safety as well. This is really only useful if you use it on a n00b or if your opponent is mashing buttons and they could accidentally hit the flames.

Up Throw Electroshock
Takamaru hoists the opponent over his head and places them between the fingers of his hands. He then begins to course electricity through them, dealing 4% in multiple hits and no knockback. This also has a bit of ending lag, preventing chaingrabbing. Is this move useful at all? Well, yes. Should Takamaru have his Down Special fully charged when this throw is used, he will course a far greater amount of electricity, dealing 14%! This is an excellent damage dealer this way, and an alternate use for Takamaru's electric charge. However, keep in mind that the conventional use can be quite vital to Takamaru: put thought into your decision and don't use this recklessly!

Down Throw Wasabi
Takamaru feeds his opponent a small blob of edible material... you can't tell by looking, but it is in fact wasabi, a Japanese spice. This causes the opponent to take set knockback away and trip, taking no damage. However, once they get up, they are given the effect of a Superspicy Curry! This isn't as strong as the regular Superspicy Curry effect, merely doing 2% with 9 individual fireballs for a maximum of 18%... but still, why would you want to use this? Every fireball that misses will home right back in on the opponent, charring them for the same damage and knockback: this could potentially do 18% to the opponent! However, keep in mind that this is a gamble and it could backfire horribly.

Situational Attacks

Ledge Attack (Under 100%) Chopping Block
Takamaru swings himself over the ledge, holding his katana in his hands as he does so. This move has two hitboxes: Takamaru and the katana. Opponents close to the ledge will be hit by Takamaru's body, which will deal 4% and weak knockback. However, opponents at a slight distance will be hit by the katana, which deals 8% and stronger (but still somewhat weak) knockback. Very situational for a ledge attack but it can have a nice effect if it connects.

Ledge Attack (Over 100%) Stumbling Flail
Takamaru climbs up the ledge slowly, looking exhausted, in about a second-long process. As he does this, he flails his arms on the ledge. Opponents who are hit by the weakly ranged hitbox take 5%, and set knockback of around Ness's PK Fire as well as tripping. Good for clearing out an area for Takamaru to get onto the ledge, although it lacks a truly powerful effect.

Tripped Attack Robe Flick
Takamaru flips back up from his tripped position, flicking up the sides of his robe as he does so. The robe makes a small hitbox covering both sides of Takamaru, dealing 3% with weak knockback. The robe has low priority but it does make a nice shield around Takamaru. The robe takes around a second to fall back down, giving Takamaru an opportunity to escape. An unconventional but useful tripped attack.

Downed Attack Frog Jump
From his downed position, Takamaru leaps up like a frog in a powerful jump. This jump covers twice the distance of Falco's first jump, and has 1.5X the horizontal potential. Not really an attack since Takamaru does not become a hitbox, but ideal for escaping.

Flipped Attack Handstand
Takamaru does a handstand from his flipped position and agily leaps up and goes directly back downwards in a stall-then-fall. Contact with Takamaru's body deals 5% and weak horizontal knockback. While this has delay before the hitbox comes out, and the range is quite narrow, the fact that Takamaru leaps up for it makes it safe and good for dodging attacks that might interrupt its weak priority.

Final Smash - Fine Japanese Cooking

Once a Final Smash is initiated, Takamaru will pull out a large, elaborate cooking station, holding a large knife. Takamaru is completely invincible in this state, and play will go on while it is activated. The Final Smash ends after ten seconds pass.

During this period, a thought bubble appears over Takamaru's head, of nine cooking ingredients stacked 3 by 3 in small boxes. With the Control Stick, a cursor can be moved around in the thought bubble. Once an ingredient is selected, it appears on the cooking station immediately, and Takamaru bends over to the item. By mashing the A button, Takamaru will begin to "work" on the ingredient, indicated by slicing a vegetable or shaking spices over some meat. Twenty presses of the A button are needed before a item is fully prepared and is tossed into a pot.

Each item of food tossed into a pot will go into making a stew that Takamaru eats at the end of the final smash, and each item will give a unique, useful effect to the item.

• The loaf of bread will greatly buff Takamaru's weight, bringing him up to the level of Samus's weight.
  • The mushroom will grant Takamaru 1.5X damage and knockback on his attacks.
  • The tomato will shrink Takamaru with the strength of a poison mushroom, making him a much smaller target. His hitboxes do not shrink, because his katana will not shrink and will be jabbed out further to compensate for the loss of size.
  • The eggplant will double the length of Takamaru's katana, giving him a range advantage.
  • The fish will grant much greater priority to Takamaru's attacks, making them all jump to the level of Dedede's Back Aerial.
  • The sushi will heal Takamaru of 40%.
  • The hot pepper will give Takamaru the effect of a Superspicy Curry.
  • The chunk of indeterminate meat gives Takamaru a shield that does not shrink at all, making him invincible under a shield.
  • The jar of spices will give all of Takamaru's attacks an additional flower effect for 6% more damage.

Once Takamaru slurps up his bowl of soup in a quick animation at the end of ten seconds, he gains all of the bonuses of the ingredients he used. This wears off after twenty seconds, and watch out: Takamaru is vunerable during the twenty second period after he slurps up the stew and gets bonuses. This is a customizable Final Smash, meaning that it can be given a unique and powerful attack. Have fun with it!

Playstyle - Ninjas > Pirates

Takamaru has one of the least intuitive playstyles in the game. All of his playstyle is based on pressuring the opponent, but he falls easily to pressure himself! Not only can Takamaru have follow-through on his most useful attacks, most notably his Side Smash, Takamaru has a large size and little weight. Once knocked off the stage it's easy to keep him there, him having ridiculously fast fall speed and a recovery that can easily be gimped by an alert opponent, not to mention a lack of direct attacks in his aerials.

Then there's Takamaru's range. His katana gives him decent range, but it isn't very long, so not excessively so. While he has two projectiles (three counting his Down Special), he has no means of pressuring the foe from a range with them. His Neutral Special is best used as a close-ranged attack, as from a range opponents can easily remove the star with a jab or tilt or similar quick and weak move, and since the effect doesn't stack too well you'd better be doing something else to the opponent while the star takes its full effect. His Side Special is a little better for this, but it's often easy to dodge, making it effective as an approach (something which Takamaru lacks) more than anything, not to mention the long charge. The pseudo-projectile Down Special is more defensive than anything.

So what is Takamaru to do? Having only the ability to dish out the pressure and not take it, Takamaru inherits a strangely defensive pressure playstyle. Takamaru has three main means of defense: his "rolldodge", Side Tilt and Down Special. Takamaru's quite quirky "rolldodge" is an excellent defensive move but it fails if used like a traditional rolldodge. Used properly, Takamaru's "rolldodge" shatters attacks, being great against projectile spam, and can turn the tables on pressure. The Side Tilt looks much like the "rolldodge" but has a quite different effect, with the bonus of countering attacks and the loss of punishability. To use this properly it has to be used with ON THE DOT precision but it can have a great effect when landed. Takamaru's Down Special is most efficient as a last-minute move to get opponents away, lacking a dramatic effect for a move requiring a long charge. The three of these seem average in effect, and they are, but being Takamaru's sole defensive measures they should see a lot of use.

And after the three defensive moves we have a plethora of great pressure moves. His Neutral Attack is hard to land but it has a nice effect if it does, and is stunningly safe. Up Tilt can build great damage if you are able to get enough puffs in. His Side Smash in particular is great for all purposes, with its only con being punishability (which is admittedly pretty bad). Using a Metalwork Down Smash can make Takamaru even better at pressure when pulled off, and never forget the potentially infinite range of the Neutral Aerial. All of Takamaru's moves other than the aforementioned three can pull off pressure, but these can do it the best.

But with lots of ability to pressure and damage deal, comes substandard KO ability... Takamaru has only a couple of good KO moves, and all can backfire. The ones to focus on are Up Smash and Up Aerial. Up Smash is one of the most powerful KO moves in the game, but the zero priority and how the effect can hit Takamaru gives it insane risk. His Up Aerial is also quite powerful, but it needs to be used in combination with a Forward Aerial to work, and by rushing in to make that work makes it predictable. Once predicted Takamaru's katana can be thrown off of the stage, putting him at a great disadvantage until he fully charges his Down Smash (which, let's face it, is impossible without a KO, and now he only has his Up Smash for the purpose). Both of these moves WILL KO with a good hit, but it's hard to get one and if predicted they can be punished. Use these moves as unpredictably as you can.

But get past all of this and you can see that Takamaru can be a very effective character. His speed means that he can cross blades with Meta Knight in a not terrible matchup, and by weaving in and out of characters, he can safely attack slow heaviweights like King Dedede. What Takamaru is going to need to watch out for is speedy characters with range, a surprisingly common combination. Characters like Squirtle and Toon Link can overpower Takamaru with ease, leaving him in the dust.

Playing Against - Pirates > Ninjas

The first thing you need to know about fighting Takamaru is how wild his matchups are. Takamaru is an insane counterpick against quite a few characters without excessive speed, but he fails much with characters who have speed and range. Toon Link is a very difficult matchup for Takamaru, and even Samus can give him some troubles. Choosing a good character to fight against Takamaru can make all the difference.

At the start of a match you're going to want to rush in and pressure Takamaru. But isn't Takamaru a pressure god? Well, yes, but only if he uses his projectiles before pressure. By rushing to Takamaru at the start of a match, he has little to do, allowing some easy damage up until he breaks out with a defensive move. He's going to want to plant some projectiles on you now, and you would do well to use some of your own. Throw out every projectile and well-ranged move you have to prevent escape. A well-placed Boomerang or Super Missle can make life difficult for Takamaru.

So you have Takamaru to an acceptable KO percentage? You'll probably be safe to use it earlier than that. Takamaru's surprisingly low weight makes him easy to launch off the stage, and he doesn't have a great recovery to counteract it. Throw out a well-charged Smash at an early percent or a weaker move at a usual one to get Takamaru off, than try and gimp him if you can't get an actual KO in. This is easy once you get the hang of it. Look for Takamaru's silhouette and work around it. Even by being close to the silhouette you can make Takamaru move away, seeing his need for safety and by being close you can gimp him.

In conclusion, to counter Takamaru is to pick a fast ranged character and to pressure him before he has the capacity to do so. Takamaru can pressure you back, so pressure all you can. Any match with Takamaru will have a whole lot of pressure involved.

Taunts

Up Taunt Pinwheel
Takamaru tosses his katana up into the air, as it stays in place for a second and twirls to make a pinwheel. A fun and flashy taunt.

Side Taunt Duel
Takamaru sticks out an extended arm, using his katana to beckon his opponent to a duel as he speaks something incomprehensible in Japanese.

Down Taunt Figure 8
Takamaru holds his arm holding the katana to the screen, and rapidly moves it around in a figure 8 pattern.

Victory Screen Poses

Up Victory Pose Flamin' Hot
Takamaru does a series of compicated motions and patterns with his sword. Eventually his sword overheats from the pressure, making Takamaru drop it and look at it with a comically stupid expression.

Side Victory Pose Fireworks
The screen first shows a night sky with fireworks dotting the air. The camera then moves down to Takamaru and his opponents, showing Takamaru lighting dragon-shaped fireworks with a triumphant expression on his face.

Down Victory Pose Katana Swallower
Takamaru is shown balancing his katana on his tongue. Occasionally the katana dangerously begins to tip over, causing Takamaru to step to the side to balance it again.

Loss Pose Respect
Takamaru solemnly claps for the foe, occasionally using a overblown, long bow to show his respect.

Victory Theme Nazo no Murasamejō Theme
The opening riff of this song.

Kirby Hat

Kirby gains Takamaru's fancy topknot as well as a cute robe of his own. He also gains the ability to use Takamaru's Neutral Special, Shuriken, for the same effect. This gives Kirby an effective projectile as well as another damage-dealer, which he has plenty of.

Codec Conversation

-PUSH SELECT-
SNAKE|Mei Ling, what's this ninja doing here?
MEI LING|Snake, that's Takamaru. He's a samurai apprentice.
SNAKE|Same difference...
MEI LING|He was only the apprentice of a samurai until a meteor crashed into Japan, containing an alien within it. Takamaru had to collect four mystical orbs in four castles before taking on the villian.
SNAKE|I shouldn't have too much trouble. After all, ninjas are inferior to pirates.
MEI LING|He's an apprentice samurai, and what do pirates have to do with ninjas?
SNAKE|Mei Ling, you need to improve your knowledge of basic internet memes.
-END TRANSMISSION-

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Damn, I hate it when a joke set gets a bajillion comments. It just brings everyone out from their hidey holes, where they're idly trying to stuff their fingers in their ears and ignore the call of MYM and shirk any obligation or semblance of mutual DECENCY that should be pervading it. Cough.
Sorry about that, K.Rool, I was just itching to get a set out, and since I hadn't finished any real ones, I threw that together. :embarrass

Everyone, don't comment as much on joke sets, or at least review a real set while you're at it. :bigthumbu

TAKAMARU:

Great set, Wizzerd! Balanced, organized, detailed-- I can see it being your Tingle set of MYM6.

I suck at in-depth reviews, sorry.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Wiz...

I love your set, but I have a gripe. His side special takes him 30 seconds to get a charge that has power less than a Falcon Punch that takes less then a second to charge. This is too underpowered.

Good set, though. Needs more comments.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
TAKAMARU:

Great set, Wizzerd! Balanced, organized, detailed-- I can see it being your Tingle set of MYM6.

I suck at in-depth reviews, sorry.
No issue, I sucked at reviewing moves too when I started in MYM. This kind of comment is easier to put in a link-up space anyway. :chuckle:

Wiz...

I love your set, but I have a gripe. His side special takes him 30 seconds to get a charge that has power less than a Falcon Punch that takes less then a second to charge. This is too underpowered.

Good set, though. Needs more comments.
Yay, I actually underpowered a move for once! I'm so proud of myself. Anyway, the Side Special isn't necessarily weaker than a Falcon Punch considering all of the different possible effects, but I suppose it isn't too useful. I'll wait for more comments before looking over it though, to see what other people think.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad everyone liked mah Sluggeh. Yeah I do need to work on detail a bit, but I wanted to make my set inviting or at least readable.

But anyway, I'm starting to read Takamaru now. I always wanted Sukapon in Brawl and it seemed like it was either him or Takamaru, so I grew to hate the samurai without even playing his game. XD I'm over it now, though. Love the organization.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm beginning to enjoy all these new updated sets for potential SSB4 newcomers. I believe Sakurai stated if he appeared in one more game, he'd be sure to include Takumaru. I don't know if him in Captain Rainbow counts for anything, but this moveset is just what I'd like him to play as if he appeared. I was never really a huge fan of him, but your originality just enticed me to what the character has to offer. Granted, Sakurai would never make him so cool...but you still did a great job. Definitely a step up from your MYM5 works.

One minor gripe on organization: learn to divide information into paragraphs. I'm sure others will address this later, but it just makes the moves so much easier to read through, and is really not that hard to do.

On a completely different note, if anyone could make me a Tryclyde button, I'd be very pleased...:bee:

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
But anyway, I'm starting to read Takamaru now. I always wanted Sukapon in Brawl and it seemed like it was either him or Takamaru, so I grew to hate the samurai without even playing his game. XD I'm over it now, though. Love the organization.
I actually AM planning a Sukapon moveset after this one, so yay! I always have a lot of fun with organization. Insert > special characters ftw!

I'm beginning to enjoy all these new updated sets for potential SSB4 newcomers. I believe Sakurai stated if he appeared in one more game, he'd be sure to include Takumaru. I don't know if him in Captain Rainbow counts for anything, but this moveset is just what I'd like him to play as if he appeared. I was never really a huge fan of him, but your originality just enticed me to what the character has to offer. Granted, Sakurai would never make him so cool...but you still did a great job. Definitely a step up from your MYM5 works.

One minor gripe on organization: learn to divide information into paragraphs. I'm sure others will address this later, but it just makes the moves so much easier to read through, and is really not that hard to do.
Sakurai indeed said that, but he pretty much has little chance beside Little Mac as a retro representative. But he's a cool character and has t3h ph1r3, so I can dream... Thanks for the praise.

I see where you're coming from with the paragraph breaks, and looking over it some of the move descriptions are walls of text... I just went over it and edited some in. Thanks.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Generic Character: I actually found this rather lackluster for a jokeset. The punchline (he's generic) is simply not worth reading the dry writing style, particularly since it's evident right from the start. It's an already well trodden joke to begin with, and the arguement is flawed anyway.
I entertained the theory that you had an ulterior message, right until the end, when I realised the whole set was just "look at the generic man and laugh". That, in itself, thoroughly dissapointed me
oh, but good job anyway. Very epic, whatever that means in this context.

Little Mac: Tagging punch is the single greatest aspect of this moveset, hands down. It's such an inspired, fitting attack that is absolutely central to Little mac's fighting style (much more than hearts, stars or Doc louis). It leads quite well into a grab (boxers DO grab each other. Or rather, they get so close to the opponent that they can't throw any punches) though there isn't really any alternative, which is odd for a boxer. You still show a decent understanding of punch out, and boxing in general, at least until the props come out..
There's a critical lack of punching going on on the ground, which is most painfully felt in the Neutral A and Foreward tilts, two inputs which seriously should have involved punching of some sort.
I also noted a missed opportunity with his Down-smash, the Sandbag. You should be able to make it swing one way, then tag punch it when it swings back (and get a star in the process).
And finally, as always, Playstyle (against) is the same for every character ever created. Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Takamaru: I was very pleased with this moveset. You've crafted a very suitable, very fitting set of moves. The way it was written could have been a little punchier and there are some real oddball attacks in there (randomly puffs a smoking pipe), but this was a very strong moveset from you.
And yet again, Playstyle (against) is "pressure pressure pressure". It suits the character and playstyle this time, for him to be unable to take what he dishes out, but this is getting to the point where pressure beats everything.

And what's with Downed, Flipped and Tripped attacks? Is there a point to making them different attacks? That's a rhetorical question, and the answer is NO

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
TAKAMARU: Wow great job, but I mut say as soon as I saw the sword I was already thinking moves with hitboxs as long as Marth's moves. I was quickly proven wrong and Tatakmaru seems like a very fun character ( hard to use but still fun). The Back seems more like more cons then pros though, but see that one of his few kill moves makes it seem even worse :(. So playing as Tatakmaru is basically pressure as much as you can or die). Great moveset. Him being a rather large character but low weight was a nice surprise though. The moveset was easy to read as well. But I guess characters with high priority moves can easily beat him up.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Generic Character: I actually found this rather lackluster for a jokeset. The punchline (he's generic) is simply not worth reading the dry writing style, particularly since it's evident right from the start. It's an already well trodden joke to begin with, and the arguement is flawed anyway.
I entertained the theory that you had an ulterior message, right until the end, when I realised the whole set was just "look at the generic man and laugh". That, in itself, thoroughly dissapointed me
oh, but good job anyway. Very epic, whatever that means in this context.

:cry:

...Okay, now that that's out of the way, I understand what you mean. I'm surprised you're actually the first one to give it a thumbs down (aside from K.Rool :laugh:), because I didn't really think it was all that funny (or at least, as funny as what people gave it credit for), and I only made it out of utter boredom and the fact that I hadn't contributed anything other than two-sentence moveset reviews.

Thanks for the, erm, critique, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
They're different in actual Brawl =P
I have to agree here; although they're unnecessary extras that are usually rather generic, they are different attacks. It's not just one get-up attack, there are three. Take DK, for example. When he's on his stomach, he does a sort of elbowing swat. When he's on his back, he slams his fists over his head. When he trips, he does an odd spinning punch. They're not required, but when I make my situationals sections, they have all three of said attacks to be more complete.

And Trophy Master, I'd be quite happy if you could make me a button, please...

Smady

Smash Master
This catch-up session is a long-time coming. For the first time in a while, I accidentally a massive amount of comments and had to do them over again.

Vaati: So I've finally found the time to catch up and I'll start with this guy. From the very start, I see that there are many spelling errors [typos] and grammatical mistakes. Yeah, we all know this moveset was rushed, but it is not all that well written either. As I have read on, it does seem like you improve in your writing style, but the specials and smashes are somewhat disjointed, which is to say they don't flow as well as is to be expected from you. It's no surprise considering this one is several weeks earlier than I thought it would be.

In terms of the actual moveset, I quite like how you've used the wind gimmick, it does seem very Smash appropriate. The wind aspect affects everything in the set, but in a way I could see being implemented in Smash easily. The amount of Mario references at the beginning of the set are jarring; your comparisons to Mario early on are probably what allow this to be so fitting. That isn’t necessarily all good, however – there are some moves that are overlooked and the playstyle isn’t quite as interesting as it could be. Really, the ‘wind effect’ is what holds its entirety together.

As a closing comment, I’ve never been a massive fan of your organisation, but your Computer Virus and now Vaati work is starting to change my mind. With more colour and images I can see this style of writing being exceptional. :)

Daroach: I’ll start by saying this is a massive improvement for you over Magmortar, you’re an entirely different MYMer in my eyes. It isn’t as good as the old moveset by one of the best MYMers, but that is not to say it is at all bad.

Each move is well detailed and most aren’t generic, but you have a way of falling into that old boot. Clawing with appendages or throwing projectiles of different types is hardly enthralling – if you are going to include moves like that, it is fine if you make a point of having them add to the playstyle. Simply having moves there that are filling doesn’t help at all. Aside from that, I enjoyed some of the variables in the moves and am impressed that you are trying at playstyles now; you need to remember that this affects the entire moveset, though. I look forward to “The Sim,” even if it is something I would never attempt.

Jade Curtiss:
I said more in my now deleted comment, but this one is mainly just lacking. You need to detail your moves more; they don’t seem vivid enough with your brief explanations. If you don’t want to spend time detailing, be more exact – anything to avoid being unspecific. The special mechanic is, for example, criminally inexplicit – if it affects her entire style of play, it merits a paragraph or more of discussion. There are certainly some fun things with this moveset, like directing her Fonic Artes, though I don’t grasp its nature at all. In the least, you have some good ideas; so I would like you see more from you as the contest progresses.

Servbot: By far your best moveset yet and actually really up there with the most memorable so far. I love the concept and you pull it off really well, with the multiple Servbots and their effects on the set. It is somewhat underdetailed and the playstyle is rather simplistic, but I commend you on a pretty good one here. It’s quite a brave archetype to use and one that may help me in a future set, thanks. On a side note, your choice of blue and yellow isn’t good and your organisation is holding you back a bit, be a little more inventive with how you present your work in the future.

Clefable: This set immediately reminds me of Cutesy with its negating of affects and ‘cuteness.’ The organisation is brilliantly simple. Some of the earlier manipulating moves I would have preferred to see throughout the moveset, as Clefable seems somewhat like a God tier Mewtwo at some points. What I do like is how this is a cut above your usual disingenuously generic moves, in both Cutesy and Viola. This is completely new from you. Overall, I quite like her and the general play method is interesting, but does need some work; it’s a great try at this kind of moveset from a veteran beginning anew like you.

Also, I absolutely love the codec. :chuckle:

Bison: BISON; awesome character and fun moveset here. Saying that, you use a very mediocre palette for such a colourful personality and your use of sprites is baffling. Even for psycho crusher, there’s no animation and I don’t think you use it too well for the cameos down special either. There are indeed a few missed opportunities here and there for that kind of stuff. In all, his set of moves sounds like a jolly good time, but not all that interesting and he doesn’t sound like a very deep character. I don’t blame you or think you incompetent for it, though – having to port fighting game characters over from other series usually ends this way. That in mind, it’s a pretty awesome port and much better than my Yamazaki in terms of being fitting – Bison’s arrogance and persona shines from every spot of text, if not from afar. Seriously, use sprites.

Kangaskhan: This one is awesome with the two special mechanics; they fit together very well. The idea of chasing after Babyskhan, reminds me a lot of Silver’s Excel moveset from MYM5. The give-and-take of this mechanic is truly impressive and its role throughout is more so, well done on its inclusion. Like Clefable, it’s a small slice of greatness, but the pitfalls that actually make sense put it above its ‘cute’ counterpart. The organisation, though not as personified or glammy as Cleffy, is still very good as well. Good work, Krool.

Game Boy Colour Link: Oh boy, this one is another example of a very unimaginative layout. You gain points for writing so much, but the entire thing is in the most boring font possible and unwieldy colours. It reminds me a lot of Links’ actual moveset – versatile, many weapons and a few generic ones that don’t really add anything special, the last of which being an area where you could drastically improve. Definitely work on your organisation and your playstyle section, but in all, the length of this one impresses me. You just need to edit it down and make it pretty from now on.

Ludicolo:
If there’s one guy who I hadn’t expected to join the Pokémon contest, it’s you, MW. The mechanic isn’t as sensible as Cleffy or Kanga’s, but it’s very unique and inspired. There are some parts of it that don’t logically piece together – Ludicolo is limited in how he can control the water, which I don’t feel is an appropriate way to balance a character. It doesn’t ruin the moveset or anything near that, but you should really go the extra mile if you already have a brave mechanic. I like how practically everything is affected by it and Ludicolo is as fun as its two Poké-counterparts aforementioned, which is not surprising from you. Sloth and Ludicolo are top, top movesets, my friend. Well, I’d say that Kanga was more charming and Cleffy much prettier, but Ludicolo has it on the set basics. Yet again, you improve with your organisation, ridding yourself of bolding errors and what-have-you. I very much look forward to reading your future movesets.

Little Mac: I went straight to the final smash as it is pure win, lol. Mac’s two special mechanics are very fitting, but I’m not sure if they’re too well implemented. The hearts would seem a little bit distracting, like Kangaskhan’s rage metre actually. Still, I’m glad you reference it in some way, it is seemingly a very important part of Punch-Out! games. I loved most of the moves and the doc conversations are pure gold, nice work, MT.

Oliver Duke of Tanas: The first thing I notice when skimming through this initially is that massive down special – is that necessary? You have a lot of information there, but most of the units used are only briefly described, having a few deeply interesting ones would be better. Whilst on design choices, having everything in pink and purple isn’t a good idea, leave that to the headers or one / two specifics. One thing I do find remarkable is how you even made a moveset for someone like this, who comes across to me as Generic FE General… Who Is Fat. :lol:

Speaking of generals, this one’s a bit generic in places, but honestly – who is this character? I don’t remember him and I’m pretty sure I played his game. That may be why his attacks are a little iffy in points, but you also need to be a bit more imaginative with some of these. Summoning units is an interesting idea indeed, though – look back at Thrall to see a very interesting RTS-inspired mechanic centred on this. If Oliver was based around that [his down special is indeed massive] it would be greatly superior, I sense.

Smeargle:
This is funny? I find the lack of movesets on page seventeen funnier! xD

Shiki Tohno: Firstly your amount of pictures and sense of appropriate photo-generosity is, whilst mixed, impressive. You have a very mixed bag in this moveset, you go from one extreme to the next in detail and quality. It’s therefore pretty confusing to read and I’m not a good judge of it as a non-fan of its series, but it seems okay. Definitely work on evening out all the variables for your next try.

I also understand you’re a returning MYMer, so welcome back. ;)

The Engineer:
Awesome. He was always my favourite TF2 class and I did have thoughts of how his moveset would work, this is the obvious one. You really go as far as to show just why he’s so awesome and fun to play, which you also translate well over to here. One thing, though – MASSIVE EFFING FONT much? It’s a nice-looking set bar that, your use of imagery is apt and I admire how approachable this moveset really is. Enjoyable read, Baron and I hope it isn’t your last. :(

I’ll save Slugma and Takamaru for later. Generic character was sucky: I’m sorry, but it’s true. Zero effort and it has been done countless times before.

On that note, this very longified edition of my catch-up is over.

Darkurai

Smash Master

Jade Curtiss:
I said more in my now deleted comment, but this one is mainly just lacking. You need to detail your moves more; they don’t seem vivid enough with your brief explanations. If you don’t want to spend time detailing, be more exact – anything to avoid being unspecific. The special mechanic is, for example, criminally inexplicit – if it affects her
His.

Erm. Sorry. Normally I take criticism without question, but this was nagging at me.

Smady

Smash Master
Oh, sorry about that. I didn't mean it as an insult, I just figured with a name like Jade it was a woman.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Anyways, by skimming, Takamaru and Slugma look great. I'll comment better later.
Glad to hear it. :bee:

Takamaru: I was very pleased with this moveset. You've crafted a very suitable, very fitting set of moves. The way it was written could have been a little punchier and there are some real oddball attacks in there (randomly puffs a smoking pipe), but this was a very strong moveset from you.
And yet again, Playstyle (against) is "pressure pressure pressure". It suits the character and playstyle this time, for him to be unable to take what he dishes out, but this is getting to the point where pressure beats everything.

And what's with Downed, Flipped and Tripped attacks? Is there a point to making them different attacks? That's a rhetorical question, and the answer is NO
I'm glad to hear it. The tobacco, I understand that it's somewhat random, but... I have no excuse. >_< Strong, I like that adjective. Yeah, pressure is overused, I guess... you notice everything, Junahu. :p I think that they are all different attacks in Brawl, but I'm not sure because I don't play it anymore.

TAKAMARU: Wow great job, but I mut say as soon as I saw the sword I was already thinking moves with hitboxs as long as Marth's moves. I was quickly proven wrong and Tatakmaru seems like a very fun character ( hard to use but still fun). The Back seems more like more cons then pros though, but see that one of his few kill moves makes it seem even worse :(. So playing as Tatakmaru is basically pressure as much as you can or die). Great moveset. Him being a rather large character but low weight was a nice surprise though. The moveset was easy to read as well. But I guess characters with high priority moves can easily beat him up.
Thanks. Yeah, he has a bit of range, but I decided to shorten the katana so I can stop abusing ranged character (seriously, so many of my movesets have used that).

They're different in actual Brawl =P
Thanks for the criticism, HR! I really appreciate it.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I'm surprised you're actually the first one to give it a thumbs down (aside from K.Rool :laugh:),
Not sure why, but the way you phrased this cracks me up to no end. Very nice. :laugh:

Kangaskhan: This one is awesome with the two special mechanics; they fit together very well. The idea of chasing after Babyskhan, reminds me a lot of Silver’s Excel moveset from MYM5. The give-and-take of this mechanic is truly impressive and its role throughout is more so, well done on its inclusion. Like Clefable, it’s a small slice of greatness, but the pitfalls that actually make sense put it above its ‘cute’ counterpart. The organisation, though not as personified or glammy as Cleffy, is still very good as well. Good work, Krool.

On that note, this very longified edition of my catch-up is over.
Nice, nice. Somehow, even though you comment on literally every single set, you manage to give some of the best comments, proving that you don't HAVE to sacrifice quality for quantity. You make everyone else look bad, Dad. :bee:

Thanks for the criticism, HR! I really appreciate it.
:laugh:

Isn't that a fantastic smiley? Conveys congratulations and friendliness and general satisfaction all at once. I'm going to start using more smileys beyond the meager selection here.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I am now on work of my second planned moveset. I won't spoil too much of who it will be, but it involves the granting of kids to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom