• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 23; Moveset Contest! Top 50 posted! Congratulations everyone! 23 is dead; see you in 24 on Feb. 24th!

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

I've done a lot of introspection in the recent few Make Your Moves, and 23 has been perhaps the most introspective. It goes without saying that 2020 was a rough year. Working as an essential worker during one of the most stressful and dangerous times I've been alive for kept me busy both physically and mentally. Not only did this give a huge case of writer's block but I also found myself unwilling to read or comment others' sets as well. I was basically running on survival instincts and just relying on MYM for some bonus social interactions that I couldn't get in person anymore. Being constantly exhausted, however, I was far from the most active in MYM even socially.

I won't get too in depth about the actual drama that emerged this contest, but I will touch on how it affected me. A lot of things were happening between the scenes with members and leadership, conversations and actions with I understandably wasn't privy to. Spending most of my online time on Discord in a chat branched off from MYM, I sought out inclusion pretty desperately, exaggerated by the inability to hang out with friends, go to the movies or bars. When things started to go downhill I didn't really have the information to pick sides, but a wedge was still hammered between MYM and my trust as a result and my MYM inactivity was heightened. It wasn't until I was given the full picture where I could confidently make a decision that ran with my beliefs.

Since then I've been much more focused on MYM. This contest saw the most commentary I've ever put out (admittedly it was all backloaded). I secured both 7th place and 26th place in a very competitive contest. I have set plans out the wazoo and am currently switching between four sets actively and adding to them. I am very glad to be a part of this community as the last few contests especially I have felt valued and wanted around. Not just in terms of my setwork and commentary, but just to be around for conversation. It's nice! I'm glad I'm back on my feet after the second half of this contest.

First off, congratulations to US for a well-earned victory on top of an all around productive contest! "Lucky" Louise was an incredible set with a near perfect score on votes and for good reason! She's the kind of set that would normally end up falling short of the potential given how many options it has, but instead you went all out and bled every drop of potential from this Fantendo article turned character. Also mad props on characterization here, Louise manages to feel like a long running and established character with the way you wrote about her and her universe, part of what makes the set so appealing.

Of course, you had not one, not two, but three sets landing in the Top 10, completely dominating this contest. While I wasn't as big a fan of Hina Merrel as a lot of others, I still think she was a great set and I'm happy to see her land 4th. She's got the same kind of complexity that Louise has, though I think Louise tended to be a bit easier to follow. Wriggle Nightbug I was a huge fan of after reading, surprising as I hadn't heard people talk about her as much as Louise or Hina when I got to her. I'm clearly in the minority for preferring her to Hina but either way she took 10th and I can't complain about that. Bleak rounded out your contest in 23rd which is still very respectable in a contest like this, if lower than your other sets. Bleak was simpler than the other three by a fair margin but was still fun to read. Like I said, excellent work on such a solid contest in such a stressful time!

FA continues to not know what the word retirement means, grabbing both 2nd and 18th. FA's a great presence to have around and even between sets is one of the more reliable commentators. Having comments throughout the contest is both important and unfortunately a bit scarce and yours manage to be thorough and objective without coming off as mean. Of course, then you go ahead and drop not one but two excellent sets before having the audacity to retire as a leader. Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts 😏 I joke, of course, you've done excellent work in your time as leadership.

Primordial Darkness was an impressive set. I mentioned in my comment how a lot your sets tend towards playing by their own rules, having very experimental ideas of what makes a moveset tick. Even before balance issues were addressed it was one of the best sets I'd read, being a convincing sell on a pretty abstract character. Sekuna went opposite of PD, playing way more into how Smash and fighting games in general work. While I do think she ended up with too many statuses under her belt she was still a good set and 18th place is no slouch!

Froy's output may have been slower this contest but quality was top notch! Grabbing 4th and 12th is no easy feat, especially when there was such a clear struggle for motivation and setmaking compared to other contests. Despite this, you continue to help other people with their sets, leading to some strong contenders thanks to your input (Mami and from what I understand PD both benefited from your eyes) and you continue to keep people on track for reading, commenting, and voting.

Despite melee generally being considered your thing you continue to dominate with projectile heavy sets. Rufus actually blended the two nicely, combining Rufus' shotgun and coin tricks with Darkstar's melee and command grab to make a really tight combo-focused set that's enjoyable and really fun to envision. Unfortunate he landed outside the top 3 but he placed very well against stiff competition. Shou added onto the pile of Touhou sets we got this contest and while Wriggle beat her out by a bit there's no doubt that she did well, especially for an 11th hour set like she was. I'm glad you were able to finish her so you could get at least two sets out this contest, and I do hope you can manage a higher output for 24! (and I do hope you finish that most wanted list for me)

Kupa did not waste any time warming up after properly rejoining last contest! All three of your sets this contest were solid reads and varied heavily from each other, giving a good spectrum to experiment with your setmaking. 5th, 13th, and 20th is a great run that follows up your last contest with aplomb. Our leadership has gone through some rapid changes in recent times and you've stepped up to the plate and helped keep MYM stable over the past year or so. You're a great presence to have around and it's good to see you becoming more and more active in chat as well.

Mysterio was an incredibly made set based on a mostly retired concept in MYM and, like Rufus, is sad to see him walled out of the top 3, especially given he's still my third favorite set this contest. Illusions and trickery were played to their maximum potential here in a satisfying and surprisingly balanced and practical way and leads to one of the most galaxy brain sets out there! Wolfgeist may have missed out on the top 10 but I don't think anyone would complain about him getting a set or the set he got. The passion for the character really shows through the writing and moves, adding a personal depth to the set that really elevates it. skekMal may not have been my favorite set of the contest but does fill an important role in terms of setmaking development as you yourself even mentioned. Practicing a more melee focused set is pretty much never a bad thing as the concepts there can be applied to 99% of the other sets you'll make.

Smady may have missed top 5 just barely but still beat me by placing 6th! Taking a second top 10 win with 9th and going home with 16th are big deals as well. Despite basically everything happening throughout this contest you've stayed an active grounding presence both in the thread and in the chat, even if it took you some time to start getting sets out. Considering how late your first set came out it's impressive you got two more after that! I read your sets in the opposite order I liked them which led to getting more and more hype as I read them.

skekUng I've talked about in detail in comments and chat but I really enjoyed this set and would have really liked to see it place top 5. It's a really brilliant take on a minion set that packs a lot of creatures and constructs in that do way more than just acting as extra hitboxes. There's a lot of clever use of mechanics and references to the Dark Crystal that make this set really flourish in my eyes. Armano in 9th feels about right, another enjoyable set and with some excellent writing to boot. Armano plays a different minion game, instead relying fully on his underlings, er, his son, to fight for him. Obviously this is for balance so that Armano doesn't completely steamroll the opponent. Il Blud was a great set to read, getting a YGO monster set from someone who doesn't normally do them this time. Given how fast Il Blud was written taking 16th is an impressive feat and it seems to have kickstarted an interest in YGO again from you, so hopefully you'll visit the series again for future sets.

Kat's output has been insane this contest, with only GolisoPower beating you out for set count. 8 sets, all of which placed, is a damn fine job, not to count being on top of commenting throughout the contest. You've really earned your spot back on leadership after this contest, and leaving with 8th is very respectable. I do think there was an unfortunate case of different sets appealing to different people in a very competitive contest that hurt your rankings a bit, but of all the problems to have that's a good one. You really showed the breadth of your ideas and Smash knowledge leading to an incredibly diverse lineup of sets (I'm going to talk about the top 4 here for the sake of brevity).

Pennywise was beloved by many and is an excellent love letter to a character with a solid history and fanbase in MYM. There's really nothing else that could even be featured in a set for everyone's favorite dancing clown, and it's fun to see mindgame sets resurge so much this contest. Great work here! It's no secret that I was a huge fan of Dragonmaid Chame, and landing as my 6th favorite set this contest is a pretty big deal. I was a bit torn on the Dragonmaid movement last contest and was happy to see it refined in Chame for a really slick and smooth set. Jalter was a set that could have honestly ended up anywhere in the top half of the contest and not surprise me, but I'm glad she ended up closer to the top 10 than farther. Excellent job in terms of making minions feel fleshed out and relevant beyond just serving as hitboxes, and very fun as a lightweight hardhitter. Hotaru Futaba may not have been the Futaba we wanted but she is the Futaba we needed. She's an impressively written fighting game set that has a unique way of focusing on defense. Bringing the TOP mechanic into MYM hopefully sticks because that opens a wide range of possibilities for characters.

WCF continues to impress in MYM with a solid output grabbing both 17th and 29th. While Kilton may have placed much higher in the past I would say that your output here is still better, just unfortunate that other sets pushed your rankings down. Cap'n Cuttlefish is absolutely supervote material, it just ended up that a good chunk of the sets this contest were supervote material. Cuttlefish did an excellent job at really experimenting with inputs while still blending them into a cohesive idea. Daisy was conceptually a bit more focused than Cuttlefish was, and had a fun focus on stage control with some unique constructions. You've shown clear improvement over the last few contests despite placements slipping, so I hope you come back with a vengeance and take a top 3 spot with Daisy Fire Emblem.

Almand has had an incredible outing. Placing with all your output in 22nd, 30th, and 34th is fine work and leaves you primed for an excellent MYM24. Even if Ditto hadn't placed at all you've made it one of the most memorable sets of the contest, completely out-of-the-box thinking especially when compared to your other sets. One of the most fun move-copying mechanics in MYM mixed with surreal, bizarre attack choices keeps this set fresh and iconic. Ty I've mentioned as being an impressive job at a weapon-switching set, and I do think Cooking Mama was a bit underrated as she had fun ways of incorporating and mixing up existing Smash contests. You've shown yourself to be a thorough and dedicated setmaker, so I'd love to see how you turn the commentary on your sets into growth for next contest.

Speaking of growth, bubby continues steady improvement each contest! Another triple-placement run with 25th, 28th, and 33rd, it's great to see you still sticking around MYM after a few bouts of drama. Cyclohm handily grabs your highest place, in no small part due to having a more MYMian base concept with direct stage control. Polterkitty was not to be overshadowed, however, gathering her own fans and having an unabashed full-on melee set. While she may have placed lower Polterkitty feels pretty significant and you should definitely use some of the experience of writing her for future sets. Robobot Armor may not have garnered the same fanbase as either of your other sets but still ended up a solid way to start the competition and a good measure for your growth over the some odd 9 months MYM23 has been running. I am excited to see the kinds of sets you bring to the table for 24, particularly if they are of the Futaba variety.

GolisoPower has proven to be un unstoppable force for setmaking. 12 sets in one contest is insane, especially for a first outing. On top of that placing both 35th and 39th is some excellent work. Your dedication to the craft is admirable and just mathematically speaking we can expect some major growth from you moving forward. The Chosen Undead proved you have the chops for some really inventive setmaking with a lot to set him apart from other sets. Regardless of placement and balance issues, this is a great starting direction for sets and I hope you pursue this line of thinking in the future. Getting Judgement to place is a nice addition as well, which also had some unique ideas in terms of inputs. Glad to have you around and excited for your next dozen sets!

Rychu has also made a return to MYM and cracked both sets squarely into the top 50. Broly and Phoenix are very different as sets, one being an all out bulldozer while the other focusing on more technical gameplay, so it's nice to see you stretching out to try different things while you warm back up. Taking 37th and 38th back to back on top of that is a nice touch as well. You've also been solidly active in the chat as well, making it feel as if you hadn't left! Excited to see what 24 has in store for you and it's good to have you back!

I'm not sure if Chase is even checking the thread anymore but congratulations on securing a spot on the top 50 with Ganon! I don't have too much to say here since you're not a properly active community member but good work!

dilliam may not have placed this time around but did release three sets and has been an active presence in the community and did manage to squeeze in the reading at the end (no judgement as I also was playing catchup lmao). Your sets all have decent bases this time around and a good idea of how Smash plays, I just think they need that extra pizzazz to really catch everyone's attention. Reading and comments help with that, but also I can tell from previews that you are poised to do just this next contest. Don't disappoint me 😠

Torgo the Bear I have not really interacted with in chat or thread very much just due to timing, but in a similar boat I think practice will be what helps you draw attention with your sets more. I would also recommend popping into the chat more frequently just so I can get a better idea of you as a person and getting more moveset advice directly.

Khold finish making Overhaul.

Seriously, though, with everything that happened this past year it's understandable that you, Pnut, and IQ would see a drop in setmaking (though we did get that definitely great definitely original Sonic '06 set for April Fool's!). Hopefully you three can get motivation for setmaking for 24 because it would be great to see y'all comeback. Especially PNut who's been out of it for some time now 😔. Thanks for all staying active in the chat at least!

I think that just about covers everyone...

Ah, oh wait, I'm here too.

I am extremely proud of this contest despite all the issues I was having during it. I came away with 7th place, beating out Gamagori for my highest placing set, and grabbing 26th is nothing to be ashamed of here either. I had some serious breakthroughs in terms of understanding how Smash gameplay works, both as a result of more in depth reading of sets and commenting and also taking playing Smash much more seriously. I think that really shined through with Mami, who I am more than happy to be my current best set. I spent a lot of time designing and refining my ideas for her and it payed off in a major way with her set turning out exactly how I was envisioning it. Big thanks to MYM for being so receptive of her because I put of lot of mental work into her. If she had flopped I'm not quite sure what I would have done to be honest.

Gnasty Gnorc was never intended to be this groundbreaking set or even come close to what Mami accomplished. I was inspired by the Franchise challenge and figured he'd be a fun character to crank out. I do wish I had gotten around to fully fleshing out all my original ideas for him regarding gems and the different Gnorcs but in the end he placed relatively well which was my goal. I might recycle some of those scrapped concepts in Ripto later on down the road but I don't think people were disappointed by Gnasty as he's not quite the highest potential character.

Exeggcute was an April Fool's jokeset gone wild. Originally it was planned on being pretty short like most April Fool's sets but as I wrote I got more and more wild ideas and decided to just go with them and make Exeggcute a fully complete and unviable jokeset. There's fun experiments with ideas in there but I left things very deliberately unbalanced because at the end of the day I didn't really want Exeggcute to be a competitive set, just a joke. The response I got was mixed, but if nothing else FA gave me the exact reaction I was hoping for so all said I would consider this a successful joke.

I'm excited for next competition as I've got a lot of ideas I want to get off the ground as I've shown off in my previews! Excellent work to all who participated in the face of adversity, and to those that didn't I hope that you can get back into it next time around!

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Janx_uwu don't think I don't see you reacting to my post. I wasn't sure who all was keeping up with the thread but Shadow the Hedgehog did have some out of the box thinking that I think means you've got good potential in the future if you stick around. Similar advice with dilliam and Torgo, just post more sets and you'll develop more eye-catching things, though your set was enough for me to make this meme:

6UuKmZi.jpg

I always look forward to more community members so it's good to see you still skulking around in the thread!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
NEWS BULLETIN — MAKE YOUR MOVE 24
With Make Your Move 23 now wrapped with a bow, Make Your Move 24 will rise from the grave on February 24, precisely three weeks from today, with me, myself and I serving the contest's OP. Take a well-deserved breather and, when you're ready, get those drawing board concepts written up so the community can start the competition on a high note!

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
With MYM23 coming to a close, I have to say I find myself very proud of how everyone performed this contest. Its weird, you'd think in a contest where no one in leadership put out more than 4 sets and a lot of regulars underperformed and then left that the contest would fall a bit short. And yet... this wasn't a repeat of MYM19, far from it. A lot of people stepped up, from the incredible quality of sets US and Kupa put out, to Katapultar having a downright incredible contest, to Slavic's massive comment spree and a solid bump in quality from Bubby, the end result was a pretty strong contest full of memorable sets, even if it could be said it wasn't quite as great as MYM22. If this is what we can manage in a year as awful as 2020, I'm seriously excited for what 2021 might hold in store.

First of all, incredible showing by UserShadow, across the board. Not only did you get 1st with Louise, you did with tied for the most SV+ ever recieved by a moveset, and took 2 more with Hina while getting 3rd place as well. I remember back when Jodie was so close to a win in MYM15 but got robbed by some... questionable circumstances, and I personally find it fun that you beat me when I was the roadblock you only barely failed to overcome back then. Fun how that works out. And both of those sets are fantastic, by the way, I think it says a lot that I feel like I probably underrated Louise when I was already so high on it, and Hina was an absolutely phenomenal set too. I actually feel I should've made a bigger point of talking up how much I liked Hina, every move is just so full of good ideas and it created a playstyle with so much depth to it I feel like I can barely see the bottom of that abyss. Wriggle was also a great set, and Bleak might not have been my thing at first, but the edits you made helped the set significantly and it ended up doing a lot better on my vote list than I thought it would.

Of course, it wasn't just UserShadow who had a great showing. I mentioned Kat before, but the guy seriously had like... 6 or so sets I'd consider SV worthy in some capacity? Only 2 of them(Pennywise and Hotaru) made it as my SV list ended up pretty stuffed this contest, but I'd be making a mistake if I didn't mention that Jalter, Ayesha, Chame, and Ochako were also all incredibly enjoyable sets. Not to mention an exceptional level of commenting and reading, I hope the fact that Kat's placings top out at 8th don't take away from the fact that he felt like the star of the contest at times. Its an honor to give him my position in leadership, and even if he's not feeling the set ideas flow immediately I'm confident he'll do great in the job. And if you ever need me for anything Kat, just ask.

I also want to shout out Slavic here, I know you went through some very difficult experiences this contest, both RL and online, and in the end you handled it like a champ and did some downright incredible end of contest commenting. I actually always thought you gave solid feedback, but you said some particularly helpful stuff this time around, helping me solidify Primordial Darkness' balance changes and I suspect being quite helpful to many others too, as well as giving a solid idea of what your taste is and where certain sets excel and fall short. As for your set work, Mami and Gnorc feel like solidification of the progress you made in MYM23, with Mami getting a lot of praise for very good reason. Its clearly your best set ever and outplaced Gamagoori in a vastly more competitive contest, feeling like a culmination of all the lessons you learned in PaniK, Bakugo, and Kano last time around. I was impressed with Gnorc too, despite the set's simplicity, I think you've figured out how to sell that stuff in a way you hadn't quite to me in the past. I think the future's looking bright for you especially with how motivated you sound, and I hope sometime soon the pandemic will clear up enough that you can have your social life back.

Kupa's performance this time around was also fantastic, going for a clear quality over quantity approach with 3 very solid sets. The standout was Mysterio, a set that feels significantly underrated even at 5th place as it revitalized a completely dead genre in a way that got some insanely high ratings and left many people stunned it was even possible to make a mindgames set this good. In spite of Smady's difficult experiences both in and out of the community, he still held strong and put out 3 sets, including 2 that Top 10'd in Amano and SkekUng, the latter of which being a particularly awesome set. I know you're bummed out about failing to hit Top 5 this contest, but here's something to keep in mind. Your Top 5 streak actually held in the past from MYM9 to MYM14, only breaking in 15 with Albert Wesker at 8th. Then it was Top 5 every contest from MYM16 until now. So I'm sure you'll be able to get a third streak going, based on that track record. While for Froy he didn't manage the all star performances he had in 21 and 22, Rufus and Shou were both incredibly solid sets, and its hard to blame you for getting caught up in the chaos of this year. You were still a really good friend to me throughout the hard times we've had lately, and you've really helped me get through all the crap that's been happening lately.

Its nice to see Rychu returning after all this time, warming up with sets for Broly and Pheonix and also voting and putting out some pretty detailed comments. I'm glad to have you back, and if a certain preview you've shown us is any indication, I suspect you're about to become the most competitive you've ever been in the coming contests. I feel I got off on the wrong foot with Dilliam, but honestly, you're a pretty cool guy and I think you're going to make great progress as you come to grips with what you like in MYM sets. As I mentioned earlier, I was surprised by the amount of improvement Bubby's made this time around, as he grows more comfortable with his style and develops on the lessons learned from Whisper and Zeraora. While I liked Robobot Armor less than some, its a solid enough set, and Polterkitty's sweetspot-based playstyle and Cyclohm's interaction tree supplemented by good melee were both fun sets to see play out.

WCF had another good pair of sets with Daisy and Cuttlefish, the latter showing a lot of the drive that got Kilton his sky high 5th placement back in the day even if it couldn't quite replicate that feat. I'm sure you will one day man, because both your sets this time were quite good. Almand was a huge, welcome surprise for me, I had no idea what to think when you just dropped a 25,000 word set for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger of all characters out of nowhere. Then it was actually good, only to be surpassed by the absolute concept bomb that was Ditto that is one of the best takes on the move copying genre I've seen. You've got a very inventive mind dude, and I think the sky's the limit for you. Lastly I know Khold had a pretty stressful time this contest, so I can't really blame him for sitting it out, but I still want to give him a shout out for being a cool dude in chat.

So now to talk about myself, and well. There's stuff I'm happy with and stuff I'm not. I actually feel pretty happy with my set output this time around, particularly because both Primordial Darkness and Sekuna were fun to write. Sure, I didn't make as many sets as I could have, nor did I make Yawgmoth my 50th celebration set like I planned but, you know, I'm sure I can still make Yawgmoth an event when he happens. And given I sat most of the contest out, the fact that I managed 2 sets was something I'm quite happy with.

To go over them individually, Primordial Darkness really was a balance experiment that came down to something kind of simple. I really liked the boss fight as a culmination of PSO2's long running journey full of flashy spectacle... but I didn't quite know how to make this thing feel like an awe-inspiring threat without breaking the game in half. So, I did everything I could to make it happen anyway, making the character as boss-like as possible while still feeling fair and having counterplay, the extreme superheavyweight fighting style being my best idea on how to approach that. I didn't actually aim to make the set wildly complex or deep like I did Xehanort, it was more about the surface level wow factor of seeing these attacks in the game at all while still trying to link them in a compelling way. I guess that's why I wasn't really expecting it to perform as well as it did, the goal wasn't really extreme playstyle nuance so much as "how do I make the most HRGHRGHRGH SMASH playstyle possible while still being functional". Apparently, though, the set playing so well on its own, extreme terms actually was a real hit for people, so much so it got 2nd place in an extremely competitive contest and frankly I'm floored and honored you guys like it that much.

Since the contest's over, I do feel I can nitpick my own set a bit here, and I think if there's one area I botched the set a bit its the throws. I feel FThrow and UThrow came out fine, but BThrow just delving into the elemental mechanics a second time in such a weird and wonky way really did not pan out in the end. Its not a move really suited to the set, where Primordial Darkness has to line up multiple specific things to actually make it work on a character who is really just trying to keep landing singular, massive hits through complicated setups to do that, and the effects weren't too compelling either. DThrow I can agree the effect on wasn't the most fun even if I don't hate it, and may have just been me stretching to try to make a neat effect for the throw animation I was very proud of for its surreal nightmarishness. That said, I'm quite happy with most of how the rest of the set came out, and... honestly I do think it might not measure up to Xehanort, but its still among my best ever for how it juggles some extremely difficult to balance concepts in a way that somehow sold everyone on it.

Sekuna, by comparison, was made as a contrast point to Primordial Darkness, her attacks dialed back and almost subtle in nature while being the extreme lightweight glass cannon with the cannon part being contextual. In contrast to, well, Ganondorf x 10 or something. She was my attempt to go back to Zer0's concept of stacking damage increasing debuffs on the foe through precise combo strings and positioning, but with an attempt to put a bit more into the individual hitbox than Zer0 had. I'm quite happy with how stuff like Up Special came out, and for what was supposed to be a quick experimental set she ended up more competitive than I was expecting. Probably because her creation got dragged out a bit to try to give her a bit more flare, admittedly. I'll admit that the initial moves that introduce her debuff mechanics could've maybe been given a bit more interesting on their own, as some of her later moves with the same mechanics are. And... honestly, her being an on the spot OC shows a bit, the long backstory more feeling like a justification for her powerset and being sad than anything particularly interesting besides that. Maybe I'll be able to give her more substance in the future, I'm not UPSET with the character I made here but I know I can do better.

As an aside, I do think writing both these sets with the intent to try to experiment with stuff outside my usual comfort zone was honestly a lot of fun, especially given they were both so well received. I talked a lot about being sick of writing sets in MYM22, and I don't really feel that's the case anymore, even if I can't promise how frequent it'll be. MYM is at its most fun when you're just writing what you want to write, not just writing to win or place high, and while I ended up placing high anyway because I don't know I guess that's just how it worked out, it was mostly just nice to see some interesting reactions to the stuff I made this time. I can promise there will be more sets in both the style of the Primordial Darkness and Sekuna going forward, so look forward to that.

The non-setmaking side is... where I'm less happy with myself, if I'm being honest. I know this isn't really relevant to most people in MYM, but I failed to make significant writing process throughout the entirety of MYM23, only getting one major thing completed. I'm really ashamed of my progress on that, its not like I haven't had time, I've just been drowning in stress. The omnipresent threat of the coronavirus has been just one of many, many things that have been keeping me down the past year, and only in the past month or so have I been starting to make progress towards a healthier mental state. But it hurts to lose a year like that on my personal projects, and its fortunate I have my sets to point to as any sort of accomplishment or I'd feel a lot worse. I'd also say, honestly, I could really have done better on the commenting side, I failed to comment a lot of sets I meant to and I really hope next contest I'm more on the ball with that.

Looking at Slavic's comment on the last year, I feel the same, in a lot of ways. First of all the whole "essential worker in a pandemic" thing sure is not fun, and its really never stopped being a problem, and there's been plenty more than just that to worry about this past year. But inside the community, well. I'd probably be better off not going into much detail on the drama, but I'll just say I really put myself out there, trying to be a positive influence for the community and really do everything I could to unify us. Well, MYM ended up a united, happier community in the end, but to say my efforts were misguided and a lot of my time was wasted would be an understatement. The amount of drama going on in the community was an absolute drain on me that really did sap my ability to do much of anything else a large portion of the time, and even now I'm finding it hard to fully recover which. It sucks. It really does. I wish I could say I had the same motivation as Slavic right now but I just don't, and I really hope that'll change soon.

And, well, its been mentioned a lot, but I am finally stepping down from leadership. For one, because I've wanted out of the obligation for a long time, I've always found it pretty taxing to know I'm tasked with weighing in on so many questions, a lot of which just don't have easy answers. That and if I miss a contest in terms of sets or whatever, I'd like not to be setting a bad example in the process, there's clearly people with more consistent motivation than me. Not to mention all the drama over the years, which has been wearing away at me for a long time and even if we took massive steps away from it with the most recent events, its just all too much. You do this stuff for nine years and it gets tiring, even if there were a lot of things I'm proud of that I did and a lot of really gratifying moments.

So as I step down and leave Kat in the role, I suppose I'll say a couple things. I put myself down a lot, but honestly? I'll let myself be proud, just this once. I stuck with leadership from MYM12 to MYM23, which is a good majority of contest's entire lifespan and I was making sets and comments the whole way through. And I didn't just make sets and comments, as I remember Junahu mentioned back in the day that wasn't the only quality of a good leader. I've previewed sets to make sure the final results were everything the setmakers hoped they would be, and I've met a lot of people who really were a blast to work with. I made friends with people in chat, and coworkers in leadership, some of which have stuck around a long time and become very close. I helped rework the voting system with vote plus and voter bonus, allowing more individual expression in votes, less ties, and removing a loophole that would give non-voting participants a significant advantage. This contest isn't the same place it was when I first came and, honestly? I'm much happier with where it is now, and I'm proud of the part I played in that.

But, you know, it wasn't just me. I've had a lot of people help me in leadership throughout the years, and I'd like to thank of the people who have helped lead alongside me.

• FrozenRoy
  • Smash Daddy
  • BKupa666
  • UserShadow
  • Katapultar
  • MasterWarlord
  • LegendofLink
  • JOE
  • Munomario

I wouldn't be able to leave feeling as proud of myself as I did without being able to work alongside all of you. And... the rest of you too, who have been with us in MYM throughout the years. Its been an honor to work for you, and I hope to stay around and continue as we make our moves for a long, long time.

Shame MYM is dead though, RIP.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
This was one heck of a contest to come back to, I'll tell you that much.

Considering this contest was my first foray back into MYM in about 2 years, I couldn't be happier with where the community I feel I grew up with is. My last set was posted around the time I left college to go into the working world, and I felt like I couldn't justify putting my time into this while attempting to be a functioning member of society. Turns out, my thinking was flawed - MYM is a wonderful creative outlet away from my other more life-oriented ones, and it feels amazing to be back. It feels strange to say it, but during the time I was gone I really missed this strange little corner of the internet. When I picked Ultimate up (a while after its release...) the old flame came back, and I couldn't be more thankful to you wonderful folks to welcome me back with open arms. It truly feels like I never left, like seeing old friends you haven't in a while (which, to be fair, is exactly what it was). Honestly, I was still tentative about fully coming back into the fold after I posted Phoenix, but coming to the thread and reading these insane sets and spending time really put a boot to my ass to try and slot back in. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone for letting this old-timer back into the fray.

As for the top 42 itself, I think everyone's summed up the most poignant things to say about the results, so I won't bore you by repeating the heaping praises everyone has rightly received. Astonishing work from every single person, especially considering the amount of stress I'm sure each and every one of you was under while working this contest. Such is the way the world's been this last year. I'm incredibly happy to see the amount of new faces gracing the list, as well as the ridiculously competitive old faces duking it out for the top spots. I mean this when I say (and have said, repeatedly in the chat) that had even half of the sets that made to list come out just a few years ago when I left, they'd each be strong contenders for top 10, maybe even top 5. Each one of you is deserving of your spot, and I'm so excited to see the wacky shenanigans you all get up to in the coming contest. Also, for everyone who saw fit to vote for my 2 little works, I appreciate you so much. It really makes coming back all that more sweet to have a 100% placement rate. Ratio, baby!

Speaking of the coming contest, I've mentioned in the chat want to put it here in the thread to hold myself accountable (and so you can all bother me if I slack off), I'm going to be compiling a dedicated list in the form of google docs of every comment posted for every set, making it easily accessible to anyone who wants to review the (hopefully constructive) criticism or praises people heap on your work. This is for a few reasons:
  1. To make them easy to find without having to tab through the thread and/or look through the 10 or so google docs various people have begun using to compile their comments,
  2. To give everyone an idea of sets that have received less comments, hopefully prompting people to read them to fill out that set's section and make sure everyone is receiving the love, and
  3. To give myself a more active role in the community, to make sure I'm putting in the effort to not only participate but make a positive impact on our little corner of the internet.
Comments and reviews are the lifeblood of the the contest, and honestly I think the way we make ourselves accountable to appreciate the blood, sweat and tears everyone pours into their work. Please, when contest starts and the comments start rolling in, feel free to shoot me a DM on here or through Discord to let me know if I miss when one's posted. I'm not gonna be reviving any weekly rankings or anything, but I think it might spark a little competitive fire to see your name listed under all these sets.

Onto an amazing MYM 24. I know I have big plans for the contest, and I'm sure the rest of you do too.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Feels like it's been a long time since I made a Top 50 post like this one, since I missed out in MYM22 and MYM21, although bizarrely almost nobody made Top 50 posts in MYM21. Guess I've been a real Slifer Slacker in that regard, huh? Time to fix that!

Before everything else, a great congratulations to UserShadow! The win is more than well deserved with Lucky Louise, a set which I loved as soon as I read it and which never let up on the gas, it's a pretty wild set that certainly shows the power of creativity that usually rules the top of the MYM roost. It's certainly been a bit overdue too: It's felt like pretty much since your return way back in MYM12 that you've been a threat to win, with 2nd in MYM14 and 3rd in MYM15 (by one point!), but it really took until MYM21 for your full potential to be realized. After Rime and Naomi both were in the low end of the Top 10, it's good to see a major breakthrough into a win and Top 5 here!

It's also just nice to get some fresh blood into the winner's circle: You're our first new Make Your Move champion since MYM16, when Kat won! And only two people have won in the past 5 contests, despite my best efforts of 3x 2nd place, so it's good to see the fact that the top end really is competitive where lots of people can potentially win bore out fruit this contest.

As far as contest's go, Make Your Move 23 was certainly one fraught with worry, as 2020 was for pretty much everyone. With, you know, the whole global pandemic and all that jazz, real bugger all around, I know people like ForwardArrow and Slavic ended up especially affected given their essential worker jobs. And WeirdChillFever actually GOT the virus for a while, scary stuff and made it so he couldn't really vote this contest. I get to basically be a hermit so it doesn't affect me quite AS much, but there's still some stress when getting groceries, and when it first dropped was a HUGE worry.

As all of you know, for reasons I won't discuss I was without power for multiple years, and so when the Coronavirus pandemic started up it was very scary as it meant the possibility of either going all this time with no power (which would have driven me insan) or something since can't go out. Fortunately, we were able to get the power back on (spurred on by ForwardArrow offering to help. It turned out not necessary, but god it was really nice for him to have my back in a HUGE way here), allowing me to live as a normal person again for the first time in about five years. To give an idea, the last time I had power was before Make Your Move 18 began and The Butcher was released, with only intermittent bouts of about 2-4 weeks of power a year during that time. When I first got it back on, as FA can attest too, I kept getting spooked by the fridge for a few days because I wasn't used to hearing it running.

While getting the power back on was very positive, and when I AM productive means I get to be much more productive as opposed to writing Black Polnareff in multiple sessions inside a gym, I would say it was also partially responsible for some of my inactivity this contest because. Like. After so long not getting to live normally, there was a lot of spending time just relaxing and resetting my life and chilling, it's true this taking months might have been kinda much but it definitely impacted my setwork for most of the contest. Getting a Switch and oodles of games helped in the sense of more ideas for sets and a LOT of better Smash knowledge + gameplay for me, but it naturally was also able to distract me greatly, although the distraction wasn't nearly as bad after settling in.

On top of everything else that would happen regardless of what the contest did, Make Your Move 23 was bookended by drama both at the start and end of the contest. In that regard, it certainly feels like a somwhat unique and transitional contest! Personally I would rather not dwell on this in my writeup, especially as Slavic and ForwardArrow went over it so well already, but I will note that I have told people that the big day a bunch of stuff went down was one of the worst days of my life it felt like, and yeah it was that bad. But the community seems to have come together, and I think if anything we seem invigorated by it. Make Your Move is dead, but much like Director K. Rool would say it is a great zombie story!

With that said and done, I'm gonna run through my thoughts on some Top 50 placings, loop back around to being introspective on my own sets and end with some discussion of some people's overall contests...and post my previews, in a slightly different format!

Mysterio: Like everyone else, I have to say that Mysterio not getting Top 3 is one of the biggest shocks of the contest, as everyone I talked to predicted a combination of Lucky Louise, Mysterio and Hina to be the Top 3. Don't get discouraged, though! With two Top 5s already, it's only a matter of time for one to break through that little extra bit to reach the podium...and 5th place is nothing to sneeze at to begin with!

Mami Tomoe: I was REALLY hoping this set would manage to outplace Gamagori and was thinking it had a legitimate shot to Top 5 this entire contest, in the end it fell short of the Top 5 but did outplace Gamagori in a significantly tougher contest! As seen by how well it stuck at the top of my rankings and eventually I decided to move it to 10 Star, I was highly impressed with this set: It is more than deserving of being the best placing Madoka set...although it'll be fun to see if anyone out here beats it. FA with Homura, me posting Sayaka, or maybe Kat out of nowhere with a TUMMY PUNCH? There's a lot of possibilities.

Dragonmaid Chame: Given how great I thought this set was, I thought there was a good chance this would go under the radar. Glad that wasn't the case! This is a clean and easy read that gets a ton out of it what it does and something I'd love to see more of.

Ayesha Altugle: This set was one of the ones with the widest vote spreads in the contest, gaining at least one of every vote except for SV+, and I know it was in contention for a SV+ slot too. It certainly shows there's a market for more item-y Atelier sets! If you ask me, there's an undercurrent to this set that it would be a serious contender if it pulled it all together with the concept in the end, food for thought for future setmaking.

Daisy: What are the odds this would tie our previous highest placing Daisy set?

Everything else I have about other people's sets I will save to the individual user discussions, so it's time to talk about my own sets, of which I rather unfortunately only had two. Pretty pathetic amount this contest, really. But at least in terms of quality. Rufus Shinra wasn't a pathetic set! I began work on this set basically right after Final Fantasy 7 Remake came out and the fight was posted on Boss Fight Database, which was April 9th for the latter. You'll even see the stray youtube comment joking Rufus "went RWBY", so perhaps it is fitting I'd make his set? The fight is such a cool expansion of the basic Final Fantasy 7 fight and is filled with potential, so it really isn't a surprise for him to get a set so fast.

While I wouldn't put it on the level of some of my absolute best recent sets, I am still quite pleased with Rufus. In particular I am pleased with how simple and intuitive his character control is, and I'd say that's actually one of the defining differences between it, Hina and Amano. Rufus powerset is very simple, guns and coin tricks, so getting the most out of how to really connect him + Darkstar together was critical and core to the set. Darkstar itself isn't exactly THAT full of potential, it has it's weird body shape and lightning, but it's got more than enough to work alongside Rufus, the end result is two characters full of holes that they plug up with each other. I do like how this brings in the character point of Rufus not being that impressive of a fighter compared to the FF7 heavy hitters, relying on tricks and gimmicks to be that strong. Though, one thing I worry about this set (which Khold somewhat pointed out) is I do wonder if it is overpowered. Rufus has a lot of holes, sure, but he's probably still mid tier-ish without Darkstar, so does he get too oppressive or strong if mastered? It isn't a case where I am hugely worried, but it is enough I kept an eye on it.

Fun fact: If Rufus' lone RV+ became an SV, he would have gotten 2nd with unanimous SVs! I was all geared up to post some funni memes if that happened, but it didn't, it also goes to show how strong Louise was that she'd still handily win. Pretty pleasantly surprised he got 4th regardless, though, as I was definitely anticipating that I'd drop out of the Top 5 (I had Louise, Mysterio, Hina, Primordial Darkness and skekUng pegged for the Top 5 for most of voting with Rufus/Mami as outside options). Considering I only had two Top 5s until Make Your Move 20, this streak of four Top Fives I've got going is a nice change of pace! Feels like Rufus wasn't anyone's #1, but was everyone's #5 or so. Although I will say I think the Top 5 is more accurate if you swap the gunslingers, if you catch my drift.

Shou Toramaru was a set I posted as a Dodongo because I hated the idea of finishing with only one set, it really REALLY chafed me, and I had gotten ideas for how to finish it past the Smashes before I posted it. The Specials of this set were actually written way back in Make Your Move 18 and with the exception of Up Special's later edits barely changed from then. The Smashes were also all concepted then with the exception of Down Smash's wave, which originally in concept would just split upon gem piles but I got a more fun idea writing it. The rest of the ideas came to me this contest, although some got pretty tweaked, for example Down Tilt changed about three times in my head as I considered multiple options to go with it. The release of Sephiroth also caused my NAir plans to change dramatically, originally it was going to be a Palutena-esque combo move, but for the better.

I'm pretty happy with this overall. FA said he felt Shou was a true contender when I previewed it back then and I'd say the fact she got 12th in a competitive contest like half a decade later bears fruit on that. Compared to Rufus, which got much more minor edits, Shou saw significent edits to make Up Special a move much more woven into the playstyle alongside other tweaks. Smady liking the characterization along with Kupa was something that pleased me, but I do think some of the characterization nags at me because I'm pretty peculiar about my Touhou characterization. Nothing is out of place as stuff Shou can do and I did stuff plenty from her fight in, but I feel like the basis being something inferred from her powers feels a bit odd, and I'm not sure it is quite as well grounded in the fight as I'd hope. I'd be curious what other people thought about how well I translated the fight to the moveset.

12th is a pretty great place for it, as IMO while I really liked it and would have loved it to Top 10 I don't think it is truly one of the 10 best sets in this contest and if anything I'm happy a set like Chame can get above it. But it still gets a high placement that I feel it deserved, as well. It also feels good for me to get my Touhou streak back on after a long drought between Nue and Utsuho. Hopefully I can get more of that out in the years to come! Now onto user talk.

U UserShadow7989 : Yo man, seriously, it's been too long for you to not just get this win, but those Top 5 placings! The triple Top 10 is great to see from you and a big leap forward considering you've mostly gotten 1 lower Top 10 since MYM15. Louise and Hina pretty clearly had heart and soul put into them and Wriggle is a set I'd been anticipating for a looong time, it's actually pretty funny both Touhou sets that placed are oldies in waiting lke that!, I was happy to see Wriggle get rewarded for as good as I thought as I felt it was with Chame as a somewhat under the radar set. Bleak was also a fun Froyian remake of someone else's set, funny Kupa had that happen twice this contest, and I think you did an excellent job editing it up with time.

If you can put out that strong of sets when you were dealing with a bunch of other stuff dragging you down, who knows what highs await you in the future? I do hope the set amount will amp up some, but it's impossible to complain with sets as great as these! And with your mind feeling a lot clearer and the obvious fire you've got for the next contest, well, it seems like you're more than ready to go.

ForwardArrow ForwardArrow : Speaking strictly in terms of best-set-placement, your current streak has to be the best MYM's ever had, right? From MYM18 to MYM23 you've won three times, gotten second two more times and only not gotten 1st/2nd once with Snoke in 7th. Though I'd say PD getting 2nd was rather an upset, I did say I expected the set to be a contender, fortunately FA did team up against the evils of FA to prevent the continued FA win streak. Sekuna was also a pretty nice set and I am glad to see you pump out a bit of a faster, direct set: More FA sets is always good so seeing a bit more out to go with the big inevitable contender set was nice.

Leaving aside all the set talk, though, it's just been good to have you around as a friend. All the help you offered when it came to my power was above and beyond what I'd even think of asking for and led to my life position improving a fair deal. You've been there through thick and thin with me, y'know? It's nice to be so close to someone. I'm able to put a lot of trust in you, and I hope I'm able to meet your own trust in me.

BKupa666 BKupa666 : Pretty crazy that you went from being dead with only the brief re-appearance of an awful Petey Pirahna set, after a lackluster MYM13 too, and instantly ascended to two Top Five finishes and a set that if anything feels like it didn't get it's due at 5th! Only three sets this contest but all pretty quality with Wolfgeist 13th and skekMal 20th as well. I was admittedly lower on those latter two than most, but given they got 8 and 7 stars for me that's hardly an indictment! Maybe next contest we'll see a bit more pumped out, too? Whatever the case, I wouldn't get discouraged over missing the podium: Keep putting out great sets and they'll rise to the top eventually.

Smady Smady : I know that you're feeling bad about missing the Top 5 for the first time in a loooong time, since Make Your Move 15, but skekUng still did great and came down to the wire on a 5th place tie. There's a lot to lift your head up and take pride in between 6th, 9th (69? Nice...) and 16th. A lot of MYMers would kill for that kinda placing! The edits to skekUng also really paid off, IMO, and I feel it'll be a pretty well remembered set. I'd also say that while Il Blud wasn't a top end contender, it WAS a lot of fun to read and I was super excited to see you tackle a Yu-Gi-Oh set, I'd love to see you do it again or given the recent Cyber Sleuth discussion seeing you tackle a Digimon set would be really cool! I know they might not seem super connected, but I think Digimon also has some "surprise hype", and both of the franchises have the feeling of playing second fiddle to a bigger competitor (MTG/Pokemon). Plus, you've got some pretty fun tastes on both YGO monsters and Digimon so it'd provide a different flavor than me or FA.

I know that for many reasons, including a lot outside MYM, the past year has been really rough for you. But you're always welcome in Make Your Move, and I do hope that even if it isn't always exactly as expected that the high placings and comments on your sets help assauge some of that stress. And hopefully, things will get better outside of Make Your Move as well.

Slavic Slavic : The promised potential of Slavic that truly appeared in MYM19 and slept for a while only to be reignited in MYM22 really blossomed with Mami's Top 10 here, which shows to all of MYM that you can pull out some pretty strong tricks and be a threat any contest, but I already talked about that set to death so lemme just give a shoutout to Gnasty Gnorc. It's far from a perfect set, but I think the fact it snagged a 26th the same as PaniK and thus in the realm of Bakugo shows that you also are putting out consistent RVs, all of your non-jokesets are at least hitting that RV/WV sweetspot that really helps a contest get a strong Top 50. And while it didn't place, Exeggcute was pretty funn for a jokeset, it's always good to have that brevity involved.

I'll also take this one to set aside the movesetting and say, oof, it really sucks how much the last year has been for you. I actually have been trying to connect with you more for a while now, we share a lot of interests it feels and you're quite chill, so with your Make Your Move desires ignited even more it'd be cool if we could do that, I'd love to watch some anime with you or something given you've got some pretty swag picks with Madoka, Land of the Lustrous and so on. Oh, but watch Utena, my inner anime fan demands it. I don't know that I've truly been all that close in your life, but I do hope our various little chats have helped with the social issues you've had.

Katapultar Katapultar : I knew Pennywise would be one of your best placing sets this contest, it was locked in high on Kupa's opinions early and I felt confident Smady would like it, while I was one of the people not as fond of Pennywise I do admire it being a bold experiment that worked together with Mysterio to show MYM isn't as against that kind of thing as people might think. But your contest was far better than just one Top 10 set, helping put the contest on your back alongside users like GolisoPower by providing 8 great sets! Pretty much everyone had at least one Kat set in SV and most people had at least two, a strong showing, and just using overall placing isn't the best way to look at an MYMer's overall contest imo. 8th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 19th is a pretty great top half showing and it keeps going from there. On my own rankings, only one of your sets got below 7 stars!

I'd love to give another shoutout to Chame, whose 11th feels surprising and earned, and also to Jeanne d'Arc Alter which is a set I really wanted you to make that really didn't disappoint! This was one of the sets this contest I felt underplaced, this was easily a Top 10 worthy set that complimented Primordial Darkness greatly, I think it at least deserved to go where Shou is. And I'd say that the fact you had such a variety of sets loved by people, Hotaru and Ayesha for example, shows that you're a master at a lot of genres. Keep up that great work and I'm sure you'll be able to return to that winner's circle!

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever : God damn it sucks to hear you got the Coronavirus during voting, I hope the recovery since then hasn't been bad, Cap'n Cuttlefish was apretty great set unfortunately pushed out by a glut of 9+ sets that left even great sets in RV+ range. Cap'n Cuttlefish would have gotten an SV in MYM21, for example. It's pretty obvious you've got the potential to at least pump out a strong set a contest, but much like Slavic you've started consistently putting out some fun Top 50 filling sets such as Daisy, Daisy and Daisy. You've certainly come a long way from Joint Captain Toad and Ghost Gang! Showing off your art and writing has been fun to see as well from a non-MYM perspective. I look forward to Daisy Fire Emblem locking down the 29th slot for the next contest, and all the other sets you make too.

Almand Almand : Yo man, this is a reeeeeeal nice second contest, and given you only made one set last time borderline first contest, 22nd/30th/34th is a good deal better than most first timers do. But even beyond that you've got a clear and distinctive style, you're one of the only people in the contest who feels close to Katapultar funny enough, and on top of that Ditto really penetrated the contest consciousness as a memorable and totally wild set. Seeing something so outside the "norm" of Make Your Move is a treat for sure. And I mentioned this before but Ty's set is part of what got me to buy Ty the Tasmanian Tiger on Switch, so that's some good advertising work! I hope you'll continue to put together some nice sets, maybe you'd even comment or vote next contest? It'd nice to see you around more, anyway.

bubbyboytoo bubbyboytoo : He is ignored no more! Speaking seriously though, your slow and steady rise has been a model example of an MYMer's growth over multiple contests: Starting off in MYM21, where Jupiter's strong and out there character choice helped snag some WVs but otherwise a bit of a whiff, followed by MYM22 where Zeraora/Whisper significently build on Jupiter's WV base to both place (and most of your sets at least getting one vote), and now in MYM23 getting to the Cyclohm/Polterkitty level where Rvs being mixed in is totally natural and solid mid-point placings aren't all that out there. You've got a bright future ahead, I'd say! Even aside from future improvmeents, I do always love to see sets like Cyclohm/Polterkitty that help fill out the middle, and Robobot Armor would not as good as those two still placed for the Bubby sweep.

Reiga Reiga : It'd be great if you were less of a stranger, man, because when you pop in to make a set it usually ends up fun, and while Fierce Pork Trooper wasn't a super heavy hitter I did find it a memorable one throughout the entire contest, it's full of good fluff and a fun writing style in addition to a satisfying heavy fighting style. I was a big fan of Undyne back in the day and if you ever got producing sets consistently I bet you'd be able to put out at least mid tier competition quickly, I mean hey Fierce Pork Trooper got 27th all by himself! Plus you just seem like a chill dude in our interactions. Hears to pork, anyway!

GolisoPower GolisoPower : Chosen Undead was basically on everyone's WV list and while some people might scoff at that for bizarre reasons, I'd say that's a pretty good accomplishment to start an MYM career, and you even got Judgement on for a double placing. It feels like a lot of your sets had strong ideas but iffy execution, which makes sense when you're new. You've already taken pride in that 35th place, and I like that. You've also been learning a lot from all the feedback you've gotten and by far the most important thing for someone new is their willingness to learn. Apply that next contest and there's a good shot to improve on that placing, or to get more sets on there!

Rychu Rychu : Considering you've pretty much been out of the game for quite a while, only a single set in 18/19/21 with your last consistent production being MYM17, snagging the double placement with Phoenix and Broly is solid and from what I've seen your newest set in production for Make Your Move 24 is set to surpass both of them. It's nice to have you back, a bit of a mellower version fo you too it feels, and I hope your return really sticks this time!

Chase Chase : Hey, look, your Ganon set got on in the end! It was on my WV list, so I am glad that it managed to sneak on there. I dunno if you still pay attention to the thread, but it'd be cool to see you come back for Make Your Move 24 if you're still interested!

dilliam dilliam : You may not have placed this contest, but the fact you went out and voted is cool for a first timer, and you've at least clearly established some of the flavor you might go for in the future. Hopefully you can beef up those sets, then we'll get to see how far you can go!

Kholdstare Kholdstare : It is pretty understandable that the hurricane of horror that was 2020 kept you out of doing much movesetting for many reasons, but I definitely hope to see you around more! Kira felt like a real breakthrough for you and you've been a genuinely good chat presence in a true reversal from the dark meme days of a decade ago. Your commentary and voting in previous contests was also informative and good to see, it's just good to have you around overall, if nothing else getting to chat with you more has been a treat along with playing some Chess and MTG.

IvanQuote IvanQuote : Even if you couldn't get a set out after Sonic 06 Sonic, I'm really grateful you found time to get your voting in. I know that your real life was ROUGH for most of voting period, and your time is valuable man, so the fact that you decided to take the time out to vote meant a lot. Robin did seem like a breakthrough or you, so it'll be fun to see what you can throw out when life calms down for ya.

Altais Altais : Similar to Khold, 2020 really seemed to keep you from activity, but I just wanted to give you a shoutout to say I hope you manage to get that production going again, it'd be nice to see you put out a few sets and maybe catch some of that Copen magic again.

Since I didn't get to say some stuff I wanted to unrelated to the user stuff, I thought I'd just post about two points I feel like the MYM23 bore out that I'd mentioned. First off, that MYM23 was more in the MYM20/21 camp than MYM22 due to a lower backend, the votes drop off pretty hard after Chosen Undead and the Top 42 is the lowest Top 50 we've had since the variable T50 was introduced. The top end WAs pretty dang great though, although I'd say it felt like MYM22's had a bit more variety, but this is splitting hairs because we've had a pretty strong run of great contests at this point that will hopefully continue next contest.

The other point is I've said during and since MYM21 that it isn't like MYM has rejected a lot of creative and wild stuff, just people for some reason became shy about posting duplicate or crazy playground sets even though sets such as those or generally "out there" have always ruled the MYM roost for better or worse. While last contest already rebuked the idea of many archetypes being unusable, see Nox and his pure time stop, and showed wild and crazy sets doing great as well, MYM23 having Louise win, Mysterio do so great, a Ditto set with intense move copying and Pokemon body horror and so on do quite well should put that silly notion to rest.

Oh, right, previews. I'm going to do something a bit new this time around. I'm giving each set a codename "Project" name that in some way ends up relating to the character along with a hint that can help you solve it! Have fun guessing it. if I post the set in MYM24, I'll include the set's project title in the introduction, so you can see which set was which! :)

1. Project: Shadow
Hint: This character comes from the same world as a set I made between MYM20 and MYM23.

2. Project: Skull
Hint: If this character owned a car, they'd own a Mercedes.

3. Project: Dissection
Hint: I'm not the only one who plans to make a set for this Franchise in Make Your Move 24.

4. Project: Black Rose
Hint: The path you must take has been prepared for you.

5. Project: Chiaroscuro
Hint: This character is a follow-up to a set I made in Make Your Move 15.

6. Project: Locked Heart
Hint: They don't fight with any weapons except their bare hands.

7. Project: Little Mermaid
Hint: If you wish for this set to be made, you'll definitely never regret it!

8. Project: Songbird
Hint: This character is pretty connected to a set made in Make Your Move 23.

9. Project: Magician
Hint: Bedside flowers cause the most beautiful life to spring.

10. Project: Turtle
Hint: This character comes from the same franchise as the first preview!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Admittedly, I don‘t have a lot to say about this contest that hasn’t been said better by others. An overdue congratulations for juggernaut UserShadow, whose captivating approach to his own creations make them as beloved as long-standing mascots. A congrats and welcome to the load of newcomers that are starting (and hopefully continuing) to make their mark on MYM, including Rychu stepping it up in the community with the comment bank and Almand, dilliam and bubby all coming in their own this contest. An overwhelming round of applause for the leaders old and new that kept this contest going through the tempest of 2020.

And of course a grand thank you to all who stuck with this internet marvel despite personal circumstances. Thanks to one of the headliners this year, I decided not to vote, and I cannot help but feel regret for that decision when reading through what circumstances our leadership has managed to stand tall, both in movesetting and community service. Their dedication is nothing to sneeze at and I am honored to consider them my friends.
Because of this, I am also very sorry to hear the events that transpired within the community. Their dedication to solving this is once again praise-worthy and I am heartbroken to see this community so torn, knowing how many time and resources leadership has put in it.

Because my involvement in this particular contests has come in bursts throughout the timeloop that was 2020, which at the end of the year ramped up in a loop-de-loop of The Sniffles, I can only look back on my own sets.

Daisy was a set that I always wanted to make. From the the era of post-ballot Smash speculation to the exact reveal of Daisy, my speculation has been aimed at this particular princess and I always wanted to turn the fruits of that research and long-brothing philosophy into a proper MYM set. I am afraid that I don’t consider this set the amalgamation of those years of speculation it was intended to be, but I adore it for what it is: A ballsy, full-steam-ahead MYM set that pushes a character collectively characterized as Peach clone over the top of any reasonable balance.
Aside from that, it was also a good way to learn new ways of movesetting. I always considered myself a source-based setter, where conveying the character is usually second to conveying the mechanics of the games it is associated closest with and the character is always merely a lense that enlarges and diminishes elements from the game they come from. (A philosophy best seen in Cuttlefish, a set built from Splatoon mechanics as seen through a sniper lens)
Daisy, famously, does not have a single game world to focus on, instead appearing throughout the Mario series in all kinds of games and genres. It is a less condensed world, where the only focus and recurrence lies within the flower power she possesses. Scouring through the Mario world for all the possible flowers it could bring Daisy, warping them to fit the one game she is consistently associated with (Super Mario Land) was an endeavor unlike any other.

Cuttlefish I wrote over the summer. What started as a personal Miiverse running joke (We should have Cuttlefish in Smash but with the exact moveset of Rolento from Street Fighter) ended up as a versatile set that takes a core idea of Splatoon (100 damage means you get splatted), attached to a incredibly obscure weapon (The Bamboozler, a lightweight sniper that is most famously known for being able to deal 99 damage in a lightning quick shot) ported to Smash. Being able to use Splatoon mechanics helped enrich the gameplay by having an entirely new pool of mechanics and numbers to look at, but using the character and staying true to his personal weapon means that the focus remains on a single mechanic. I think this set thus really shows my personal attitude towards movesets, and I am glad that this set, so inspired by Wolfgeist and its more disjointed view of mechanics and interactions, managed to place in roughly the same echolon. I am also very glad that it was this disjointed and decentralized view on its inputs, where each input did something unique and fitting for the set, that it was praised for. Always glad to have a philosophy recognized.

Originally, my plans for the next contest were a set-up a bit like this. A more experimental set “to see if I can”, combined with a big set that more accurately reflects what I think will win MYM. However, my plans for my high-scoring set were rooted in a bit of cynicism, planning on a classic minion set that could redirect projectiles to charge a meter, a concept that mostly just ticks a lot of boxes on what archetypes MYM likes. It is much more based on winning, being received well and getting a ticket to the top 5 rather than a set I am intrinsically passionate to write. I will still write it, I think his potential proves too good not to give a crack at him. That said, another set I had planned proves to come along really well conceptually, and is in fact much more ambitious since the original game is nothing like Smash and is jank-city outside of that.

I could do codenames, but I mentioned almost all of them in chat already so it’d be quite useless which is exactly why I’ll do it. I’ll also reveal something about their design philosophy so even if you know the character, you can guess what their design will be.

1. Project: Needle
“Super Mario Sunshine meets Hollow Knight, that’s a whole different beast.”

2. Project: Pursuit
“This is exactly how probability works. Captain Toad meets Hero.”

3. Project: Banana
“Hopefully, they won’t drop the ball on this one. This character presides in a state of permanent adolescence, a stasis if you will.”

4. Project: Winter
“’t was three months after Christmas when Santa the internet browsed. What set shall I gift now, tis a secret, he groused.”

5. Project: Archives
“Super Mario Galaxy meets Minecraft.”

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
First off, congratulations to everyone who managed to place at all in this competitive Make Your Move. There were several who didn't get to place at all, mostly thinking of you Dilliam, and don't worry you'll get there sooner rather than later. I didn't place myself for my first two contests way back.

An underrated achievement in the modern day is reading and voting at all, a huge commitment that's much more time consuming than posting the movesets themselves. A huge thank you to everyone who went to the trouble and the commenters who did a fantastic job especially in the end. I tried my best to comment everything I could but have to give a special shout out to Slavic for his amazing commenting and Roy as well, also Kat, US, Dilliam, Kupa and FA for their commentary! Sorry if I forgot anyone there, lets get on top of the commenting earlier next Make Your Move if it can be helped. Now onto the shout outs...

U UserShadow7989 First has to be UserShadow. I've known you for a long time now, technically longer than even Roy and FA, it's a toss up if I was reading your sets before Kupa's but that's about the only remaining active person I've known for longer. The entire time I've known you I've liked your sets and finally came to a head this time in a fantastic contest. You made sure there was no doubt in deserving this win, you absolutely smashed it and earned the win many times over. Not to mention, you had a stellar contest for your other sets too! 3 out of the top 10 is mighty impressive when most people only had 1 set each in a hyper competitive contest. Even Bleak, a set that's a solid DKC boss, is one of the most solid sets and a blast to read.

The sets aside, I also owe you a lot for your support this Make Your Move. You've been a great friend and leader. To win at a time like this, it shows the astonishing commitment and work ethic you've had for years. I could not have hand picked a better winner both as a MYMer and as a singular excellent moveset. Thanks for being there and sticking with MYM for this long, you are greatly appreciated, not just by me but everyone!

BKupa666 BKupa666 Well it's official, we made Dark Crystal a franchise. Mysterio is an amazing set that I'm happy finally ended #TheStreak if any set had to (well there were 4 others too, but it's more fun to imagine it this way because of you making skekSil). I had a lot of fun psycho-analysing the set which is unusual for me in this day and age. Your other two sets were closing in on super votes themselves and showed a healthy, diverse skill set. I'm so happy you came back and have been a true friend.

We don't always agree, if anything you've been a good check on some of my worse ideas and someone to lean on as a friend. I'm really glad you're here for the positive effect you've had on the community. Since you showed up again the direction took a marked shift in an interesting way I feel, and seeing you push your particular brand of sets and characters again is spectacular. There's a certain earnestness to your sets that's refreshing and perhaps even a little under-valued, but top 5 and good placings shows you're hugely appreciated regardless, not least by myself.

Katapultar Katapultar I think your sets were underrated and that's pretty much the general consensus, but if nothing else, I'm glad Pennywise did manage to get on the top 10. It shows just how enjoyable, entertaining and enthralling the set was despite intentionally wacky mechanics. That's the kind of fun you bring to the table never being afraid to put in gimmicks that aren't meant to be pleasing to everyone. Hotaru was definitely underrated but it seems to be a trend of fighting game sets to sometimes not appeal to everyone and that's okay, the set definitely had its fans. Your sets were all good running the gambit of every possible type of set, you're simply one of the best MYMers at the moment.

You're another person I've known for a long time and I almost feel I've said it all before. I'd never have thought we'd be here all these years later with you as a great MYMer who is on par with anyone in MYM's history. You seem very comfortable in your output and I hope you enjoy your time here as your input is invaluable, really. You're another person like Kupa who actively makes me want to be here and who I enjoy spending time with, as you're both veterans and icons as well as friends.

ForwardArrow ForwardArrow You'll be sorely missed and I hope you continue to put out great sets every Make Your Move. Primordial Darkness was a surprising hit for such a simple, but well executed concept and Sekuna was a good alternative. I feel like I've said the same thing to for years now that you've reached the pinnacle and I have little else to add, being both your biggest critic and one of the MYMers to most share some of your set philosophy at the same time. It's a shame what's happened in recent history, but that's just how things go and we're all in a better position now. It'll be tough but we can all move past this going forward given enough time. I fully support your intention to step back and focus on other things. If that's what you want, don't feel any guilt about it, MYM will be fine in your absence.

FrozenRoy FrozenRoy You managed to put out two great sets. I appreciate the edits you made to Rufus, which was already a very good set but for me personally put it into the stratosphere. Shou was an almost equally great set. I do see what you mean in your own top 50 post about it not being quite as strong as you'd like but it's still one of the best Touhou sets ever, just goes to show your ultra high standards. Don't get too down on yourself for "only" putting out two high quality sets, but if you can use this energy to drive yourself next MYM, that's no bad thing. We're all here if you need any help or support. Sucks how things have been in your RL and all the stuff you had to deal with for a while. I can only say I hope it gets better for you and hey, at least you have a strong support group.

dilliam dilliam You’ve been a true bro for much of this Make Your Move behind-the-scenes giving support and I hope I helped you get through things too. I think we both managed to keep each other from snapping at many points when things looked at their worst and in the end, just persevering has made things better for everyone. I can’t thank you enough for the support you gave me. On the moveset side of things I’m excited for Teridax and I did enjoy what I read of your stuff like Han-Tyumi, just got to improve on it and you’ll be well on your way to great things in the community. Whatever happens I'll always be grateful for your friendship this MYM.

Slavic Slavic Thanks for your awesome top 50 post! I really enjoyed Mami and Gnorc, who I was sad to drop to WV honestly, I thought it was one of the most fun reads this MYM. Mami was great to see outplace Gamagori as your best ever; I was assuming the set would do even better honestly and would’ve been just as happy for you. I always enjoy talking in chat and I’m glad you’ve bounced back after all the stuff that happened. Gnorc showed just how much you’ve improved as a MYMer in recent years just making fun one-offs and I’m excited for what comes from you in the future. I think everyone really likes having you around too, from all I've gathered lately, I'm definitely one of them, you bring a lot of positivity to the community which is greatly appreciated.

GolisoPower GolisoPower Goliso Power Hour was very fun! Your style is clearly still taking shape and it was interesting to read through your foray into movesets. I'm sorry that this very chaotic environment was your first MYM, but then again, Roy came about in MYM12 when things were arguably just as bad, so you may go on to become a titan as he became. We'll all be here to support you on your MYM journey either way.

bubbyboytoo bubbyboytoo You improved a ton this MYM and it definitely did not go unnoticed. Polterkitty was your best set ever and your other two sets were also huge improvements on your past ones. Cyclohm was a more typical MYM appealing set and I did enjoy the heavyweight focus in Robobot Armour. Seems you shed a lot of your unnecessary baggage dragging down your style and now it's just solid sets and who knows what you're capable of in the future. I’d be happy to see you engage more in chat, is always fun when we do discuss things and we’re here if you want any set advice or anything else.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever Cuttlefish was a very good set and not far off from the amazing set that was Kilton, just in a more competitive setting. I also enjoyed Daisy a good deal. Always enjoy seeing your art work and talking in chat. We’d all be happy to give any set help we can and involve you more in what’s going on. Sorry about recent RL issues, that doesn't sound pleasant. We'll be here if you need anyone to talk to or want some support.

Kholdstare Kholdstare Wish you’d make more sets! I always enjoy them; the experimental ones too, so please get to it. We've sure had an interesting history at this point and I sure have some regrets where I wish I'd been more upfront or more appreciative. You're a really interesting set maker and personality to have around, you probably don't realise how much we all do enjoy your pearls of wisdom in the chat or in your very entertaining sets. I hope that helps motivate you, whatever you choices going forward.

Rychu Rychu Sure was a nice surprise to see you come back and even vote. You pretty much bounced back to the point you're putting out solid sets already which is not an easy task, given how competitive things have become. Broly was a remarkably solid heavyweight set that definitely appealed to me a lot, I don't know if you'd ever tried that sort of set before, it was quite fascinating to see and a very good fit for you. I think we all just want to see more from you and to be involved more if you can afford to do that. We have also had an interesting history together and it's surreal that you're back in the game, never thought I'd enjoy your company again honestly, always a pleasure.

Almand Almand You really had an excellent MYM for someone early on in your moveset making. I loved Ditto and Ty, while Cooking Mama had its issues, it was also perfectly serviceable. I can't wait to see what you do in the future. I also appreciate how open you've been to feedback and responsive you've been to my commentary. Will be fun watching your progress and I hope you have plenty of plans for future sets.

IvanQuote IvanQuote Thanks for your love for Ernest, you helped him to make it to the top ten. It makes sense you'd be a big fan of the set too, and unrelated the newly named "IvanQuote Haunted House" in Gatewater Land will be a marvelous site. Hope to see you make more sets in the future though your continued reading and voting is highly appreciated at least. I would like to see more comments/thoughts on sets from you, a sentiment shared by many others.

Also a shout out to my friends who aren't even a part of Make Your Move that supported me throughout anyway, couldn't have done it without you! I doubt you're even reading this but if you are, thank you so much.

As far as my own Make Your Move experience, it was very rocky this time. Real life was a mess as it was for many people. I don't have the kind of support groups some people do in Make Your Move so I just had to deal with it mostly. As is the case with so many unfortunately my life still hasn't returned to normalcy all this time later after events early last year. It was miraculous then we had as good of a Make Your Move as we did, and that I was able to personally be as active as I was, though I do wish I was active earlier.

I'll be honest, a big reason for my inactivity was the community and how it was for most of the MYM. I didn't want to trouble anyone for a long time with my problems but it got to a point I couldn't do that anymore. This was especially true trying to approach other leaders as they were very stressed from other stuff at the time. I had to make a lot of new friends this MYM just to help deal with all of this.

Once it got to near the end I did manage to bounce back and put out a respectable set quantity and quality. It's sad that in hindsight I do feel I lost a lot of valuable MYMing time and also a lot of good times dealing with stuff I shouldn't have had to, but I don't feel any resentment over it. At the same time, people were able to put out just amazing sets and we ended up coming together in a way I've never really seen before in the community. This was anything but a "lost contest" and if anything one of the best ever for sets themselves and that comeback at the end in an explosion of sets and good will. I'm really grateful for everyone being supportive and opening up about things at the end too.

It's so cool by the way that we're heading back in the direction of focusing on sets and cutting away at a lot of the parts of the community I didn't like to begin with. If you want to help out just being active with sets, reading and commentary will help more than you can imagine. Lets all try to do our best to that end for MYM24!

To finish up on this ultra long, rambling post, that probably isn't as good as FA, Slavic, Roy's and etcetera, my own sets. skekUng took a very long time to produce and was only finished up as I looked at what I had to put out as my second set after Amano was finished. It took a long time even then to finally be satisfied with the set and even then I'd say the set only really hit its peak after the final edits, even if it already capped out most of its SVs by that point. I love Dark Crystal and I'm proud of how the set did on the top 50 though, 6th is a very respectable position. It's not top 5 which has always been my goal in recent years but I'm not going to hold that against the set.

It's a more difficult character than it may seem as most of what I did in the set while technically possible for skekUng is not anything he ever does in the series and he's not exactly a good fit for a "build" when it comes to a fighter, being a hunched over ancient monster. skekSil's existence also raised the bar a lot and I felt it was necessary to make it stand out as much as possible from the existing set, not counting skekMal as he was quite different. I am still happy how it all turned out though, and very grateful for all the support it got.

Ernest Amano was a set that came to me upon thinking of the most literally MYM, impossible characters who appealed to me at the time. Ernest Amano was always at the back of my mind as "wow if that got made, that would truly be something" and his particular brand of politicking just seemed super fitting in the MYM23 moment. It took a long time to develop his myriad of mechanics and I had to come back to it many times working on his whole deal.

It first started as just the Lance mechanic, Stress came later, the control scheme must've changed at least 3 times massively each time making it more like the ICers, Olimar or Rosalina, before I felt truly satisfied. Balancing the set was also a big challenge. The set is the one this MYM I didn't find the time to come back and edit (due to my own error, forgetting about the edit cut-off) but I'm pretty happy with it. It'll probably remain as it is besides maybe adding extras, but the plan was to add the ability to "ban" the badgers away, and then summon them back at an opportune moment. I could work that into a future set anyway and Amano did already have so many specials, a shield special may have added too much bloat, so maybe it's for the best.

Il Blud was a one day set made on a whim as I saw it was requested by Kat and I knew Roy, US and FA would enjoy the pick. This seemed like a big surprise to all of them and I really enjoyed that. Same goes for skekUng and Kupa's reaction. I always find it fun to make people happy with my character picks like that. As for the set itself it was just super easy with the concepts, a HMA with portals, minions, a very fun creative weapon, momentum physics and a big body, that's just crazy. I milked it for all it was worth and definitely left my distinct mark with the characterisation too, for which I'm all satisfied. It did get pretty significant edits at the end which I'm happy about, definitely was not happy with the original fsmash and the new dsmash is a huge improvement for one. Top 20 for my third set in this competitive MYM is also a pretty big accomplishment and I was happy for all the support this set got too on top of skekUng and Amano. I'm just as happy with this MYM as I was last with 3 very different, though in some ways similar, movesets. I feel like my style has developed a lot in recent times and a lot of it due to the feedback and support I get from all of you, so thanks!

I have a lot of plans for the future. My Secret Santa set should probably be what I work on first and believe it or not, I still have not forgotten my lottery promises, they will get done eventually! I also am in a bunch of projects or movements so I have plenty to get through. It's just a question of how motivated I am and how many I get to but I'm feeling as enthused as ever, so I hope to get through a lot. I hope you'll all continue to put up with me and my eccentric character picks, I'll do my best to be as supportive as you've all been to me over the years. Thanks everyone, especially if you managed to read this mega post!

Last edited:

dilliam

Smash Rookie
This contest was, to put it lightly, a doozie. The set output this contest was nothing short of phenomenal, and I can safely say that out of all 1 times I voted, this one was the hardest.

I think this contest was a trying time for all; due to factors both inside and outside the community. Most obvious is the massive global pandemic, who would have guessed? Despite this, everyone put out some really amazing stuff this contest and we all came out of it as stronger people, and that's pretty cool.

Smady Smady gets major shoutouts for being a massive bro during this contest. Not only did he put out three impressive sets, including the astounding skekUng, but he provided me with motivation and emotional support during some of the hardest times. I was insanely close to leaving multiple times, but he helped me tough it out and I'm really thankful I did.

FrozenRoy FrozenRoy was also super helpful. Shou and Rufus both stand out to me as really fun sets, and some of the concepts contained within have proved helpful to my own sets in the future. He also gave me the kick in the butt I needed to finish my reading and voting.

ForwardArrow ForwardArrow and I got off on the wrong foot, but after the rough period in the MYM Discord chat I can safely say I count him as a friend and a really cool dude. Primordial Darkness was also super dope.

U UserShadow7989 provided some much-needed help and feedback with my own movesets. He also put out the absolute showstopper that was Lucky Louise, which took home the coveted 1st place spot, and it damn well deserved it.

BKupa666 BKupa666 Put out Mysterio this contest, which was tied with Mami Tomoe for my absolute favorite set this contest. Both these sets were so incredible, in fact, that I could only decide my SV+ placement via coin flip.

Slavic Slavic put out Mami Tomoe, which took home my SV+ vote, but gnot without stiff competition. This set, as well as Mysterio, were gnothing short of mind-blowing in their own special ways. Also Gnasty Gnorc was by gno means a set that should be gneglected.

Kholdstare Kholdstare finish king dice please 🥺

Katapultar Katapultar was the real MVP this contest, cranking out fun moveset after fun moveset, including the really good Pennywise. He's also been extremely helpful with my own moveset concepts, taking even the most basic ideas and turning them into something special.
finish diego pls

Rychu Rychu put out some pretty solid stuff this contest! I'm looking forward to the stuff he has planned, it really feels like he's getting back in his groove.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever made some really fun stuff! Daisy was the most fun take on the character I've seen thus far and Cap'n Cuttlefish was a super-fun zoner that brought something new to the table with Inkling's ink mechanics.

bubbyboytoo bubbyboytoo gave us some cool stuff too! Polterkitty and Robobot Armor both had really solid cores, but Cyclohm was easily my favorite, reminding me of the tight moveset design seen in Rivals. He's also been helpful in conceptualizing my own movesets.

Almand Almand 's sets were really solid! I wasn't the biggest fan of Cooking Mama, but Ty and especially Ditto blew me away.

Of course, I wasn't just twiddling my thumbs, I made sets too! They weren't the best, but I made them!

Marauder was more or less me warming up for my movesets. I'm not super proud of this one, but it's not memetically bad at least.

I stand by Han-Tyumi as my best set this contest. He was my most detailed and thought-out moveset and working in all the King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard references was super fun.

In my sleep-deprived stupor, Buy Now came into being. Did I make this? Does it really exist? uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now it's time to address the elephant in the room. This contest I've been told to give up, to let MYM burn to the ground. Of course, I don't plan on that. I'm much too stubborn, I'm afraid. I'm so stubborn, in fact, that I'm gonna do the exact opposite! I'm gonna pop off even harder in MYM24. I'm gonna crank out the biggest bangers I've made so far.

So, to answer your question; MYM is not dead. Far from it. Just to prove that I've got some fun stuff planned, I've prepared a small crossword puzzle featuring my upcoming sets this contest! Some are obvious, but some might prove tricky. Also don't use my preview document that's cheating.

ACROSS

3. Codename: Blue (hint: music)
4. Codename: Shadow (hint: Bionicle Villain)
5. Codename: Bird (hint: cannons)
6. Codename: Journalist (hint: this character makes me hungry)

DOWN
1. Codename: Fat (hint: also music)

2. Codename: Politician (hint: immensely quotable)

EDIT: ooooooops the hosting site stopped hosting my image lol here's some regular hints instead

CODENAME: Blue
Hint: All together now!

CODENAME: Politician
Hint: Possibly one of the most quotable characters in fiction.

CODENAME: Journalist
Hint: You are what you eat.

CODENAME: Fat
Hint: Just watch your mouth, or he'll sit on you.

CODENAME: Bird
Hint: Everybody was kung fu fighting! And this guy didn't like it.

CODENAME: Face
Hint: Like Two-Face during his vaporwave phase.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I apologise for the lack of productivity. Like many others, I have been horribly affected by the pandemic. Plus, I've just barely recovered from some serious cognitive injuries (frontal cortex in particular) that have had a huge negative impact on mine creativity in general. So yeah, it's not like I'm procrastinating or anything. I've just had a LOT of s%#& going on.

Looking back, I was surprised so many people liked the Copen moveset--or at least the improved one. I honestly didn't think many people would like that one--largely because Copen gets a lot of hate in the Gunvolt fanbase.

I wrote a V moveset a while back--but I guess it wasn't good, since no-one critiqued. That said, I'll try mine best to step up mine game.

The reason I never commented on other movesets in the past was because I just didn't feel I was on a high enough level to critique. But now that I have some experience under mine belt, I'll give it a shot. Best way to improve in any skill is to try and fail.

Top Bottom