• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 14 - This is Snake, I'm done here

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Just as a note to TewnLeenk: I've been working on a Heracross set for a good while, so if you see me post one, yeah.

Ah dang, yours is going to completely destroy mine :laugh:

It's all good, it's fun to see everyone's unique take on characters!

Also, who does the critiquing? I'd like to know how my Heracross is. Thanks!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Ah dang, yours is going to completely destroy mine :laugh:

It's all good, it's fun to see everyone's unique take on characters!

We all do critiquing in MYM. It's just as valued a community activity as making movesets is. Reading and critiquing are important processes that help flesh out the contest to its fullest potential and help everyone to improve. Users post movesets hoping as many people as possible will read (and hopefully enjoy) them, so the responsibility of reading and reviewing isn't designated to any one person.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
We all do critiquing in MYM. It's just as valued a community activity as making movesets is. Reading and critiquing are important processes that help flesh out the contest to its fullest potential and help everyone to improve. Users post movesets hoping as many people as possible will read (and hopefully enjoy) them, so the responsibility of reading and reviewing isn't designated to any one person.

Thanks! I'm hoping someone critiques my Heracross moveset on the last page. MYM is alot of fun :chuckle:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Thanks! I'm hoping someone critiques my Heracross moveset on the last page. MYM is alot of fun :chuckle:
I can only find 2 problems, but they're minor and can be fixed easily:

1. Stone Edge is a high speed, high power move, which can make it a mega powerful attack. Either slow it down, or differentiate it.

2. With Heracross's high damage outputs, his Up Air IS his strongest move. Seriously. Do a couple of sweetspotted side smashes, do a U-Tilt, and watch your opponents go to the offscreen zone with an Up Air

n88

Smash Lord

There's no official system in place for providing moveset feedback. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to read other people's movesets and chime in. That said, since I've got a free moment and haven't quite collapsed at my keyboard [don't be surprised if nothing from here on out is particularly coherent or logical, because I'm pretty close], let's talk Heracross.

Toxic, though a nifty little move [especially mechanically interesting in the context of a largely physical fighter like Heracross] is not a great choice to start off the set. I'm going to quote something written quite some time ago that still very much applies today.

MarthTrinity said:
Pokemon Syndrome: We define Pokemon Syndrome as giving a Pokemon moves that, while they may fit the playstyle perfectly, do not fit the Pokemon’s “character.” And yes, I hear you saying already that Pokemon are mindless beasts and have no character…but they do have distinct traits and abilities!

One of the biggest examples of Pokemon Syndrome could be seen back in the day with SkylerOcon’s Metagross moveset where he gave the Psychic/Steel type Rain Dance. Now…when one thinks Metagross, do they think summoning rain? Not really. Or not at all rather. When one thinks Metagross, they think a giant psychic tank made of steel that uses its brute force in addition to its psychic abilities to fight.
A good moveset for any character should be a moveset that really only makes sense for that character; you should always be trying to convey what sets your character apart. Despite Toxic's mechanical functionality, I have some reservations about whether it really expresses what makes Heracross unique. Having a move that seems contrary to Heracross's nature so early in the set and on a Special is pretty jarring. It starts things off on the wrong foot, which is especially unfortunate since you demonstrate a pretty solid grasp on the sorts of things Heracross should and should not be doing throughout the rest of the set.

I'm going to keep harping on your Specials for a minute [I know, I don't like it either]. What you've got here is mostly slightly retooled Special attacks already present in Brawl. This moveset is really your chance to make Heracross shine. He should feel unique, he should feel distinctly Heracross-y. Don't be afriad to get creative, especially in the Special attacks; these are the cornerstones of the moveset. I'm not saying that your approach is bad, but I would like to caution you against feeling restricted to using attacks that are already in Brawl. MYM has seen some pretty off-the-wall stuff over the years, and nobody will bat an eye if you decide to mix it up a little.

But don't walk away from this comment thinking you did everything wrong, because that's certainly not the case. You've got a nice, readable organization [you have no idea how few people get that right on their first try], and you've showed off a pretty clear knowledge of exactly what goes into a moveset. My advice for you is to try to have a little more fun with your character. Get creative [I know you can. That Toxic move, for all my complaints, is still a pretty darn fun move] and keep on eye on that characterization, and you'll be doing all kinds of awesome. Hopefully you stick around and write something else for us.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
But don't walk away from this comment thinking you did everything wrong, because that's certainly not the case. You've got a nice, readable organization [you have no idea how few people get that right on their first try], and you've showed off a pretty clear knowledge of exactly what goes into a moveset. My advice for you is to try to have a little more fun with your character. Get creative [I know you can. That Toxic move, for all my complaints, is still a pretty darn fun move] and keep on eye on that characterization, and you'll be doing all kinds of awesome. Hopefully you stick around and write something else for us.

Thanks alot for the feedback! And yeah I agree with you, the specials aren't the best. Those were literally the hardest part for me to think of. Heracross is mostly a physical Pokemon and I had a hard time giving him special attacks. I was trying to take a DK approach with Heracross. I feel like the Smashes and the Tilts are alright but It's the specials I couldn't do right.

I thought Toxic was creative at first, but I totally see what you mean. It doesn't really suit Heracross. I was trying to keep his whole moveset Pokemon attacks. But Toxic was kind of out of character. Maybe a tree sap slap or spill or something, I dunno.

I'll take all of this into mind when I make my next one, because this IS really fun. Thanks!!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Having just wrapped up another session of beetle farming in Animal Crossing, I feel inspired and find it fitting to pull an America's Got Talent and give my opinion on Heracross despite having no qualifications to judge quality myself.

I mostly just want to expand on what Nate said since he's pretty much on the mark on what this set needs. What Heracross has is solid presentation (really, thank you for being so organized) and an idea of how moves in Smash Bros. actually work, which may not seem like much, but is vitally important and not a universal talent among moveset makers. Heracross also has an actual playstyle; he's a speedy berserker with a light weight that makes him both rewarding and risky to play aggressively. What Heracross lacks, however, is an identity. What Heracross does in this set is all what he could do, but without necessarily making use of what makes Heracross unique. The moves are only what he can do, not what only he can do. I'll be the first to say I don't really mind seeing movesets that aren't super-crazy and are more Sakurai-esque. That being said, it'd definitely make Heracross stand out more if he were more crazy and unique. There's tons you can do with the character; Pokémon are great moveset subjects because they have established biologies and behaviors that provide basis for a myriad of unique potential, while still being uncharacterized enough for the moveset maker to get creative and insert their own little personalities and ideas.

Heracross' other problem, I think, is just generally having moves that don't have enough of a relationship. For example, Toxic. Toxic is an interesting idea. While the point about the Pokémon Syndrome is valid, it's still pretty interesting to have a passively-damaging move on such an otherwise rough n' tough physical fighter. But the set doesn't play off of Toxic; once it's mentioned, it's forgotten about. No mention is made of how Heracross can use other moves or strategies to interact with Toxic. If Toxic formed more of a basis for Heracross' playstyle, it might not make the Pokémon feel more in-character, but it'd make him more interesting and unique, with a playstyle all its own, rather than a general heavy-hitter.

Sorry if I made that sound condescending; I didn't intend for that at all. What I'm saying is, it's a good showing, and I'd like to see more, but it's not a million dollar act.

And while I'm at it, I'll do a quick run-down of Masked Link.

Mask Link is just too basic, really. There's no spiff or attempt at aesthetic, though I'm not sure if that's your tablet's fault, since I've never used one. Move descriptions lack...descriptiveness; a few words don't do anything to properly describe the move. Really, I don't have much to even review since there's not much to read. There's no playstyle to be inferred from the moveset, which doesn't give enough information on its attacks to really visualize anything coming together into a cohesive image. The specials, for instance, are so lacking in description that I can't even visualize the move. "Uses the Bunny Hood to run around"? What does that entail? Does he get a speed boost for a short amount of time? Does he run forward and attack? Does he run in a circle and create a spinning hitbox? I just don't know. And that's how the whole set is for me. I hate to sound mean; I just need something to read before I can be asked to review it.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
Sorry if I made that sound condescending; I didn't intend for that at all. What I'm saying is, it's a good showing, and I'd like to see more, but it's not a million dollar act.
As someone who farms beetles in Animal Crossing too and watches America's Got Talent, I agree with you.

And yeah, I can't stand disorganized text, so no worries for my future posts. Also, thanks for providing additional feedback even though there already was one. It really helps alot. I agree that what my Heracross lacks is the "uniqueness" aspect of its moveset.

You guys are really helping me develop my 2nd moveset I'm working on, Thanks!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Comment Corner might not be updated for a bit, maybe until tomorrow, because I am a decent bit behind and, well, I just got a Wii again, so BRAWL WOOHOO. I was gonna make more than two comments today as well, but I got sleepy...

Ring Around the Moveset

This is ZIGMA's Ring Man, by the way.

My first suggestion would be to add a little more detail: Even just going into the animations some makes movesets feel more lively and allows people to better get into the moveset by visualizing how it'd look. For example, what do Ring Chain's throws look like at all? Does he spin them, fling them, bring them to him so he can throw them? Adding descriptions that better bring these moves to life helps enrich the reading experience and create a better moveset.

Secondly, maybe add in some more zest to the moves, a little differentiation. The Side Special is the one I think of this the most: Why not make it differ from just his grabs and throws? It is a special grab, a Command Grab, so you could spice it up. You could use the fact you just grabbed with a chain to spice things up: Maybe tether them to something with the chain? Wrap it around them to restrict movement? That sort of thing. Do little things like that and the mvoeset gets deeper playstyle and becomes more fun to read, write and play.

One thing that was good about this is that, if expanded, the Neutral Special/Down Special/Up Special would make a fun playstyle. Drop rings around, maybe even put the foe in one, then use Up Special to zip right to the foe, and use the delay of your Neutral Special projectile to control the stage...it's got potential.

Diving Into a Moveset

As a general rule, Playstyle sections work best when they are at the end of a moveset, due to the fact that before reading the moveset a person has no idea what you are talking about move-wise.

You don't need to start a new line for each sentence, even using center: Just using it in one paragraph is a bit cleaner to read. I think Dive Man could end up a lot better, but just like Ring Man, it has good underlying concepts: For example, Submerge could be really cool, but as-is it kind of doesn't do much for an entire alternate mode of transportation and such. I think the playstyle could be more sharply defined: Some more added on to the more basic attacks would help prop the moveset up. I also feel that the Down Tilt should be moved to a Smash or Special input. There's some other awkward moves too, like DAir...but the biggest thing is just the "new line for every sentence" makes this set feel twice as long as it actually is.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Also, as a general rule, please don't post TOO much about feedback: It usually takes a bit for people to create feedback, after all, and asking too much in main can be a bit spammy. Not saying you are now, but just as a note for future's sake.

You may find it helps more to ask for feedback in our Xat chat, linked on the first page.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
To those without critique: I will comment in a few hours when I have my laptop in use. It's awesome we've got so many new faces looking to improve!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This is ZIGMA's Ring Man, by the way.
Thx, but don't bother with Ring Man.
It was a poor and sloppy moveset.

For example, Submerge could be really cool, but as-is it kind of doesn't do much for an entire alternate mode of transportation and such.
Adding too much stuff to Sumberge would be overkill.
There's a risk it'd be used over his normal stance all the time, which isn't the purpose of the move.
It has a poke, a powerful tackle, can go under his Sea Mines as well as Falco's Lasers, etc..
Sure, it could have like one more manouver to it, like a sneaky grab or something, buy not an entire arsenal of stuff.
I was thinking of him beeing able to launch Torpedos while submerged, but that would probably be pretty cheap.

Just curious - how is Dair awkward?

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Dive Man being able to launch Torpedos while submerged should be fine, since he still has a hurtbox that can be hit by standard moves such as a Down Tilt and other low-hitting moves and he has a vastly smaller movepool (Thus much more predictability), plus taking the full brunt of any attacks that hit him.

Down Aerial initially looked like it would be a minion, then turned out to be a fairly standard down aerial, To me, it feels weird for Dive Man to pull out an enemy from his stage just to swing it for a somewhat odd hitbox. It would feel much more fitting if he simply hit the foe.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Vanellope
She was my favorite character in the movie, bar none. So funny.

The Specials are actually pretty cool, I like the various uses of glitching, specifically the neutral special is really cool, and sets her up as a potentially dangerous foe if one isn't careful around her. I especially like the mid-move transport part of it, she could do serious damage with smashes using it! The only thing I can say is that the neutral special is so good at recovering her that it kinda defeats the purpose of the up special, ya feel? The side special is pretty cool too, even if it's Wario's Bike reskinned, though I like the glitch interaction. Down special is fine, and could be great at mind games with the opponent, though the timing is waaaaaay too long. For reference, a Falcon Punch lasts for under a second, and it only takes about 1 second to fully charge smashes.

The rest of the moveset is a lot of punches and kicks, which is fine: it's a combo/mindgaming moveset, and those are usually filled with this kind of thing. I'd advise you to spend a bit more time with the moveset, and give as much detail as possible for the moves. You did good with providing damage, but we have no idea how long these moves last, how far they reach, or how much knockback they do and in what direction they do it in! The most rewarding part of set making, for me at least, is making moves that can flow into other moves naturally, Thinking of ways to make each move flow into the other is rewarding!

As a side note, I'd take a look at other sets around to get an idea of how to format movesets. It's not required, but reading a large white block of text is very unappealing for the eyes. I'd recommend something similar to the recent Heracross moveset for how to do simple formatting!

So yeah, overall, it's a simple set, but there are lots of cool ideas in the specials, and there is definitely potential. If you want to be "serious" (or at least as serious as you can get with this kind of thing) I'd recommend checking out http://mymbunker.wordpress.com . Under the "Movesets" tab you can click on any contest and read any moveset from MYMs past! I'd say anything from MYM 4 and above should give you a good read and show you what i mean by having your moves "flow". The moe they flow, the stronger the playstyle will be!

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hey, hey guise... can I get critique on my sets?

Guise?

like, srsly....

guise...

srsly

I DEMAND CRITIQUE

(also, JOE!'s back yaaaayyyyy)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
More critique on movesets! HUZZAH!

[collapse=JOE's King Boo] I didn't really understand it too well, and that's saying something since I'm a grade ahead in English! The main problem was the Paranormal Portal, which lost me until you clarified, thanks for that, by the way! The ideas are great, and I'd really enjoy portrificating Luigi, turning Smart Bombs invisible and dropping Spike Balls into opponents. In fact, the idea of the Paranormal Portal kind of inspired me to work on my Chell moveset. Back to the moveset, using Boos and controlling them with taunts is really original and a cool idea. The Paranormal Portal DOES seem like a fair trade, and can be quickly healed, and it also decreases the chances of people constantly using Paranormal Portal to teleport on stage. The Final Smash is cool, the Pink Boo transformation is something that you could stumble upon in battle and suddenly get a great advantage. To summarize, a really cool-sounding moveset with lots of references, but hard to understand at some points and some of the tactics can be unknown to newer players such as the Taunt controls and the Pink Boos. [/collapse]

[collapse=Conren's Guts Man] Darn, I wanted to do all of the original Robot Masters :) Anyway, Guts Man looks pretty good. My only real problem is the specials besides Super Arm. Pickaxe seems out of place to me, even if Guts Man is the work robot. Dig could've worked like it did in Powered Up, where he rises underneath with a block, and Guts Stomp seemed to be a bit too much like King Dedede's. Although I don't like the idea of Guts Man being a semi-clone, I think throwing Mets could've worked as well. Down Smash could have been a Guts Block falling into his arms like in his boss fight, but I really like the Final Smash. To summarize, cool playstyle and Final Smash, but some lackluster moves. That's all I got for this one. [/collapse]

[collapse=Z1GMA's Dive Man] Talk about an improvement! Ring Man to me was OK, but Dive Man is spectacular! I see you took my advice with the stage hazards, and you've made them essential and powerful for Dive Man, making him a really cool character! The F-Tilt honestly doesn't make too much sense to me, as I can't see him using his propeller foot to push opponents forward. The Metal Urchins are really unique, as is Moby the Final Smash Whale. However, even though you followed everyone's advice, he seems a bit... overpowered. I mean, you can submerge yourself to dodge almost every Final Smash (except Olimar's), drop dangerous spike balls and go right past them and then drop invincible enemies into the playing field! To summarize, a great improvement over Ring Man with cool moves and great references, but a bit overpowered and some strange uses of the Propellers. [/collapse]

[collapse=Koppakirby's Ring Man] I consider this an exact opposite to Z1GMA's Ring Man. You do reference the source material often, but your moves don't really work too well. Trapeze works enough that it could be a great stage control, but it could be harder to recover if they don't spawn in air. The hippo Final Smash seems like an insta-kill, which is something I don't think really works (besides Marth's), but I enjoy his aerial game. To summarize, good aerial game and reference to the source material, but broken Final Smash and some lackluster moves.[/collapse]

[collapse=StaffofSmashing's Masked Link] Not exactly what I had in mind when I thought of Masked Link, but still a cool idea. The uses of the Postman's Mask, Blast Mask and Bunny Hood work well, but I don't really understand why Link dives with a puppy. I know, it's the dog race, but a Dash Attack using the Bremen Mask to have animals follow behind you would be SO cool. I appreciate the fact that you tried to make a moveset for Masked Link WITHOUT Deku, Goron, Zora and Fierce Deity, but they are the staples of the Majora's Mask game. I do think, however, that many of those moves could be used in unison with a normal Young Link where his taunts turn him into the three masks above. I'd be happy to talk to you about this idea in the MAD-C. To summarize, clever moveset with some really cool ideas, but a few strange moves and it could work better alongside something else. [/collapse]

[collapse=TewnLeenk's Heracross] Warning: Not much knowledge about Pokemon. The specials are cool (especially Toxic) but all the moves are very basic. This is expected for a first moveset. The Final Smash is another controllable one, and those are always good (except Volt Tackle, can never get it right), but my only problem is, again, the moves seem a bit too "beginner's character" for me. To summarize, cool specials and a good Final Smash, but basic moves and no identifiable playstyle. Reminds me of my Quick Man a lot. [/collapse]

[collapse=Keybladeguy's Vanellope Von Schweetz] Love Wreck-it-Ralph, and I'm actually working on a Fix-It-Felix Jr. moveset along the line. About the moveset, the glitching is a cool playstyle gimmick, and it really adds a lot to her character. The Up B seems kind of useless, since her Glitch is a great recovery, so I recommend sometime in the future trying to find a replacement of some sort, maybe even something that isn't a recovery like Jigglypuff. There's only two main problems to me: The clone moves and the Final Smash. Vanellope is an original character, but a lot of her moves imitate other video game characters, like Mario, Luigi, Ness, Shantae, Rayman and Mega Man. I'd really appreciate it if her attacks had a bit more originality to them, but ideas slip the mind right now. As for the Final Smash, I think that using Wreck-It-Ralph isn't truly a Final Smash Vanellope needs. Wreck-It-Ralph has his own moves, ideas and attacks that he could bring as an individual fighter, and it kind of locks him downwards to be his own character if he's only a Final Smash. Vanellope can use her glitching to re-create the Diet Cola Mountain and drop some Mentos in it, like a Ice Climber/ Samus combo. To summarize, a cool playstyle and useful moves, but some clone moves, a recovery move rendered useless by other moves and a Final Smash that has so much potential as a completely different character, [/collapse]

JOE!

Smash Hero
Paranormal portal hurts King Boo for 25%, but in exchange you recover for free instead of dying.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
They, um, aren't. Still, thank you for the critique, APC99.

Oh, I thought it said that the rings disappear when you use another attack. Thanks for clarifying, I'll edit both Ring Man and King Boo then.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Follow this character moveset to see what my brain is made of.

*insert Mega Man theme sing here*

Gravity Man joins the battle...! Maybe...

Stats!!!

Ground Speed: 5/10
Air Speed: 4/10
Weight: 3/10
Jump: 7/10
Size: 6/10
Dodge: 8/10
Air Dodge: 8/10

Glide: Yes, using the power of Anti Gravity, Gravity Man can glide.
Wall Climb: No
Crawl: No
Wall Jump: Yes, shifting gravity onto the wall and shifting in to the direction he's jumping, Gravity Man can Wall Jump.

Playstyle: Gravity Man focuses greatly on Stage Control. His special trait to support this is his Anti-Gravity fields(he doesn't use these, it's just something I threw in. He is GRAVITY Man). These make characters and non-laser projectiles, when they enter the field, float around. These are Gravity Man's biggest advantage, as melee only characters are a walk in the park for Gravity Man.

Basic Intro(Spoilers): Gravity Man is a Robot Master created by Dr. Albert Wily, the main antagonist of the first series of Mega Man. He focuses on switching gravity, although he's rather easy to beat in his battle if you time your shots.

Jabs, Dash, and Tilts!!!

AAA: Left swipe, Right swipe, thrust w/ both arms. 4, 4, 9%

Dash: Shoots 3 bullets. 2% per bullet

F-Tilt: Swipes horizontally. 5%

D-Tilt: Smashes the ground. 10%

U-Tilt: Uppercut, 12%

Smashes!!!

F-Smash: Turns 90 degrees, curls his legs, and kicks. 23% full charge, 18% mid.

U-Smash: Turns 180 degrees, curls, and kicks. 19% full charged, 15% mid.

D-Smash: Reaches upward and points is arm cannons downwards, shooting a charged shot from each side, 18% full, 14% mid.

Aerials!!!

N-Air: Gravity Man does a simple spin, 3% per hit.

F-Air: Gravity Man holds a chargeable energy sphere in his hands, although you can fire without charging. 7% no charge, 12% mid charge, 17% full charge.

B-Air: Shoots 3 chargeable shots that if you don't charge, they spilt. If you do charge, Copy+Paste F-Air. The chargeable shots to 11% and 17%, the no charges do 8%.

D-Air: He comes down fast, intensifiing gravity bellow him, making anyone bellow him immobilized. The attack does 19%

U-Air: He shoots an arrow similar to the gravity changing arrows in his level from Mega Man 5. They spike enemies and do 15%

Specials!!!

N-Special. Gravity Man shoots a chargeable blast that can only be fired fully charged. It slows targets down and does 19%

S-Special: Gravity Man shoots an Anti-Gravity field one DeDeDe wide and one Snake tall. It hits opponents with the Anti Gravity effect I mentioned above. Does no damage. You can only have 1 anti gravity field at a time and they last for 12 seconds.

U-Special: Flips upside down, going upwards 5 Sonics high. You can also walk on the undersides of platforms for 3 seconds. Coming in collision with the attack does 13%

D-Special: An Anti-Gravity field surrounds Gravity Man 2 crouching Game & Watch's wide and 1 Luigi tall. Does no damage.

Grabs and stuff!!!

Grab: Nothing special. Just a simple grab.

Pummel: Gravity intensifies on opponent. 3%

F-Throw: Gravity shifts to the direction Gravity Man is facing. 11%

B-Throw: Gravity Man kicks 3 times in the desired direction. 4% per kick.

U-Throw: Gravity shifts upwards. 14%

D-Throw: Gravity Man throws the opponent upwards, and kicks them downwards. 16%

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS! MY GRAVITY MAN SET!

Also, critique wanted :D

*insert Mega Man theme song here*

Stats!!!

Ground Speed: 5/10
Air Speed: 4/10
Weight: 3/10
Jump: 7/10
Size: 6/10
Dodge: 8/10
Air Dodge: 8/10

Glide: Yes, using the power of Anti Gravity, Gravity Man can glide.
Wall Climb: No
Crawl: No
Wall Jump: Yes, shifting gravity onto the wall and shifting in to the direction he's jumping, Gravity Man can Wall Jump.

Playstyle: Gravity Man focuses greatly on Stage Control. His special trait to support this is his Anti-Gravity fields(he doesn't use these, it's just something I threw in. He is GRAVITY Man). These make characters and non-laser projectiles, when they enter the field, float around. These are Gravity Man's biggest advantage, as melee only characters are a walk in the park for Gravity Man.

Basic Intro(Spoilers): Gravity Man is a Robot Master created by Dr. Albert Wily, the main antagonist of the first series of Mega Man. He focuses on switching gravity, although he's rather easy to beat in his battle if you time your shots.

Jabs, Dash, and Tilts!!!

AAA: Left swipe, Right swipe, thrust w/ both arms. 4, 4, 9%

Dash: Shoots 3 bullets. 2% per bullet

F-Tilt: Swipes horizontally. 5%

D-Tilt: Smashes the ground. 10%

U-Tilt: Uppercut, 12%

Smashes!!!

F-Smash: Turns 90 degrees, curls his legs, and kicks. 23% full charge, 18% mid.

U-Smash: Turns 180 degrees, curls, and kicks. 19% full charged, 15% mid.

D-Smash: Reaches upward and points is arm cannons downwards, shooting a charged shot from each side, 18% full, 14% mid.

Aerials!!!

N-Air: Gravity Man does a simple spin, 3% per hit.

F-Air: Gravity Man holds a chargeable energy sphere in his hands, although you can fire without charging. 7% no charge, 12% mid charge, 17% full charge.

B-Air: Shoots 3 chargeable shots that if you don't charge, they spilt. If you do charge, Copy+Paste F-Air. The chargeable shots to 11% and 17%, the no charges do 8%.

D-Air: He comes down fast, intensifiing gravity bellow him, making anyone bellow him immobilized. The attack does 19%

U-Air: He shoots an arrow similar to the gravity changing arrows in his level from Mega Man 5. They spike enemies and do 15%

Specials!!!

N-Special. Gravity Man shoots a chargeable blast that can only be fired fully charged. It slows targets down and does 19%

S-Special: Gravity Man shoots an Anti-Gravity field one DeDeDe wide and one Snake tall. It hits opponents with the Anti Gravity effect I mentioned above. Does no damage. You can only have 1 anti gravity field at a time and they last for 12 seconds.

U-Special: Flips upside down, going upwards 5 Sonics high. You can also walk on the undersides of platforms for 3 seconds. Coming in collision with the attack does 13%

D-Special: An Anti-Gravity field surrounds Gravity Man 2 crouching Game & Watch's wide and 1 Luigi tall. Does no damage.

Grabs and stuff!!!

Grab: Nothing special. Just a simple grab.

Pummel: Gravity intensifies on opponent. 3%

F-Throw: Gravity shifts to the direction Gravity Man is facing. 11%

B-Throw: Gravity Man kicks 3 times in the desired direction. 4% per kick.

U-Throw: Gravity shifts upwards. 14%

D-Throw: Gravity Man throws the opponent upwards, and kicks them downwards. 16%

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS! MY GRAVITY MAN SET!

Also, critique wanted :D

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Your pictures don't seem to show on SWF for some reason. I'm not sure why, but if imgur isn't working you can always take a picture from the wiki page of Gravity Man linked by Khold on page 9.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Looks like my image pasting program isn't working properly *sigh*

I guess I'll put a link to the picture, just to save time with files.

Edit: Shoot, and I can't even post a link. I guess I'll leave it there, because I don't know what's going on.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Down Aerial initially looked like it would be a minion, then turned out to be a fairly standard down aerial, To me, it feels weird for Dive Man to pull out an enemy from his stage just to swing it for a somewhat odd hitbox. It would feel much more fitting if he simply hit the foe.
Too much generic stuff makes your character... too generic.

Junahu

Smash Ace
As a general rule, Playstyle sections work best when they are at the end of a moveset, due to the fact that before reading the moveset a person has no idea what you are talking about move-wise.
If you can write an engaging playstyle summary that gives the reader better context for reading the rest of the moveset, then I think it can do some real good at the start of the moveset. Did Dive Man name dropping 4 self-describing Specials make the playstyle magically unreadable or something? I'm being rhetorical, because the answer is no. But even if it did, all of those attacks were literally right next to the playstyle.

and, just so I'm not being totally biased against the commenter...

Too much generic stuff makes your character... too generic.
Making individual moves visually interesting (looking different) pales in comparison to making individual moves functionally interesting (actually being different). And that in turn is small potatoes compared to making the overall moveset, the way all of its moves combine to create a gameplay experience, engrossing and fun to play. You can make some really interesting stuff using nothing but ordinary no-frills attacks.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ough.. So many different opinions.
Everyone loves and hates everything.

If you can write an engaging playstyle summary that gives the reader better context for reading the rest of the moveset, then I think it can do some real good at the start of the moveset. Did Dive Man name dropping 4 self-describing Specials make the playstyle magically unreadable or something? I'm being rhetorical, because the answer is no. But even if it did, all of those attacks were literally right next to the playstyle.
One could always put a very simple "general playstyle" in the beginning, making ppl interested. Then, at the end, a more detailed explanation on how he fights.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Follow this character moveset to see what my brain is made of.

*insert Mega Man theme sing here*

+
Stage Control with the help of gravity (though it needs more detail).

Uair - Unique and interesting. Instead of a juggling Uair it's a spiking uair.

Up Special - A Really cool concept. I especially like the idea of beeing able to walk on the underside of platforms.

-
A lack of details.

Some of his standard Gound Attacks could have a Gravity Effect to them.

Uthrow dealing 14%, and Dthrow 16%, makes Gravity Man's average Throw Damage Output really high.

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Vanellope

I'm a huge fan of Wreck-It Ralph just like you, so I'm very pleased to see a Vanellope set here. Your glitching mechanic seduced me instantly, because it's ideal to create very "flowing" combos. The set isn't totally incredible but this little mechanic is just neat. It could have been expanded though, there could have been more uses to it than just following p some moves to create combos. The other specials are kinda unnecessary though: the kart doesn't fit with the rest of the set, the Up B is obsolete compared to Vanellope's other recovery options and the Down B... okay the Down B actually serves a purpose; protecting Vanellope from bigger opponents. Not bad. I won't comment the FS, other people already expressed my thoughts on that. I'd like to see more of your work though!

Smady

Smash Master
One could always put a very simple "general playstyle" in the beginning, making ppl interested. Then, at the end, a more detailed explanation on how he fights.
I think that basically would sum up a statistics section. There you should talk, in depth if you like, about how a character moves and give a general idea of how the character plays. But in terms of a deeper playstyle, it's best to put it at the end, because of the reasons FrozenRoy pointed out. If you look at ninety-nine-percent of sets over the past few years, the playstyle is at the end, so I'm not sure what Junahu is talking about.

Good to see many helpful people in the thread right now.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
[collapse=Z1GMA's Dive Man] Talk about an improvement! Ring Man to me was OK, but Dive Man is spectacular! I see you took my advice with the stage hazards, and you've made them essential and powerful for Dive Man, making him a really cool character! The F-Tilt honestly doesn't make too much sense to me, as I can't see him using his propeller foot to push opponents forward. The Metal Urchins are really unique, as is Moby the Final Smash Whale. However, even though you followed everyone's advice, he seems a bit... overpowered. I mean, you can submerge yourself to dodge almost every Final Smash (except Olimar's), drop dangerous spike balls and go right past them and then drop invincible enemies into the playing field! To summarize, a great improvement over Ring Man with cool moves and great references, but a bit overpowered and some strange uses of the Propellers. [/collapse]
Most characters can send ppl into the horizon with a swing of their fist, so why can't Dive Man be able to push them 10 feet using a propeller?:upsidedown:
It's similar to how G&W's Uair works.

Submerge doesn't avoid most Final Smashes.

"and then drop invincible enemies into the playing field!"
You mean Moby? Mantan?
Mantan can easily be canceled out with an attack, just like canceling Mario's Fire balls.

Anyway, thx for the feedback, APC.
Keep up the good work, bro.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Hey guys I hate to be the downer here, but it'd be appreciated by all if requests for set comments could be cut down a bit. I know it sucks to wait for critique but we've recently had a massive upsurge in move sets, so it'll take people a little while to get to them. Be patient and comments will come!

Top Bottom