• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make-a Mario Great Again! (Canonical Moveset Changes)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In my opinion I would have all his standard attacks be moves that reference his athletic abilities while his Special and Smash attacks be based on power ups. Special/Smash attacks are very flashy and specialized moves, so it makes sense for these to be based on power ups. Standard attacks should be fast and effective for combos so those should be punch and kicks.

For example.

Forward Smash could be his Hammer from Donkey Kong
Down Smash could be swiping a Tanooki tail around him.
Up Smash could be him spinning his Propeller Cap.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would honestly only change D Air to a ground pound, give him a footstool that damages enemies, and change Down B to either the Galaxy Spin or a hammer based attack. Mario is good as he is.

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Here's my special moves for my rework

Neutral Special-Fireball
Side Special-Cappy Toss
Up Speical-Propeller Mushroom
Down Speical-Fludd
Final Smash-Etheir Mega Mushroom or T-Rex Mario from Odyssey

Besides those the jab refrening the punch kick combo from Super Mario 64 and the Fair being the spin attack from Galaxy the moveset is the same

Last edited:

Fletchking-Team Dream

Smash Apprentice
Being a Smash veteran since 64, Mario suffers from a bit of a simplistic moveset. But I think he should get the Link treatment and have his moveset updated to match the times. Competitive play will be somewhat taken into consideration.

Change 1: Replace Mario's Bair with a Tanooki Tail. This would only be cosmetic, as Mario's Bair is already a great move, but this would have much more visual flair.

Change 2: Make Mario's down air a ground pound. It boggles my mind how Mario does not have his iconic ground pound as a move yet. I know that his current Dair is extremely good for combos, so that brings me to...

Change 3: Give Mario his Down B tornado back, but keep it fast like his current Dair and give it a visual effect to reference Mario Galaxy. I like F.L.U.D.D. as a move, but it's honestly just too situational. A universally good move is better.

Change 4: Make Mario's Neutral B able to fire two fireballs simultaneously. This would match the actual move from 2D Mario games as well as make his projectile slightly better in Smash Bros.

Change 5: Fix Mario's recovery; let him glide with his cape. Mario currently has almost no recovery, and a glide would allow him to have a decent one. Not jank like Brawl, but a simple horizontal glide that can be cancelled into Up-B to give Mario an actual recovery.

Change 6: Give Mario his Smash 4 Down throw and Up tilt back. HEAR ME OUT!!! I know people complained that it was a braindead combo in Smash 4, but it wasn't broken. Mario is supposed to be the jack of all trades character that anyone can pick up. And a "braindead combo" allows for new players to understand how combos work and start playing on a more advanced level.
Plus, I want Mario to be Top Tier, so an extra guaranteed combo helps.

Change 7: Give Mario disjointed hitboxes. Unfortunately, as us Mario players know, Mario's biggest weakness is his range, or lack thereof. I'm not suggesting anything stupid like sword range, but a slight increase to his range would help Mario become top tier.

EDIT: Change 8: Make Mario's (and Luigi's) footstool jump do damage and a stronger spike. This just makes sense canonically and would give Mario a cool option.

Change 9: Mario's current Final Smash is trash, and worse, it's not even canonical! Mega Mushroom makes 1,000 times more sense.
Mario Finale is based on Ultra Flame from Super Mario RPG.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So I run a creation thread about if super smash bros was completely started anew, and right now I'm having a vote on potential new movests for Mario. I thought I would share it here because this is a thread about altering and improving Mario's moveset and so some people might be interested in this. Feel free to join if you want to.

Smashboards Creates: The Super Smash Bros of Another Universe! | Smashboards

Top Bottom