• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Major] "The Power of One" ~ Vid Channel links 1st post + Montage by Dekar

What days are you attending?

• Total voters

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Luke, not to really care about the argument here (I can't stand to read them); it really is painful to see you call someone dumb while constantly using "your" instead of "you're". Oh and the "as long as I can comprehend" point stinks, fi I klat ni gip nital od uoy ton evah yna seussi gnidneherpmoc tahw m'I ?gniyas I don't like butchering my already slowly melting away grasp of the English language as "lol" obtains dictionary definition by having to translate garble into something more understandable, even if it is as simple as "r" instead of " 're ".

Also now that corpse isn't coming, I guess I'll come.
hohohoho what?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Luke, not to really care about the argument here (I can't stand to read them); it really is painful to see you call someone dumb while constantly using "your" instead of "you're". Oh and the "as long as I can comprehend" point stinks, fi I klat ni gip nital od uoy ton evah yna seussi gnidneherpmoc tahw m'I ?gniyas I don't like butchering my already slowly melting away grasp of the English language as "lol" obtains dictionary definition by having to translate garble into something more understandable, even if it is as simple as "r" instead of " 're ".

Also now that corpse isn't coming, I guess I'll come.
hohohoho what?
Holy ****, I read this entire post thinking it was Scabe and I was like, "wow, what a hero!"

Then I realised it was Shaya, and I was like, "oh, how typical."

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
EDIT: Lets leave the Grammar Nazi business out of the thread.

Shaya, I could potentially house you since my parents know you. You get top bunk priority :p

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Alright, my critique of your rules:

Pokemon Stadium 2 should be a starter or AT LEAST a counter-pick.
Jungle Japes should be a counter-pick.
And I can't see how you can have a borderline stage like Pictochat without including Green Greens and Norfair.

I have no idea how you are going to ensure that each stock of every Melee match doesn't run over 120 seconds. Just give it an 8-Minute timer like everywhere else.

Even Winners/Losers/Grand Finals are best of 3? :awesome:

You have Mute City, Poke Floats and Corneria legal. I hope I don't have to elaborate on this point.

If Fountain of Dreams is banned in doubles you need another stage replacing it (I suggest PS) for striking purposes.

EDIT: Holy **** you actually have match 1 played on random stage. /facepalm

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
real men random. stage striking is for people who care too much and don't have enough stage tech. also the 120 sec per stock is what the timer is set to, so if it's 4 stock then it's 8 minutes, but i always thought that was supposed to be a maximum not a minimum.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
real men random. stage striking is for people who main a character that isn't amazing on every single stage and don't want to get screwed over by randomness.
Fixed that for you.

Playing against Marth on Fountain of Dreams is VERY different to playing against him on Final Destination as Ice Climbers. I could come up with a huge number of example with lots of different top tier characters that would be the same.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What's wrong with PS2?
Same with Jungle Japes.

And I really don't understand why Rainbow Cruise is banned while Brinstar is legal....
I mean really, neither should be banned.

Norfair is much better than picto...picto has been shown to randomly affect the outcomes of matches waaaaay more than Norfair.

As for Melee.

Random stage is random.
For example fox vs jigglypuff.
Could randomly get FD or DL, which heavily favors either character randomly.
Just strike, people have the option to go random anyway if they want.

And Corneria...really?

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
so your opponent strikes the stages your character is good on and you're back at square one. gg. also if your character has stage issues you should probably be learning the stages anyway because after first match counterpicks start and you're going to get a bad stage anyway.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm noting all the mistakes and criticisms btw. I will be revising it soon.

@Dif: It doesn't work like that. Stage striking ensures that the final stage is one deemable as fair towards both people. It goes both ways. We're evaluating random selection Vs an elimination method giving players close to equal control.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
so your opponent strikes the stages your character is good on and you're back at square one. gg.
And I strike the stages they are good on...?

That's the point of stage striking, to have the most balanced stage for the most important match of the set.

Sorry I can't help but laugh at this coming from a (15?) year old from Adelaide who knows **** all about the Australian community outside of his own state :urg:
>implying age is directly related to intelligence
>implying that I need to have personally attended every tournament ever in Australia to know about the community, rather than just reading the rulesets and opinions of players online.

facepalm.gif

I'm noting all the mistakes and criticisms btw. I will be revising it soon.
Good to hear.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
No one is going to stop you doing stage striking also you can just random and cancel.
I assume you SA kids enjoy being timed out on norfair?

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
@Dif: It doesn't work like that. Stage striking ensures that the final stage is one deemable as fair towards both people. It goes both ways. We're evaluating random selection Vs an elimination method giving players close to equal control.
not in the situation that was mentioned imo. if a character has troubles on particular stages then he's at a bit of a disadvantage while stage striking against the top tiers who don't really have any trouble on any of the neutrals. character with stage trouble strikes their bad stage -> top tier strikes the stage that opponent character would want to get -> top tier is now instantly at an advantage stage-wise because the opponent's character has their best stage gone while the top tier is still amazing wherever they end up. the character with stage troubles is going to get a stage they actually want a LOT less through stage striking than through randoms+cancel.

edit: i agree with zac, i don't think FD favours fox with fox vs jiggs.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
not in the situation that was mentioned imo. if a character has troubles on particular stages then he's at a bit of a disadvantage while stage striking against the top tiers who don't really have any trouble on any of the neutrals. character with stage trouble strikes their bad stage -> top tier strikes the stage that opponent character would want to get -> top tier is now instantly at an advantage stage-wise because the opponent's character has their best stage gone while the top tier is still amazing wherever they end up. the character with stage troubles is going to get a stage they actually want a LOT less through stage striking than through randoms+cancel.
Erm, so that's a fault of the character.

If you're bad on most stages then it's probably just a bad match up for you, deal with it.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
i've got nothing against stage striking. i just don't think it's THAT much fairer than random. i'd go so far to say that for 90+% of matches it won't make any difference to the outcome whether you stage strike or not.

the official match-up chart is bad

edit: the official matchup chart says that fox has the advantage everywhere so why did you even bring that up?

this one?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294133

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
i've got nothing against stage striking. i just don't think it's THAT much fairer than random. i'd go so far to say that for 90+% of matches it won't make any difference to the outcome whether you stage strike or not.
Erm... no.

In an Ice Climbers vs. Marth match-up, I think I'd have a much better chance of winning if it ended up on FD. I'm sure the Marth would have a much better chance of winning if it ended up on Fountain of Dreams.

If we striked it'd end up on YS, DL64 or BF. Which is much fairer.

the official match-up chart is bad
Right, but your opinion is more credible than it? ;)

The official NTSC match-up chart where fox has buffs that enable him to kill at an earlier percentage and has an increased recovery range?
Erm... Fox's recovery has no added range >_>

And the ability to kill slightly earlier doesn't affect it THAT much. I think the difference between his Up Smash in both versions is like... 13% or something?

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
when you random you get a cancel anyway, so if you're ICs and you end up on FoD then you just cancel it. so you still end up on YS DL64 or battlefield.

fox's recovery DOES have more range in ntsc though not much.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Erm... Fox's recovery has no added range >_>

And the ability to kill slightly earlier doesn't affect it THAT much. I think the difference between his Up Smash in both versions is like... 13% or something?
Actually, fox's recovery is slightly longer in NTSC ;)

And certainly his ability to kill being nerfed doesn't make FD a favourable stage for Jigglypuff >.>

Top Bottom