• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Major glitch?

Veigar

Smash Rookie
So what I like to do when I'm not playing is have 8 player CPU's fight each other with items. Did it since Smash 64, do it now.

I played a few 8 man CPU battles with all level 9's for 99 minutes on the Spear Pillar stage as I'm on my PC and at about the 34 minute mark it seems that the camera is glitched while all of the characters have disappeared from the stage, but they are accumulating damage. I didn't actually see this start, I just noticed it when there was no fighters on the stage anymore. Items are seeming to be drawn towards the center of the stage too, so when they spawn, they slide towards the middle. It's really, really weird. Not the first bug I've experienced though - doing this with ice climbers before has crashed the game.

EDIT: A smash ball spawned and someone seems to have got it, but the entire screen turned white!

EDIT #2: Pausing the game on the white screen turned it all black. Most characters are at 999% damage and I can still hear items spawning as well as the Pokemon in the background. Will continue and let the game play as is to see what happens on the end screen.

EDIT #3: Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWH_L3mPR0

The match also just ended, and some extremely weird effect happened....

Going to another match seems to have fixed the bug.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
This is a great find! We gotta try and replicate it! Did you save the replay by any chance? That way you could potentially review the footage to see where everything went wrong.

Veigar

Smash Rookie
The issue is that I couldn't save the replay. The match length was 99 minutes.

1. Four Yoshis versus Four Lucinas, CPU's.
2. All level 9
3. These specific items were enabled: Smash Ball, Assist Trophy, PokeBall, Masterball, Dragoon Parts, Container, Blast Box, Fake Smash Ball, SandBag, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bob-omb, Motion Sensor Bomb, Bumper, Freezie, Gooey Bomb, Smart Bomb, Deku Nut, Pitfall, Soccer Ball, Bombchu, Hocotate Bomb, Cucco, Beehive, and the Super Star Launcher.
4. Spear Pillar stage. Hazards are on.
5. 99 minute long match.
6. I don't particularly know if this one is as relevant, but the game was set to be in Japanese.

Not a texture issue because as you can see in the video, the CPU's all seemed to have vanished completely except sometimes randomly taking damage while making the grunting noises...

I don't particularly know what exactly happened that caused it but it happened somewhere at the 34 minute mark, meaning this was well into an hour of the match. Also, I should note this was the second 99 minute match, I had done this a match before (and other times I use 99 minute matches when I want to sleep.)

The part at the end with all of them being black is particularly interesting. I didn't think visually it mattered what happened during the match it actually affected the title screen. I should mention here that on Discord someone said he remembered a Tweet where a Yoshi vs Luigi fight resulted in the same results screen in them being all black.. I asked for the tweet, but he said it was a long time ago, so I don't know if it's the same thing for sure. One common denominator here is Yoshi.

I will try to replicate this glitch by putting the exact color palettes in this exact order:

P1 Is a Green Yoshi
P2 Is the first palette swap for Lucina
P3 is the Red Yoshi
P4 is Lucina's third palette swap
P5 is Lucina's default palette
P6 is the Blue Yoshi
P7 is Lucina's fourth palette swap
P8 is the Pink Yoshi

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity did you feel to see if your switch was hot? Seems like possible hardware issue, maybe memory leak and it was unable to load anymore player textures.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
OP from the reddit post said "3 stock, 8 minutes, no items, stage hazards ON".

In my opinion, the glitch is somehow caused by 8 characters and stage hazards on.

Last edited:

Veigar

Smash Rookie
Just out of curiosity did you feel to see if your switch was hot? Seems like possible hardware issue, maybe memory leak and it was unable to load anymore player textures.
Don't remember if it was hot BUT I remember it was on for several hours. Also, even if stage hazards are on, how does that affect FD?

Top Bottom