• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Major Changes Coming to Smashboards Rankings!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Hello everyone, @ Neo Zero Neo Zero here. It's been a bit of time since @Locuan and myself took over the rankings and a lot has been done since then. Additionally, with new system improvements we can finally begin maximizing them for the competitive Smash community, and I believe the steps we take today will help see that be a reality.

Time for a switch. Hey all, it’s @Locuan. As @ Neo Zero Neo Zero mentioned, there are a lot of changes coming your way. The mathematics of point dispersal have been adjusted. You will be able to read more on point dispersal in a bit. For now though, I’ll give a basic overview. We decided to go with a formula that will scale points linearly. This will avoid the huge gaps in points that we saw before. But that’s not all! Sub league creation has been implemented, as well as a feature that a lot of Tournament Organizers and Tournament Uploaders have been asking for; a search function for approved brackets. We hope you all enjoy the new features. Keep reading to find out about those nitty gritty details!

Without further ado, @Liberation here! I’ll be bringing you the breakdown of what’s to come for the new system. Let’s begin!

Table of Contents
I. Categories
II. Point Dispersal
III. Additional Features
IV. Closing Statements

:mario64: :mario64: Categories :mario64: :mario64:

Reworked Categories: The current categories will be condensed to: Unranked, Pools, Doubles/Teams, Local, Regional, National, and International. Each of these brackets will correspond to different types of events. These range from common weeklies to major tournaments that happen once a year or so. We have decided to alter categories to better reflect player performance. As usual, point dispersal varies per category. You will be able to read more on point dispersal on its dedicated section of the article. Here’s a quick breakdown:
  • Unranked: Unranked has basically been unchanged from it’s previous incarnation. Events that still fit the criteria for unranked are still classified as such. These include side events, events with no entry fee, arcadians, lowtier brackets, and events with less than eight teams or players.
  • Pools: Pools are a variant of unranked brackets that are used to note the various pools of a larger event. They are worth nothing and are for record keeping purposes only.
  • Teams: Teams is another variant on unranked we have decided to introduce. While the majority of Team brackets will be Doubles, this category will include any other variant. For example, Smash Wii U 4v4 etc.
  • Local: Locals are now encompassing the previous Large Local and Local categories. Locals will count for events that usually occur on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis. Please note that even if a high frequency local draws in high numbers it will ultimately be counted as a local. This is done to prevent situations where player rankings would potentially end up misrepresented. The amount of points dispersed to a local has been changed. Points themselves will be determined by the following formula: [Modifier x Number of Entrants = Points Dispersed]. The points dispersed has a cap that cannot be surpassed. For more information, refer to the Point Dispersal section of the Article.
  • Regional: Regionals are now encompassing most of the previous Super Regional and Regional categories. The frequency of these events is lesser than those of locals but have a large amount of players that come in from outside the local area. For example, monthlies with regional representation. A tournament would fall under the Regional Category if the players that attend come from multiple towns or cities in close proximity of where the tournament is being hosted. As mentioned previously, Regionals also have a frequency of a month or longer between events. In terms of point dispersal, Regionals will have a static value no matter the entrant size.
  • National: Nationals are high level events that contain players from multiple regions or states from one specific nation, whether it be from the US, Europe, and so on. While International players may appear, it will not always be on the level of an international tournament. Additionally, National level tournaments must include players of recognized skill, high entrant count (around 150 players or more), as well as a frequency of a few months or longer between events. Much like before, Nationals will have a static value no matter entrant size.
  • International: Internationals are events that feature a very high level of play and many of the game’s top players in attendance. The presence of players from multiple countries are indicative of a bracket being an International. These events usually occur once or twice during a year as well. Entrant count for these events usually number around 300 or more players. Internationals have a static value no matter entrant size.
  • Frequency Clauses:
    • If a series is run at a bi-weekly or higher frequency, those events will not qualify as a regional or greater category.
    • Internationals of the same series must have a separation of at least 6 months or else they will both be downgraded to Nationals.
    • Nationals of the same series must have a separation of at least 3 months or else they will be downgraded to regionals.
:luigi64: :luigi64: Point Dispersal :luigi64: :luigi64:

We have decided to revise how points are allocated. If categories are being modified it is only natural that point allocation should be modified as well!
  • Locals points are now allocated based number of entrants. For a Local, each player results in 10 points being given to the event. Keep in mind that points given for a bracket will cap at 640. In other words, your Local bracket is able to receive a maximum of 640 points.
  • Regionals will have a static value of 1280 points allocated among the players that attended regardless of the total amount of entrants.
  • Nationals will have a static value of 1920 points allocated among the players that attended regardless of the total amount of entrants.
  • Internationals will have a static value of 2560 points allocated among the players that attended regardless of the total amount of entrants.
:pikachu64: :pikachu64: Additional Features :pikachu64: :pikachu64:
Earnings: As some of you may have already noticed, we have added an Earnings functionality unto the Smashboards Ranking System. Tournament Organizers have the ability to modify payout percentages to reflect the money awarded throughout the placings in a bracket. If a custom one is not set it will fall back on a default spread, which is different for each category.

Search Function: Players, Tournament Organizers, Tournament Uploaders, and anyone with an interest in tournaments can now go the the brackets page of any game category and query the system for the option you would like. For example, Tournament Uploaders are able to enter their Smashboards username on the search bar and brackets that they have uploaded will show up neatly. There are other ways to use the Search function but in that case we will provide those who have more interest with a link to the changelog.

For those of you interested in seeing a more descriptive changelog feel free to click this link!

:link64: :link64: Closing Statements :link64: :link64:

These updates to the rankings are going to be arriving very soon. We would also like to take the time to mention that within a week’s time, we will be processing every single bracket left in the queue so we can start with a new outlook. Any brackets left in middling condition will be removed from the system or scrap logged so make sure to modify them as necessary! All existing brackets will be updated as well: Local, Regional, National, International, Pools and Unranked will not change. Large Locals will become Locals, while Super Regionals, Major and Globals will be adjusted as necessary. One week from today we’ll publish our official rankings for each game, which will be regenerated every two weeks from now on. Once this first goal is met, the update to the brand new system will be implemented!

I hope you are all as excited as we are and we hope you enjoy the new update!

The Smashboards Rankings Staff has been hard at work to implement these changes! Be sure to follow them on Twitter. and use #SBRanks when referring to the new system! @SBNeoZero, @Locuan, @LiberationEXE, @Gtown_Tom, @Vestboy_Myst.

Last edited by a moderator:

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Aww, the 3ds part makes me sad. :[ The scene really needs to grow to prevent stuff like this
I am getting a Wii U, but I'll still play on 3ds. It needs le rankingsss

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
About time the system needs an overhaul. Hopefully this goes well!

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
I think that 3DS, Wii U and Online tourneys should just be counted as one thing

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I think that 3DS, Wii U and Online tourneys should just be counted as one thing
Even if that was done honestly they'd be heavily under utilized. in the future I'd like to look back into getting a real online presence added (not just in terms of rankings but some online play integration) but for now,we still have lots of events/scenes that we want to make sure get their offline play uploaded and maximized. There's a few other things I have under my hat planned for the future that will begin being worked on once the reboot is done.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Very nice! We are actually requiring all tournament brackets be submitted to Smashboards for our Season 4 Smash 4 Georgia Power Rankings (Ends mid November) that will help us out a ton. This is good stuff!

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I have a question. Would Show Me Your Moves count as a regional or a national?

Soul.

The removal of 3DS somehow makes me think the hate people have for it is still a thing. Unfortunately. Poor handheld version ._.
Cool changes though.

DownsideC

Smash Cadet
NNID
Audiohades50
3DS FC
3797-8964-1796
rip 3ds.
Eh, Oh well, The changes still seem cool.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Regarding the new SBRanks policies on online WiiU/3DS and 3DS:

Online tournaments are very hard to verify / complete in any official sense, so we decided to make them a separate category for archiving purposes but to stop calculating explicit rankings for them, which would be grossly inaccurate anyway. This could be reversed in the future depending on how online events (especially WiiU) develop.

Concerning 3DS specifically, we tried to keep it separate from WiiU on release to see if there would be and major differences between the two leagues. After a few months it was very clear that WiiU would be the dominant competitive event, and very few 3DS results were submitted after the initial excitement wore off. That, coupled with the fact that 3DS can be used as a controller for WiiU, led us to the decision to close 3DS. If you are good at 3DS there should be nothing stopping you from placing highly in WiiU (aside from event scarcity in your area, which is not under our control). There is no secret hate for 3DS, and its removal as a ranked event should not affect your opinion about it. 3DS events can still be submitted as "Smash for WiiU">unranked/online and you can specify that it was 3DS in the title/description.

Also, here is the 3DS archive (omitted above by accident)
http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-for-3ds.7/league

update thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/category-point-changes-08-2015.409038/

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
  • Pools: Pools are a variant of unranked brackets that are used to note the various pools of a larger event. They are worth nothing and are for record keeping purposes only.

Earnings: As some of you may have already noticed, we have added an Earnings functionality unto the Smashboards Ranking System. Tournament Organizers have the ability to modify payout percentages to reflect the money awarded throughout the placings in a bracket. If a custom one is not set it will fall back on a default spread, which is different for each category.
These are currently conflicting in the rankings for past events. EX: Claiming Zhu won $2500+ at Paragon / DYFWI for getting "1st in pools".

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
These are currently conflicting in the rankings for past events. EX: Claiming Zhu won $2500+ at Paragon / DYFWI for getting "1st in pools".
Thanks for pointing that out @ EddyBearr EddyBearr . Sounds like the pools were originally put into the wrong category by the uploader. Fixed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Aww, the 3ds part makes me sad. :[ The scene really needs to grow to prevent stuff like this
I am getting a Wii U, but I'll still play on 3ds. It needs le rankingsss
Sadly you can't have competitive tournaments on the 3Ds unless it is treated as a completely different game because Olimar is nerfed in the game by hardware limitations. (The Pikmin can't keep up with him as well as they can in the Wii U version.)

Top Bottom