• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maintaining and regaining Momentum

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
So It's been a long time since the recent boards crash and I've made I feel a lot of progression for my Zss game, However there are still many things I clearly am lacking and need to learn when it comes to my competitive play in brackets and friendlies that just Urk's the hell out of me. (I just got off of work not to long ago sorry if my points are not as clear and concise as you all and I would like it to be.)

Try as I might there is always that one thing that happens whether I was already winning the match or losing horribly that just keeps momentum shifting in my opponents favour that almost demoralizes me ( and I'm not just talking about Sakurai trolling me with a trip into a D3 dash attack or MK down smash.

The best example I can have is this set I had 2 tourneys ago which landed me 7th place vs a pretty good oli (In my opinion since I've only faced a couple and there were things about his game play I noticed, Not to mention he almost constantly 3 stocked me in friendlies.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-tkY-KsIU

I am fairy certain he must have 3 stocked me or took very low damage on his second stock game 2, While I somehow managed to find the path to victory game three when I was getting bodied hard and made the fatal mistake of counter picking an Oli to Castle siege because I ignorantly assumed pikmin will collide with the statues since they count as items... -_-0

In all honesty I want to find ways to keep the good times rolling when I have that luxury since I can't always be winning sets just barely by the skin of my teeth

My lack of certain Matchup aspects and my very telegraphed bad habits aside What can I do or be more aware of to get better results from my plays.

Like seriously I got tired of everyone knowing what to do in the match ups due to facing V115 all the time so I just started learning all the techs I could ,
just so my options increased giving me a better chance to just throw out that unexpected wave bounced side b or what ever I thought would work at the time.

A few things I'd like to work on a lot include
-my close quarters combat ability I feel like I'm always trying to stay at a certain range from people unless I was going for a kill (I just get intimidated easily it seems)

-My recoveries I've gotten better at surviving vs certain characters/players but It is something I want to become a consistency Because there is still a moderate amount of gimps. (whoops I just go hit after down bing , While I've gotten significantly better at saving that jump and tricking people into think I was otherwise dead )

-Punish choices Honestly really tired of thinking I can get that down smash punish since it's really appealing and satisfying to do 39 ish percent from one hit confirm.

I'll get to the rest at some point when...or if discussions happen lol.

Thanks in advanced all comments , suggestions and inputs appreciated. <3

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
lol way to get my hopes up xD I thought things started rolling in this thread and yes I know ninjas are awesome.
the name of the song Is "reverse situation" and I honestly couldn't think of a better match. Since it was so back and forth.
I need to get game 3 uploaded the comeback I made was epic as **** and I truly deserved 7th after that hype.
now I just need to aim for higher heights somehow , I have the will so there must be a way ;-)

NH Cody

Smash Champion
lol I'm not a solo zss main but I am still a skilled enough player that I am qualified to critique you on the absolute basics (if that's what you're even looking for? your first post kinda seems like you venting your feelings as they come to mind, not a coherent appeal saying "critique me plz" or a coherent thread about anything else in particular really)

this probably should have gone in the zss gd (or the video thread if you do indeed want a critique)

edit: wait I just skipped to the end of the video. you're yosh? okay I kind of know who you are

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Lol k umm yes i guess that sort of makes a lot of sense but I guess lets try that again I'd like to learn more about retaining momentum I have and regaining momentum I've lost (whoops you just down b platform canceled into marth tipper fsmash.) things like that and i linked the video because it was a close demonstration of me losing that sexy momentum i got from a 10 second kill although I didn't deserve it since.

He only used like 2 pikmin to tether and secondly I didn't input fast fall after the foot stool.

Lastly yes I agree with my post being uber ******** but I had just got off work when i posted that so my brain was quite shut down and I clearly lack the experience putting long posts on forums D;.

Thats why i said "(I just got off of work not to long ago sorry if my points are not as clear and concise as you all and I would like it to be.)"

(It sounded so much better in my mind on my lunch break when I was thinking about it however I'd forgotten a majority of how I was going to phrase my points/questions *sigh* let's just chalk it up to typical Yosh fail I ****ed up my entire post) T.T

*edit* sorry I don't know who you are Lol i see toon link and a few come to mind but I'm never sure on these things lol.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
okay well in regard to you wanting "to learn more about momentum you have and regaining momentum you lost," I think deep down in your heart of hearts you already have the answer. the bottom line is that you have to 1. predict where your opponent will be in 0.3 seconds and 2. press the right buttons to hit your opponent (or somehow put him in a bad position). You seem to have done this pretty well vs xyoh. except, for example, when you did an sh down air on your second stock. I'm guessing that wasn't intentional. instead of doing things like this that are not hitting your opponent, and what's *worse,* leaving you open to get hit or potentially KILLED in some cases, you should be putting pressure on your opponent. As long as you are making the right predictions and have input consistency, you will always be able to retain your momentum.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Sakurai trolling me with a trip into a D3 dash attack
I feel like I know who that D3 is.
Quest is pretty legit.

And you have to realise momentum will always shift in a match, but it only ever hits you hard when you start thinking about it, and let it get to you and demoralize you over it.

It's always going to go back and forth, it's not something you can go against.

Assuming both players are around the same level of course.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Reads, predictions and guess are all the same thing.

The problem is, you never HAD momentum in the first match. A lead =/= momentum.
Keeping a lead is as simple as it sounds, don't get behind in a match.
Keeping momentum has almost nothing to do with your gameplay, and everything to do with your mentality. The hardest part about keeping momentum is if it's going your way you mindset with change and you will get lax. This allows the opponent to capitalize on your (more common) mistakes. You must force yourself to play like the match is even, or you're losing, at all times during a match. At ANY point if you feel like you're up by a considerable margin, it is very likely you will give the opponent momentum.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Very true thanks a bunch Nick! Your input is always very much appreciated :D well first things first going to spend some time practicing, my suit pieces and execution since its a somewhat frequently occurring event that results in stocks or gimps.

Top Bottom