• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maine Smash Tournament

Kais

Smash Ace
Hey everybody. There is going to be an SSBM Tournament in Falmouth, ME this week. If you'd like to go, it starts at 3:00 p.m. at Falmouth High School. Entry fee is going to be $3.00 and first place gets $20. The rules are going to be 1v1 with 3 lives and no time limit/items. Sign ups are going to be held online at http://animeclub2006.moonfruit.com in the message boards section. The entry fee is expected at the door. Oh, and did I mention it's going to be held in a theater with a pull-down screen and full speaker system? All proceeds are going to benefit the FHS Anime Club for their Anime Boston 2006 trip. Post here if you're planning on going!

~Kais

Kais

Smash Ace
Heh, I know what you mean, but I can't make the prize bigger unless I get more people. Right now, there are only 10.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Count me in if it's during the weekend. I'll bring as much of team group as I can. Add me to your attendance list as SOLAR.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Will the tournament be on a weekend or holiday? Because 3:00pm doesn't give me a long time to get there on a school day.

th0rn

Smash Lord
NSG might attend. But wtf, you don't give what day it is, or anything. You should up $3 to $5 and hell, I'd even do $10.

EDIT: this is on FRIDAY!? You realize some of us need to travel to get there, right? Some of us have school, jobs, ect.. WTF. Make this thing saturday or my crew aren't going, and team group aren't going. That would be about 10 people not showing.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Yeah 20$ for first place is pretty weak. But I'd still go either way.

Aw dude I just read your forum and it says that the date is april 7?!?! WTF friday at 2:15-6:00 it says. No one can be there at 2:15 on a friday... Did you mean saturday the 8th?

You can count out the 4 potential signups from Topsham if you host it that day and time.

Kais

Smash Ace
OKokokok, I've got the message you guys. Sorry about that, I didn't really take into account where some of you lived. I'm going to call the school and see if we can reschedule to Saturday. That may be a bit risky however. I'll post back when I'm all through with it.

~Kais

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
You could just make it friday and have it at a later time like five-ish or something.

Kais

Smash Ace
Actually, I scheduled it for Saturday from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. That was the only time I could get. Also, so all of you know, the price to play has been increased to $5.00 and the prize has been increased to $30.00 Let me know if there is anything else on your mind! I just want to accomodate everybody. (Directions to the High School come to mind)

~Kais

th0rn

Smash Lord
Hmm, this tourney seems very unclear.
We have to register through your message boards or post here? Also, we can only choose one character and only play him for the WHOLE tourney?
what if someone counters your char, you can't switch?
Are there any banned stages?
Best out of 3 matches?
do you have directions, where's the thearter?

Kais

Smash Ace
Hey th0rn, I'll try and tell you what I can right here.

Firstly, yes, you do have to register through my message boards. From there, I'll update the roster on my main page. Secondly, having one character for the duration of the tourney was my original idea because I was thinking in the same terms you are; if you can pick any character you want, whats to keep you from choosing your opponent's weakness? The game is really about who you are good with when it comes down to a tournament setting. However, if more people can vouch for your claim with their tournament experience, then I'll be more than happy to change it. Thirdly, banned stages is something I've really been struggling with. This is yet another thing that leads back to character advantages/disadvantages. I was going to have it so the two players can choose whatever stage they can mutually agree on. If not, the stage will be set to random and pick from Final Destination, Battlefield, Corneria, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, and Hyrule (just for fun). Obviously, stages like Snowy Mountain, Flatworld, and Rainbow Cruise are not going to be allowed under any circumstances. You let me know if that seems fair enough. Next, we have the "best out of three matches" thing. If you think we can get, at a minimum, two matches per pair of people PLUS the same setup for a loser's bracket done in under three hours, by all means, lets do it. If it works out that way, I bet we can allow people to switch characters as most players have at least two they are good with. And lastly (thank god) please let me direct you to the falmouth schools webpage: http://www.falmouthschools.org/hs/index.cfm The address to the school can be found there. When you arrive, please go in through the front door as there will be either signs or a person to direct you to the theater; don't worry, its placement is quite obvious. Phew, and that concludes the answering of your questions. I'd love for your team to go and I reallllllly hope you can make it. If you have absolutely any questions at all, especially those concerning directions and tourney input, please give me a call. You will find my phone number in your PM box. Thanks.

~Kais

Kais

Smash Ace
I've got a news update for you all. A member of Team Group and I have sorted things out so we can now have matches as 2/3 and character picks are going to be allowed before each match. Everything else is the same. Please direct all indiscretions to my PM box.

~Kais

th0rn

Smash Lord
Crap, I don't think NSG will be able to show because our ride has work that day and can't switch his hours. Maybe next time, if there is a next time. =/

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
When he said 10 people, he was including Team Group (Dustin, Neil, etc.) with his group NSG (th0rn, etc.). We're bringing 3 people from Team Group, and another person who plays with us on Saturdays. We're working on getting a 5th player as well (Who will either be the remaining member of Team Group or another person who plays with us).

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
I'll tell you.

All of team group in Semi-finals
Includes:
Neil Vs. Me(Dustin)
Eric Vs. Dylan

Finals:
Me Vs. Dylan

We ended up splitting the prize because it was late.

All in all I lost about a dollar on that trip on account of food and gas money. >_>

buck15wheat

Smash Rookie
I jump off the ****ing stage that son of a ***** Kais trick me in thinking i was him with that piece of **** 1P sign. So after saying that little bit i guess you guys that were there know who I am. =P

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Koreandj111 said:
What was the turnout and prize money?
17 people, $30 for first place, the rest went back towards their Anime Club. Darc and I split the prize money when we made it to the finals because it was getting a little late.

Kais

Smash Ace
18 people as a matter of fact. Twas a good time. Also, I've made a great montage of the tourney highlights that is approx. 36 min long. Anyone know where I should upload so you can all see?

~Kais

p.s. Mind you this is all the cool stuff minus the semifinals...the battery went out, sorry T_T Oh, and is either Team Group or Team NSG interested in participating in an SCIII tournament this Thursday at 5 p.m.? Same place btw.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Aim me the highlight vid and I can load it onto my website for downloading. I'm not so sure bout SCIII, I work from 11:00 - 7:00 pm on thursday, but I don't play that game really so don't look at me ^^

Kais

Smash Ace
Oh right, I've been meaning to ask you something Neil. When you played Alex (Marth) were you playing anywhere near your best? If you were, then it was one of the coolest series of the evening but if you weren't...well, I guess it wasn't as evenly matched as I thought, but still cool.

~Kais

SOLAR

Smash Ace
I loved you guys's big screen. So have you all been practicing? Show me what you learned this saturday, if you want us to come visit. Dylan, Dustin, myself and two friends that you have never met are gonna be in town and we can leave at about 5:00 pm.

Kais

Smash Ace
O.O Thats awesome. I'll tell you tomorrow where you can meet us, ok? Yeah I've been practicing. Not so much wave-dashing as in the area of broadening the way I attack. I figure that if I can vary what I do enough, that will lower my opponent's ability to counter what I do save being good at playing against my character. I think I'll practice WDing when you all come over.

~Kais

Kais

Smash Ace
We are all set for Saturday at 6:00 p.m. You're going to have to give me a call as I don't want to really discuss Buck15wheat's home address and such online without asking him. His real name is Morgan though and he was the Fox player that participated in the 3-way bye match. As for the tournament video, I submitted that to google video on Wednesday and they still haven't viewed it to verify the movie with their content policy. They say "This process may take up to several days" so I'm counting on this Sunday. For my phone number, you will find it in your PM box and be sure to call me whenever you want after 3:00 p.m. Oh, and as for today's tournament, we haven't gotten, practically, any sign-ups at all (only 4 or 5 I think) so we aren't going to hold it. Saves you a drive at least.

~Kais

BTW: I mixed up Dylan's and Dustin's names in the video...I'll be sure to note that in the vid description...sorry -_-;

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Yo, perhaps we can make our battle another time, because I'm going to be in biddeford this saturday and were going to play against NSG. I need to play against some competitive teams to practice for MLG on april 22. I'm good to go over tuesday if thats coo with you instead. I'll catch you round.

Kais

Smash Ace
Oh, is there ever. Click the link in my sig and be sure to let me know what you think!

~Kais

Top Bottom