• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main Motivation?

TheNewbLu

Smash Rookie
Been having a bit of a main identity crisis.I used to say I was a shiek main when I was playing more regularly back in 2014, but I really haven't been able to pick a single character to just stick with and play since I started back. It's starting to hinder my improvement me thinks. So I thought I'd ask the legends on smash boards, what made you not only pick but stick it out with your main? I'm not asking about dual maining either, I'll probably end up doing that but right now I'm playing literally everyone in the top 8ish sans ICs and although it's fun I'm not improving as much as I'd like. Thanks in advance for your Replies/Thoughts.

Last edited:

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
Hello, I am a Roy main and so i don’t know all the techniques that characters like captain Falcon, fox or Sheik have but i have been training with my character to use all of the potential, I also sometimes i feel that i am not progressing, for example i am not perfect doing L cancels or wavedash but keep trying to do better, you can go to training mode and practice techniques, find combos ( i find a very good but difficult roy combo that i keep trying to use in online games), trying to use some moves that i know i need to use more and etc.Also pick a main is very important, i know that can be difficult find a main but you can also try other characters like Samus, Luigui, DR. Mario and others, also the most important of the character that you will choose is that you have fun playing with that character not that the character is good so because that i use them, no, the most important if that you have fun playing the character, also try with low tiers like mewtwo or Ness, I hope my comment helps you :). If you have a question i will answerthe question.

Last edited:

Abefroman

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ABEF#110
Switch FC
SW-7672-2689-2784
It legit just comes down to who you have the most fun playing. I like Mr. GnW because he's a silly little guy that makes funny noises, his movement is really smooth and satisfying, and his punish game is surprisingly deep and powerful. He's a hot garbage character, but he has enough tools to win at all but the highest level, so improving with him has been really fun.
You've been playing for a hella long time so I'm sure you know how most characters feel by now, you just gotta pick the one that you gravitate the most towards and stick with them for a while until you can get past the uncomfortable muscle memory stage and get into the meat and potatos. And if you're bored with all of them, try some weirdos and low tiers! Maybe you've been a Mario or Samus main this whole time and you've just never given them a fair shake.

Top Bottom