• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main help.

D

Deleted member

So if anyone has seen me since I joined smashboards you know that I have been struggling with finding a character to main. I think I'll settle on Bowser because he fits my play style pretty well. A descent speed aggressive character. Do you have any tips for me. (Or if you have any characters I should try out. If you've read this you know the criteria) please help.

D

Deleted member

(keeping in mind that I'm in middle school so I'm not that good and neither are my colleagues)

How can I improve my playing without becoming too much better than my colleagues.
(Who don't even know what tilt attacks are)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I mean, I was going to tournaments and getting decent at the game when I was in middle school (dear Christ that was three years ago) so you can too if you want! If not though, I guess as Bowser you could try using Up Smash more often, as it's really strong, a bit invincible in parts, and fast. You can also jump in and fire breath on someone for a free 30% if you're in close enough range. Kind of a specific thing to give advice for though, so sorry if this isn't very helpful.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
You can also jump in and fire breath on someone for a free 30% if you're in close enough range
While this is really good if you do land it or if someone is shielding, don’t do it too often. If I know someone is gonna raw fire breath me I roll behind Bowser and can half charge F smash and kill bowser at like 70%. It usually works on me like twice, then I adapt.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I haven't done many tournaments.

Ummm.... I guess the best way to describe my skill level is that the highest level cpu I can beat is 7
Gotcha. I mainly got to the point where I could regularly defeat level 9 CPU's by playing Smash Run countless times, which really helped me get good at knowing which moves did the most/least damage and how to effectively use my character's mobility options (like jumps and up/side specials). You could try doing the same with Classic Mode or just Training on a big map like Palutena's Temple or Great Cave Offensive, just getting familiar with how Bowser moves and attacks. Shielding more often, going for more safe options (like forward air and forward tilt) instead of stuff like Bowser Bomb and forward smash, and practicing recovery all help a lot.

Also, if you spam B towards the end of Bowser's up special in the air, he goes quite a bit higher. You can thank me later.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Also, if you spam B towards the end of Bowser's up special in the air, he goes quite a bit higher.
This is actually only half-true. There is a timing to it and if you just spam it you won't go as far as if you time it properly. There are YouTube guides on how to do it, I recommend looking them up if you want to improve your Bowser gameplay. There is a custom training map out there for Bowser where you can practice the timing (if you mess it up you won't go far enough, so it's a good way to see if you're doing it correctly).

(keeping in mind that I'm in middle school so I'm not that good and neither are my colleagues)

How can I improve my playing without becoming too much better than my colleagues.
(Who don't even know what tilt attacks are)
Your best bet is probably to try to encourage your colleagues to improve as well. If they're at a level where they don't know about tilt attacks then it seems likely that you'll quickly become much better than them if they don't step it up.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is actually only half-true. There is a timing to it and if you just spam it you won't go as far as if you time it properly. There are YouTube guides on how to do it, I recommend looking them up if you want to improve your Bowser gameplay. There is a custom training map out there for Bowser where you can practice the timing (if you mess it up you won't go far enough, so it's a good way to see if you're doing it correctly).
Yes I know it's a bit more complex than that, I was explaining it in more concise terms because I didn't really think the OP needed to know the precise knowledge of how to maximize Bowser's Up B recovery just to be somewhat better than his friends at Smash.

Top Bottom