• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main help ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I kind of get that people need to fin their own path with a main but I’m dying here guys.

I’ve played every smash game ever and my faves have been:
Samus, sheikh/Zelda, King D, Bowser and Toon Link.

I haven’t a clue what my best ‘playstyle’ tbh as I always switch who I’m using.

What I do know is - I stink with Incineroar , Belmonts, palutena, Ganon and Olimar (my most recent attempt).

I also ALWAYS struggle fighting ganon, fire emblems and Pichu.

Please take pity and help me out so I can pick up and leg work with someone that may help.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Play who you want to play. Why do you need a main? Are you going to start going to tournaments?

If you've decided that you really, absolutely need one for whatever reason, it should come down to who you enjoy. What do you enjoy about the characters you listed playing? What feels good about playing them? The character that meshes most with your natural habits and playstyle is the most likely one to stick.

For example: I find big, meaty hits the most satisfying, so I mostly gravitate towards heavies. I also have fun throwing items. My top three are :ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultdaisy:

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Pick the one you like the most. Favorite game, favorite moves, favorite character, whatever.

Once you select your main, you really should only play him or her for a while to get the muscle memory going. Once you can say that you're competent, you can branch out into a few others that you can keep in your pocket.

Keep practicing.

Goof around with a random character every once in a while if your main has a quirk that stresses you out.

Focus on one, and you'll be fine. Branch out when you're ready.

I've been playing pretty much exclusively Ness for years. I'm absolute trash with everyone else, though.

Stick to your main, branch out when youre ready, goof off from time to time.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
a main is something you only need if you wanna go to tourneys otherwise it doesn't matter!
just play who you like! i play alot of characters and eventually you will know their moveset and what moves works best and which don't lol

as someone who plays Toon link alot i can tell you that Ganondorf should be easy for you to handle since you can easily keep your distance and hit him with projectiles. Ganondorf is not a character you wanna get close to if you don't have to..because 1 or 2 mistakes and you might lose your stock already.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
Someone you stink with today may be your best if you work at it! That's how I found my love of Kirby, to be honest. I agree with the rest, go with who brings you the most happiness/pride in playing! If you play enough, you will get good. And all these characters have specific forums for them with guides to help you get started, and youtube videos are extremely helpful in learning.

My humble suggestions for the kiddos you're currently struggling with:
Ganon :ultganondorf: - He's slow, and therefore has a lot of opportunities to be struck when loading up an attack. Capitalize on those opportunities. Keep in mind his strength, and how his moves have priority over most. Some moves are so strong that he will follow through with them even if you hit him! He also has a pretty large grounded horizontal range to him between his down special, side special, usmash and side smash. I usually try to nail him with quick hits, projectiles, and air strikes as a whole. BE CAREFUL WHEN EDGE GUARDING HIM. He has a lot in his tool belt to punish poor edge guarders.
Pichu :ultpichu: - The world struggles against this little squirt. He has to get close to land most of his quick hits, so I find myself grabbing him a ton to combat this. Evade, evade, evade and you'll find he's racking up his own damage using electric attacks. Most pichu's are creatures of habit, so if you can learn their behavior you can anticipate it and punish them for it. He's so little he's easy to kill at low damages, so keep that in mind.
Swordsmen :ultmarth::ultlucina:- These guys are excellent at spacing. I utilize a lot of dodge rolls and arials to try and negate their sword lengths. Try to avoid fighting them towards the edge of a board, as they can get kills a low %s if you're not careful. If you use a character with projectiles, I like to spam them until they start countering. When they start countering, go in for a grab or smash punish!

Good luck on your search!!

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Ganon :ultganondorf: - He's slow, and therefore has a lot of opportunities to be struck when loading up an attack. Capitalize on those opportunities. Keep in mind his strength, and how his moves have priority over most. Some moves are so strong that he will follow through with them even if you hit him! He also has a pretty large grounded horizontal range to him between his down special, side special, usmash and side smash. I usually try to nail him with quick hits, projectiles, and air strikes as a whole. BE CAREFUL WHEN EDGE GUARDING HIM. He has a lot in his tool belt to punish poor edge guarders.
I have to disagree with most of this. Ganondorf has no more priority than any other character, and no super armor on any of his moves besides a grounded Warlock Punch. He's also extremely vulnerable off stage and should almost always be pursued, as he has a very predictable recovery with few mixup options. Lastly, one has to be choosy about which Dorf attacks to capitalize upon and when. It's a fine balance between capitalizing on his openings and respecting his range--trying to outspeed his smash attacks will get you cleaved a lot of the time. It's often better to punish the cooldown rather than the windup.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I have a main crisis almost every month. I tend to go back to Pac-Man, Incineroar and Ridley as my most fun characters. It's difficult to really guide someone to main a character because only you know who you really have fun with. I can't main someone I don't have fun with, even if they would be better options and get me better results at my locals. Sadly, I haven't much advice other than find who clicks and you enjoy most and stick right with them.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
I have to disagree with most of this. Ganondorf has no more priority than any other character, and no super armor on any of his moves besides a grounded Warlock Punch. He's also extremely vulnerable off stage and should almost always be pursued, as he has a very predictable recovery with few mixup options. Lastly, one has to be choosy about which Dorf attacks to capitalize upon and when. It's a fine balance between capitalizing on his openings and respecting his range--trying to outspeed his smash attacks will get you cleaved a lot of the time. It's often better to punish the cooldown rather than the windup.
You have to disagree? Or you felt you wanted to flex? :rolleyes:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I kind of get that people need to fin their own path with a main but I’m dying here guys.

I’ve played every smash game ever and my faves have been:
Samus, sheikh/Zelda, King D, Bowser and Toon Link.

I haven’t a clue what my best ‘playstyle’ tbh as I always switch who I’m using.

What I do know is - I stink with Incineroar , Belmonts, palutena, Ganon and Olimar (my most recent attempt).

I also ALWAYS struggle fighting ganon, fire emblems and Pichu.

Please take pity and help me out so I can pick up and leg work with someone that may help.
Choose one or two characters. The more characters you invest time in, the less improvement you'll gain that could have otherwise been spent on one character. Do you like to zone out people? In other words, do you like to keep a safe distance and attack mainly with projectiles to force your opponent to shield, roll, dodge, or jump? Do you prefer to be up close and personal and rush your opponent down? Maybe you prefer a blend of each? If you choose a zoner, you're going to be playing mostly defensive, while the other options will allow you to play mostly offensive. Keep in mind that both offensive and defensive options apply to all characters, but some are reward more with one or the other.

If you think you're not good with the character you've listed, then don't use them. You shouldn't force yourself to play as a character who doesn't feel right to you. Choose a character who does feel right to you. If tier placements matter to you, then find a better character who feels right to you. Mario, for example, is quite basic, but he's a very good character. He'll struggle against sword users, however. If you like the characters you've listed, go for them. Of those you mentioned, Bowser would probably be good, but he's large, so he'll be exposed to combos. Samus has pretty good options, but her close quarter combat struggles. I'd go for Young Link instead of Toon Link, though, since he's the better of all Link characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom