• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magnet to Bair?

Abard.

Smash Rookie
Hey guys.

I have been playing around with magnet a lot recently, and I am unable to Double Jump out in a direction with Ness' back facing the direction. Whenever I use my Double Jump out of Magnet quickly, I turn around in magnet before I Double Jump, meaning that I can't Bair the opponent. However, I am able to do it if I stay in magnet for a bit longer, but I have no idea why. Is there some trick to when you hold the direction to Double Jump out?

Thanks for any potential help!

PockyDesu

Smash Rookie
You just have to practice B reversing (or prevent yourself B reversing) it mid combo. There are a few frames at startup where you can reverse magnet. Just takes a little precision.

PockyDesu

Smash Rookie
Check out wave bouncing in one of the pinned threads too. Should be helpful.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
There's a very small (4 frame iirc) window after turning around when Ness cannot turn around again. This is the only time other than just after the start where you can jump backwards out of magnet. A pretty small window, but possible with practice.

Abard.

Smash Rookie
There's a very small (4 frame iirc) window after turning around when Ness cannot turn around again. This is the only time other than just after the start where you can jump backwards out of magnet. A pretty small window, but possible with practice.
OK so I have been playing more with this, and as soon as the move is going down (after you release the B button and magnet has been out for minimum length) Ness cannot turn around, and with this method I can pretty cosistently get run up magnet to combo to bair. This is a lot more consistent than the 4 frame window, but either way thanks for the help.

Abard.

Smash Rookie
Here is a video of it confirming on Fox and Marth, and I assume it works on everyone else.

To do the Magnet turned around instead of B reversed, just put the joystick in between the down and down-right notch things on the GC controller. then just tap B, wait for about 15 frames (just a guess) and then double jump Bair.

If someone who knows more about Project M than I do (I'm coming from Melee) can tell me how useful this is, or other options out of magnet for a kill, it would be greatly appreciated.

Boiko

:drshrug:
You do an advancing magnet, wait 5 frames, and then reverse your direction then you have to jump out within I believe 4 frames. It's very good.

DHD

Smash Cadet
There is definitely some waiting there, but I can't say how long.
The easiest way to practice this is to jump past someone and do the magnet so that it hits with your back turned and then jump out backwards to b-air them. You can also wave bounce your magnet to get your back towards them, but this requires lower % and much more precision.

Abard.

Smash Rookie
You do an advancing magnet, wait 5 frames, and then reverse your direction then you have to jump out within I believe 4 frames. It's very good.
I just went through the video frame by frame, and I don't think that Ness turns around mid magnet, but rather at the start. As DHD said there is also a longer wait time than 4 frames in order to not turn around.

Boiko

:drshrug:
I just went through the video frame by frame, and I don't think that Ness turns around mid magnet, but rather at the start. As DHD said there is also a longer wait time than 4 frames in order to not turn around.
Yes, that's a bturn around magnet. If you do a regular advancing magnet without doing a bturn around and attempt to turn around regularly, you'll b reverse.

Top Bottom