• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic: The Gathering and Commander (EDH)

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. Yeah, I've bee using it since I started playing Magic. It's great for all my deck ideas since I can't afford a Standard competitive deck.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Yeah I wouldn't get into standard at the moment. Stuff is about to rotate out in October and it would be a huge waste of money.

If you are looking for a cheap competitive FNM deck for standard alas there is always mono red or some sort of R/x aggro. I always have some sort of mono red or R/x red deck built for when I'm tired of playing whatever deck I am at the time or to lend out to a friend if they want to play some FNM. Aggro sounds boring but it is a very intrucate deck that takes a HUGE amount of skill to play in order to be successful with it.

edit: Most mono R decks cost less than 75-125 depending on what build you use and if a certain card is popular.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I konw. There are tons of mono-red budget decks that are competitively worthy. I actually love burn. My favorite colors would have to be Blue, Red, and Black. Vile, destructive, controlling - awesome stuff.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Oh, I konw. There are tons of mono-red budget decks that are competitively worthy. I actually love burn. My favorite colors would have to be Blue, Red, and Black. Vile, destructive, controlling - awesome stuff.
I'm not sure what my favourite colour is. They each bring so much to the game, and I can't pick just one. Green usually enables the others in fun ways, though.

Nice Bant Sliver deck, Lyth! Why aren't you running the mana sliver?

Woooo that sheet.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Oh man if I where to pick ONE color it would probably have to be blue.

Favorite three color deck has to be RUG.

My favorite standard deck to date has to be RUG Pod when SOM Block and Innistrad Block where in standard together. I always top 8'ed with it on FNM nights and although never got top 8 at a PTQ with it I wasn't too far off.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see there is some activity in this thread. I just got into Magic about 5-6 months ago, but I really went ham for awhile - I was so excited, haha.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Nice Bant Sliver deck, Lyth! Why aren't you running the mana sliver?

Woooo that sheet.

Thanks! I don't think I'll need it with Aether Vial, so it'll leave a lot of mana open for countering.

I suppose if it turns out to need tweaking, I can always add them in. :3

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Oh man if I where to pick ONE color it would probably have to be blue.

Favorite three color deck has to be RUG.

My favorite standard deck to date has to be RUG Pod when SOM Block and Innistrad Block where in standard together. I always top 8'ed with it on FNM nights and although never got top 8 at a PTQ with it I wasn't too far off.
Rug is such a fun combo. In Edh it tends to lend itself to goodstuff and combo decks that are all kinda similar, but they're still a blast to play.

@lyth: Good point, haha. I need to get some vials for my sliver deck, I think.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Mono-blue edh is awesome. I just theorycrafted a mono-red edg with Zo-Zu, too - land destruction/burn/aggro.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Rug is such a fun combo. In Edh it tends to lend itself to goodstuff and combo decks that are all kinda similar, but they're still a blast to play.

@lyth: Good point, haha. I need to get some vials for my sliver deck, I think.
I always enjoy watching someone play Animar combo in edh. It was a deck I looked into at one point. It seems VERY fun and can lead to ridiculous kills.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Seriously. The only reason I don't run it or Riku combo is because my meta hates combo, big time, so I play a Maelstrom Wanderer (formerly Riku, rip) goodstuff deck. Animar is really fun though, even though it's pretty disruptable.

We should all do Cockatrice sometime.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't really suggest storm in casual format. I used to have a casual storm deck that no one like to play against because it is very non interactive. It's pretty much playing single player magic especially against casuals.

yeah all but 1 of my friends hates that i play storm. even other tournament players i bump into hate storm.

bitterblossom is just a really powerful card that can only get better since all threats that cost 3 or more basically need to have an ETB trigger to not lose value i.e. clique/walkers and blossom is really solid against both. i was pretty salty when modern was announced because i basically had the old extended faeries and dark depths decks already built and they hard banned both of them. that said i don't think blossom should come off the list, it'll just hard polarize the format towards black for blossom and/or decay.

Whipped up some decks to order, but I want a third to throw in there.

Why does B/U have to be such an expensive pair? ;-;
I only play UB decks and nothing else. Once you get the Deltas, Seas, FOW, LED, Thoughtseizes everything else isn't so bad.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
You may already know but there is a 1-drop "all slivers have flying" sliver out in m14 now. iMtG puts the median price at 2.50 though :/
I hate flighting slivers lol. Slivers and mill...

So I recently felt like playing Rakdos, and not spending a lot of money. And because Innistrad's rotating out soon, I figured I'd prep it with nothing before Return to Ravnica. Just casual, and not sure I really care about standard, but it means fewer cards to know about the existence of :/
Anyway: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aint-no-party-like-a-bloodbath/

It's basically low ccm haste or unleash with buffs and Dying Wishes. The sac ability on the Flailer is nice but I'm especially excited for using Auger Spree and Dying Wish in tandem. I kill my own creature and add 4 power to it to deal 4 unblockable on top of the power there already.
I haven't played with it yet but I think it'll be fun.

More burn?

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
yeah all but 1 of my friends hates that i play storm. even other tournament players i bump into hate storm.

bitterblossom is just a really powerful card that can only get better since all threats that cost 3 or more basically need to have an ETB trigger to not lose value i.e. clique/walkers and blossom is really solid against both. i was pretty salty when modern was announced because i basically had the old extended faeries and dark depths decks already built and they hard banned both of them. that said i don't think blossom should come off the list, it'll just hard polarize the format towards black for blossom and/or decay.

I only play UB decks and nothing else. Once you get the Deltas, Seas, FOW, LED, Thoughtseizes everything else isn't so bad.
Although I don't have all the cards I do love me some Sneak and Show in legacy.

Yeah blossom shouldn't come off the Modern banned list. I am so happy they finally banned BBE now 65% of the format isn't Jund. At the moment in Modern I am playing Eternal Command, it's really fun but kinda gets blown out by DRS, but that is what the burn package is for haha. Idk I like modern but I don't have a deck I really want to play in it. =/

D

Deleted member

losing to DRS is a terrible place to be in any format. it's a big part of why i switched off of team america- DRS hurting tempo-based decks hurt team america more than it helped my deck even though it fit both colors.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

Haha, yeaaah. It's the acquiring them that tends to be the problem. I couldn't remember how much Thoughtseize goes for these days, so I checked and URGH.

You may already know but there is a 1-drop "all slivers have flying" sliver out in m14 now. iMtG puts the median price at 2.50 though :/
I hate flighting slivers lol. Slivers and mill...

Yeah, Winged Sliver is better than Galerider though in this particular deck, because of Aether Vial. All of my creatures have a converted mana cost of 2, so I'll just be able to throw them down without mana. It's gonna be dumb!

Do you guys play any Legacy/Modern?

I think most of my decks are Legacy or Vintage, but there's no way they could keep up in real Legacy or Vintage formats, they are just too poverty. I don't really play any particular format but EDH. I could probably get behind Modern, if they didn't ban so much stuff.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Do you guys play any Legacy/Modern?
Yeah I play both, I don't have the money to afford a Legacy deck but my friends usually have spare decks that they allow me to put together. As I stated before my favorite legacy deck is Sneak and Show and modern atm is Eternal Command.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Man I haven't posted in this thread in a long time.

Yes I do play Legacy and Modern as well. In Legacy I play Goblins and in Modern I play U/R Storm. I can't wait for Grand Prix Detroit and Grapeshot people. Going to be fun ^ _ ^

Also within the time of my last post I got a TCGPlayer 5k Top 8 and 3 Platinum 2k Top 32's. Nothing as impressive as UTDZac but still I was really happy. Other than that I haven't been playing much due to work and trying to get cards for a new Standard deck. Going to be fun >_>

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Man I haven't posted in this thread in a long time.

Yes I do play Legacy and Modern as well. In Legacy I play Goblins and in Modern I play U/R Storm. I can't wait for Grand Prix Detroit and Grapeshot people. Going to be fun ^ _ ^

Also within the time of my last post I got a TCGPlayer 5k Top 8 and 3 Platinum 2k Top 32's. Nothing as impressive as UTDZac but still I was really happy. Other than that I haven't been playing much due to work and trying to get cards for a new Standard deck. Going to be fun >_>
It was all luck, admit it. <3

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
scavenger ooooooze

and competitive-wise I think ratchet bomb has a lot to say about all these tokens running around

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Finally got around to putting my mono-red Norin the Wary deck online. Take a look, it's easily my favorite EDH deck I've played thus far.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/norin-the-wary-edh-02-12-13-1/

Some of the weird card choice explanations:
  • Genesis Chamber: This is basically written "At the beginning of each end step, put a 1/1 duder into play."
  • Purphoros, God of the Forge: Also re-written to "At the beginning of each end step, deal 2 damage to each opponent."
  • Pandemonium: Same as above.
  • Confusion in the Ranks: Easily one of the best win condition, as it shuts down the ability for your opponents to keep their creatures under their control. Exchanging with Norin means Norin will eventually get exiled from them and return to play under your control.
  • Pyrohemia: Because of Norin and the fact you can stack these two end step triggers, you can basically ignore the downside of this card.
  • Avarice Totem: With 10 mana you can first target Norin, then with the ability on the stack target an opponents card. When it resolves, you get their card and they get totem, then it forces an exchange with the totem they just got for your Norin.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
This is the deck I'm trying to build:
White enchantment/human deck
22 Plains

Creatures: 20 (22 counting Eidolon)
2 Angelic Overseer
2 Celestial Ancient

2 Heliod, God of the Sun

2 Silverblade Paladin
2 Fabled Hero

2 Kor Spiritdancer
2 Hero of Iroas

4 Champion of the Parish
2 Nyxborn Shieldmate

Spells: 20 (22 counting Heliod)
2 Privileged Position
2 Sphere of Safety

2 Eidolon of Countless Battles

4 Soul Tithe
2 Journey to Nowhere
2 Pearl Medallion

4 Ethereal Armor
2 Flickering Ward
62 cards

Sideboard:
2 Enchanted evening
2 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
2 Loyal Sentry
2 Tragic Poet

Last edited:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
White weenie/human is usually a lot more aggro, so I would probably take out the Sphere of Safety for something else.

Also, you could play Celestial Archon instead of Serra Angel, because it's the same thing, plus enchantment.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
White weenie/human is usually a lot more aggro, so I would probably take out the Sphere of Safety for something else.

Also, you could play Celestial Archon instead of Serra Angel, because it's the same thing, plus enchantment.
Thing is about Celestial Archon is that it has first strike, in this deck I have six cards that grant some form of first strike (Ethereal Armor, Silverblade Paladin), and while I know that Heliod gives vigilance to creatures, there is only two of him so vigilance where I can get it is appreciated. I'm also trying to have this deck with a double safety, the human part, where I can go aggro without enchantments, or, if I have just or nothing but enchantments, I can use Soul Tithe and Journey to Nowhere to stall until Sphere of Safety. I deal with a lot of black, green, and artifact decks where I end up against tricky creatures and spells I can't deal with. So I have a dual deck to function with or without its counterpart. But if you know of an enchantment that I can swap it out for, tell me.
Also if there is a card that you know of that has vigilance and can replace Serra Angel and is under $12: let me know.
If I get a creature that doesn't have vigilance, I think that it should benefit the rest of my team. The Celestial Ancient comes to mind..

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Is this a casual deck, or are you aiming for a particular format? Do you usually play 1v1 or multiplayer?

I just think you are trying to do too many things, so your deck feels like it lacks focus. You have some very aggro cards, like Silverblade Paladin and Champion of the Parish, but then some really, really slow ones, like Heliod, and Sphere of Safety. It's a good idea to have a backup plan, but if I were you, I would consider whether you want to overwhelm your opponents with creatures very quickly, or play a really slow, grindy game. It seems like your deck wants both, and while I think you could support one with your sideboard, aiming for both is a bit much in your maindeck. Even then, I'm not sure. I think you need to go with one or the other!

I think if you want to aim for more aggro, I think you are gonna need more human/weenies. If you are gonna aim for slow/grindy, you're gonna need some more control cards.

Aggro suggestions:
- Boros Recruit
- Accorder Paladin
- Doomed Traveler
- Promise of Bunrei
- Honor of the Pure
- Elite Vanguard
- Blade Splicer
- Eight-and-a-Half Tails

Control suggestions:
- Mesa Enchantress
- Luminarch Ascension
- Oblivion Ring
- Ghostly Prison
- Martyr's Bond
- Wrath of God

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Aggro suggestions:
- Boros Recruit - That's pretty good, I'll consider it
- Accorder Paladin - Not really better than Hero of Iroas and Kor Spiritdancer because they both get +1/+1 or +2/+2 from spells and let me either draw a card or make all auras 1 mana cheaper to cast. Also this benefits artifacts: I only have two artifacts in my deck
- Doomed Traveler - Loyal Sentry would be better than this
- Promise of Bunrei - This is one of the best cards you suggested and I'll consider getting it, just not for this deck and maybe my white/green deck.
- Honor of the Pure - Not really needed because of all of the one-cast auras that give creatures a +6/+6 average
- Elite Vanguard - I have Soldier of the Pantheon which is this with a bonus of protection and life from multicolored. Also I now have Nyxborn Shieldmate so it's good late-game with a bestow of 1 and an added bonus for Kor Spiritdancer
- Blade Splicer - honestly, this is horrible for my deck because not only is it a three-cast 1/1 with a 3/3 golem: but it gives GOLEM creatures first strike. Good card, but for golem deck, not a human or enchantment deck, sorry
- Eight-and-a-Half Tails - this would only be good in a side-board and certainly not in a human deck. Also the "target creature becomes white" is bad because I have nothing that gives bonuses to white

Control suggestions:
- Mesa Enchantress I have something better than this in the form of Kor Spiritdancer, the same thing but with a bonus (did you look at the cards in my deck before suggesting?)
- Luminarch Ascension - good but risky and not rewarding enough to lose creatures in order to put a quest counter on it
- Oblivion Ring I have the same thing as this (sort of) but with one less cost, though with my Pearl Medallion I may consider it
- Ghostly Prison - This is by far the best card you have suggested and I'm seriously considering swapping out the Sphere of Safety for this, great card!
- Martyr's Bond - good but I'd rather just prevent my losses with Privilaged Position
- Wrath of God - this card wouldn't be good for this deck because it would be destroying the auras and making them a waste. I'm going to share the base of a WoG deck with you.

Some of these suggestions just make me wonder if you know what some of the cards in my deck are... For example you said that Elite Vanguard would be a good aggro card when I have the same thing in there just with protection from multicolored and you gain one life when someone casts a multicolored. Also you said that my deck is kind of a defense and aggro deck, losing it's focus. But here is how I plan to play this:
Turn 1: Plains, Champion of the Parish
Turn 2: Plains, Hero of Iroas
Turn 3: Plains, cast 1 Journey to Nowhere/Soul Tithe to get rid of blockers, put two Ethereal Armor on Hero of Iroas, and swing with a 10/10 first striker. How is that not aggro?
I have Kor Spiritdancer, Hero of Iroas, and Fabled Hero who get extra bonuses for being enchanted or having enchantments out, so it is easy to raise your 3 2/2s to 3 10/10s in one turn with three mana. With all of the bonuses to these creatures, whether it be protection from a chosen color, vigilance, first strike, double strike, 1/1 counters, hexproof, and also extra bonuses for the number of enchantments I have, it makes me able to swing with ALL of my creatures without having to worry about taking damage the next turn because they would have to pay 8 mana for EACH creature they attack with. They also can't even pay after I swing with all of my powerhouses because they have Soul Tithe on one of the few creatures left that I didn't kill, so they have to pay that creatures mana cost or lose it. The thing is, all of my creatures have vast aggro potential, and that potential is realized in this deck. This combination of cards allows me to go super aggro with my 4 10/10 double strikers without having to worry about being targeted by spells because all my permenents are hexproof or they don't have the mana for it because they have to get rid of Soul Tithe, or they have to spend mana on gettting more creatures because in my last attack I killed them because I swung for 40 with all of my creatures. Also, with Eidolon (which I can make his bestow cost equal 2) I could give a creature +16/+16 because I have 6 creatures and 10 enchantments including him and Heliod. Speaking of Heliod, because he is indestructible I could make him invincible with Flickering Ward and give my creatures vigilance permanently, or if I'm in danger of getting attacked by a super powerful creature (that my creatures can't block, and if my Sphere of Safety isn't enough to stop him: I could activate Heliod's ability and bring out an enchantment creature to raise the mana cost of that creature's attack. Oh, and one final thing, I'm building this for single player.

WoG deck:
This is a very rough idea
White/green
4 Wrath of God
4 Day of Judgement
4 Martial Coup
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Exoskeletal Armor

2 Silverblade Paladin
4 Champion of the Parish

I could throw some other stuff in there to but this is just a rough idea that I don't really want to do.

Also here is an idea for a deck I really want to see, one where getting 80 or more life in ONE turn is child's play.
Super life-gain deck:
24 plains
4 Felidar Sovereign
4 Rhox Faithmender
4 Nearheath Pilgrim
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra’s Ascendant

2 Beacon of Immortality
4 Celestial Mantle
2 Boon Reflection
2 Privileged Position
2 Chalice of Life
4 Pearl Medallion
4 Flickering Ward
64 cards
You can activate Serra's Ascendant's ability on two turns easily, and have one-cast 6/6s. You can equip all of your creatures with what is essentially quadruple lifelink or more. You know where I said that gaining 80 life in one turn was child's play? Well with this deck after turn three or four, gaining 200 life isn't that hard to do. This is the deck where even if you didn't have Felidar Sovereign: they would forfeit because they literally can't bring you down to zero because you have 1000 life and are doubling it each turn. Also since you win the game when you have 40 or more life, this deck is kind of broken. Okay, very broken because if you get one Martyr of Sands you can win in two turns...Yeah.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I haven't played Magic in a while... I need to. I got really burned out on the game after a "friend" threw two years of friendship out the window because of it.

I would build modern, but prices are crazy right now. I'll just stick with edh for a while.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Is this a casual deck, or are you aiming for a particular format? Do you usually play 1v1 or multiplayer?

I just think you are trying to do too many things, so your deck feels like it lacks focus. You have some very aggro cards, like Silverblade Paladin and Champion of the Parish, but then some really, really slow ones, like Heliod, and Sphere of Safety. It's a good idea to have a backup plan, but if I were you, I would consider whether you want to overwhelm your opponents with creatures very quickly, or play a really slow, grindy game. It seems like your deck wants both, and while I think you could support one with your sideboard, aiming for both is a bit much in your maindeck. Even then, I'm not sure. I think you need to go with one or the other!

I think if you want to aim for more aggro, I think you are gonna need more human/weenies. If you are gonna aim for slow/grindy, you're gonna need some more control cards.

Aggro suggestions:
- Boros Recruit
- Accorder Paladin
- Doomed Traveler
- Promise of Bunrei
- Honor of the Pure
- Elite Vanguard
- Blade Splicer
- Eight-and-a-Half Tails

Control suggestions:
- Mesa Enchantress
- Luminarch Ascension
- Oblivion Ring
- Ghostly Prison
- Martyr's Bond
- Wrath of God
I haven't played Magic in a while... I need to. I got really burned out on the game after a "friend" threw two years of friendship out the window because of it.

I would build modern, but prices are crazy right now. I'll just stick with edh for a while.
Here is the deck that I'm building. It's the same deck as before, but buffed and polished!
@ Lythium Lythium I sorta took your advice about choosing one or the other. Though I just cut the human out of the Human/enchantment typing. It is still an aggro control deck. Read more about this below. (I love this deck idea!) I call this:

Invulnerability: The White Enchantment Deck

Land (22)
20x Plains
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Creatures (20)
3x Celestial Ancient

2x Heliod, God of the Sun

2x Mesa Enchantress
4x Eidolon of Countless Battles

2x Hero of Iroas
2x Kor Spiritdancer

3x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2x Hopeful Eidolon

Enchantments (16)
2x Privileged Position
2x Curse of Exhaustion
2x Sphere of Safety

4x Oblivion Ring

4x Ethereal Armor
2x Flickering Ward

Artifacts (4)
4x Pearl Medallion

62 cards total

Sideboard (6)
2x Aura of Silence
2x Ghostly Prison

2x Grand Abolisher

This deck focuses on strength. Through Pearl Medallion and Hero of Iroas : spells can cost up to six less then they would normally, making putting out Privileged Position, Sphere of Safety, and Curse of Exhaustion in one turn is very possible. You may be wondering why I just said that my deck is essentially an aggro deck: With the Sphere protecting me from taking too much damage I'm free to swing with everyone and not be punished to badly for it. The hexproof is to guard against the very common enchantment removal. Flickering Ward can cover the creatures that I pile auras on.

The one-casts are designed so that they (Nyxborn Shieldmate , Hopeful Eidolon ) can be useful in mid to late-game as auras. Kor Spiritdancer + Mesa Enchantress + Hero of Iroas + Pearl Medallion makes chains of casting spells only to draw more to cast very possible. The only limit to this is the spells' minimum of one cast, which means that putting out 2 Ethereal Armor , 1 Flickering Ward and 2 Soul Tithe will cost 5 at a minimum. This is still a scary reality for the opponent. The reason for my having a total of 6 three-cast creatures is because 2 of the Eidolon of Countless Battles are to be used as auras.

I could use some help with what to include in my side-board.

Also if in game 1 for some reason mana costs are a problem then I can swap out Privileged Position and Sphere of Safety for their lite versions; Aura of Silence and Ghostly Prison . Also if you see any good cards that have less mana symbols in them, let me know.

I saw that burn decks will be a problem so I added Curse of Exhaustion to make thinks harder for Haste users and, well, any color.

Last edited:
Top Bottom