• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia game rules suggestion for all future games.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hi, I assure you that this is not an angry post. I am making this with all sincerity and good intentions, and this is a true suggestion to improve all future games.

The recent "Whose mafia is it anyway" game had an unfortunate ending to D2, with me telling off a player who (from my perspective) broke the rules to post a large, multi-paragraph, and game-affecting (in my eyes) post after his own flip and during N2.

I got modkilled for that, and sadly, it was the right call. My mistake led to a true shift in the game state, and it needed to be punished.

However, what wasn't known to me was that his post-flip large post was approved by the mods in the first place. He reached out to them and asked. If I had known that he hadn't broken the rules to make his post, I would have held my tongue and saved my sentiments for post game.

Did the mods make a mistake here? Sure. Do I hold it against them for future games, despite my real and current anger? Of course not, they're only human. Did I still need to be modkilled or punished? Well yeah, I broke the rules and heavily affected the game state through my action.

But this situation points out a large flaw in our rules: we have no codified, agreed-upon protocol for "bah!" post-death posts. Heck, "whose mafia" doesn't even have a rule in the OP for them, and I just checked again. In fact, it has a rule clearly saying not to post after death despite the "bah!" tradition.

With this tradition being unclear, this kind of situation is bound to happen again. Mods will one day do something that breaks the tradition, someone will react wrongly due to the tradition break accidentally not being announced, and the scenario will repeat. So I propose that we create a new rule to codify "bah!" posts.

It could be something simple like: "Only post 20 words max, and only after the next Day phase starts. You are also not allowed to post game-relevant info or reads, per mod discretion."

Anything, really. It'd be a simple way to keep an unfortunate situation from happening again in the future.

I look forward to hearing what you all think and taking part in a discussion on this matter. I'd also like to ask that the situation from "Whose mafia" isn't brought up, due to the game still being ongoing.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
This was an unfortunate turn of events... usually the "bah" posts are terse and sweet, sometimes humerous; I honestly would hate to put guidelines on it. Sure, soup's post didn't really seem like a "bah" post, as it was a structured recap of gameplay that probably* should've been saved for the end. However, I won't allow that one post to force restrictions upon the rest of us.

While i stated that I hated putting guidelines on joke-y death posts, another thing that I hate is administering punishments (I'm an excessive warnings guy myself). Lore unfortunately broke the rules to an honest mistake; I personally would have sent a private notice to Lore to stop posting, as a modkill would be sent on the next post. That would be no harm, no foul, everybody still has a good time. But breaking rules, regardless if you were aware of them, is a risk within itself that you could get punished for.

It's easy to drive over the speed limit, and there's a good chance that you won't be arrested for doing so. But we shouldn't be complaining if we get pulled over for going a couple miles over because we've gone 10 over before. My point is, we've been pretty lenient when it comes to death posts and night posts. I personally don't see any need to restrict one's final post with an actual set-in-stone rule; instead, just a rule of thumb. Keep is short and snappy, wish everybody luck, and take your seat in the graveyard chat. Soup's final post could have easily been interpreted as a game-changing post, as Lore did. However, Lore took the risk by responding after the day's end, even if his post had noble intentions. The problem with this case, is that we can't simply punish the dead, so Lore bit the bullet.

Sure. There's a tradition in DGames that lets players make one post after death. The rules in this game contradict the tradition. However, in my interpretation, the rulea of the game only bind the living players. You can't exactly punish a dead player for following the unspoken traditions of DGames, which is why soup is just fine. I do not believe these traditions need to be enforced, though. Most players know to keep it short, even if soup felt they needed to provide an explanation. Therefore, I say we keep the traditions as they are. Yet, we must always be aware of the game being played; if someone wants to take the risk of following a tradition that contradicts the game rules, then they can if they please. If it's predictament would occur in a game that I host where my rules contradict tradition, I would let it go. But it's really all up to the moderator how much leniency they will provide.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Not sure if I agree that no restriction is necessary, given my experience. But that is edging into ongoing-game discussion and we need to stay away from that.

Point is, this misunderstanding has now happened. In hindsight, it's surprising that this is the first time it happened.

We may not need something overly strict, but even a simple "only post your bah post during the next Day phase, no exceptions" rule would do wonders.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Ahoy ahoy!

I don't mod DGames but looking at this from someone not involved in this specific game at all (except being a replacement but the game's at like 60 pages... yall think I'm subbing in anytime soon? LOL), I can definitely see why you'd be upset about this. Part of the reason you even posted was because the other party broke the rule - your death would've been completely avoided had the hosts publicly approved the post, so that's not fair for anyone in the game. But I also have to agree that this discussion can't meaningfully occur without impacting the current game-state. I definitely think this discussion needs to happen, as it's miscommunications like this that actually do impact the game-state. But I don't think it should happen right now - players involved in the ongoing game posting their thoughts about the situation here crosses boundaries I think, especially when the hosts of the game already requested for this discussion to be postponed.

Considering how everyone can host their own games so a lot of games have different rules, I'm honestly surprised this is the first time this has happened. But I think that a solution to this problem can be better came up with once the game has finished. I completely see where you're coming from Lore, but I think discussing anything about it now is only further infringing on the game-state - which only exacerbates the problem, right?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Cool, I'm down with that take then. I just wanted to hear multiple opinions from fellow staff on the matter, due to all parties involved being biased towards locking or unlocking the thread.

SB, feel free to lock again if you'd like.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thanks for understanding, Lore. Pokechu nailed most of the reasons for why a temporary thread lock is the right call here. There's no other Mafia games likely to take place between now and the current one concluding, so I feel this discussion is as valuable then as it would be now, without any potential of impacting the game state.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
So yeah, I'd love to have this worked out with everyone. Even if it's just a simple "bah posts can only be the phrase 'bah, go town/scum', no exceptions" rule, it'd be better than the bare nothing that we have now.

Last edited:

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Honestly we don't need that thread.

Mods dont allow any posts except "bah go town" or "bag go scum"

Players dont break rules or you're blacklisted

Dont break rules, under any circumstances. Dont break rules

Problems solved
Dont break rules

Bah go town, bah go scum, that's it

Blacklisted if you break rules

Be accountable for your own actions

That's it

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If someone breaks the rule, dont also break the rule. Contact the game mod.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Honestly if anyone agrees with you I'm very interested in hearing so

As far as I can tell this discussion isnt necessary

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
i motion that all post-death posts b banned except for gorf being allowed to ****post

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Breaking rules deserves punishment. If someone breaks a rule let the mod handle it.

Maven89

Smash Master
Breaking a rule to tell others to not break a rule shouldn’t be allowed, but I think Modkills should be limited. Editing actual information out of a post, leaking something, or posting during the night phase with game information should all be instant kills. Otherwise rule breaking should be the adding of mod votes, with modkills happening on repeat offenses.
Or in short, modkills should be if a rule is broken in order to affect the game, or if small rules are broken repeatedly

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I honestly think if I die in a Mafia game I should just be allowed to keep playing because I really liven the place up.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Breaking a rule to tell others to not break a rule shouldn’t be allowed, but I think Modkills should be limited. Editing actual information out of a post, leaking something, or posting during the night phase with game information should all be instant kills. Otherwise rule breaking should be the adding of mod votes, with modkills happening on repeat offenses.
Or in short, modkills should be if a rule is broken in order to affect the game, or if small rules are broken repeatedly
If that's the rule, then it welcomes breaking the rules to tell your scummate not to break the rules so people will think us unaligned. Death is used as a penalty so the game doesn't end up like basketball or American football. If a foul doesn't have a severe penalty, there will be cases where "cheating" is to your benefit as the gain outweighs the cost.

Keep killing people if they do anything against the rule that effects people's read on them. I'm not about to play that ****ty game.

Top Bottom