• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Championships Season 6/7 Invitational

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
OK

Speak now or forever hold your peace !!! I don’t want to keep Kary hanging too long so unless a couple more people want to come in and somehow swing the vote, Kary shall be our 2020 representative!!! Woo!!!

Vote: Karebear

LMAO

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
so has anyone heard anything or is there an unread pm in bardulls inbox lol

addendum: I'm 100% going to roll as mafia in this game and play like garbage as a result.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

addendum: I'm 100% going to roll as mafia in this game and play like garbage as a result.
Pretty sure there’s an unread PM in Barney’s box! LMAO

But I’ve kept contact with one of the organizers in the event, I’ll get on setting everything up soon!!!! I’ve just been a little swamped with assignments

There’s still a lot of time for participants to sign up (the deadline’s like the 26th) and I honestly didn’t expect someone to get so many votes so quickly :laugh: but expect an update later today or tomorrow!

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970

It’s definitely going on right now, after checking MU. However, the system seems to be a bit different, and Thingyman doesn’t appear to be hosting this one. Apparently our community has to reach out to Lissa at MU or on Discord and let them know who our representative will be. But maybe we need a formal invitation? Regardless, here is the thread.

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forum...=mafia+championship+season+thread#post3814538

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
It’s definitely going on right now, after checking MU. However, the system seems to be a bit different, and Thingyman doesn’t appear to be hosting this one. Apparently our community has to reach out to Lissa at MU or on Discord and let them know who our representative will be. But maybe we need a formal invitation? Regardless, here is the thread.

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forum...=mafia+championship+season+thread#post3814538
This is correct!! I know Lissa! She’s my homegirl!! I reached out to her on discord and I’m waiting on a response. Don’t tell her I said this, but I think her cat avatar is super rad ;)

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 7)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 7 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 27, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 7 FORMAT

The tournament structure

• 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
  • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 6 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 7 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: JOAT^2

The setup is called JOAT^2 and features 15 players.

The setup consists of the following:

3x Mafia Goon

2x Town Jack Of All Trades (9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker)

10x Vanilla Townie

Note that the Jacks Of All Trades must use all three actions before repeating an action, i.e. they are rotating. This does not mean they must use the actions in the same order every time.

Relevant mechanics info

- Day start.

- Majority lynch is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point in order to lynch.

- Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.

- No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).

- Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).

- Thread is locked during Night Phases.

- Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.

- Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Tracker and the Motion Detector actions.)

- Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.

- Mafia may communicate at any time.

- Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).

- The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 7 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from late April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).

Kind regards,

Lissa

Turns out, they were just falling a little behind on sending out all the invites, so Lissa told me to share this here! We already have our rep chosen so I'll get to working on the whole "signing up" bit with Kary. I remember I had to fill out a few forms stating what time was best for me to play, etc., but this invite still has a lot of neat information!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Woo!! They have everything set up!! I sent it all to Kary! Now let's all congratulate him and shower him with praise!

But there is also the concerns of a replacement!!! Who here volunteers as tribute to be Kary's replacement, should he have something come up? Don't be shy, folks! Step up to the plate Embarrass

Let's get out our votes again!!

Vote: Strong Badam Strong Badam

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Woo!! They have everything set up!! I sent it all to Kary! Now let's all congratulate him and shower him with praise!

But there is also the concerns of a replacement!!! Who here volunteers as tribute to be Kary's replacement, should he have something come up? Don't be shy, folks! Step up to the plate Embarrass

Let's get out our votes again!!

Vote: Strong Badam Strong Badam
LOL what, someone who has played forum mafia more than once should be the replacement.

And the best backup is LAST YEAR'S CHAMPION, Pokechu Pokechu

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm signed up for Game 2 starting on Monday! Send me all of your energy. Actually, just the good energy please.
Wow!!! That was quick!!! I deliberately chose the last game of the season LOL

But I hope everything goes well for you! Well, that's a lie. I know everything will go well for you!! Show them what you're made of!!! I can be the devil on your shoulder!!! Someone else from here can be your angel.

Will definitely try to read your game!!!

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I'm signed up for Game 2 starting on Monday! Send me all of your energy. Actually, just the good energy please.
some advice if you hav an ear to hear

- when the game starts, you may feel some tension. a lot of ppl are tense and a bit nervous as the game begins cuz they kno a lot of eyes are on the thread. you may feel this, it was palpable in my game, work through it

- hav confidence in your own ability and stay true to yourself. i kno a lot of the ppl on mu would love your aggressive, vote-throwing, no bull**** style

- it may b prudent to let the playerbase kno of your timezone and how that might impact your participation

- participate in the end of day, the last hour or two leading up to deadline. sometimes there are vote switches and this is where the game often gets the most dynamic, so this is a good spot to hav influence and pull when it comes to deciding the lynch

- b wary of culture clash/playstyle differences. youve got a melting pot of different playstyles coming together at once which can lead to ****storms, so put some thought into whats scummy versus what are misunderstandings

and thats it. best of luck karebear!

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Petition to get Kary to namechange to Karebear?

Thingyman

Smash Cadet
Hi guys

Kary’s game has started: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forum...ine-vs-Fire-Department-The-Mafia-Championship

Game 2 - May 4 (72/24 phases, 12 PM EST EOD)
@Armin94 (GreyWolf Promised Wolves)
@Captan_Lunch (No Goblins Allowed)
@cayvie (Dominion Strategy)
@El Quintron (DSLReports)
@Ephemera (PokeBeach)
EXALT EXALT (SSCU Trench Wars Forums)
I icy Tea (Bay 12 Games)
@Jamezbeast (Discord Mafia!)
@Justplayingitcool (Neoseeker - Wrestling)
@Kary (Smashboards)
@Keith (PokeCommunity)
@Nano4 (Reborn Evolved)
@Rhand (MTG Salvation)
@Rysler (HogwartsWerewolves)
@TheWabbit (Town of Salem)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
We have a big server on Discord (1,000+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/CwDKmjQ

2) Upon joining the server, please inform us of who you are and which community you are from. We will then give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Mafia Championship Podcast
For the first time ever, there will be a Mafia Championship podcast.

The first episode goes live on Twitch at Sunday 4 PM Eastern. It will feature 3-4 former winners.

It will go live here, if you are interested: https://www.twitch.tv/mrthingyman/

Where do I get more info?
Refer to this thread: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/25499-Season-7-General-Information

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes a list of the 165 participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Discord is Thingyman#6075

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
WE LOVE YOU, KAREBEAR!!!!

I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE DESTINED FOR GREATNESSS

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am now watching, you can do it Kary

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
YOO let's go Kary bring it home for Smashboards! And if you lose horribly at least have fun while doing it, we'll still love you

1589294806328.png

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
this was a lie btw

p.s. if you have some sort of secret champs spectator chat please invite me.
I’m not sure if there’s one here, I would’ve gotten one set up but I felt it’d be a little wrong since I was your replacement LOL

But I think the MU discord has a spectator chat! I could be wrong though

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Yeah I did join the MU discord but they have 1 spectator chat for ALL the games which is the wrong way to do it in my humble opinion. Thanks though.

I legit broke my mousewheel while scrolling through that game for the record. Sigh.

Guess we just sit and wait til the end now.

Maven89

Smash Master
edit: I don’t know if this was right to say before the game officially ended so I removed it.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I read the whole game and will post thoughts here once it's over.

Edit: If people think this would be a good idea I guess we could start a PM to discuss now? Like this post if you want to be added to said PM.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I think the culture clash in the game was especially difficult to overcome, I haven't ready many championship games but I remember some people talking about not really understanding day play? That plus the number of lurkers/hardly posters probably made the game really frustrating to play.

Maven89

Smash Master
While I hope Kary had a good time, I felt guilty nominating him. His game had a town member screaming and hurling feces at people for not joining him in lynching their last claimed PR, while the PR just tunneled non stop and demanded all the days attention. Day 3 was probably the most frustrated I’ve felt in a mafia game, and I wasn’t even playing in it

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I think the culture clash in the game was especially difficult to overcome, I haven't ready many championship games but I remember some people talking about not really understanding day play? That plus the number of lurkers/hardly posters probably made the game really frustrating to play.
several townies gave townreads to an inactive because they didnt seem to understand the game very well.
that inactive was mafia.

While I hope Kary had a good time, I felt guilty nominating him. His game had a town member screaming and hurling feces at people for not joining him in lynching their last claimed PR, while the PR just tunneled non stop and demanded all the days attention. Day 3 was probably the most frustrated I’ve felt in a mafia game, and I wasn’t even playing in it
Day 3 wasn't the worst day I don't think. But it certainly wasn't a good performance from town.

I feel like I just got randomized into a bad game overall in terms of playstyle clashes and inactivity. *shrug*
Then again apparently game 4 had a modkill? so what are you gonna do.

One of the previous champs winners said they liked my play, so that's nice!
I of course didn't recognize them leading to unintentional slights against them
That's so Kary

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
culture clash happens so much to the point i wouldnt nominate anyone to play there, ive seen this many times over the years. i just dont say anything cuz everyone gets hype about it

who gave you props kary?

Top Bottom