• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia Championships Season 6/7 Invitational

BarDulL

Town Vampire

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen! It's me, your friendly neighborhood Bard, coming at you live from Domino Cit-- I mean, DGamesia headquarters with some big news!

*ahem*

Thingyman Thingyman has formally invited Decisive Games to attend the Mafia Championships! Oh my! Isn't that the largest gathering of Mafia communities that comes together to compete in Forum Mafia?! What a turn of events!! Let's see what he has to say...
I'm hosting a very big Mafia Championship tournament, featuring 187 different sites, and would like to extend an invitation to your community. Smashboards has participated ever since season 1 :)

The Mafia Championship - if you haven't heard about it - is a super fun event that's been running since 2013 and it's built a lot of awesome relationships between communities and has even led to several romantic real life relationships, including marriages, if you'd believe it. Essentially, the concept is that each community democratically elects one person to go represent them in the Championship. I'd be stoked to see you guys represented, so if this invitation intrigues you, feel very free to share it with your fellow community members :)

If you have any questions, just let me know.

The invitation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x7nJkSPmv1ZtSKFdSmLsvD4DQoX13i2MA9VG5p4W4/edit

The invitation (with bbcode, if you want to paste to the forum): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QEJwZulKKsEH9QjL0bGmq8BqYxkxCUG6-geM9MighfM/edit
If you're interested in participating in this event, let it be heard in the thread!

NOTE: We only get to choose one representative, and ONLY one! Once we have our nominees sorted out, we'll do a poll to decide who should go for it! Or something. I don't know! All I know is that it's a great opportunity to participate in one of the larger Forum mafia competitions to date, as well as an opportunity to engage multiple new people that are good at Mafia!

ARE. YOU. ALL. READY?!?!!!!?! Let your voices be heard!

Deadline is set for April 20th, 2019, at 12:00AM CST (the best timezone in the world)

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
ooo OK I'd be down for this ;);) when I open my third eye I can REALLY go to town (no pun intended)

I definitely don't think I'd be the best pick though... #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe would probably own this.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
how is this on year 6 already tf
i thought we sent j, gorf... ?

ooo OK I'd be down for this ;);) when I open my third eye I can REALLY go to town (no pun intended)
its a shame you're strictly not qualified
jk I don't mind if you want to go

I would point out that its a semi open role madness setup, there's details in the link Bard posted.

I would also add that the best way to agree on a candidate is for people to speak up if they want to go:

I definitely don't think I'd be the best pick though...
this isn't the attitude to have. as long as you don't act like a jerk there's no reason why you can't be our representative. It's best to send someone who is keen to do it, doesn't really matter whether they're our 'strongest' player (whatever that means).

also just as a note, they say the game is very active, i never had the patience to read them but i could believe it.

p.s. bard the arcanine is a nice touch but lose the wider picture, have you no eye for beauty and etc. p.p.s. thanks for organizing this

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I appreciate you dropping my name for this Maven and Pokechu, but I'm definitely nowhere near in skill than a lot of you here, yourselves included. The more historied members of Dgames would make a stronger impression than myself.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
how is this on year 6 already tf
i thought we sent j, gorf... ?

its a shame you're strictly not qualified
jk I don't mind if you want to go

I would point out that its a semi open role madness setup, there's details in the link Bard posted.

I would also add that the best way to agree on a candidate is for people to speak up if they want to go:

this isn't the attitude to have. as long as you don't act like a jerk there's no reason why you can't be our representative. It's best to send someone who is keen to do it, doesn't really matter if they're not our 'strongest' player (whatever that means).

also just as a note, they say the game is very active, i never had the patience to read them but i could believe it.

p.s. bard the arcanine is a nice touch but lose the wider picture, have you no eye for beauty and etc. p.p.s. thanks for organizing this
Wow! Kary giving me faith and reassurance!? :'^) I feel special!

I just felt that we should be in it to win it! And knowing my history the town would lynch me D1, when have they not? LOL

I did read that it'd be really active but I think it'd be happening in like late April/in May? In that case I think I'd do fine, I think I could flex! :laugh:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I appreciate you dropping my name for this Maven and Pokechu, but I'm definitely nowhere near in skill than a lot of you here, yourselves included. The more historied members of Dgames would make a stronger impression than myself.
Whaaaat? No WAY! You're top tier! ZeRo would main you. You're really good, don't sell yourself short! ...Or maybe modesty is just your superpower? :smirk:

Oh well! It's whatever you want to do, it'd be nice to see you in mafia again. You hold not 100%, but 200% of my support - hooray! LOL

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What forum will this be played on? I'd love to see follow along and see how our rep plays.
I'm a DGames newb but this stuff is rad.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
mafia is not actually an individual game though.
also there's no prizes so y'know
That's true... I'd just feel really bad going if there's someone else who might get further. But those are some good points!! And (I think) we're voting on who to send anyways, so it's a democracy! Rejoice, my fellow brethren!

:bluejump:

Last edited:

Alice Phantasma

Smash Apprentice
If only the site I hosted mafia on didn't die before this existed. I wonder who we'd send lol.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I agree with pretty much everything said so far regarding qualifications. Historically we've sent players that generally did well in games (we know they can build strong arguments, keep themselves away from being lynched, yada yada) but that's not the end-all, be-all. So long as the rep can commit time to it and be a positive contributor (that means falling with grace), then it's all well and good really (I'm pretty sure everyone here would be fine in this regard lol.)

I know we sent J, Gorf, Ryker, I'm pretty sure Ryker/Laundry hydra'd for one as well and did really well, can't remember who else was involved.

ALSO, forgot to mention this, but we need a back-up in case anything happens that would prevent our rep from playing. So I'm thinking the person with the second most votes would be the backup.

One more thing I forgot to mention, credit goes to Tom Tom for connecting me with Thingyman regarding this dealio!

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I know we sent J, Gorf, Ryker, I'm pretty sure Ryker/Laundry hydra'd for one as well and did really well, can't remember who else was involved.
From my browsing their site, it was J, Ryker, Gorf, Ryker, Marshy.
They also had some non-championship hydra games so I guess that was the hydra you mentioned.

Maven89

Smash Master
I think Ryker went the farther, to the championship game. All I care about is sending someone who won't make us look like chumps

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
i dont think weve ever sent marshy, but we def have played some matches there

honestly from players that are active id say maven, nabe or even tom would be dank

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i think people who have been active consistently and take pride in their game and want to rep us should vote: themselves and ask for seconds

that'd be dope

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nabe, Holder, GLG, and Red Ryu are the ones I would nominate for something like this.

Vaan as well but he doesn't play Mafia anymore.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Ok I have an idea.

PM me if you are interested in playing in this event. OR, send me a PM to nominate a player and I'll ask the nominated player if they want to participate or not in a poll vote. We'll get a poll going in like a week or so.

#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe I'll PM you

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
(Or do you guys just think we should gradually reach community consensus in this thread? IDK, whatever you guys want to do.)

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I think reaching community consensus here is better, I think since it's public it can gauge support on nominees more (like, I specifically mentioned Nabe but I'm also 100% in support of others like GLG, Kary, etc.) and it's easier to see where people's minds are at.

But that's just my $0.02! Only two pennies! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

GLG is the best combination of "mafia skill" and "ability to make a good impression".
I love ya'll but some of you can come off as abrasive. And then you have Pokechu who would just get modkilled for sexual harassment.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I definitely think whoever we send should be someone that wants to do it and isn’t someone who is being sent because the community wants them to do it.

Agree that whoever wants to do it should post here or PM bard and he should make a poll.

I think pokechu would be a good rep too and he seems to be the only person that wants to do it.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
And then you have Pokechu who would just get modkilled for sexual harassment.
Hey!....

I only drop pick-up lines to those who have stolen my heart!

That's why I'm Sliding In :^) to you right now~ LOL

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Also, if we do the poll, it would be a private poll where you send your vote to myself/moy/ryu (or maybe a trusted third party not super active in the community like Xiivi). That way there isn't an awkward public skewering going on amidst a public poll where one person is just way ahead in votes lol

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Also, if we do the poll, it would be a private poll where you send your vote to myself/moy/ryu (or maybe a trusted third party not super active in the community like Xiivi). That way there isn't an awkward public skewering going on amidst a public poll where one person is just way ahead in votes lol
I'm a mod too. Y'all can't send votes to me? I'm in the running, but... don't worry. I definitely wouldn't tamper the votes... why would I ever do that? ;)

that's a shame tho I was going to suggest Moy to do it too LOL

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
(alternatively we could do a public poll but I don't think anyone really wants that and also this way we can limit votes to just active community members).

I'm a mod too. Y'all can't send votes to me? I'm in the running, but... don't worry. I definitely wouldn't tamper the votes... why would I ever do that? ;)

that's a shame tho I was going to suggest Moy to do it too LOL
We came to the conclusion that it's probably best not to hand you DMs on a silver platter. At least when you try to slide, you can get burned. :awesome:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
(alternatively we could do a public poll but I don't think anyone really wants that and also this way we can limit votes to just active community members).

We came to the conclusion that it's probably best not to hand you DMs on a silver platter. At least when you try to slide, you can get burned. :awesome:

does this count as flaming? because this was a burn

LOL

Top Bottom